Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Where did you first meet your spouse/significant other?
Bar/Club 9 6.98%
On the Job 33 25.58%
Church 2 1.55%
Through Friends 18 13.95%
On the Internet 27 20.93%
School 33 25.58%
Fishing for Trout 7 5.43%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Where did you meet your spouse or significant other?

I was having a discussion with a single female friend of mine this week and she told me that she did not feel that she could meet a person for a serious relationship in a bar or club type setting. Now while I did not meet my wife in that type of setting, I knew of several people who did and went on to have very happy marriages. Well after talking with my friend, I did a very informal survey of about 80 married people in my squadron and between 35 to 40 percent of them said they met spouses in bar type of setting. Now I know that number might be skewed in my squadron because of the role the enlisted clubs and such play in military life especially overseas. Some did say they met their spouse/SO in college campus bars and hangouts. Well yesterday, I was talking to a single male friend and when I mentioned it to him he agreed with my female friend. So I figured I would do another informal survey here on FOFC. Where did you meet your spouse or significant other? Also do you agree with my friends that single people can not meet other single people who are in interested in a serious relationship in a bar/club type setting.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

Pumpy's bedroom.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

College classroom.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I went with on the job. I was bartending and her and her roomate came in 2-3 times a week and I got to know her.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My option isn't on there

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
My option isn't on there

SI

Well what was it?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Well what was it?

champagne room?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Lorena
Unregistered

School
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
champagne room?

Damn, you got me

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
3ric
College Starter

Graduate school... I was 25, she 22
Old 04-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Undergrad. I was taking an elective called appreciation of music in the summer of my Junior year and she sat behind me.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Mine is kind of a combination between school and the internet. I took a class my freshman year of college, and she was in the class. We never talked other than the occasional "Oh you had that professor? Cool." type small-talk.

About a year later, she added me on facebook, and I was feeling particularly outgoing that night so I sent her a message. We ended up talking online for a long time that night and decided to hang out. As they say, the rest is history.

Edit: I put school because that's where I met her first, technically, but both are equally as important to our getting together.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 04-19-2008 at 02:01 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

Telle and I met entirely through the internet. We both hung out in a EW-TOO type chatroom called "Foothills" we talked pretty constantly for a couple years before she sent me a birthday card profesing her love for me, after a few months of me saying "I'm too old or you" "You should be hanging out with guys your own age" and "You deserve better" she finally was stubborn to the point of visiting me and well, we've been together prety much since then, give or take a few months here and there.

that all started back in 1995...wow, time flies.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #14
miami_fan
Coordinator

Zero votes for the bar scene so far.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Zero votes for the bar scene so far.

Is it really surprising though considering the way the FOFC demographic tilts?

I'd imagine the bar/club scene isn't the place that the geek/intellectual subset finds long-term satisfaction.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #16
RendeR
Coordinator

Honestly, the bar scene is probably pretty low on the scale for almost every demographic. As much as people say they go out bar hopping/dancing, clubbing to meet people, in my experience at least, its a really terrible way to meet anyone for a real solid relatoinship.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #17
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Seventh grade
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #18
Flasch186
Coordinator

The only thing i'd change about my wife is that I'd have her last name be Rockefeller....that and the hunchback could be a little less obvious.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #19
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Back in the day, right after Prodigy started to suck and die and I made the move over to AOL, I met my wife online. She would kill me for not knowing but I think we were 17, could have been 16 though. We talked and wrote for a couple years going on about our life, she even heard about my girlfriends during that time which she will still give me crap about just to bust my balls. At 19 she came up to see me, stayed over a month, went back home, came back up again, and by October I was packing up and moving to south Texas. She was going to move to Spokane, but I said screw it, I wanted something new.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #20
JeeberD
General Manager

At work...we both worked at Wendy's.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #21
molson
General Manager

Work - though it couldn't really start until the day after her last day. (That was some night though).

It's been a challenge in some ways though. She only knew me professionally, and it's been a bit of a tricky conversion, because I have to become somebody that I just wasn't the office. Online or in a bar, when you're starting from scratch, I think it would be easier in some ways.

Last edited by molson : 04-19-2008 at 05:12 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #22
flounder
High School Varsity

Playing Sheepshead.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #23
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
Playing Sheepshead.

Was it a blind Sheepshead date/party, or was this playing the game online?
Old 04-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #24
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

dola- and I want to the guy one here who got a Russian bride-by-mail to step up and tell us right now, I know there has to be one.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
dola- and I want to the guy one here who got a Russian bride-by-mail to step up and tell us right now, I know there has to be one.

