Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
saldana
Pro Starter

how small is your cubicle

just taking an informal survey of others who are unfortunate enough to have to spend 8+ hours a day in a cubicle.

my company, which brags constantly about how we are the industry leader in our particular field, and with a CEO of our larger corporate parent in the top 30 on the Forbes 500 list, just leased a new 300000 sq ft warehouse, which is being outfitted with spiffy new equipment, some knew inventory technology, etc.

we had outgrown our previous warehouse and the corporate offices that are part of it about 8 months ago, so they decided to build some office space onto the new warehouse and move those of us that manage the projects that would be stored there into those offices.

the cubicles we lived in at the old office were at least 8x8...maybe even 8x9...our new ones...6x6...i can actually touch all 4 walls from one fixed spot in the center....it is actually causing me some serious claustrophobia problems that I dont exactly know what to do about.

i think it is some serious bullshit that a company that brags to anyone that will listen about how we are the global standard in our business treats their middle management employees so shittily that we are stuffed into a windowless building in box smaller than most prison inmates suffer through

so my question to my fofc cubicle dwelling brethren is: How small are the cubes that your companies have? was i spoiled with my 8x9?

i am seriously going to have to look for a new job if i cant figure out how to deal with the tiny little box.

saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

7 feet across and 15 feet deep...and I share it with someone else...so my space is like 7x7.5
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

start wearing short skirts to work and sleep with your boss. you'll get a bigger cube.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

8x10 roughly, 5' high walls.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'll have to measure, but I actually don't mind mine. I like it over a shared office.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

My cubicle was the beach at South Padre Island yesterday.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Anthony
Banned

6x6.5, but there is no wall separating me from the other cube behind me so privacy is a commodity here. i don't even have high walls.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

This is a pessimistic thread. The title should be "how large is your cubicle."
Old 04-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

mine's not really a cubicle, but more like this style
http://www.microoffice.us/images/137..._cubicle_1.jpg

we're the only ones in the building that doesn't have the additional side walls to enclose it, but those cubes aren't very big either.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
This is a pessimistic thread. The title should be "how large is your cubicle."

or if you aren't exactly a half full guy either, it should be titled "what is the size of your cubicle"
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

About 8x8
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I would take your 6x6 one any day if it meant I didn't have to share a cube.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
path12
Coordinator

Big as the sky. Or more like 12x10. Low walls. Partial view. Best offer accepted.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I had my own office in my last position, so this cubicle thing bites. It's just temporary since we're moving to a new building where we'll get offices again, but...no way I could do this all of the time. Yeesh.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #15
molson
General Manager

Pretty average-sized, but there's the desk goes around 3 sides, which is nice.

But today is my last day in this thing. I start a new job with an office tomorrow.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #16
RendeR
Coordinator

My ofice is 9' wide by about 20' long and has a window overlooking the Quad.

Cubicles suck. =)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

6x6 here, with short walls. Yummy.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

6x8
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #19
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

office with no windows - about 20X10

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
gstelmack
Pro Starter

No walls, just lots of desks.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #21
Radii
Head Coach

the last cubicle i worked in was 8x8 with walls that were probably 4 feet tall(I could see over them sitting down).

This thread gives me renewed vigor to put myself in a situation that I never, ever return to the normal working world again.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #22
Izulde
Head Coach

I don't see how people with cubicles stand it day in and day out... I'd seriously snap before too long.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #23
MikeVic
Head Coach

What's so bad about a cubicle? As long as your monitor isn't facing a very public area, I think it's fine.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #24
Jim G.
Grizzled Veteran

My office is about 27' by 15' and has two windows overlooking a state park.
Jim G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #25
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
What's so bad about a cubicle? As long as your monitor isn't facing a very public area, I think it's fine.
Get back to us once you get your own office.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #26
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah an individual office would be better of course. But I don't think cubes are all horrible. As I said earlier, I'd prefer to my own, decent sube than a shared office.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #27
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I have a about a 12x8...office. Where I can shut the door. It's nice.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #28
saldana
Pro Starter

the thing that is the biggest bullshit is there are two offices for "Executive Leadership Team" cheeses that are about 20ft x 20ft, and my manager went from a 10x12 to a 15x15 office so it isnt like the didnt have the space.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #29
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I don't see how people with cubicles stand it day in and day out... I'd seriously snap before too long.

The one thing I'll miss about my cubicle situation is the fact I have a long of fun shooting the shit with the person next to me. It really does make difference. An office is going to feel like...work, I'd imagine.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #30
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

I've never had a cubicle that provided a possible layout other than monitor facing a public area.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #31
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The one thing I'll miss about my cubicle situation is the fact I have a long of fun shooting the shit with the person next to me. It really does make difference. An office is going to feel like...work, I'd imagine.

This makes a *massive* difference. I've worked with groups where I enjoy talking to almost eveyrone in my department and we get along great and the cubicle situation ends up being a pretty solid one. All it takes is one person to destroy that though. The most obvious example of this was the woman at my last job that put on headphones and then "sang to herself" loud enough for everyone to hear.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #32
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
This makes a *massive* difference. I've worked with groups where I enjoy talking to almost eveyrone in my department and we get along great and the cubicle situation ends up being a pretty solid one. All it takes is one person to destroy that though. The most obvious example of this was the woman at my last job that put on headphones and then "sang to herself" loud enough for everyone to hear.

You tell her to shut up then.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #33
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've been in cubes, had my own office with a view, and worked in shared spaces. Cubes are definitely the worst. I thought I would hate the shared space, but I actually quite enjoy it, provided it is set up right. You want about 3-4 people in the room, all facing each other. It can be quite fun, and very collaborative.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #34
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Get back to us once you get your own office.

Subby's manager: "well, then there's the issue with Chris...he's starting to complain a lot and think he's owed more than what he actually contributes to our company. he's starting to develope a rather sour attitude from what he deems is a lack of respect. what do we do?"

Director of Subby's company: "give him an office. that's the best way to make people think they're important to a company, even though they're just another dime a dozen 'asset' that could be replaced quicker than a tampon."

Subby's manager: "Brilliant."
Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #35
Anthony
Banned

btw, in NYC it's very common to be a manager and not have your own office. see, in cities that matter, good cities, space is at a premium. the price one must pay to work in one of the best cities in the world. i've only worked for 2 companies where my manager has had their own office. my current company (a company i worked for previously but am now in a different location) the managers basically have 2 cubes to themselves.

put me in a cube, shit - put me in a closet - just break me off money and give me a promotion, that's all i care about.

Last edited by Anthony : 04-01-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #36
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

While I have my office, I'm usually on the road anyways. I'd take that over cube and office anyday.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #37
Anthony
Banned

"This is great, they just moved me into my own office!"
-Subby

don't get me wrong, i'd love my own office, but that in and of itself doesn't really mean much.

Last edited by Anthony : 04-01-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #38
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
put me in a cube, shit - put me in a closet - just break me off money and give me a promotion, that's all i care about.

i would be fine with my cell if either of those things every happened.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #39
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm one of the few band directors in the world that doesn't have his own office. I do have a substantial corner of my room that I use as an office, though. So I guess my whole room is my office. So, ehh, 30'x40'? I don't know I'm not there right now and I'm trying to guess from memory. Something like that. No windows though.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #40
Groundhog
Coordinator

Open-office plan for us, so we don't really have any cubicles... I've always managed to grab a seat with my monitor facing away from the public, thank god.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #41
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have a desk that used to be the space for the printer at the end of a row of cubicles. I haven't skimmed through the thread, but I bet mine is probably the smallest. Maybe 4 ft wide by 2.5ft deep?

We are going from a department of 30 two years ago, to 80 now, to 130 soon. But the good news is I get transferred in May to a brand new office 1 mile away from my house... so I'll happily put up with the "desk" for another couple of months.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #42
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

As of last week, I was in a cube that was about 7X6 probably, 3 walls, so I could see the guy across from me, and vice versa. But as someone else mentioned early, some of the best times were us all BSing.

I got a promotion recently (from Senior Analyst to Lead Analyst) and took a position on the same floor, but a newly formed group (The person I am working for now, she was a Lead for about 3 years, got promoted to a mgr position) Instead of long rows of cubes, we are in groups of 4, in a square. She and I have window seats now, so I am going to guess our cubes are 8X10 now, maybe even bigger than that...plus the "middle" space, which we filled with a round table we stole out of some other cubes before people moved into those. So we sit there are BS now.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #43
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
8x10 roughly, 5' high walls.

+1

And it's next to a window with a view of Cheyenne Mountain. For years, had a perfect view of Pikes Peak but they renovated that part of the floor.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 04-01-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #44
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

maybe 8'x8', but I really like my seat. There's two sides to my office; on one side there are cubes with a walkway down the middle. On the other side (mine) there is only one set of cubes with a walkway next to the wall. Only three people have cubes on my side; one of them only works 1 day a week and the other one is in the field 75% of the time. Walls are about 4.5' within my side, and there's roughly a 5.5' wall separating me from the other half of the office.

Best feature is the L-shaped desk that is about 30" deep so I can lay out fully even Arch E2 drawings.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #45
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I have my own office, but I'm not happy at my current job. I've done the cubicle thing in the past, and I was OK with it. I've been put through quite an interview process at another place over the past couple of weeks, and if I get the job, I'll sort of have a cubicle. It's actually more like I'll have half an office with a wall separating me from the woman I'd be sharing the room with.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 AM   #46
DanGarion
Coordinator

I used to have a huge cubicle, about 8x16, then I got one that was 10x10 with 5 foot walls, then I got one that was 8x8 with 3 1/2 walls, and now that I've made it to salary exempt I have only a 5 1/2 foot desk, that is in a 15x15 foot office that two other people have cubicles in... , it's sore subject for me.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #47
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Pre-Christmas situation: 10x10 corner cube with a window on one side and 5 foot hight wall of shelves on the other. COD2 multi-player up and running throughout the department. Music, laughter, and general fun were common place each and every day.

Post-Christmas situation: New boss. Office renos are wrapping up this week and I'll be losing my old cube and corner for a 7x6 cube...may still have a window...we'll see. No more games. The reason for the renos was to make room for a couple of people from other departments so our "fun office" environment is done and over with. Music will now have to be listened to with headphones...if it will be allowed at all.

Needless to say, our department has gone to shit in a matter of months. To make things worse, the new boss is a former coworker who was promoted and immediately turned his back on us and started blowing any senior exec that flinched.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #48
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I don't know the measurements, but "small" 6x6 seems VERY generous. I'm also in the sub basement. One floor below the floor that has no windows.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #49
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Open-office plan for us, so we don't really have any cubicles... I've always managed to grab a seat with my monitor facing away from the public, thank god.

I should add that not only do I not have an actual cubicle, but my desk is right on the busiest path in the company. The water cooler and time clock are behind me, and I'm right on the way too and from the break room and conference room. In other words, pretty much anything I do - like typing this - can be seen by anyone.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #50
Raiders Army
Coordinator

As a supervisor, I like having no walls. It's better for collaboration and it helps in keeping people from crusing the internet all day.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote