Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Grand Theft Auto IV

Yeah, it's almost here. Release date is three weeks from today on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Microsoft has already paid $50M for exclusive downloadable content which is due later this year. Sony is responding with heavy marketing, including PS3-targeted advertising of GTA4 in Europe and North America. Also, GTA4 bundles are now starting to pop up in Europe........

http://www.webhallen.com/prod.php?id=85742

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I was a bit confused for a moment.

I considered Vice City as GTA IV, and San Andreas as GTA V. As it turns out, they're neither.

Stupid naming conventions.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 04-08-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I was a bit confused for a moment.

I considered Vice City as GTA IV, and San Andreas as GTA V. As it turns out, they're neither.

Stupid naming conventions.

Vice City is '3A' and San Andreas is '3B'.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's an interview of a reviewer who has already finished the game............

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/hes-fini...40412432960029

Screenshots of multiplayer mode in GTA4.............

Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

The 29th can't get here quick enough.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Anthony
Banned

wait, so how does MP work? is it a free for all? just mass frenzy and chaos?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
wait, so how does MP work? is it a free for all? just mass frenzy and chaos?

From the previously linked article........

Quote:
Did you get a chance to play much multiplayer? Did you get your ass kicked by the Rockstar guys?

Yes, Xbox World 360 actually snagged a whole day playing against Rockstar PRs and devs in a exclusive feature a month or so back. Rather than simply go with the whole Deathmatch and Capture the Flag stuff, they've genuinely taken their time creating some amazing new modes that'll do the business online. Mafiya (a chaotic, mission based affair), Cops 'n' Crooks (one team try to capture the other) and Hangman's Noose (players team up to take an army of AI SWAT troops) were our personal faves...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Anthony
Banned

i just made pee pee in my underoos. YAY!
Old 04-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #9
spleen1015
Coordinator

The latest issue of Official XBOX Mag has an article about GTAIV multiplayer. It sounds promising.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Does anyone know if the multiplayer is only available on-line? Can you use system link? Can you do it split-screen on one machine?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

Whoa whoa. This multiplayer sounds kick ass. Can someone tell me if you can play on one console? Is this for 360 or PS3?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Whoa whoa. This multiplayer sounds kick ass. Can someone tell me if you can play on one console? Is this for 360 or PS3?

PS3/360.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Does anyone know if the multiplayer is only available on-line? Can you use system link? Can you do it split-screen on one machine?

Not sure about the system link part, but you can play online with 2 player split-screen. I believe you can also play a 4 player split-screen local game amongst friends.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I believe you can also play a 4 player split-screen local game amongst friends.

Thanks! That would be pretty sweet.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #15
Anthony
Banned

i swear to God, the creator of the skies and the oceans - i'm going feral in this game. i am going to unleash the force and fury of godlessness in this game. pagans, piss, doom, explosions. i swear it.

i swear it.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

*Waits until everyone in MP simply presses auto-aim and fires*
Old 04-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #17
Anthony
Banned

i'm sniping people. i don't even care about missions. i'm just going to shoot randomly and throw bombs around. missions are for soldiers. anarchy and pandamonium is for GTA.

i don't see how this game is gonna work online. there's gotta be some type of order or restrictions or its gonna be just people throwing their hands in the air and going buck buck like they just don't care.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI......today is the first day that sites can do previews of the multiplayer mode in GTA4, so there will likely be several previews published today. Here's one of the first ones.........

http://www.gametap.com/read/article/5481
Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wasn't going to buy, but then I found out about MP
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #20
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

There are going to be a lot of people calling in sick when this game comes out.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #21
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i don't see how this game is gonna work online. there's gotta be some type of order or restrictions or its gonna be just people throwing their hands in the air and going buck buck like they just don't care.

Given the open ended awesomeness that is Grand Theft Auto, I'm not sure that'd be a bad thing really
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #22
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Man, I just don't know what to do. The whole family loves this game, and we have been waiting.

I have it pre-ordered at Target, for the 360, which is broken. We were going to get a PS3 at sometime so we need to get the Target people to switch our 360 order to PS3, something they found to be confusing when we asked them the other day about doing it. Plus the 360 deluxe package is better then the PS3 pack.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #23
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Man, once GTA4 comes out the wait for the Metal Gear Solid bundle is going to be a bitch. Six long weeks...
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #24
General Mike
Pro Starter

Still haven't gotten my PS3, and I preordered GTA IV. Gonna be a long wait.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #25
SunDevil
College Prospect

Whatever you do, do not freeze yourself. You end up waking up 500 years in the future and have to deal with logical science people and beavers.

hxxp://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103800/
That's a double whammy and I hate you.

Last edited by SunDevil : 04-08-2008 at 08:20 PM.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #26
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I've never been a GTA fan, but I think I may have to get this one. The multiplayer stuff sounds pretty sweet. Still haven't heard any "official" confirmation of a straight-up sandbox mode that you can play co-op. That's one of the main things I'm looking for.

Plus the Cops & Robbers mode sounds pretty neat. 20 days away for those who are counting down
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #27
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Early sell-through estimates to retailers indicate that Grand Theft Auto 4 should shatter Halo 3's opening week record. Over $400M in revenue is expected in the first week alone, which would surpass the $300M record of Halo 3.

http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blo...Post%3A2762153

Quote:
When it comes to boffo openings, forget "Pirates of the Caribbean" -- think "Grand Theft Auto IV."

And think $400 million for the first week, a record for vidgames and possibly the biggest debut ever for an entertainment product.

Sources close to publisher Take-Two Interactive, whose Rockstar Games label is developing and releasing the title, said that the latest installment of the hit franchise will reach that figure and sell some 6 million units after it launches worldwide on April 29.

Though they rarely release the data, videogame publishers are able to accurately predict early game sales based on what retailers order.

Microsoft currently holds the record for the biggest videogame launch with "Halo 3," which grossed $300 million in its first week and sold about 5 million units.

"GTA IV" has even bigger potential, however, since it is available for both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. "Halo 3" was an Xbox 360 exclusive.

Several industry analysts also told Daily Variety that they fully expect "GTA IV" to come close to and possibly exceed $400 million in sales out of the gate.

Vidgamer sellers have slightly varying predictions at this point, though all expect it to be huge. Blockbuster CEO Jim Keyes said that "GTA IV" will likely do "two times the volume" that "Halo 3" did for his chain, while GameStop senior veep of merchandising Bob McKenzie said the game is currently tracking slightly behind Microsoft's three-quel.

A Take-Two spokesman declined to comment.

The "Grand Theft Auto" series has traditionally done very well in the U.S., Canada and Europe but been somewhat weaker in Asia, the other major videogame market.

Comparisons to other media are difficult, since "Grand Theft Auto IV" costs $60 domestically and contains dozens, if not hundreds, of hours of content, whereas the average film ticket in the U.S. last year cost $6.88 and is good for a few hours of entertainment.

Nonetheless, Take-Two will likely be crowing that the perf of its game is close to, if not above, the No. 1 film bow of all time, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," which grossed $404 million worldwide in its first six days.

News comes as Take-Two's board is trying to fend off a $2 billion takeover attempt by Electronic Arts. Executive chairman Strauss Zelnick and CEO Ben Feder are sure to be touting early sales momentum for "GTA IV" at the company's annual meeting Thursday, which is, not coincidentally, a day before EA's tender offer to shareholders expires.

Take-Two management needs "Grand Theft Auto IV" to have a huge opening to keep up, if not bump, their company's stock price and justify their advice that shareholders reject the EA proposal. Some analysts have urged them to accept it, as EA is offering a 64% premium over the publisher's previous share price.

Boffo sales for "GTA IV" are widely expected and already priced into Take-Two stock.

Though it's clear that early sales for the game will be huge, it remains to be seen if reviews and buzz will drive "GTA IV" to ultimately perform as well as its predecessors. The franchise's last entry for consoles, "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," sold a healthy 21.5 million units, making it one of the most successful videogames of all time.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #28
Flasch186
Coordinator

i concur with the info. I have really tightened the belt but saved a giftcard for this and pre-ordered already.

There arent many games Ill be buying this year but this is definitely one of them.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Are there any full reviews yet? If not, when? I've already preordered but want to know what I'm in for.

I've seen two reviews thus far, both of which gave perfect scores. Here's an online link to one.....

http://www.gtagaming.com/news/comments.php?i=1290

The other review was a print review in Xbox UK magazine. Here are the scans from that review...........

Old 04-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #30
Anthony
Banned

i may not even play the single player mode, i just want to run amok vs. other people. i still haven't finished COD4's single player mode, i normally play that when XBox Live is down.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #31
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Makes sense that this game will shatter Halo 3's record. More 360 users are available now and it is multiplatform so they have a larger user base. Not to mention, I think this game has a broader appeal period - some just like killing like HA, some just want to drive around and listen to the radio, some people like collecting the cars, etc. I'm pre-ordering it tomorrow after seeing the reviews and realizing that they appear to have fixed some of my biggest complaints from previous versions which I still enjoyed immensely.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-16-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #32
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'll get the game, but I'm probably the only person in the world who's even more excited about Saints Row 2 (which is still a few months away).
Old 04-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #33
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'll get the game, but I'm probably the only person in the world who's even more excited about Saints Row 2 (which is still a few months away).

I am excited for that as well, after all it has 'Limitless Customization,' and may be better then Maximum Football. You can even make your character into a she-male from what I read.

I am excited about it, not for those reasons really though. I just saw those words on their site and laughed.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #34
spleen1015
Coordinator

I like the open world genre, so I'm down with both games.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #35
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Makes sense that this game will shatter Halo 3's record. More 360 users are available now and it is multiplatform so they have a larger user base. Not to mention, I think this game has a broader appeal period - some just like killing like HA, some just want to drive around and listen to the radio, some people like collecting the cars, etc. I'm pre-ordering it tomorrow after seeing the reviews and realizing that they appear to have fixed some of my biggest complaints from previous versions which I still enjoyed immensely.
That and it's multi-platform vs Halo 3 which is Xbox 360 only.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #36
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Interesting rumor that 360's exclusive downloadable content will be entire additional cities. It seems unlikely, but it would help justify that hefty price tag that Microsoft paid:

http://kotaku.com/380938/grand-theft...g-whole-cities

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-18-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #37
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Interesting rumor that 360's exclusive downloadable content will be entire additional cities. It seems unlikely, but it would help justify that hefty price tag that Microsoft paid:

http://kotaku.com/380938/grand-theft...g-whole-cities

Like you mentioned, that just doesn't seem very likely. To build additional content at that level (full cities) would require a large amount of overhead. Generally, developers prefer smaller investment so they can rake in a large amount of profit on DLC. The other concern is the time it would take to build that level of additional content. Releasing the content sooner rather than later is in the best interest of Microsoft.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #38
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I would be surprised if there are entirely new cities on the downloaded content. It would be cool though, and I would definetly make my first ever move to sign up to XBox Live for it after having a 360 for over two years and never giving a crap about it. If they are going to have as many buildings to enter in this one as I think, maybe that is the new places to explore that could be added to the game in downloads. They could add some new open buildings or something like that in Liberty City, I would love that.

BTW, my GTA IV problem may be over. We are sending off the 360 to be fixed hopefully, if not too much money. We both want to wait until June to get the 80 GB PS3, and since we already have the pre-order for the deluxe 360 GTA IV it is the easiest and best thing I think. Hopefully the 360 won't cost too much.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #39
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
BTW, my GTA IV problem may be over. We are sending off the 360 to be fixed hopefully, if not too much money. We both want to wait until June to get the 80 GB PS3, and since we already have the pre-order for the deluxe 360 GTA IV it is the easiest and best thing I think. Hopefully the 360 won't cost too much.

Ouch. Sorry to hear. That sucks.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #40
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Ouch. Sorry to hear. That sucks.

It went 2 years with no problems, so I guess I was one of the lucky ones for that whole time. Not a huge deal, just bad timing. If I could get a PS3 80 GB right now, new, then I would just go that way. At the same time, getting the 360 fixed isn't the worst thing since there will be 360 games I want, the daughter loves Viva Pinata still, and it sounds like the wife is down with still getting a PS3 in June anyways.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #41
Radii
Head Coach

I preordered at gamestop tonight, they're doing a midnight opening that I may or may not go to depending on my sleep schedule when the game comes out.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #42
Icy
Pro Starter

I have preordered it too, always enjoyed the series a lot (even when i never finished any of them).

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #43
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

If I were to pre-order this game, which console should I get, Xbox or PS3?

I've read the reviews of both consoles, and both have pros and cons.

Which would give a better gaming experience?
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #44
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
If I were to pre-order this game, which console should I get, Xbox or PS3?

I've read the reviews of both consoles, and both have pros and cons.

Which would give a better gaming experience?

If I had both consoles, the 360 would be the easy choice. The gameplay is going to be very similar on the 2 with very slight graphical differences being possible, but nothing of any real significance. However, the 360 version will have exclusive downloadable content that might significantly add to the gameplay experience. Microsoft paid a large sum of money (I've read reports of 50 million or more) so even if it isn't additional cities, it will very likely be substantial.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-19-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #45
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
If I had both consoles, the 360 would be the easy choice.

I've also read about Xbox systems failing, whereas PS3 is more reliable.

The price of PS3 is considerably higher than Xbox.

These 2 factors are also considered between the 2.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #46
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've also read about Xbox systems failing, whereas PS3 is more reliable.

The price of PS3 is considerably higher than Xbox.

These 2 factors are also considered between the 2.

There are more PS3's failing now too with this new error code that I posted about. You should read the growing threads on OS about that. With either system, I'd get an extended warranty from wherever you buy it as Sony is only giving a 1 year warranty and some people who have had their PS3 die have had to pay over 200 dollars to get it fixed.

If you want a Blu-Ray Player to start collecting Blu-Ray movies, get a PS3. If you want the version of GTA IV with the exclusive content and the system with more quality games, I'd get a 360.

Of course, I'm a fan of the 360. Synovia and MBBF are strong fans of the PS3, so I'm sure they'll tell you differently.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #47
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
There are more PS3's failing now too with this new error code that I posted about. You should read the growing threads on OS about that. With either system, I'd get an extended warranty from wherever you buy it as Sony is only giving a 1 year warranty and some people who have had their PS3 die have had to pay over 200 dollars to get it fixed.

If you want a Blu-Ray Player to start collecting Blu-Ray movies, get a PS3. If you want the version of GTA IV with the exclusive content and the system with more quality games, I'd get a 360.

Of course, I'm a fan of the 360. Synovia and MBBF are strong fans of the PS3, so I'm sure they'll tell you differently.

I'm leaning towards Xbox(pricing), as PS3 is out of my price range.
I will get and extended warranty, just in case.

The exclusive content is interesting for the Xbox version.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #48
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

One other side benefit of the 360 is that there are many more of us on FOFC with one which is good for sports online play if you are interested.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #49
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
One other side benefit of the 360 is that there are many more of us on FOFC with one which is good for sports online play if you are interested.

This is good to know, although I've never multiplayed games online(honest truth).
Old 04-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #50
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This is good to know, although I've never multiplayed games online(honest truth).

Nothing to be ashamed about, neither have I. Although if I get into GTA IV enough I just night do it for the first time later this year.