Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The Mole (starts June 2nd)

Really getting excited to see the new season of the Mole. Premiere is June 2nd at 10:00 Eastern/9:00 Central Time. Jon Kelley is the host of the show. Contestant bios are also now up on the Mole's official website. Pretty diverse group it would appear.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/themole/...hostbio#t=host

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Wow, I'd forgotten about this show. Didn't they do a season or two, then a few years of Celebrity Edition and ditch it? Or did they sneak a few more seasons in that I missed?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

It's the black guy! I win!!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah I think there were two seasons. I loved them. I hope the show is still good without Anderson Cooper. He was great. Celebrity Mole was stupid and annoying which has me worried.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Is there a supermodel in the contestant list? If so, there's your mole right there.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Wow, I'd forgotten about this show. Didn't they do a season or two, then a few years of Celebrity Edition and ditch it? Or did they sneak a few more seasons in that I missed?

There were 2 seasons hosted by Anderson Cooper followed by two seasons of Celebrity Mole hosted by Ahmad Rashad. This will be the 5th season in the U.S. The show has been produced in 40 countries thus far after being created in the Netherlands. Here's the history of the show and the familiar rules/competitions.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mole_%28TV_series%29
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Couldn't they have found a way to get Stephen Baldwin and Corbin Bernson back in?

I know it's not "Celebrity" any more, but hey, neither are they.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Couldn't they have found a way to get Stephen Baldwin and Corbin Bernson back in?

I know it's not "Celebrity" any more, but hey, neither are they.

Zing!

I love this show. I can't wait to see it again.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:17 AM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Missed this show. It never seemed to catch on even though a lot of people who I know that watch other 'reality' shows seemed to like this one a lot.

Glad to see it's coming back.

Always thought it would be cool to get on this show as the mole.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just a reminder that this starts tonight at 10pm. I expect you all to post immediately after with your thoughts on who the Mole is.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
MJ4H
Coordinator

Awesome. I recorded the marathon of The Mole on FOX Reality yesterday and watched 4 episodes last night and was absolutely engrossed. I forgot how good this show was. I even remember who wins and who the Mole was and that just made it more fun. I remember the show drops hints via editing at who the mole is and it was fun watching for those.

I really hope the host is good because Anderson Cooper was so perfect for this show. If the show is bad (think Ahmad Rashas) this thing stands no chance.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
rjolley
College Starter

I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed The Mole when it was on and was disappointed when they changed the format. Hopefully, this is as good as the original version.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #13
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah Matt, can't imagine anyone being as good as Anderson Cooper was as host, so that has me worried. I'm probably one of the few that didn't mind Ahmad Rashad as host, but glad he's not doing this one.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
TredWel
High School Varsity

I loved the show when it was first on, and had lost all hope in seeing it again in the original format. The celebrity editions were OK, but no show doing poorly in the ratings was ever saved by adding the word "Celebrity" to the title, so I was surprised to see a second celebrity edition. Happy to see that it has returned, and the TiVo is set.

Also interested to see how the new guy is. If the job Anderson Cooper did was an A, and drunk asshole Anderson Cooper from the second season was an A+, Ahmad Rashad was a C, at best.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks for the bump.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #16
Thomkal
Head Coach

well I thought the new host was pretty bleh, the jump over a waterfall was pretty cool, the game on the beach was ok, and I'm not surprised at all at who was eliminated based on how much that person was featured during the course of the show.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #17
MJ4H
Coordinator

This show sucks without Anderson Cooper. I hated how much they did right off the bat to cause conflict. In the original the players bonded right off the bat (having to all jump out of a plane for a nice easy first win).

Hopefully it will get better, but I'm not encouraged. Plus everyone is like the same person.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #18
molson
General Manager

Here's what I never got about the show - it seemed like the "quizzes" all assumed that everyone already knew who the mole was, you just had to remember little details like what they were wearing, where they sat at dinner, etc.

Those kinds of questions are pointless - if you knew who the mole was, it was just a memory game, and if you didn't, it was just a random guess. By the end of the game, the last couple of people HAD to know who the mole was to do well on that kind of test, yet everyone acted like it was still in doubt.

I mean, in order to get ANY of those quiz answers right, you have to KNOW 100% who the mole is, or you're totally guessing.

Last edited by molson : 06-02-2008 at 11:05 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #19
Thomkal
Head Coach

That's somewhat true Molson, but on some questions you can put the odds in your favor if you don't know who the Mole is by picking the larger group of people available. Like with the one question you could pick the scavengers since there was more of them.

I also could have done without the return of the "confessionals" about the person just eliminated. Instead I would like to see how the eliminated person voted on 1 or 2 questions to help in figuring out who the Mole is by ourselves.

I just wish ABC had gone with a known host with charisma/wit or had worked with this guy to get him more comfortable. Maybe he will grow into a bit more as the show goes on.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 AM   #20
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Here's what I never got about the show - it seemed like the "quizzes" all assumed that everyone already knew who the mole was, you just had to remember little details like what they were wearing, where they sat at dinner, etc.

Those kinds of questions are pointless - if you knew who the mole was, it was just a memory game, and if you didn't, it was just a random guess. By the end of the game, the last couple of people HAD to know who the mole was to do well on that kind of test, yet everyone acted like it was still in doubt.

I mean, in order to get ANY of those quiz answers right, you have to KNOW 100% who the mole is, or you're totally guessing.

The quiz is sort of tiered from general to specific. Some questions have large groups as the answer, and some questions are very specific (like the last one, "Who is The Mole?") You can employ different strategies to try to hedge your bets, put all your eggs in one basket, etc. But there are questions like "Is the mole right or left handed?" where there are only two options. Obviously you don't have to know who the mole is to get this one right, but if you do, you have a better chance. There is the skill of knowing who the mole is correctly PLUS knowing details about them and everyone else, plus a little luck/skill in getting the general groups of people right. It is really a pretty neat mechanic and I like that they showed what most/all of the quiz was like.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #21
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Mrs Tyke & I watched this for the first time (missing the first season). I'm definitely intrigued and plan to continue watching. But I have a question... what does the mole get? I understand how he/she is sabotaging the challenges to reduce the amount of money going into the pool. Does the Mole win the money if he/she outlasts all other contestants? And if so, then by sabotaging the games, is it counter-productive?

Last edited by tyketime : 06-04-2008 at 10:36 AM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #22
TredWel
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Mrs Tyke & I watched this for the first time (missing the first season). I'm definitely intrigued and plan to continue watching. But I have a question... what does the mole get? I understand how he/she is sabotaging the challenges to reduce the amount of money going into the pool. Does the Mole win the money if he/she outlasts all other contestants? And if so, then by sabotaging the games, is it counter-productive?

Not quite. The money goes to the last non-mole player standing. Since the mole doesn't have to take the quizzes at the end of each episode, the mole is never at risk of elimination.

The mole is paid an undisclosed flat rate for their performance. It would be cool if the money earned by the mole was performance based, based on incorrect answers by the other contestants on the quizzes or overall money lost, but that would probably be too difficult to figure out, and could lead to some unintended side effects.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #23
MJ4H
Coordinator

At the end of the season, there will be two people left. The winner and the mole. The mole will not ever be eliminated.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #24
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TredWel View Post
The mole is paid an undisclosed flat rate for their performance.

Ahhh... OK. That makes sense.

The only thing I didn't care for was the whole "Execution" scene. It seemed awfully hokey to have that big screen there and we painfully watch each person's reaction as the Host goes through one at a time. What would have worked better for me was to show the screen of all players (intermixed with the obligatory reaction shots) and then slowly eliminate the pictures of players who passed the test. You end up with two people and perhaps add a bit more drama to the proceedings. You can even make it so that on an occasion or two, the mole is the other player remaining who theoretically could be eliminated. Then fade the picture of the last safe player, and the player left on the screen is the one executed. I think this builds more intrigue, but ymmv.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #25
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
At the end of the season, there will be two people left. The winner and the mole. The mole will not ever be eliminated.

If I remember correctly, wasn't there three at the end?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #26
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Ahhh... OK. That makes sense.

The only thing I didn't care for was the whole "Execution" scene. It seemed awfully hokey to have that big screen there and we painfully watch each person's reaction as the Host goes through one at a time. What would have worked better for me was to show the screen of all players (intermixed with the obligatory reaction shots) and then slowly eliminate the pictures of players who passed the test. You end up with two people and perhaps add a bit more drama to the proceedings. You can even make it so that on an occasion or two, the mole is the other player remaining who theoretically could be eliminated. Then fade the picture of the last safe player, and the player left on the screen is the one executed. I think this builds more intrigue, but ymmv.

I agree to an extent that it is painfully slow, but I will give it to this game unlike most reality shows...the first and second person called is generally safe, but they don't call evey single person to the final two and then drag it out even further. They usually don't go more than 5 or 6 deep.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #27
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
If I remember correctly, wasn't there three at the end?

I mean at the very end. The final episode/challenge has 3 players, yes. The mole, the eventual winner, and the eventual loser. One of them is executed at the end to leave the two I was referring to as being left at the end.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #28
Thomkal
Head Coach

what so did no one watch the second episode? I thought this was a better episode, with challenges more like the regular Mole challenges, especially the pig one at the end.

Host seems more comfrotable with things, hit the right tone with the puns as he described the pig challenge rules. Was sad to see the Mole's victim-would have liked to have seen one of the more obnoxious people go. But would have held them back a lot in the more physical challenges, so probably good for the group.

Anyone want to guess who the Mole is yet? I can't even remember her name, but I will go with the woman who rode on the two person bicycle. Just something is making me more suspicious of her than the others at the moment.

Though I don't know what to make of Bobby. He's young and does not look unfit to me, so I'm finding it hard to believe he is struggling so much physically. (soccer player my ass!) He's playing way over the top if he's the Mole. I mean he was worse than the old lady and the fat guy in these challenges. The fat guy (can't remember his name either) is someone else I think could be the Mole.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #29
Racer
College Benchwarmer

The fat guy seems like he could actually be an actor. That's who I thought was the mole until he helped them in the pig challenge.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #30
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I haven't really watched the Mole before, but decided to watch this season because at least for now it has been taking place in Chile. My wife was born there, and I've been there once for about 10 days, so it was neat to see places that I have been before. (The bike challenge was somewhere I had visited for instance).

Is this entire season in Chile or just a few episodes before they go elsewhere? Not sure if this show has lasting quality for me (it seems pretty slow at least to me), but the lack of anything else great on new right now helps it out.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #31
MJ4H
Coordinator

bobby
Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #32
rjolley
College Starter

I didn't watch the first episode, but watched the second. I'm still on the fence about continuing. On the one hand, it had the feel of the original show, but there was something missing. I didn't mind the host. I did get the feeling that the players were too combative this early in the game. Didn't seem like it was that tense between the contestants early on before. Either the mole is playing people against each other, or the people who are on these types of shows now are totally different than the people who were on the original show.

Also, no idea who the mole is. Too many choices.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 PM   #33
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I think people are vying for the airtime so they have to be more combative. Kind of annoying to someone like me (who doesn't usually like reality TV).

That dude from NY (Paul) can go fuck off. I hate him so much. He's too obvious a choice for the mole.

As is Bobby who can't walk more than 10 feet. Worst mole or worst player ever. Take your pick.

I think the dude who rode the bike (Mark) could be the mole.

Alex's reaction when he got the green screen seemed fake to me.

