7 Los Angeles Clippers
8 Milwaukee Bucks
9 Charlotte Bobcats
10 New Jersey Nets
11 Indiana Pacers 8
12 Sacramento Kings
13 Portland Trail Blazers
14 Golden State Warriors
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I am going to go ahead and pre-order my Derrick Rose jersey now..
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

rigged
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
rigged

Funny thing is, I got a bunch of texts regarding the NBA wanting its 3 "premiere" historic franchises on top again and so having this lottery rigged.

Oh well, I'll take it.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Funny thing is, I got a bunch of texts regarding the NBA wanting its 3 "premiere" historic franchises on top again and so having this lottery rigged.

Oh well, I'll take it.

LOL

Im just giving you guys a hard time. Congrats. Even though it does strike me as odd that more often than not the team with the most chances doesnt win. I cant be too bitter, I was hoping for the twolves to get #1 even though McHale would mess it up anyway plus they could have the top 3 picks and still find a way to suck for the next 10 years.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
st.cronin
General Manager

I actually think it will be:

1. Beasley
2. Rose

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Groundhog
Coordinator

If your the Bulls do you take Rose and move Hinrich and/or Gordon? Or do you take Beasley and move Tyrus and/or Gooden?

Deng (is his contract up?) & Beasley is a versastile frontcourt. But is Rose too good to pass up?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Really the only people speculating the Bulls not wanting Rose are sources not in the Chicago area. We've been hearing about the kid since his middle school days and the media onslaught was just overbearing during his NCAA run.

With Beasley's supposed character issues, I think Paxson would almost be committing career suicide if he did not take the hometown favorite who very well looks to be in the Paul/Deron level of talent.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
If your the Bulls do you take Rose and move Hinrich and/or Gordon? Or do you take Beasley and move Tyrus and/or Gooden?

Deng (is his contract up?) & Beasley is a versastile frontcourt. But is Rose too good to pass up?

Take Rose and move Gordon, let Hinrich play SG.

The Bulls already have 2 projects in Joakim Noah and Tyrus Thomas and I'm not entirely sure how much value they would have as trade bait. Gooden is a known quantity I think and wouldn't get that much back in return I think plus he appears to be a decent veteran presence. Re-sign Deng.

That gives a roster of:
PG: Rose
SG: Hinrich
SF: Deng
PF: Thomas/Gooden
C: Noah (he's kinda Tyson Chandler like imo)
Sixth man: Hughes / (whoever you get in trade for Gordon)

Should be good enough to do well in the East.

Last edited by law90026 : 05-20-2008 at 08:07 PM.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
korme
Go Reds

Perhaps I was wrong

I was pissed I had the lottery DVR'd and was watching about 10 minutes in and got a text that said "watch out for the bulls next yr" thus ruining all suspense.

Last edited by korme : 05-20-2008 at 08:12 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Out of all people here Neuqua I'm surprised you think Rose is going to go first. First to many, yes, but not to the Bulls, who will definitely take Beasley.

Honestly, no chance.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
korme
Go Reds

After reading your original posts it seems to make sense, so I guess I was just naive thinking Hinrich-Gordon a lock
Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

At this very early point, I think:

1. Chi - Beasley
2. Mia - Rose
3. Minn - Bayless
4. Sea - Lopez
5. Mem - Mayo/Gordon
Old 05-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
After reading your original posts it seems to make sense, so I guess I was just naive thinking Hinrich-Gordon a lock

Well, Chad Ford agrees with you atleast.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
korme
Go Reds

Yea but Chad Ford isn't from the Chicago area!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
Groundhog
Coordinator

Chad Ford's on Aussie big man Nathan Jawai:

"The skinny: The Grizzlies need a power forward with some real power, and Jawai has that in abundance. He's coming off a big year in Australia, and his game resembles Elton Brand's a little. At this point in the draft, he's worth the risk."

I saw an awful lot of Jawai last season, and he looked like a young Shaq against our comp's bigmen (largely finesse Aussie bigs or undersized Americans), but he is nothing at all like Elton Brand. He dunks everything near the basket and has great potential as a rebounder and shot blocker, but he has no midrange game to speak of as yet and is going to have an awful lot of trouble with fouls once he has to defend guys his own size.

I do think with his freakish blend of size and athleticism that he'd be a very nice pickup in the 20-30 range though, and I suspect the Spurs at #26 or the Sonics at #24 will be all over him.

I only wish we had the same quality of Guards coming out of Australia right now as we do bigs (Vandy's Ogilvy, Milwaukee's Bogut, Andersen at CSKA Jawai)... Only Pat Mills at St. Mary's looks like a potential future NBA player at guard.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #17
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Last edited by Neuqua : 05-20-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #18
MrBug708
Head Coach

So does Westbrook fall past Indiana?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #19
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So does Westbrook fall past Indiana?

