Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome?

Does anybody here know anything about Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome? It's a disorder apparently caused by genetics, caused by reduced collagen synthesis. Based on what I've read online, the biggest indicator of it is hypermobile joints. While trying to get some help on hip pain I've been having, my orthopaedist suggested that I might have it and recommended I get tested.

So, I called the place he said I should call (McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine at Hopkins), but they haven't gotten back to me yet, even about scheduling (I called on Monday). However, I wonder if they haven't called back because I'm "old," as looking at the website, most of the doctors up there seem to be pediatricians. So, some Googling around has turned up the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation, and I thought I'd check out the website. Unfortunately, many of their articles require "free" registration that doesn't seem to be working right now. I don't know, of course, that I do have it, but I thought it might have some other places I might try to see if I can get tested. So, I thought I'd try here to see if anybody here knew anything about it...

I don't know, I think it would be really interesting if it turned out I do have it. It would make a lot of my injuries in the past, and my inability to treat them with "traditional" methods make a lot of sense. It would also probably change how we treat any future injuries I get. Also, I'd like to determine if I have it to ensure that I don't have the vascular form of the disease, if I do in fact have EDS.

Anybody heard of it? Know anybody with it? I figure it's a long shot, but this seems to be a pretty diverse group...

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Be wary of teh internets looking for a diagnosis.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Be wary of teh internets looking for a diagnosis.

I know. It was the doc who suggested I might have it, I'm looking more for info on where else I might go (other than Hopkins) to get tested.

It would make a lot of things make a lot of sense, but it could also be that my joints are loose haha.

/tk
Old 05-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I read about it in med school, but I remember little more than what was summarized in your initial post. I think that I recall that it is usually diagnosed in childhood which may explain their reluctance in getting back to you (or it could be a poorly organized office.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-19-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Drake
assmaster

A poorly organized medical office? No way!

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
A poorly organized medical office? No way!

Gosh, some of the stories I could tell about poorly organized medical offices...

For this group at Hopkins, it seems it might have been the case. I called back today, since it'd been a week and I hadn't heard anything, and this time I talked to a real person, who took a bunch of my info. Apparently now a genetic counselor will give me a call to get more detailed info on some of my history and then I'll schedule an appointment.

/tk
Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

so this would explain why you're like Samuel L. Jackson in "Unbreakable?"

*rimshot*
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
wade moore
lolzcat

fwiw - my brother (lordscarlet on here) got a very good (by my understanding) consultation from Johns Hopkins for a different, rare, medical condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Yes.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
fwiw - my brother (lordscarlet on here) got a very good (by my understanding) consultation from Johns Hopkins for a different, rare, medical condition.

I've actually met your brother. Next time we do a DC meetup, you should come up.

I've had 2 experiences with Hopkins so far (well, in one the doc was still affiliated somehow, but his group was moving to Mercy Hospital which I think is, for teaching purposes anyway, affiliated with the University of Maryland Medical School). One was for my hand, where the docs there apparently missed the bone spur I had and told me I didn't have arthritis, so that wasn't the greatest time. The other was with my ankle, and the surgeon was great (he's the guy that fixed T.O.'s ankle), though the anesthesiologist wasn't.

Just from reading about about the genetic medicine group at Hopkins, they seem to be doing a lot of cutting-edge research and have a lot of top docs, so I can't think of a place I'd rather go to figure out if I have EDS.

/tk
Old 05-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
so this would explain why you're like Samuel L. Jackson in "Unbreakable?"

*rimshot*

(you know, it's kindof true with tk...)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm getting ready to write a blog post about this, but I figured I'd update this. I had my appointment at Hopkins on the 16th of September. The genetics doc I saw thinks I do in fact have Ehlers-Danlos, which I guess isn't much of a surprise. The doc isn't certain which type I have, it's down to three choices. One of the types it could be leads to premature death. Luckily, there's a "gold standard" test for that type, which he did, so I'll know that in mid-December. He thinks it's unlikely that I have that type, but since he can't tell for certain, it made sense to get the test (a skin biopsy). As for the other 2 types, they're not fatal, though since he can't determine which type it is, we're going to assume it's the worse of the two.

Going to Hopkins was an...interesting experience. I guess it's good to know why my joints have had so many problems, and what the implications can be down the line.

/tk
Old 09-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My thoughts and prayers that if you have it, it is one of the better variants.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure how I missed this first time through, but my wife's young cousin (guess he is 17-18 now) was diagnosed with this very young.

He is hyper flexible and has some form that in addition to his joints makes his skin extremely supple and elastic. Like at 10 you could grab his arm and pinch skin and pull up a foot of skin but yet once released it was tight to his bones. Though anytime he got small cuts they never healed, and left exagerrated scarring. Apparently brittle bones accompany as he had numerous issues trying to play youth and eventually junior high football.

Other than that though he has lived a happy normal life
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #15
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Whatever you do, if a Dr. House calls you back, Don't go. You'll end up hemorrhaging from orifices that shouldn't hemorrhage, all of his patients do.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

Are you guys identical twins?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #17
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
My thoughts and prayers that if you have it, it is one of the better variants.

+1
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #18
MikeVic
Head Coach

Praying for the best.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Whatever you do, if a Dr. House calls you back, Don't go. You'll end up hemorrhaging from orifices that shouldn't hemorrhage, all of his patients do.

And have at least one seizure per episode.
And be guaranteed they go about three wrong guesses deep before figuring out what you have.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote