Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
path12
Coordinator

Training shoes for big guys

OK, since my angiogram a couple months back I've been tasked with losing weight and getting regular exercise by the docs. I've managed to drop around 10 pounds with daily walks with the dog, and now feel good enough to try and do some jogging and stair running at the local high school track.

I'm 6'1" and around 240. I know that I need to get some shoes with good support to prevent shin splints and the like, but I know nothing about training shoes. Ideas? Recommendations? What should fat guys look for in a running shoe?

path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
OK, since my angiogram a couple months back I've been tasked with losing weight and getting regular exercise by the docs. I've managed to drop around 10 pounds with daily walks with the dog, and now feel good enough to try and do some jogging and stair running at the local high school track.

I'm 6'1" and around 240. I know that I need to get some shoes with good support to prevent shin splints and the like, but I know nothing about training shoes. Ideas? Recommendations? What should fat guys look for in a running shoe?

I wish I could help with the shoe recommendation, but it sounds like you and I are in fairly similar situations. I'm about your height, and a bit lighter weight, but my doctor actually said I should weigh 175 or so , which I have not done since before I played football in highschool I've been trying to hit the gym daily for a while, but a while back I actually ran into a problem doing the exact training that you mentioned (running on the track at the local Highschool and doing stairs).. I ended up with runner's knee according to my doctor, which he mostly attributed to my aging and being 30-40 pounds over the 175 lb weight I should be at.

I've actually switched my training to doing the eliptical trainer in my work gym and biking and I don't feel any more pain in my knees. So I'm not able to really give a good shoe suggestion, but figured I would toss out ideas for activities!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I'm a big guy (much bigger than you are) and I wear New Balances. Why they're comfortable I have zero idea, but that's the facts jack...er path.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Celeval
Pro Starter

Look, or ask around for a local runner's store - many of them will be able to make very good suggestions based not just on your build but your stride and how your feet impact.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Synovia
High School Varsity

The best thing you can do is not run on concrete/cement.

Go to the local state part/etc, and do some trail running. Just watch your ankles.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'm just glad that 'training shoes' wasn't code for condoms
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I am 6 ft 4 inches and weigh about 230 lbs and run 3 or 4 times a week. I have found that New Balance and Sacony (sp?) are good running shoes. Since like me, you are over 220 lbs you will go through running shoes quicker than most others. At the rate I run, I get a new pair every 4 months and I dont have any problems with shin splints.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
I'm a big guy (much bigger than you are) and I wear New Balances. Why they're comfortable I have zero idea, but that's the facts jack...er path.

New Balances are great and I'd recommend them. The majority of Army folks wear them and I did as well while I was in, They're also the most durable running shoes I've ever worn. With heavy use they would last me 6 months or so while the couple times that I bought Nikes they lasted less than 3.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I few years ago I got serious about things and dropped 75 lbs. Last year and my work crap saw me pack on about 55 of that back on. Since being home I am back down 15 because I am able to lift and run again. About to work out now actually....

I have used New Balance running shoes. Decent price, and they have not given me any problems.

One thing that worked for me at the start was going back and forth between walking-running at the begining. 5 minutes of each then switch to the other, it helped me build up both my legs and my lungs. Eventually I started to stretch it to 5 minutes walking with 10 minutes straight running, and up and up. I also will do a 5 minute runs- 1 minute walk rotations. The fresher you can keep you legs and the easier you can keep your breathing while keeping you heart rate up then the longer you can gom, which helps lose weight. It worked for me anyways.

By doing that I built up to jogging 4-5 miles at a time, no walking, being a 40-50 minute workout. I was doing that at 235-240 lbs and right now I am sitting at 260 lbs and running 3 miles at a time after a weight lifting session as I try to work my way back to what I was doing before.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
bbor
Pro Starter

Being in the business( i own a shoe store) i would recomend NB or Socany.Most foot DR's will tell you the same.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Look, or ask around for a local runner's store - many of them will be able to make very good suggestions based not just on your build but your stride and how your feet impact.

+1. This is the best advice related to shoes in this thread. Forget brands. Forget colors. Forget everything. Find a good running shop near you (not a Dick's or general sports store). A good running shop should watch you walk, with and without shoes, around the store, and decide which shoes you need based upon how your feet are. As you lose weight, this may change over time, so after you've dropped 20 lbs (or so), you might consider re-visiting the store even if you don't need new shoes yet. http://www.runnersworld.com/store/se...17-0-0,00.html is Runner's World's Store Finder, might help you in your search. If you were in the DC area, I'd have an easy recommendation, alas...

That all said, New Balance seems to make a shoe that works well for people with large feet or wide feet, so a lot of larger runners seem to find they work well for them. Personally I find them uncomfortable as sin, they just don't work with my feet/ankles (nor did they when I was more "normal" than I am now), but then I've got other issues to contend with...

I know you didn't ask, but Cringer had some good advice about mixing in walking with your running until you get up to running solidly for x amount of time. When I first started running, I already had a strong sprint base from soccer but had no real distance experience, so I used a program similar to the one found at http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...X5X6-6,00.html to build up my endurance to a 3 mile run (the entire article there is actually quite good). Once I got to 3 miles, it was relatively easy to increase my mileage, and I ran a few 10k's and half-marathons (and was more or less done training for a marathon) before I hosed my ankle. I've recommended it to a lot of friends who want to get into running and they've all had good results. My best friend is using it right now as she is trying to learn to run so she can do a half-iron tri (obviously once she gets up to 3 miles she'll need to build on that, but 3 really seems to be the magic number...).

The nice thing about this plan (and other plans out there that are similar) is that it's very flexible. When I did it, I wasn't a "couch" person, I started at the ~week 5 mark but found that I felt like doing an extra week 7 before moving on to week 8 (or something like that, I know I "repeated" one week).

And now I guess I've prattled on enough, hope that was useful information...feel free to ask if you have questions (or ignore all this if you only wanted to know about shoes).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:44 AM   #12
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I'd echo what terpkristin said, a good plan can work wonders. Before a few months ago I was by no means a runner, but I'm training to run a 5K this Summer for Livestrong.

When I started out it was taking me about 16 minutes to run/walk (mostly walk!) a mile and even the basic parts of this plan were rough on me. Now I'm in Week 6 though and just earlier this week I ran 2 miles straight in 22 minutes.

Here's the link to the one I've found. I'm sure hers is similar.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
Danny
Head Coach

Brooks beasts running shoes are incredible for support. You wont be quite as fast in them though
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Get something that is light. It really does make a difference... I normally wear Timberland shoes, ,but when I go on light jogs or "power" walks I put on the one pair of running shoes I have. They are very light on the feet and it makes a huge difference. They are actually the most God-awful, ugly shoes on the planet made by DKNY (got them on sale) but they really are great.

And I'm needing to drop about 30 myself... at 6'2' & 265.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #15
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Brooks beasts running shoes are incredible for support. You wont be quite as fast in them though

Dude, I'm not going to be fast in anything!

Thanks all for the tips. I'm taking all of this down, and the training advice is a big help. I plan to get to a running store on Saturday (I would have just headed to the nearest sporting goods store before asking) and seeing what they recommend.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
path12
Coordinator

So, I went to a well-regarded running store in the area (thanks for that tip, TK!) and they were much friendlier to a couch potato than I would have thought originally. Anyway, after trying around five or six pair, I ended up with a pair of Saucony's that feel really good. Plus they said if they didn't feel right after a couple of weeks of use to just come back in. Nice!

I've also printed out the plan that heinz was using and start tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice, I'll be back asking again once the pain kicks in.......
Old 03-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've also printed out the plan that heinz was using and start tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice, I'll be back asking again once the pain kicks in.......

Best of luck, let us know how it all goes (maybe you should start a dynasty!).

And when the pain kicks in, Advil + Tiger Balm. Provided, of course, you're allowed to take Advil, that is. But Tiger Balm either way.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #18
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Take them back? Nice, I should go to a well regarded running store.

Good luck. And since I am on a roll with this, running will give you the craps most likely. Keep that in mind, and have a nice day.