Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
DanGarion
Coordinator

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Does anyone else watch this show on FoodTV?
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_dv

I love seeing all the stuff these places make. Makes me think it would be pretty cool to open my own place someday, but at the same time not want to, because I'd feel like I have to be there from open to close. Anyway they visit some of the coolest places. I was thinking we could discuss the places that Guy visits here and maybe people could share they opinions of places if they have visited any of the featured restaurants...

We went to the Gaffey Street Diner featured in 4th episode and we actually weren't that impressed. It wasn't as good as it seemed like it was on the show. We have some other places that they have visited around here that we are planning to hit up eventually, plus I'm going to try and visit Joe's Cable Car when we go up to San Francisco in 2 weeks.

Anyone from around St. Paul? I want to know if The Nook is as great as it looked on the show?

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 AM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty cool show, we watch it. Haven't been to any of the places before though.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I enjoy the show, and I want to eat the hell out of 99.9% of the fried goodness that's featured on there, unfortunately nothing I've seen so far is within my range.

...I once heard Anthony Bourdain refered to Guy Fieri as the 'Poochie' of the Food Network, and I have to admit that made me laugh.

thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

That host kinda gets on my nerves, to be honest.

But I have been to The Beacon in Spartanburg, SC before. It's pretty good stuff. It's the one where they have the blind guy "calling" the orders. I try to hit that place up about once a year when we're in the neighborhood.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I do love this show. Guy is a great host for this type of show and seems to have a ton of fun doing it. His tour of Jersey diners brought back memories.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

they could probably do a whole season in Jersey
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I love the show. I love going to these hole in the wall places. What I find interesting is that Food Network promotes Neely's BBQ so much, but you ask any person from Memphis where the best BBQ in town is and you get two answers, Corky's and the Rendevous.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

There is a place in North Carolina that they featured that my friends and I ate at. The food was pretty good especially gravy and biscuits that and a few sausage links I was set. I believe it was Chapel Hill because Miami was playing UNC... side note I am note sure there is a better looking campus then UNC's... geez I hope I am able to get into that law school.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
There is a place in North Carolina that they featured that my friends and I ate at. The food was pretty good especially gravy and biscuits that and a few sausage links I was set. I believe it was Chapel Hill because Miami was playing UNC... side note I am note sure there is a better looking campus then UNC's... geez I hope I am able to get into that law school.

Good luck. I graduated from the law school in 2002 and highly recommend it.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
nole4sho
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
geez I hope I am able to get into that law school.

Marvin lets be serious for a minute you have had the LSAT book for two months and there isn't even creases in the book. You'll be at Florida State for Law School which isn't a bad thing.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I love the show. I love going to these hole in the wall places. What I find interesting is that Food Network promotes Neely's BBQ so much, but you ask any person from Memphis where the best BBQ in town is and you get two answers, Corky's and the Rendevous.

The tourists will say those two places, but I think most Memphians know they are both way overrated. Central BBQ and Leonard's are two of my favorites.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My favorite food network show. I remember the hamburger show, when it was over my 12 year old daughter looks at me and we both say, "Lets go get a burger!".
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #13
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ive eaten at the Beacon many times. I ahve a customer who insists on it at least 1x per month....it is ok.

Ive aslo had Harolds in gaffney, its only ok...not worth going for...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #14
daedalus
Pro Rookie

love the show. fieri seems to be the new favourite on the channel based on the number of shows he seems to be on now. while i'm on the fence with regards to my opinion of him, i do love his genuine interest in the subject and that fact that he seems to have fun while being relatively respectful of these proprietors.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #15
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
We went to the Gaffey Street Diner featured in 4th episode and we actually weren't that impressed. It wasn't as good as it seemed like it was on the show. We have some other places that they have visited around here that we are planning to hit up eventually, plus I'm going to try and visit Joe's Cable Car when we go up to San Francisco in 2 weeks.
the one in pedro? i want to go there.

it's one of 2 places that would be easy enough for me to get to, along with 'schnooner or later' in long beach.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:03 AM   #16
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
the one in pedro? i want to go there.

it's one of 2 places that would be easy enough for me to get to, along with 'schnooner or later' in long beach.

Yeah that one.

My parents go to Schooner of Later they like it.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

There's nothing from that show in DFW? Damn...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #18
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

That show has been the cause of many a late night fast food run.....too bad there aren't any diners in Columbus that I know of...
Old 04-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole4sho View Post
Marvin lets be serious for a minute you have had the LSAT book for two months and there isn't even creases in the book. You'll be at Florida State for Law School which isn't a bad thing.

Just didn't want this little nugget of comedy gold to get lost in the food talk.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post

The tourists will say those two places, but I think most Memphians know they are both way overrated. Central BBQ and Leonard's are two of my favorites.

I can't think of anyone who prefers Central. Leonard's has a great buffet, but I've never been crazy about their BBQ.

The places that are tops among those I know are the Rendevous, Corky's, and then the Commissary. I love Pig N' Whistle, but a lot depends on which location you go to because they are pretty inconsistent.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #21
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Not a bad show, usually makes me hungry for food that's horrible for me but oh sooooo good. I actually think that the guy who hosts it (Guy is his name, if I'm not mistaken, based on his other show...) does a great job. Hate his "cooking" show, though (Guy's Big Bite), as I think he's much like Paula Deen in that they're not adding much to cooking. Whereas Julia Child did things that anybody could do and they seemed unique, Guy and Paula just do things that anybody can do and anybody would have thought of...there isn't much that's ground-breaking, though I guess if it gets people interested in cooking....

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #22
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola, from the "things I never thought I'd hear" department, from the episode on now (4:21 p.m. ET), "For people in this area, Scrapple is like a fine wine..."

::shudder::

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Watching now myself. I want some of that BBQ Turkey!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #24
Scholes
High School Varsity

I've been to The Nook several times. Awesome burgers, although it's a little dingier in there than it looked on camera. Plus, it's right across the street from Cretin Derham Hall High's baseball field, the former home of Joe Mauer and Paul Molitor among others.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote