Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Should, I trade in my XBOX 360 for a PS3?

Ok, so my XBOX 360 just broke for the second time. The first time it broke, I had the best buy replacement plan on it. I turned it in at Best Buy when Madden 2k8 came out last year in August.

I had my new console for about 8 months and it is broken again. This time the DVD Player is not working correctly.

I can't find my receit from the replacement in AUGUST 2k7. Microsoft said to bad, you have to pay to get it fixed.

I really like the 360, but I'm pretty pissed off because the system reliability is crap. I've had 2 other friends that both had to get replacements also. I don't like how loud the DVD drive is either.

Do you guys think the EA Sports games on PS3 next year will run at 60fps and be smooth?

I really only use my console for sports games.

And is MLB the Show really good?

How is the PS3 online service? Is it anything close to XBOX Live?

So, I would get $110 for my console at EBGames. Like 10 bucks a controller, I have 4 of them. I have 5 games. I figure I will get about an avg of 15 to 20 bucks a game. So, I'm looking at about 250 to 300 trade in credit.

So, I would have to put out about 200 dollars to get a PS3 and a second controller. Does the PS3, play regular DVD movies or only Blue-Ray movies.

I use my video game system as a movie watching device, so I would really like to play DVD's.

What do you guys think?

Should, I just go buy a new XBOX 360 and stop bitching. I could send this broken one in for repair and have a second system.

astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There is speculation on OS from a recent article in which EA said they are not using the PS3 as their lead development platform that Madden or NCAA may not run at 60 FPS for yet another year, but that is only speculation. All anyone can give you right now is speculation on that issue.

The PS3 Online service isn't close to XBox live right now, but it is free which is nice.

The Show seems to be an excellent game from almost all reviews.

The PS3 can play DVD movies and upscale them.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
There is speculation on OS from a recent article in which EA said they are not using the PS3 as their lead development platform that Madden or NCAA may not run at 60 FPS for yet another year, but that is only speculation. All anyone can give you right now is speculation on that issue.

The PS3 Online service isn't close to XBox live right now, but it is free which is nice.

The Show seems to be an excellent game from almost all reviews.

The PS3 can play DVD movies and upscale them.

That helps, I'll just suck it up and get another XBOX 360.

Is the elite more reliable? Anyone heard any feedback on that system?
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

And people wonder why the 360 was selling more than the PS3 for a while...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I would have just bought the ps3 if I had it to do over. And mine hasn't even broke yet.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm definitely on the PS3 side of the fence right now if I ever decide to add to the Wii. I doubt I will since we don't like movies in our house, though.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Schmidty
Coordinator

I think you should trade your comma for a PS3.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
I'm definitely on the PS3 side of the fence right now if I ever decide to add to the Wii. I doubt I will since we don't like movies in our house, though.

I remember you saying that before, but who doesn't like movies??? How? There's a movie for EVERYONE out there. With so many genres and such, I would have to guess that even you could find something you like.

Man, that makes less sense than not liking books or cheese.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
MJ4H
Coordinator

Sure there are movies out there I like. Even when I'm watching a movie I like, about an 45 minutes to an hour in, I'm starting to wish it were over. It's not an attention span thing, it is just that the entertainment I get out of a movie is not great enough to justify that amount of time investment in most cases.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

MJ4H: What about the Super Mario Bros. Movie?

astrosfan: After 2 years of no problems with my 360, the DVD drive just died and with no RRoD to get it fixed under warranty it is done for pretty much. So we are in the same spot as you, another 360 or a PS3. I am going nuts trying to decide, the good thing is I won't be getting one for a month at the earliest so no rush...
Old 03-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

I play more games on the 360, but I use the PS3 a lot more often, to watch movies.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #12
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

360 definitely has the best assortment of games. But if mine totally broke out-of-warranty, I'd be pretty pissed off. I'm on my 2nd 360 after the RROD on the first one. I went through 3 Xboxes also. M$ better get it fixed for their next system. I say that now, and I'll still be the dumbass that buys it within the first year.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
MJ4H: What about the Super Mario Bros. Movie?

hahah never seen it. The last movie I saw in a theater was the first Lord of the Rings movie, incidentally. The last movie I rented was Fletch and that was at least a year ago. I will watch a movie now and then on Dish if I catch it on and am in the mood. I might even have it on in the background while I'm playing poker or something. But I rarely set aside time to intentionally watch a movie. I just dislike almost every movie I try to watch.

Incidentally, the first half of that LOTR movie was great, the second half was nearly intolerable. Some of that is fatigue since it was a long movie, but a lot of that was it was just stupid. I may never go to another movie after that debacle.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

If my 360 broke tonight, I'd be at Best Buy tomorrow getting an Elite.

What does the ps3 have, like one game? Even The Show isn't the end all of baseball games... albeit a VERY good baseball game though.

If you want a Blue Ray player however, it's an excellent choice. I'm still watching HD-DVD's and normal DVD's via a Toshiba A3 and I love it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:50 AM   #15
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

What does the ps3 have, like one game? Even The Show isn't the end all of baseball games... albeit a VERY good baseball game though.

If you want a Blue Ray player however, it's an excellent choice. I'm still watching HD-DVD's and normal DVD's via a Toshiba A3 and I love it.

Good luck finding HD-DVDs
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:09 AM   #16
Horizon
n00b

Quote:
I thought Toshiba was offering some kind of turn in program for their HD-DVD players?

I own a PS3, but I do not understand why 360 owners with a bad DVD player are not simply replacing the DVD player, or able to buy a cheap HD-DVD player add on. Do you have to buy a brand new 360 to fix a bad dvd player?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #17
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I know it's off-topic, but count me as an anti-movie guy. I just have no interest in them anymore. Started when we had our first daughter 8 years ago and could no longer waste Friday nights at the theater. Fast-forward 8 years, and aside from kids' movies, I think I've seen maybe 3-5 movies in the past 2 years. Half-and-half comedies and chick flicks, since my wife does most of the choosing as I don't care anymore. My wife's parents bought me Blades of Glory last summer and I haven't even taken it out of the plastic. Borat was one of the last movies I saw, and that was about a year ago.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-17-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
And is MLB the Show really good?

Yes, it's that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
So, I would have to put out about 200 dollars to get a PS3 and a second controller. Does the PS3, play regular DVD movies or only Blue-Ray movies.

Not only does the PS3 play DVD's, it is also a very good upconverter. If you could get a PS3 for $200, it would seem to be a great deal.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Good luck finding HD-DVDs

Found plenty of them at BB yesterday, all 30% off. Honestly, I can watch normal DVD's in my upscaler just fine, they look great to boot.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I thought Toshiba was offering some kind of turn in program for their HD-DVD players?

I own a PS3, but I do not understand why 360 owners with a bad DVD player are not simply replacing the DVD player, or able to buy a cheap HD-DVD player add on. Do you have to buy a brand new 360 to fix a bad dvd player?

Turn in for what? I use my player mostly for upscaling normal DVD's since I have many of those... and I just bought it for $80.

You can buy the HD-DVD add on for cheap, but why when I already have one?

For those of you who want Blue Ray, the ps3 is the way to go, for me it's all about the games and the 360 has the ones I like. I could care less about Blue Ray at this point in time.. when I do replace my A3 player, it will most likely be with a ps3... but that is WAYYYYY down the road.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #21
MikeVic
Head Coach

I sense a movie. One man is passionate about the 360. The other is passionate about the PS3. But what they share in common is above that of video games: the love of Mizzou sports.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

Yes, there is a trade in deal at Circuit City where you get the full purchase price in credit back that you can apply towards a Blu-ray player. Player had to have been bought in the last 90 days (usually is only a 30 day window). The deals are even better in other countries, with retailers in Canada, Mexico, and Europe offering credit on a HD-DVD player (regardless of where it was bought) towards a Blu-ray player purchase. Most of the deals do allow the PS3 as an option.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #23
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I sense a movie. One man is passionate about the 360. The other is passionate about the PS3. But what they share in common is above that of video games: the love of Mizzou sports.
i wish they'd just make a thread and cyber each other. that'll get all this over with
Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

At this point, I'd be with you. If the 360 broke, I'd be getting an elite tomorrow and getting the replacement for a friend. I'm a gamer, first and foremost and the 360 has more games that I play consistently. The rotation includes Dead Rising, Bioshock and others I simply can't get on the PS3. I also like the controller better. It's the best controller I've ever played with.

On the other hand, the PS3 is finally getting it's crap together. The Show is a very good game. I wouldn't buy the system just for the game, but it is solid. Ratchett and Clank is excellant. The PS3 should finally have it's big exclusives coming out this year.

Still, at this point in time, the edge for ME goes to the 360:

Games (varitey, A list titles, etc.) - 360
Controller - 360
Online Service - 360 (the best way I can put this is that I have no problems paying for the 360 service, but I would NOT pay a dime for the PS3 service as it is currently constructed. It's not user friendly and I HATE navigating through it. The PS3's online content and navigation is a distand 3rd of the three systems currently out)

Now, if movies are your thing, the PS3 does a wonderful job with them. the Blu Ray player is top notch. It's terrific on a high end TV. Thing is, I don't watch a lot of movies at the house. I have three major hobbies: video games, sports and documentary type TV. (History Channel, Discovery, NatGeo, etc.) I may watch one DVD a month.

So if movies are important, the PS3 is much better in that area and I coudl see someone buying the system for that.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #25
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

With Home coming out, and the PS3 finally getting it's game lineup in order, it's easy to see it start to become the dominant console.

If you already have an xbox with an xbox library, then i'd just stick with that.

If you're worried about missing bioshock, just go play system shock 2.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #26
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Is the hd-dvd add on for the 360 for movies only? if it is possible to play games off of it then that might help me out...
Old 03-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Is the hd-dvd add on for the 360 for movies only? if it is possible to play games off of it then that might help me out...

No. Microsoft has never planned to release games on the HD-DVD format. It's strictly a HD-DVD movie player.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
i wish they'd just make a thread and cyber each other. that'll get all this over with

I need a break from our cyber this weekend first.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #30
rkmsuf
Head Coach

get a Wii
Old 03-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #31
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
No. Microsoft has never planned to release games on the HD-DVD format. It's strictly a HD-DVD movie player.

bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
get a Wii

I wiifuse.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #32
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
bummer.

I wiifuse.

trade it for pron?
Old 03-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #33
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
With Home coming out, and the PS3 finally getting it's game lineup in order, it's easy to see it start to become the dominant console.

If you already have an xbox with an xbox library, then i'd just stick with that.

If you're worried about missing bioshock, just go play system shock 2.

System Shock 2 is an all time great game. One of my top 10 of all time.

Bioshock is a better game in just about every area.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote