Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Logan
Head Coach

PING: NYC and LA Movie-goers

I know there's a lot of movie fans on the board, and we probably have a nice contingent of NYCers and LA people. If anyone that lives in these areas would be interested in seeing a really good movie this weekend, I have one for you (even if it's a bit of a plug).

Last night I was at the US premiere of "The Take" here in NY. The movie is directed by Brad Furman and stars John Leguizamo, Rosie Perez, Tyrese Gibson, and Yul Vasquez (Seinfeld fans will remember him as the "street tough" who mugged Kramer for his armoire, others will know him from American Gangster, Traffic, Bad Boys II, etc). The basic premise of the movie is that Leguizamo plays an armored truck driver who gets robbed, shot in the head, and lives to "seek revenge."

Some background...this is Furman's first full-length movie and it had a lot of issues in the basically political process of getting made, to the point where no one ever thought it would end up being released anywhere. Furman grew up with my brother-in-law Josh, who happens to be an ER doctor out in Philly. Because of all the stuff Leguizamo's character goes through after being shot, it was important to him for the scenes to be very realistic, so he hired Josh as the Medical Advisor. Leguizamo is known for getting very into his characters, and this wasn't an exception. He spoke with Josh everyday for a few weeks as he prepared for the role and learned about what someone with brain trauma would be experiencing. He also followed Josh around the hospital for a couple days, spending time with brain trauma patients. By the end of all this, he asked Brad if Josh could play his neurological rehab doctor, which he did, and he has a couple small scenes in the movie. So my non-actor brother-in-law has two credits in the film, which is pretty cool.

Anyway, because of who bought the movie when it was basically in the dumper, it has a very small chance of getting a full-blown release. However, that could be prevented with a big box office (relatively speaking) this weekend in the theater that it's playing in on each coast. So if anyone lives in NY or LA and wouldn't mind supporting this, it would be great.

In NYC, it's showing this weekend, the 11th to 13th, at the Clearview on 62nd and Broadway. In LA, same dates, at the Mann Criterion 6 in Santa Monica.

I'm not going to lie and say it's the greatest movie ever made, but it's a very solid showing in my book, and I tend to grade pretty hard. Honestly, Leguizamo's performance alone is worth the price of admission. I hung out with everyone associated with the movie, Leguizamo included, until it was almost time for work this morning, and I'd really like to see this get the showings it deserves. Oh, and if it helps, there's a crazy sex scene between Leguizamo and Perez (hxxp://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/08/people.rosieperez.ap/index.html). She's still hot and was really nice to meet last night.

Thanks for reading. Here's a Q&A with Leguizamo about the movie if you'd like some more background.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

I obviously can't watch, but that smiling picture of Rosie doesn't do her much justice.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

You actually missed your chance, as it first appeared at the Toronto Film Festival.

But just know that the moving images of her great rack do much justice in the movie.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Lorena
Unregistered

Dang, it's such a bummer that it's not being released here in Austin as I would definitely go see it. I noticed Leguizamo's character gets robbed where I grew up so I'm wondering if the movie was filmed there.

Anyway, I'll check it out on DVD when it comes out, or if it gets released here at some point, we'll definitely check it out.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

It was filmed all over LA, in primarily Mexican neighborhoods I assume.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Anthony
Banned

does Rosie Perez get naked?

ok bye.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
does Rosie Perez get naked?

ok bye.

Only chest and ass. No vag. No subs either, sorry.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Dang, it's such a bummer that it's not being released here in Austin as I would definitely go see it. I noticed Leguizamo's character gets robbed where I grew up so I'm wondering if the movie was filmed there.

Anyway, I'll check it out on DVD when it comes out, or if it gets released here at some point, we'll definitely check it out.

Bump as it's now out on DVD. The lowest price I've seen in-store is $14 at Circuit City (online for $15). Best Buy has it as well.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

The 4.3 rating on IMdb is hurting my ambition to see this...
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Like I said originally, it's not an Oscar winner but it's definitely not 4.3/10 bad. It got pretty good reviews from the LA Times and NY Post, and here's one online that I thought was a well-done review.

Last edited by Logan : 05-31-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
Lorena
Unregistered

At the top of my Netflix Q
Old 05-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

Cool. Shoot me a PM when you get it and I'll tell you which scene my bro-in-law is in and also where the director gives him props on the commentary and making-of special features.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
Lorena
Unregistered

OK, we finally watched it yesterday:

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. John Lenguizamo and Rosie Perez were great. I really felt her anguish and his frustrations and sometimes they didn't have to say anything, it was their facial expressions and actions that said it all. Lenguizamo's character was funny, but not comedic funny, it was the way he delivered his lines that had us LOLing. I also liked the "look" of the movie with a sort of yellowish cast.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #14
Lorena
Unregistered

dola,

We saw the scene with John Lenguizamo and your brother in law. Ant and I were saying that he "acted" like a doc would.. lol. We also saw the behind the scenes where they gave him props and mentioned that there were scenes where your bro-in-law would yell "CUT! You would never do that with 2 hands!" Which we thought was funny.

We really enjoyed the film and wondered why it didn't get the recognition it deserved. It really was a good movie.

Last edited by Lorena : 07-03-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #15
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Oh, and if it helps, there's a crazy sex scene between Leguizamo and Perez (hxxp://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/08/people.rosieperez.ap/index.html). She's still hot and was really nice to meet last night.

Oh yeah, that scene.. wow. They showed enough of Rosie to get your mind wandering and she does look great.. I can't believe she's 43 yrs. old.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Very glad to hear that you guys liked it. Thanks for giving it a shot.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
Logan
Head Coach

Major bump...

This doesn't have much to do with my brother-in-law unfortunately but his director friend who I mentioned in the first post has really started getting big. He directed The Lincoln Lawyer a few years ago, he has "Runner Runner" starring Ben Affleck and Justin Timberlake coming out in a few weeks, and he just signed on to direct the Pablo Escobar story, starring, once again, John Leguizamo.

John Leguizamo Confirmed to Play Pablo Escobar in Brad Furman's KING OF COCAINE! - Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Vinnie Chase was unavailable?
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
Logan
Head Coach

That's nearly the exact text I sent my bro-in-law when he told me the news.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
DanGarion
Coordinator

You lost me at Rosie Perez being hot.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote