Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Europa Universalis: Rome

I've been tracking the progress of this game by Paradox Interactive for some time, and am really looking forward to it. It is going to be released on April 15. Though the title has Europa Universalis in it, it is a stand alone game that will model a really interesting time in Roman history. You will be able to pick from a very large group of powers to play in the game - the big guys like Rome and Carthage, or try your hand as Germanic barbarians!

One thing I like a lot is they are bringing a modified form of the family trees and dynasties from Crusader Kings, you will be able to see your leaders' parents, rivals, friends, and they even may have some special abilities. There will also be loyalty factors which were always a problem throughout Roman history. Your general has won all those wars for you? Great! But now his legions are personally loyal to him, and if he decides to take a shot at the crown, they'll fight for him, not you.

There are a lot more features, those are just a few. IGN did a preview of the game recently, that's a good read.

IGN Preview

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

EU passed up my computers ability with the last game, I am sure this game will be way beyond it now. I would like to play these games.

Last edited by Cringer : 03-10-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
EU passed up my computers ability with the last game, I am sure this game will be way beyond it now. I would like to play these games.

Yep, same problem here. I'm not sure why EU went with the high specs on a strategy/map game. EUIII only runs on my highest spec machine. I doubt this one will be any better.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

System requirements

* VISTA COMPATIBLE
* Microsoft Windows XP/2000
* 1.9 Ghz Intel Pentium or similar AMD
* RAM 512mb
* Direct X 9.0c
* 128mb compatible video card & support for pixelshader 2.0
Old 03-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

I've definitely got this on my radar. Incorporating dynastic elements from CK = awesome.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
System requirements

* VISTA COMPATIBLE
* RAM 512mb
* Direct X 9.0c

That doesn;t seem unreasonable to me. I bought my desktop over six years ago and have only upgraded once by adding a second harddrive, and even I can run that.

-Abe

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
System requirements

* VISTA COMPATIBLE
* RAM 512mb
* Direct X 9.0c

Pixelshader 2.0 is my problem. I only have one computer with a card that has that included.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Pixelshader 2.0 is most people's problem. While most desktops (even ones that are fairly old) have g raphics cards that support pixelshaders, many people who use laptops unless they have a laptop oriented towards gaming, they have a built onboard graphics card that does not support pixelshader 2.0.

Unfortunatly once my family had health issues last year, and my game time was limited while I was home, I only had business trips and commute time available to play games like this on my laptop. So I pretty much stopped playing EU3 last year for this reason.. otherwise I likely would still play it a ton, was a great game in my opinion.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

We are a laptop family, with 3 of them. None are great gaming computers for today's game. So I guess that is my problem. Our one PC is a $350 machine for basic stuff only really.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

2.0 shaders are pretty old. ATI Radeon 9500 or newer and NVidia cards in the FX series or newer support them, and you can get those cards really cheap now ($30-$40).

I've been following Rome, reading the dev journals, and am really looking forward to it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

If i remember correctly, I think they programmed an emulator of PixelShader 2.0 in one of the patches for EUIII (but you still needed support for PixelShader 1.2). I doubt that they will do the same for Rome, considering how old 2.0 is, but that may get EUIII up and running on some laptops.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, I just went to Can You Run It? and checked my laptop with EUIII, and it says my graphics card has pixel shader 2.0. Perhaps when I tried the demo I was on my older laptop. I pass the minimums test, but fail the recommended on one part. I have 128 MB of video memory and the recommended in 256 MB. I could probably run it on this laptop, but I also get the same exact results when I test for SimCity Societies which is slow and choppy when I try to play it.