A doctor I used to work with did that, I'm 99% sure. I know that she is from Russia, and they always fumble when discussing how they met. He is unattractive and socially awkward, to be polite. She is smokin' hot.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #26
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Pumpy's bedroom.
YOU'RE WELCOME
Old 04-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #27
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
A doctor I used to work with did that, I'm 99% sure. I know that she is from Russia, and they always fumble when discussing how they met. He is unattractive and socially awkward, to be polite. She is smokin' hot.

And as long as she actually bangs the guy, I have no problem with him 'getting her' that way.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #28
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

....mail order bride, eh? Hmmm....
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #29
Huckleberry
College Starter

High school sweethearts

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #30
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Was it a blind Sheepshead date/party, or was this playing the game online?

It was through a bunch of friends. I played basketball with a bunch of physics grad students at the University of Wisconsin and they invited me to sheepshead night at one of their houses. The physics grad student population was overwhelming male so they invited a bunch of biology and sociology grad students (overwhelmingly female) to join us.

Out of about 14 people total, 10 ended up married to each other. Sheepshead: the ultimate matchmaker.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #31
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Is it really surprising though considering the way the FOFC demographic tilts?

I'd imagine the bar/club scene isn't the place that the geek/intellectual subset finds long-term satisfaction.

Both bar/club and school would have both been correct technically, but I went with bar/club, now I look like the shallow member of the board... seriously, I would have thought at least a couple of others would have met this way. Very interesting
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #32
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Work, we're teachers. The wife was engaged to a not-so-nice teacher in our building, that fell apart, I helped her out with a place to stay and she never left.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 04-19-2008 at 06:55 PM.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #33
Logan
Head Coach

I don't remember it, but I believe I met my right hand shortly after birth.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #34
tarcone
Coordinator

Work, We are also teachers.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #35
Raiders Army
Coordinator

high school.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #36
Danny
Head Coach

Work, I was a checker at Vons, she was a teller at the bank that is inside the store. Neither one of us applied to or had wanted to work at the particular store we ended up at. We also went to the same university, but likely would have never seen each other as our departments were not close to each other.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #37
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Internet matchmaking site. (No, not Eharmony. Might have been matchmaker, but I can't remember)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:12 AM   #38
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

My best friend worked for a vet who got one from South America. Problem is, she barely spoke any english, and he barely spoke any spanish. She got bored sitting at home while he was at work, so she got a job at a nearby mexican bakery...and ran off with one of the dudes who worked there.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #39
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
My best friend worked for a vet who got one from South America. Problem is, she barely spoke any english, and he barely spoke any spanish. She got bored sitting at home while he was at work, so she got a job at a nearby mexican bakery...and ran off with one of the dudes who worked there.

That's hilarious.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #40
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Both bar/club and school would have both been correct technically, but I went with bar/club, now I look like the shallow member of the board... seriously, I would have thought at least a couple of others would have met this way. Very interesting

That was why I asked the question

I don't know what percentage I expected. I think the absolute nature with which they stated their opinions in spite of the evidence that others do meet that way is what made me so curious.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #41
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am also suprised that church has such a low number as well.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #42
Logan
Head Coach

The bar scene is interesting. I think there's just something innate in us where two people can look at each other, be interested, and know whether that interest is for a hook up or to actually date. I've met girls in bars for both, and it seemed like I didn't consciously make a decision for which group any particular girl fits into.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #43
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I am also suprised that church has such a low number as well.

This doesn't surprise me, if only because I've never known anyone to actually meet someone in church and when I've had a couple people (mostly older women) mention that as an option, I privately consider them as going senile.

What -does- surprise me is how high a percentage of Through the Internet votes there are. Goes to show far we've come from the early days when internet relationships carried a huge social stigma.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #44
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

At a bus stop.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #45
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Fishing for trout.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #46
Emiliano
College Prospect

Gym.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #47
Capital
High School Varsity

Through friends, but really a blind date at a restaurant.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #48
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Been together nearly 5 years now(May anniv for 5), married for over two. Met in a South Buffalo bar. I tended to hang out with the biker/gang banger type crowd(I was in my early 2nd childhood at 36). When we met I had torn jeans, black leather and bandanna. She wore a half sweater, fancy shirt and a jean skirt.Oh yeah, I was barely holding up the bar.Somehow I was less annoying than I thought......

Now I have no problem wearing pink Izods.......... Boys, stay away from accountants of the female persuasion.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #49
hawk4669
High School JV

Internet...AOL to be exact. For years I felt a little weird about it....but over ten years married, three great children, and still very deeply in love with her can't be all wrong.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #50
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Boys, stay away from accountants of the female persuasion.

I think Pumpy already learned this lesson.