Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Anyone use Power-line Adapters for Internet Networking?

My wireless network is sometimes unreliable upstairs which is where my gaming consoles are. With my friend deciding to get NCAA Football and with the league forming here, I'm considering buying a better solution. I've read good reviews, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with actually using Power-line adapters or a similar product? Also, has anyone found any good 802.11n devices that work with the 360?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-25-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I'm using the solution from Linksys which is a pair of PLE200 adapters.

My router and main network area is located in the back of my house with the PS3, 360 and Wii across the house in the living room. Performance has been perfect.

I'm able to stream movies from my media center machine to the 360, stream movies and usic form shares to the PS3 and do lots of things without the network crapping out.

The back of the house is running on new wire (it an addition) and the front of the house is still on the original 1945 wire. I thought this would be a problem but turns out to not be an issue.

I think the linksys kit sells under the PLK200 name, really it's just a pair of the PLE200's in one box.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm leaning towards picking up a pair of PLE200 adapters tomorrow. Do you have anything plugged into the same outlet as the adapters? If so, do you notice any degradation of transmission speeds compared to when they have their own outlet?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I have power strips plugged into both outlets (for the rest of my hardware) and don't notice any issues when the adapters are sharing.

One thing to keep in mine is that the powerline adapters must be plugged directly into the outlets. You can't plug them into a power strip or anything else.

Last edited by Yellow5 : 05-26-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
DanGarion
Coordinator

You should only use them on direct connections on outlets (not on a strip or extension cord). Also if you have more then one electric panel for your house (big house) it will only work on one of the panels, not through to both. There should be no degradation regardless if anything else is plugged into the outlet, the powerline adapters use different frequencies then electricity.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
You should only use them on direct connections on outlets (not on a strip or extension cord). Also if you have more then one electric panel for your house (big house) it will only work on one of the panels, not through to both. There should be no degradation regardless if anything else is plugged into the outlet, the powerline adapters use different frequencies then electricity.

I do have 2 panels, but the rooms I want to connect are on the same panel, so it sounds like this will work for me. Thanks for the info, guys.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I made one stupid mistake when hooking these up today in that I didn't turn on the 360 when I connected the 2nd adapter. Once I did that (took me about 30 minutes to figure out that was the problem,) the setup was easy.

For the past 2 months, I'd always disconnect within 2 hours or usually much less from Live due to my wireless strength dropping too low upstairs. Now, I've been connected to Live for 2 hour straight with no problems. Also, using the config utility, I see that I'm getting very good transfer speeds (compared to my wireless anyway.)
Old 11-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
rjolley
College Starter

EF27, is this still working well for you? Where'd you pick up the devices?

I'm having the same issue at home (wireless signal degradation upstairs) and I'm hoping this will solve the problem.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Dunno about him, but my Linksys solution is working like a champ. I am able to stream netflix movies to my 360 no problem, even in HD.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
rjolley
College Starter

Thanks Yellow5. I'm going to pick a set up at Best Buy tonight. Looking at the Linksys PLK300.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
EF27, is this still working well for you? Where'd you pick up the devices?

I'm having the same issue at home (wireless signal degradation upstairs) and I'm hoping this will solve the problem.

Yes, I bought mine from Best Buy I believe. They are working great. Gives me a rock solid connection for my 360 and online gaming. I also have the Linksys PLK300.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-16-2009 at 06:49 PM.