Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tommy Bowden yanks McElrathbey's scholarship.........

Unbelievable stuff. This kid brought a great deal of good publicity to Clemson and his reward is getting his football scholie yanked. Here's to hoping he gets another scholie in the SEC and gets his revenge.........

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/clemso...olarship-16566

Quote:
Clemson Sacks Good-Hearted Player’s Scholarship

A Clemson football player who gained national attention by becoming the legal guardian of his little brother had his scholarship taken away.

Phil Taylor of SPORTS ILLUSTRATED updates the latest sad turn of Ray Ray McElrathbey, who was able to get the NCAA to allow him to accept financial assistance to help raise his 11-year-old brother Fahmarr. But Tommy Bowden decided that Ray Ray’s scholarship money could go to better uses:

Quote:
Although Clemson coach Tommy Bowden has been vague in his explanations, it appears that he pulled McElrathbey’s scholarship because, after signing 25 new recruits last month, the Tigers had to take away some existing scholarships to stay under the NCAA maximum of 85. With several running backs ahead of him on the depth chart, Ray Ray became expendable. “We’re pretty good at running back right now,” coach Tommy Bowden said, as if that was the only issue.

Cold-blooded? Heartless? You bet. Having one more scholarship to hand out isn’t going to change Clemson’s program in any significant way, but losing it certainly could change Ray Ray and Fahmarr’s lives.

And the decision also changes Bowden’s & Clemson’s perception in public opinion. The school, that had such a feel good story about a young man taking responsibility and doing something right, can now been seen a greedy, heartless program who could care less about their players’ problems if they’re not All-American selections.

But maybe another college can take advantage of Clemson’s apathy and offer McElrathbey a new scholarship. Such a generous offer would do a lot for the new school’s goodwill - and get them some good publicity.

As for Bowden & crew? Hope they enjoy another 6-6 Champs Sports Bowl-loss season.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Clemson officials clarified former tailback Ray Ray McElrathbey’s potential graduate assistant position Wednesday. If McElrathbey — whom teammate James Davis said had his football scholarship pulled by Bowden — wants to continue at Clemson in graduate school, he will be offered a graduate assistant position which will pay for books, tuition and a stipend, which covers room and board. McElrathbey is on schedule to graduate in August with a sociology degree. He has not announced whether he will remain at Clemson or transfer to another school for his remaining two seasons of football eligibility

http://www.independentmail.com/news/...c-quick-study/
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

F Tommy Bowden. I'm sure that will help him in the eyes of parents who are trying to decide if he is a trustworthy person to help shape their kid's future in college.

Unless the kid broke team rules, that is complete B.S. Hopefully, he gets another scholarship offer quickly at a quality school.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

Translation: "Hey, I hope you realize you're not good enough to make my football team. But given the public outcry and bad PR hit we're about to take, we're willing to offer the opportunity to stand on the sidelines for the next two years handing out towels in return for full tuition and board. Sound like fun?"

If I were McElrathbey, I'd tell him to go f himself. Go to a school that values the character of a student just as much as their ability.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-13-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I guess this raises a question about something I'd never thought of before - can schools just yank scholarships without reason? Just for depth chart purposes? "We promised you a chance to compete at QB, but not only did you not perform, but we've got 3 guys coming in next year that are better than you. Sorry!" Can they do that?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
Klinglerware
College Starter

Another issue is that the guy is graduating this year. Isn't it pretty common at the 1-A level for a program to yank the scholarships of graduating players in cases where the coaches feel they won't contribute as 5th years? (In other words, though it is in their power to do so, most coaches won't just yank a scholarship and will renew the grant in aid until you graduate or leave the program voluntarily. But once you do graduate, your scholarship is fair game in the coach's mind.)
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I guess this raises a question about something I'd never thought of before - can schools just yank scholarships without reason? Just for depth chart purposes? "We promised you a chance to compete at QB, but not only did you not perform, but we've got 3 guys coming in next year that are better than you. Sorry!" Can they do that?

I don't see why not. It's big business. This ain't rec league.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
I guess this raises a question about something I'd never thought of before - can schools just yank scholarships without reason?

I think this might be the case, since grants-in-aid have to be renewed yearly. I doubt that most coaches would be that cold-hearted in practice, due to the PR issues. More likely, they would "encourage" people to leave on their own.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

He's graduating with two years of eligibility and he's not going to play and the school was going to let him be a graduate assistant coach, which is what people do after they graduate and still want to be around the team -- and get a graduate degree for free.

I don't understand why people are so mad? He clearly intended to graduate early, so I think he knew what he was doing and figured this might happen.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
He's graduating with two years of eligibility and he's not going to play and the school was going to let him be a graduate assistant coach, which is what people do after they graduate and still want to be around the team -- and get a graduate degree for free.

I don't understand why people are so mad? He clearly intended to graduate early, so I think he knew what he was doing and figured this might happen.

Exactly. If his main obligation is to his brother, than the degree would be more important to him than the two years of eligibility.

Having graduate school paid for him would also be pretty tempting.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Waaaaa, I got my undergraduated degree paid for and got to play football and I might have to wash jocks for a couple semesters. Waaaaaaaa.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I don't see why not. It's big business. This ain't rec league.

Well, since the school has the ultimate say on allowing transfers and under what conditions, this just seems like another situation where a player gets screwed on a one-way deal. When this happens, I would hope the transfer rules don't apply (having to sit out a year).

I have to admit I don't recall reading about something like this, so maybe Klinglerware is right, that the reality is the PR hit is far too costly to treat this like the NFL.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #13
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I read about this yeserday and I didn't get the uproar then either. A grad assistant position would be a pretty nice gig for someone in his position. He gets school paid for, a place to stay, and some money in his pocket each month.

He wasn't going to play anyway. Seems to me like Tommy Bowden was doing him a favor.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, since the school has the ultimate say on allowing transfers and under what conditions, this just seems like another situation where a player gets screwed on a one-way deal. When this happens, I would hope the transfer rules don't apply (having to sit out a year).

I have to admit I don't recall reading about something like this, so maybe Klinglerware is right, that the reality is the PR hit is far too costly to treat this like the NFL.

If the transfer rules don't apply, then this doesn't bother me nearly as much. However, if he is still prevented from playing football for a year - an athlete with NFL potential who was hit with injuries that limited that potential is getting screwed over by a coach who is pulling his scholarship rather than letting him try to prove himself on the field, and it seems like an anti-athlete rule. Also, according to articles I've read, he wasn't scheduled to graduate early. However, once Coach Bowden told him, that he wouldn't get much/any PT this year, he decided to accelerate his courses so that he would graduate in the fall. A sociology degree is nice, but I'm sure he would like a shot to prove that he can play football and possibly pick up an NFL check in the future.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I imagine they can (apparently) but it seems pretty out of the ordinary to do so.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #16
Ksyrup

Yeah, that's what's got me curious on this issue as a whole. Anyone know the answer?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #17
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

The caveat to this are the graduating players. You can probably safely yank a scholarship from a 4th year player who graduated--since you can make the argument that you no longer have an obligation to that player since they have already earned their degree.

They implemented that graduate transfer rule (a player who graduates with remaining eligibility could transfer without penalty and play elsewhere as a grad student) a couple years ago. It was meant to reward the academic performers, but it was rescinded by popular demand due to concerns about violations of the spirit of the rule.

He could delay his graduation if he really wanted to transfer and play somewhere else--but as Dark Cloud mentions, I doubt that is his real motivation.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
an athlete with NFL potential

That seems like a stretch. This is a guy who couldn't even get on the field as a RB at Clemson, hard to seriously described him as having "NFL potential" (although if he had stayed at safety, who knows).

And, in grudging fairness to Bowden (who still seems to me to have made a slimy decision here), this wasn't exactly a kid who was making himself indispensable to the team.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/...g_tigers33202/
Quote:
McElrathbey had a difficult relationship with his coaches, reportedly because of academic setbacks and spotty attendance at team functions. During spring drills last year, he was suspended for four practices because Bowden said he was "having a tough time juggling academics."

"I'm not sure he can do it at the level that he needs to at both ends," Bowden said at the time.

A sociology major, McElrathbey landed on the honor roll last semester while taking 21 hours, according to Clemson. If he does graduate in August, he'll have received his degree three years after his arrival at Clemson.

In August 2007, a few days before he suffered the season-ending knee injury, McElrathbey groused that his fame forced him to live to a higher standard.

"I'm not what everyone wants me to be," he said. "I'm a 20-year-old that isn't expected to live like other 20-year-olds, and I can't do the things that as a 20-year-old I would normally do. Because everything I do is magnified, changed and looked at differently.

"I have to live up to standards that ... I wouldn't say they're unfair, but they're hard."
Old 03-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That seems like a stretch. This is a guy who couldn't even get on the field as a RB at Clemson, hard to seriously described him as having "NFL potential" (although if he had stayed at safety, who knows).

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/...g_tigers33202/

I know it's a stretch, but to be fair he did tear an ACL in 07. Who knows what he could have done with time to recover. Is it a long shot for him? Certainly. But, I still think it is terrible if he has to sit out another year due to transfer rules when he really has no choice in this transfer should he choose to go that route.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
Ksyrup

It is a stretch, but in fairness to him, look who he's playing behind.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #21
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Those crazy Bowdens.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From a NYT article conveniently published earlier this week

Quote:
Despite common references in news media reports, there is no such thing as a four-year scholarship. All N.C.A.A. athletic scholarships must be renewed and are not guaranteed year to year, something stated in bold letters on the organization’s Web site for student-athletes. Nearly every scholarship can be canceled for almost any reason in any year, although it is unclear how often that happens.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #23
Ksyrup

Huh, interesting. Like I said, if the transfer rules don't apply to this situation, I guess it doesn't bother me, since the PR hit probably serves as a deterrent unless there's an academic/conduct issue they want to rid themselves of.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-13-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Huh, interesting. Like I said, if the transfer rules don't apply to this situation, I guess it doesn't bother me, since the PR hit probably serves as a deterrent unless there's an academic/conduct issue they want to rid themselves of.

He will have to sit out a year if he wants to transfer.

Are NCAA scholarships one year renewable scholarships? Yes. Do most coaches treat them as 4 year scholarships to avoid PR and recruiting backlash. Yes.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It's a slow week at work (due to statewide standarized testing) so I just reviewed NCAA rules, and I don't see any exceptions for when scholarships are pulled. Also, this article from a few years ago about an Arkansas player who had his scholarship revoked supports that they still have to sit out a year:

http://media.www.thetraveleronline.c...d-659066.shtml
Old 03-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #26
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
He will have to sit out a year if he wants to transfer.

Are NCAA scholarships one year renewable scholarships? Yes. Do most coaches treat them as 4 year scholarships to avoid PR and recruiting backlash. Yes.

So you're saying that someone who is "let go" and does not initiate the request to transfer, but is only seeking to play at another school because his first school declined to renew his scholarship, is penalized a year? Now THAT'S fucking bullshit.

You call that a transfer. I'm not sure that definition applies here (at least not to the athletic department; the school, sure, I understand that's technically transferring academically from one to the other. But still...!).
Old 03-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #27
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
It's a slow week at work (due to statewide standarized testing) so I just reviewed NCAA rules, and I don't see any exceptions for when scholarships are pulled. Also, this article from a few years ago about an Arkansas player who had his scholarship revoked supports that they still have to sit out a year:

http://media.www.thetraveleronline.c...d-659066.shtml

Wow. I'm glad this appears to happen only in rare circumstances.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #28
DeToxRox
Head Coach

He could've gray shirted him if he really wanted him so his schollie counts vs next year.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #29
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Yes, the NCAA has a ridiculous monopoly on the student-athletes. They can revoke a scholarship for almost any reason, and the player will have to sit out a year (unless they transfer down a level). Letters of intent are even worse, and even though Terrelle Pryor seems like kind of a douche, I hope he doesn't sign one and just goes to school in the fall. I think those things are illegal and would lose a court challenge.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #30
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ok I'm sure I'm about to shock everyone where I stand on this one....

#1 Tommy Bowden has stated publicly that he will gladly sign any waiver that would inhibbit a transfer, he does not want ray ray to suffer from a transfer.

#2 Ray ray has missed 70% of workouts since the Peach Bowl and has cited issues relating to taking care of Farmar as the reason almost exclusively. On Friday Tomy had a "come to Jesus meeting" with ray ray to tell him to get his head out of his ass and get in the gym. This
meeting ended with Rayray walking out of Coach Bowden's office screaming Fuck YOU. A 10 minute meeting monday ended with the decision to (reportedly mutual) terminate the scholarship. Howeveer his schooling is paid through his anticipateed graduation date at this point.

#3 James Davis does not like Coach Bowden, so he has a decided slant on his version.

#4 NFL talent HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...seriously? He cant make a 3 deep at Clemson....NFL talent? WOW

#5 I do respect him for the courage he has shown and hope nothing but good things for him. Today the trust fund has over 400k on the ledger, once he leaves an NCAA team he can access this money in 100k annual increments. This is reportedly a major factor in his decision.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:44 AM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Terrelle Pryor seems like kind of a douche

Yeah, you can say that again.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #32
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Just for the record, the NCAA and Compliance offices do require a justification other than poor on-field performace to reduce or revoke a scholarship. Does this prevent some (shady) schools from revoking scholarships due to poor perforamce, though? No. What happens then is they player is either forced to "quit," agree to a medical hardship, have been cited for poor behavior or academics, etc.

It's actually refreshing to see this come to light in football, because this is the normal, day-to-day business of the non-revenue sports, where all of the scholarships are split up and coaches will go to great lengths to ensure every person recieving money is having success.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #33
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Washington just did this w/ Ty not too long ago. But I believe Ty did it just before the season ended and then didn't let the "not welcomed back" Jrs participate in Senior day.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote