Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Memphis advice

I did a fofc search and did come across a thread on Memphis but it was basically a bunch of posters ripping the thread starter for wanting to visit Memphis. So let's get this out of the way first. Me and my girlfriend live in St. Louis and want to get out town for a weekend. She is from Kansas City and we have done Chicago a million times so we both decided that we have never been to Memphis or Beale st and thought it would make for a fun weekend. It really isn't much of a drive and will get us away from the stale for something different. (Plus if I can get her drunk enough, Tunica isn't out of the question!)

Unfortunatly all of the hotels within walking distance of Beale are sold out. We did find a hotel called the Artisan which on the other side of the highway from downtown Memphis. Link: http://www.artisanmemphis.com/ I can tell from the reviews that it is a bit of a rundown dump but we are basically drunks that just need a bed to crash on at like 4 in the morning. There are only two things that scare me.

1. Is this a really bad part of town? Obviously it aint great based on the $60 room rate, but I am more concerned if I am staying in a high crime zone Memphis ghetto.

2. If you have heard of the hotel, how bad is bad? Most of the reviews bitch about no high speed internet, or bad breakfast, or rude service. I just want to know if my room has a clean shower and bed.

Since we will only be there 2 nights we will probably spend most of our time around Beale. I would love to hear suggestions for food, bars, or even something cool outside of the main strip. We don't care much for Elvis, but love live music and bars!

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I would probably take a taxi from that hotel to Beale. Other than that, it will not be that bad. What weekend are you going?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
MacroGuru
Coordinator

If you have money or are willing to spend it...McEwans..great place...Rendevouz is a must have for first timers to Memphis as well...

I will let the locals speak more..I just visit family there...last time I lived there, 1990...
Old 02-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I would probably take a taxi from that hotel to Beale. Other than that, it will not be that bad. What weekend are you going?

Two weeks. (Feb 29, March 1) I figure that the rooms are booked because Beale street is a popular tourist stop, but is there anything special going on in town that weekend?

We will definitely be taking a taxi. Even if the fare is $20/30 it is worth the piece of mind of not having to drive in an umfamiliar city after a few cocktails. I assume it won't be that hard to find a taxi back to the hotel?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I did a fofc search and did come across a thread on Memphis but it was basically a bunch of posters ripping the thread starter for wanting to visit Memphis.

Did you come across a post from me saying where the whores walk the street 24 hours a day?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
If you have money or are willing to spend it...McEwans..great place...Rendevouz is a must have for first timers to Memphis as well...

I will let the locals speak more..I just visit family there...last time I lived there, 1990...

I heard about Rendevouz and that is on our to do list. What kind of food is McEwans? The thing about my girlfriend (a really good) thing is that she is just as impressed with a good hole in the wall restaurant as someplace real classy. How late are the bars open on weekends?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Did you come across a post from me saying where the whores walk the street 24 hours a day?

Heh. Don't remember that one, but it sounds like I will have to make a return trip with just the guys. Most of the posts in the other thread were saying what a dump Memphis was. (Seemed to be the same 4 or 5 people posting about 3 times each though)
Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
(Plus if I can get her drunk enough, Tunica isn't out of the question!)

This isn't how I expected the sentence to end.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I would skip Rendevouz. It is a lot of hype and no where near the best BBQ place in Memphis. I would eat at Blues City Cafe. Cheap, good food. I can't remember if there is a Huey's downtown or not, but they have good food.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Heh. Don't remember that one, but it sounds like I will have to make a return trip with just the guys. Most of the posts in the other thread were saying what a dump Memphis was. (Seemed to be the same 4 or 5 people posting about 3 times each though)

I am not sure I would use these ladies services, but it is pretty fun to roll down US 78 just to see them. (It's the main truck drag on the south side of town, so that is how I know about it.)
Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I would skip Rendevouz. It is a lot of hype and no where near the best BBQ place in Memphis. I would eat at Blues City Cafe. Cheap, good food. I can't remember if there is a Huey's downtown or not, but they have good food.

It's not that it's the best..hell, Corky's is better...it's the fact it's basically become a food landmark for Memphis....thats why you have to do it...
Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
korme
Go Reds

Memphis is nice.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:57 AM   #13
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I've been in Memphis twice in my life. I've never seen a town like it. You can be driving and find the nicest country clubs and upscale tourist spots and 5 mins later be driving through an entire area where the only thing in common is the "For Lease" and "Available" signs -- all within a 10 minute trip trying to get to either the hotel or wherever you're driving.

I'm sure this could happen anywhere, but I've never seen the "bad", "good", "bad", "good" sections roll by so quickly in other towns.

That being said, Beale street is a must (just to say you've been there).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:49 AM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Hey, while you're in Memphis, make a stop to see my wife's hot aunt. Tell her hi for me. Thanks. Bye.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #15
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I've been in Memphis twice in my life. I've never seen a town like it. You can be driving and find the nicest country clubs and upscale tourist spots and 5 mins later be driving through an entire area where the only thing in common is the "For Lease" and "Available" signs -- all within a 10 minute trip trying to get to either the hotel or wherever you're driving.

I'm sure this could happen anywhere, but I've never seen the "bad", "good", "bad", "good" sections roll by so quickly in other towns.

That being said, Beale street is a must (just to say you've been there).

That was kind of the point of this thread, figuring out if my hotel was in gangland or not.