Lack of video memory seems to be my week spot on this laptop, which pisses me off because when I bought it I was under the impression the integrated video memory could be bumped up much higher. When I got it out of the box I found out that the high number at the store and on the box was because of virtual video memory, something that no game takes into account from what I have found.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:34 AM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

List of Playable Factions as of the Jan. 30th Developer Diary (taken from Paradox forum)

Italy
Magna Grecia
Massilia
Rome
Syracusae

Greece
Achaean League
Aetolian League
Crete
Dacia
Epirus
Illyria
Macedonia
Sparta
Tylis

Asia Minor
Bithynia
Cappadocia
Corduene
Galatia
Lycian League
Paphlagonia
Pergamon
Pontus
Rhodes

Caucasus
Albania
Armenia
Bosporan Kingdom
Colchis
Iberia
Rhoxolani

Levant
Commagene
Judea
Nabatea
Osroene
Parthia
Seleucid Empire
Sophene

Africa
Carthage
Cyrenaica
Egypt
Mauretania
Numidia

Barbarians
Aedui
Arverni
Atrebates
Aulerci
Cantabri
Carnutes
Eburones
Helvetii
Lemovices
Lusitani
Nervii
Parisii
Sequani
Suebi
Vaccaei

Old 03-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

dola,

there's also a pre-order special for a Collectors Edition that's only available through Paradox's website.

The thread detailing the info is here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=341324

Old 03-14-2008, 07:06 AM   #15
Peregrine
Pro Starter

One of Paradox's developers is doing an interactive AAR with the game, with tons of screenshots. Really cool stuff - check it out

Macedonia
Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #16
Galaril
Pro Starter

For anyone that liked the EU:Rome game, there is an expansion out ,that really makes a good game great IMHO. It cleans up and simplies the interface, totally rewrote combat/military AI, and added a ton of new character/personality features. This has brought this game alot closer now to the Crusader Kings game albeit in an EU framework. Ther expansion is $9.99 at gamer's gate if interested:
GamersGate - Download Games Anytime Anywhere
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #17
Barkeep49
Coordinator

What about people who didn't like the game, do you think they will like this? That seems like the bigger audience to tap.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #18
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I only played the expansion for a bit last night, but it greatly improved the game. If you hated it initially I doubt this will change things, but if you liked the idea, but thought gameplay was lacking I'd give this a try. It is, however, much more difficult. I rolled through my first war, but my leading general got too popular and decided to revolt with his troops.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

My biggest problem with EU: Rome was that it was too much like EU 3 except scaled down to a more limited set of time and a more limited geographical area. Basically there felt like a few different other things I could do in EU: Rome, but if I wanted to play that type of game, EU3 is far suuperior.

Does the expansion help shape it more into its own game? I was hoping for more play within the government and such instead of just another landgrab/colonizing/war game.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #20
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I've only played as Rome, so I can't speak for other countries.

The Senate is now more clearly represented and does have a much greater influence on the game. Laws can be passed, missions are given and every decision has an impact on the factions in the senate. It's still a little simplistic, but it's much better.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #21
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm tempted with this expansion to get it and get back into EU:R, especially if it's more CK like.

Are there more playable factions?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #22
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
My biggest problem with EU: Rome was that it was too much like EU 3 except scaled down to a more limited set of time and a more limited geographical area. Basically there felt like a few different other things I could do in EU: Rome, but if I wanted to play that type of game, EU3 is far suuperior.

Does the expansion help shape it more into its own game? I was hoping for more play within the government and such instead of just another landgrab/colonizing/war game.

It definitely now feels alot more like it's own game. I do agree with the your complaint that EU rome the original felt like a dumbdowned era specific mod of EU 3. But, I don't feel like it is overly simplified anymore and to be honest I am enjoying Rome with VV expansion more than EU 3 with In Nominee. This one adds alot of the stuff from the In Nominee. There are still the same amount of fa ctions to play which is afair amount. I generally don't see that as a major drawing point to this game though. If it however then EU 3 is the better choice. I mean I play EU Rome mostly to play as Rome. Last thing I will say is for anyone who found the EU games hard to get into I can say I too have had the problem but last night I booted up Rome and before I knew it I had play 6 hours! I never ever play any game that along except when I would be screwing with a OOTP game trying to set up a universe with mods and graphics etc.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote