Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

John Dewberry

The former Georgia Tech and Calgary Stampeder quarterback is doing very well for him.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/05/news...ion=2008020804

Sunday: Charleston, S.C.

Biding time and building liquidity

In the 1980s, John Dewberry was a star quarterback at Georgia Tech. He never made it as a pro, but he used his modest signing bonus from the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League to launch a hugely successful career in commercial real estate. His PR guy says he's worth $400 million today. Among his extensive holdings in the Southeast are Two Peachtree Pointe, a just completed 12-story office building in Atlanta; and the Mendel Rivers Federal Building, "the most significant undeveloped piece of real estate in Charleston," Dewberry says, which he just bought at auction from the General Services Administration for $15 million. Dewberry breeds thoroughbreds, hunts quail (with Georgia, his German shorthaired), flies in his own jet, and spends occasional weekends in a lovingly restored 1772 Charleston townhouse at the preferred end of Meeting Street, inside the old walled city, where I met him and his girlfriend, Cameron, for brunch.

Knowing all that about Dewberry's past, here's what you need to understand about him now: After a couple of years of relative inactivity - "waiting," he says, "for the knife to fall" - he's positioning himself for the next big grab. Not quite yet. The knife's still falling, he believes. But soon, very soon. "I have 10% liquidity right now, and I've got $40 million," he says. "I want to get that to $80 million so I'll have 20%."

Dewberry thinks he can raise the money by selling a mall in Richmond he bought for $1.8 million during the last recession. He says he has a buyer who'll pay $50 million and can close by the end of this year. Which, Dewberry's predicting, is when the knife will stop falling: "On Jan. 5, I called my top guys and said, 'Fellas, it's our time again. We've been sitting on the sidelines watching the other guys play. Br'er Rabbit's getting ready to get out of the briar patch!'"

Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

"The preferred end of Meeting Street"?

*snicker*

*figure I'll buy the guy a beer if we cross paths*

Last edited by NoMyths : 02-16-2008 at 12:09 AM.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting, I had no idea that's how things have turned out for him.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Interesting, I had no idea that's how things have turned out for him.

$400 million, a private jet, and the lack of wear and tear of a long career of a pro player...Not bad at just 40.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

FWIW, John Dewberry is battling prostate cancer that has spread to other parts of his abdomen. I haven't read an update in a couple of months, which may actually be a good thing.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Damn