My top 3 right now would be:

Alex
Mark
Paul
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #34
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Only spoiler if you haven't seen tonight's episode

Spoiler
Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 PM   #35
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I would have taken the $20,000 for sure. It's like 9 to 1 odds of getting eliminated versus a slim 1 in 9 chance of winning a huge jackpot. I guess I'm no fun though...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 AM   #36
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Are there multiple moles? There are two things that really stand out to two different people this episode but I find it hard to believe that things could be that obvious.

Spoiler
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #37
MJ4H
Coordinator

Pretty sure Nicole is just an idiot. Remember that it benefits the players to draw suspicion on themselves (so that they are the only one that knows who the real mole is). I think the trick to figuring out who the mole is is really body language. You have to judge the ones that are truly relieved at not being executed, which ones are really nervous, etc. and which one is faking all of that.

Everyone will have multiple suspicious spots throughout the season.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #38
Thomkal
Head Coach

disappointed someone took the money-c'mon its the Mole, you gotta play to the end! Glad at least that one annoying player went with her.

I think Nicole's actions in the luge game, and the two guys who refused to walk around town in their underwear did so just to draw suspicion on themselves. Though I'm beginning to have second thoughts about Mark now given what happened in the game where he had to ride the two person bike and the "problems" he had with the bike. Also might explain his eagerness to get more involved with the pig slingshot in that other game.

Craig continues to be high on my list due to his disqualification in the first game and finding their clothes in the second. And man that Paul is a real prick. But is it an act? My previous suspicion of the woman on the bike with Mark has gone down after this week since she didn't seem to do anything to thwart either game.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #39
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I told my wife that I think it would have been funny if the mole had taken the $30k and walked off. I could imagine the conversations the producers would be having with him/her outside.

Ummm... you cant leave, its kinda of important for you to stay.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #40
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Paul sorta made me think of Hell Atlantic. WYSIWYG.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #41
MJ4H
Coordinator

Starting to suspect Alex. My wife suspects Craig but didn't really watch tonight.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #42
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Craig's reactions are all so phony. He's at the top of my list. Along with Mark then Paul.

I think Nicole is just a bitch.

And last night's episode didn't help me on my guessing who the Mole is...
Old 06-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #43
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
Craig's reactions are all so phony. He's at the top of my list. Along with Mark then Paul.

I think Nicole is just a bitch.

And last night's episode didn't help me on my guessing who the Mole is...

I look at how players are edited to try to figure out who the mole is. Craig has now been labeled by several players as someone who couldn't possibly be the mole. I haven't noticed other players getting these sort of comments nearly as much as Craig has. This makes me think he's probably the mole.

If he does end up being the mole, I wonder what the production team thought when he had to receive medical attention.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #44
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

That could have been planned too...as a way to have extra time to chat/plan with him. Maybe he's an in-shape 300 pound guy?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #45
Thomkal
Head Coach

I still think the Mole is Mark-hated to see Kristin go-Nicole the only woman left who would have thought that at the beginning of the game?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #46
MJ4H
Coordinator

Kristen was kind of a babe wasn't she? Yeah Mark certainly looked suspicious recently.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #47
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just in case you missed it, the Mole has two episodes starting at 9 tonight. First appears to be a recap of some sort, I guess to make up for not being on last week. Regular episode follows
Old 07-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #48
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

That will keep me entertained until the midnight launch of NCAA. Good times!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #49
MJ4H
Coordinator

Good episodes tonight. My wife and I have settled on Craig as our prime suspect. We eliminated Alex and Mark. Clay and Paul are the only others alive and possible in our eyes. I think my order for who I think is the mole is:

1. Craig
2. Clay
3. Paul
4. Nicole
5. Mark
Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 AM   #50
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

My order before tonight was:

Craig
Paul
Nicole
Mark
Clay
(Alex)

2 of the last 3 weeks the player last on my list has been eliminated. Grrr...