He'll go higher IMO. There are too many SGs slotted high in the lottery, and I think Westbrook will go higher than is expected right now due to his ability to play the point.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

I know that Portland really wants him, but his ability to play both guard spots as well as his defensive abilities probably means he won't be there for the Blazers.

Kevin Love to the Bobcats?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #21
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Kevin Love to the Bobcats?

His stock seems to be rising, could wind up higher than that even. If Lopez goes very early (like pick 3 or 4), Love is the next best big and might not go too long after Lopez.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #22
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Do you guys really think Love is going to be decent at the NBA level? He was the player I most feared we were going to end up getting stuck with at #9. It's an honest question, not bashing. I can see how he did well in college but don't think his game is going to translate at all in the pros.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #23
Galaxy
Coordinator

I haven't followed the Bulls right now. How good is the current roster?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #24
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Oh, and anyone but Bug is allowed to answer my question.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #25
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Do you guys really think Love is going to be decent at the NBA level? He was the player I most feared we were going to end up getting stuck with at #9. It's an honest question, not bashing. I can see how he did well in college but don't think his game is going to translate at all in the pros.

He's Elton Brand just not quite as big but better feel for the game as well as the "best outlet passer since Wes Unseld"

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-20-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #26
st.cronin
General Manager

I think Love will be a good, unique player in the NBA, maybe comparable to Christian Laettner in his better moments.

knives out
Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #27
MrBug708
Head Coach

Eh, I think he'll be solid but I doubt he'll be an all star
Old 05-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #28
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Ben Gordon is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. Prince of the score 30, give your man 35 camp (Michael Redd is the King).

I'd be scared about Beasley based off how he didn't lift weights for a year because the gym was too cold.

And I think Kevin Love will be a solid starter in the NBA. He might need the right post player next to him (good, athletic defender) but I don't see any way he won't contribute at least as part of a 3-big man rotation in the post.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #29
Groundhog
Coordinator

The biggest problem with Love was exposed in their loss to Memphis. He is a strong but ground-bound kind of player, and he'll struggle to be a big scorer in the NBA because of his lack of length. He's lost some weight which will probably help, but watching him I can't help but think of Nick Collison in his senior year at Kansas. Love should be better, but right now I see him bound for a status of "solid role-player", which makes him a decent pick in the mid-to-late lottery.

If there's one player you should be concerned about your team taking in the picks 8 through 14, it's DeAndre Jordan.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #30
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Ben Gordon is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. Prince of the score 30, give your man 35 camp (Michael Redd is the King).

I agree, except it's not even score 30 - it's score 30 once every 4 games (while shooting 22% in the other 3 combined), yet give up 35 every night.

Michael Redd has gone from one of my favourite players to a selfish, one-dimensional ballhog.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #31
korme
Go Reds

I see Love as one of those players who you constantly look at his body and wonder how he is continually successful in the NBA (hmm, Glenn Robinson-esque maybe), or I see him as a bust. There's no middle ground.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #32
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ford
The skinny: If the team drafts for need, Lopez will be the guy. The Wolves really need a center, and Lopez should be a good fit.

The Wolves really need a point guard, two guard and small forward also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ford
But don't count out Danilo Gallinari, who could be a surprise pick here.

I would not be surprised if McHale takes a foreign guy who will never be any good.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #33
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I see Love as one of those players who you constantly look at his body and wonder how he is continually successful in the NBA (hmm, Glenn Robinson-esque maybe), or I see him as a bust. There's no middle ground.
The Christian Laettner "solid role player/starter constantly labeled a bust" role feels most likely to me. Even down to being a big white guy who "plays the game the right way" from a traditional power.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #34
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
LOL

Im just giving you guys a hard time. Congrats. Even though it does strike me as odd that more often than not the team with the most chances doesnt win. I cant be too bitter, I was hoping for the twolves to get #1 even though McHale would mess it up anyway plus they could have the top 3 picks and still find a way to suck for the next 10 years.

The top 2 are the only ones I'd be confident McHale wouldn't be able to screw up, but there's always a chance that he would have swapped Rose or Beasley for a few million dollars. Would have loved to get Rose, they definitely need a starting quailty point guard.

I'm completely certain that McHale will manage to screw this pick up. They haven't come out of the first round with a good player since Wally Szczerbiak in '99, and that wasn't even that great a pick.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #35
st.cronin
General Manager

I am not convinced that Rose will be an elite point guard in the NBA. He's a great athlete, and has very good ball skills, but I am not particularly impressed by his court vision.

knives out
Old 05-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #36
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
The top 2 are the only ones I'd be confident McHale wouldn't be able to screw up, but there's always a chance that he would have swapped Rose or Beasley for a few million dollars. Would have loved to get Rose, they definitely need a starting quailty point guard.

I'm completely certain that McHale will manage to screw this pick up. They haven't come out of the first round with a good player since Wally Szczerbiak in '99, and that wasn't even that great a pick.

To be fair, you guys havent had a ton of first round picks either
Old 05-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #37
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
To be fair, you guys havent had a ton of first round picks either

True, but with moves like trading Roy for Randy Foye and drafting Corey Brewer McHale hasn't done well with what he has had. It's also kind of McHale's fault they haven't had many picks.

Last edited by mckerney : 05-20-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #38
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I am not convinced that Rose will be an elite point guard in the NBA. He's a great athlete, and has very good ball skills, but I am not particularly impressed by his court vision.

I think Rose will be an elite point guard.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #39
st.cronin
General Manager

I guess I see him more like a D-Wade player.

knives out
Old 05-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #40
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

That's probably good enough for most teams >.>
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #41
st.cronin
General Manager

Yeah, I didn't mean I don't think he's going to be a good player. He just seems more like a Penny Hardaway or a Steve Francis, as opposed to a Chris Paul or Deron Williams.

knives out
Old 05-20-2008, 11:57 PM   #42
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I actually have had this conversation with people about Deng. The guy was heralded as a God by Paxson. He probably could have gotten Kobe or Garnett in the past few years if he had given him up in a package deal (Paxson refused to put Deng in any deal). Don't get me wrong, the guy is a real good ballplayer, has a nice mid-range jumper and is strong inside. But he can't handle the ball at all and isn't all that athletic. He's the 3rd best player on a Championship caliber team.

Godron is overated too, but I still think it's hard to find guys out there who can just score like him. He doesn't play defense and has trouble against bigger guards, but he is still one of the few players who can come in and put up 40 points on any given night. I think his role is still best suited as a 6th man on a good team and the guy who comes in late in the 1st quarter fresh and just tears up the 2nd team. He excelled in that role with the Bulls but had trouble when they called on him to be the star.

I'm a Bulls season ticket holder so this pick is huge for my interest in next season. I'd honestly be happy with either. Beasley helps the team win now and really is probably the best fit for the roster. They'd be able to throw out Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Beasley, and Noah every night. Their bench would be deep with Thabo, Gooden, Hughes, and Nocioni. The inside presence of Beasley should open up shots for Gordon and Hinrich. They still would fall into that trap of having a lot of above average players and no superstars.

Rose makes sense being a Chicago kid, but they'd have to dump Gordon off on someone. A sign and trade with him and another youngster (Tyrus Thomas or Thabo) should garner a solid player.

One thing is for certain, this had to sting D'antoni. A guy like Rose is perfect for his style of ball and the current Bulls roster is much more built for his style of ball than the Knicks.

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-21-2008 at 12:03 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #43
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
He doesn't have the explosiveness or finishing ability Wade has.

I also don't know how you can make the comparision to Francis or Hardaway, two shoot first guards. Rose is always looking to pass first, which is what has made him receive comparisions to a young Isiah. Every scouting report says his best asset is his court vision and ball handling. Not too mention he plays defense unlike Francis and Hardaway.

I just think those players are complete opposites.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:06 AM   #44
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why not trade the #1 to Minnesota for Foye/#3, and then Chicago takes Brook Lopez?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:07 AM   #45
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Why not trade the #1 to Minnesota for Foye/#3, and then Chicago takes Brook Lopez?

Get rid of Foye and get Rose? That would be awesome.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #46
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Because the city would kill Paxson. He's made some huge blunders the last few years, and there is no way he'll pass up on making a huge PR splash with drafting Rose. And while I argued Beasley in another post, Rose will be the pick here. He's from Chicago, adored in Chicago, and brings a ton of buzz back to the city. Not to mention, the Bulls need a superstar, not more depth.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #47
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Depends on the team. I think he could do well in an up-tempo transition offense. He's a great passer and has the ability to score when he needs to. I don't think he'll ever be an all-star, but I think he can be a starter on a decent team.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #48
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
LOL

I think if it was rigged they'd get Rose to New York, not Chicago. Despite the crap Chicago pulled last season, they still have a good public image in the city and sellout. The Knicks are a disaster and if anyone needed him, it would be them (especially with D'antoni).

Also, if they were into the rigging of drafts. Last year would have been a much better year when they could have gotten either the Bulls or Celtics into the top 2.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:25 AM   #49
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Seen some drafts with the Clips taking that Italian SF or Batum from France for their pick. For Pete's sake, no. I am normally the furthest from an ehtnocentrist, but I am convinced it is much, much more difficult to get true value out of a Top 10 European pick then out of a player from the American gaming system. It's harder to be sure about players from across the oceans and how they will adapt, and the Clips aren't in a position to cross their fingers on a pick like that. I am hoping for Gordon actually.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:07 AM   #50
MrBug708
Head Coach

I hope the Clips get Westy. I'd love to hear him saying "It's hip to Clip"