Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

(NFL)Max Starks-I just don't get it

Near the deadline for franchise/transition players, the Steelers unexpectedly slapped the transition tags on RT Max Starks. Starks was a starter during the Steelers Super Bowl run two years ago, but fell out of favor with the staff last year. And he only started 2 games. In those two games, he did look pretty good playing Left Tackle, but it's a very small sample size. Starks is entering his 5th year and is 26 years old.

Free Agency is now 20 some days over, and it appears that most of the big money deals are drying up. Teams do still have a fair bit of cap space, but most teams look to have the majority of their spending done.

Starks is still sitting on a 6.9m dollar tender that becomes guaranteed as soon as he signs it. The Steelers still have the option to pull the tag at any given point in time before it's signed(or july 15ish). With them up against the cap, and potentially having a few more veteran contracts to extend and rookies to sign, this is a possibility. Thus far Starks hasn't visited any teams, and apparently hasn't been in negotiation with the Steelers. It's possible that they have, and it hasn't leaked out, but usually sources will indicate things.

Now, the question that is totally puzzling to me is why Starks' agent hasn't had him sign this tender yet. Before the offseason, it was expected that Starks might bring in around 10-12 million in guaranteed money on a new deal. I'm guessing his agent hasn't found this money yet from anyone. With the transition tag, it wouldn't be that hard to craft a deal that the Steelers cannot match.

Wouldn't taking 7m guaranteed for 1 year be in your clients best interest? He's most likely going to start at one of the tackle positions next year, and barring injury or a subsequent(much more expensive) tag he will hit the free agent market again next summer. If he plays well, he could easily get 10-15m in guarantees next summer. Especially if he starts at left tackle. If he plays mediocre, he'll still get 5-6m in guarantees.

Last edited by stevew : 03-29-2008 at 12:04 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And the decision to tag Starks instead of Faneca(for 500k more) is just criminally stupid.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Maybe he's trying to get a long-term deal in place. It's much better to have 10-12 million over two years than seven million for one year and if you get hurt then you could possibly be out of the league.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
14ers
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Starks is still sitting on a 6.9m dollar tender that becomes guaranteed as soon as he signs it. The Steelers still have the option to pull the tag at any given point in time.
You are wrong, and you are right.

The Steelers have until July before the contract becomes guaranteed. Even if Starks were to sign the contract today, the Steelers could change their mind and let him go without any penalty or guaranteed money. The contract does not become guaranteed until the middle of July.

Last edited by 14ers : 03-28-2008 at 11:29 PM.
14ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The transition tag is fully guaranteed. If you read something different in the pittsburgh papers, it was incorrect. For clarification purposes, I meant they can pull the tag at any time before it's signed.

Last edited by stevew : 03-29-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

Quote:
Answer: As stated, the latest (and 5th) extension to the CBA was passed by the NFLPA and owners on March 8, 2006. Listed below are the changes that were made:

Extension through 2011 rather than 2007.

The Salary Cap % will be based on an newly defined and expanded revenue stream, which includes additional sources not covered under the original DGR. That Salary Cap % varies from 57% to 58% during the life of the CBA. (See Question 1.2)

Minimum salaries have changed as follows:

Years 2007
0 $285,000
1 $360,000
2 $435,000
3 $510,000
4-6 $595,000
7-9 $720,000
10+ $820,000

All minimum salaries for veterans (plus up to $40,000 signing bonus) with at least four years of experience will only count $435,000 against the team salary cap for qualifying contracts.

Teams can sign rookies selected in the first half of the first round of the NFL Draft to a contract that is at most 6 (six) years. Players taken in the second half of the first round can only be signed to deal with a maximum 5 (five) year duration. Players taken after round one cannot be signed to a deal longer than four (4) years. Meanwhile, rookie contracts can not be renegociated in the first two (2) years.

Prior to the start of the league year, teams may designate up to two (2) veteran players that they will cut after June 1 to spread out the signing bonus escalation (See 1.9b). In so designating them, the team allows these players to become free agents at the start of the free agency period -- although their cap liability remains with the original team just as it would have if the player had stayed on the roster until after June 1.

Just as is the case with the Franchise Tag, if the designated player signs the the one-year Transition tender, then that salary is guaranteed. Also, for both Transition and Franchise tags, the old March 17 date goes out the window. Under the old CBA, teams had until March 17 to reach an agreement with the Transition/Franchise Player -- or risk losing the tag for the duration of the eventual long-term deal. Under the new agreement teams have until July 15.

Last edited by stevew : 03-29-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
14ers
High School Varsity

This is where I was getting my info about it not being guaranteed untill after Mid July.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_558367.html
Quote:
The Steelers have the option of pulling the one-year tender offer they made to Starks, even if he signs it, until the middle of July.

Faneca made his bed long ago with the Steelers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
And the decision to tag Starks instead of Faneca(for 500k more) is just criminally stupid.
Sorry, but Faneca is a locker room cancer. Did you really think anyone on the team was going to come forward and stand up for Faneca? First he goes behind everyones back and rips Ben his rookie season in the media. Then he lets everyone know that he thinks the front office people are morons for letting Whisenhunt go and hiring Tomlin is a huge mistake.

So, he pisses off the franchise QB, the new Head coach and the people paying his salary. Just what did he expect to happen when his contract expired? Hell, I am surprised that they didn't find a way to trade his ass last year.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that article was incorrect. There's a good chance that both your or I know a lot more about the salary cap rules than the average reporter.

Anyways I'd have franchised Alan out of spite, and traded him. And yeah, I was in favor of trading Faneca last year as well.