Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Dilemma

I am at a complete loss of what to do. I was offered a job today. Unfortunately, it is not the job I want. Being currently unemployed, if I turn down the job I lose my unemployment benefits, but I also don't want to take the job, only to quit a few weeks from now to take another, better job. Additionally, the other job that I am interested in, I need to have another interview, but I won't know if I get it for another week and a half (the hiring manager is having sales meetings this week and is on vacation next week). So the other job is by no means a guarantee, but it is 33% more money up front, and has a far higher earning potential.

I'm just at a complete loss. I bought myself some time on making the decision, but I certainly do not like the position I am in.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Vince
Pro Starter

That's not a comfortable position to be in. I can't offer much advice, sadly, other than to weigh your options. What happens if you turn down this job, then end up missing out on the other job as well? Do you have a fall back plan? How long can you remain unemployed?

I was in the same situation you are in a few months back, and I jumped on the opportunity to work "now" even though it wasn't the job I wanted. I ended up missing out on the perfect job just one week after, and felt so bad that I didn't burn the bridge at the new job and skipped the ideal job. It's a mistake I won't make again.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Take the job. Companies always look out for their best interests, look out for yours. I guess unless you really think you'll feel to guilty to leave.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
rowech
Pro Starter

You have to take the job and just see what happens.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Take it. You need it as a fall back plan in case the other job falls through.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
but I also don't want to take the job, only to quit a few weeks from now to take another, better job.
Yes you do...take the job and keep your options open. If that company finds someone they like between now and your first day, you better believe they'll cut you loose in a heartbeat. Take it.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
MikeVic
Head Coach

I agree to take it and see what happens. I'd feel bad like you, but I think it has to be done.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Absolutely, if it came down to it, the company wouldn't think twice before telling you, "sorry but we found another candidate", so you need to do the same. Take the job, and if the other one comes through, leave the first job and be happy. If the other job doesn't come through, stay at the not perfect job and be happy that you are employed, with benefits and not living off unemployment anymore.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, cynical people in this thread. Most companies stop looking for candidates once they make an offer. They may keep a backup offer in mind if you turn it down, but they aren't going to take the offer off the table before your first day. I would try to ask for some time to think about the initial offer, and then I would counter the offer to extend the time farther. Ask for a higher salary or more vacation time or something. At the same time, tell the preferred company that you received an offer but really want to work for the preferred company. I've seen hiring processes sped up so they could get a candidate they really wanted. If they aren't willing to give you a reason to not take the current offer, you can be pretty sure that you aren't their candidate. Accepting a job and then turning it down before your first day always sounds like a good "I'm just looking out for me" plan, but you never know who the manager you are dicking with knows and who will turn you down for an offer somewhere down the line.

Last edited by BrianD : 03-26-2008 at 09:49 PM.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
Rizon
Pro Starter

I would take the Trout option first, then the Job second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:46 PM   #11
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Has the first company given you a timeline on when they want you to make a decision? One option would be to see if they're willing to give you a little more time to decide so you can see what happens with the second company.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:31 AM   #12
Warhammer
Pro Starter

No time line has been given. I was hoping they wouldn't offer me yet. I bought some time, but have no idea how much I have.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #13
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Either take the job, or negotiate better terms. This will buy time and also get you a better deal if you end up having to take it. Don't be afraid to tell them you are fielding another offer. Nothing like a little competition to drive up the price. Even if they won't budge, they won't take the deal off the table; they will just tell you that's their final offer. Dictate the timing to them. Tell them you are taking 10 days to make a decision; but ask if the time frame works for them and only if they actually say it doesn't will have you a harder decision to make. Then go from there. Always be wary of someone is unreasonably asking you to act quickly. Most employers can wait 10 days if they value you as a potential employee (in other words, they won't want to lose you by forcing you into a decision quicker than you want to).

Obviously, not knowing the industry, the potential employers, and the personalities involved, advice here is of a general nature. So, generally speaking, there is usually nothing wrong with asking for a little more time to decide (10 days is nothing) and telling them they are competing for your services.

And in all honesty, I find you to be in an enviable position, and I would hardly call it a dilemma or a bad situation to be in.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 03-27-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote