Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Guitar Hero cash-cow will be thoroughly milked in 2008

The rumor is that there will be FOUR Guitar Hero games in 2008. GH4 and GH:Aerosmith are two confirmed so far, but there's also rumors of a U2 version.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/...tar-hero_N.htm

have to admit, it's going to be a bit of a test to avoid breaking my GH boycott.

SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
SnDvls
Pro Starter

I played GH:III for the Wii for the first time last weekend (a cousin had it and 2 guitars) it was a pretty fun game. At first I really didn't get the excitement of it, but I can really see the addiction some people have for it. The problem is that you can not buy a 2nd guitar for the Wii yet without buying the game again.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Wow, props to Aerosmith for one-upping the Kings of Rock Whoredom, Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Mama Kin has to be one of my favourite songs ever. However, while there would be a number of fun songs, I'm not sure I would splurge for an entire Aerosmith game unless it physically included Alicia Silverstone circa the mid-90's.

However, the Super Bowl appearance sounds pretty cool and they hinted at special guests, which I would imagine would include Run DMC
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

grr... going to suck if I don't get My Xbox 360 GHIII freezing problems figured out. (No other games have frozen more than 1x but, GH3 goes 10-15 minutes and then bam.. freezes)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Mama Kin has to be one of my favourite songs ever. However, while there would be a number of fun songs, I'm not sure I would splurge for an entire Aerosmith game unless it physically included Alicia Silverstone circa the mid-90's.[

I'd love my own Alicia Silverstone circa the mid-90s, especially if she comes in the Clueless package.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Jim G.
Grizzled Veteran

I was talking to one of the trades who helped build our house the other day. Nice guy, loves his Playstation.

He had asked me what I did for a living, and I was trying to explain what Front Office Football was, and why it's a lot harder to do this now than it was ten years ago when PC gaming had a much larger market share.

His response: "You could make millions writing Guitar Hero: Country Music. I'd buy that."

Not sure I'm taking his advice. There might be copyright issues afoot.
Jim G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. View Post
I was talking to one of the trades who helped build our house the other day. Nice guy, loves his Playstation.

He had asked me what I did for a living, and I was trying to explain what Front Office Football was, and why it's a lot harder to do this now than it was ten years ago when PC gaming had a much larger market share.

His response: "You could make millions writing Guitar Hero: Country Music. I'd buy that."

I'm curious what Guitar Hero would look like as a text sim.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Please let EA buy exclusive rights to the guitar hero franchise.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
SFL Cat
College Starter

Personally, I'm counting the days until we hear news about the upcoming "Guitar Hero" reality series.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I hope the Aerosmith game bombs, what an awful band.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I'm not a big fan of the band either.

As I mentioned, some songs would be pretty enticing such as Mama Kin, Sweet Emotion, perhaps Walk This Way w/ Run DMC.

However, I'm not sure how long I could play having to constantly here Steve Tyler's wailing.

While I like their early stuff, Tyler became somewhat grating afterwards.

FWIW, here is a list of their singles that cracked the top 40...I'm not sure that I would be playing past the 70's, and I don't even like their Beatles cover of Come Together at that either.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #13
Pyser
Pro Rookie

man, of all of those songs, its pretty shocking only 1 hit #1. and very shocking which one, of those, that did it.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

Love in an Elevator rules. The rest suck.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
man, of all of those songs, its pretty shocking only 1 hit #1. and very shocking which one, of those, that did it.

not really...it had liv tyler and that movie with the asteroid and all behind it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #16
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Will it have the option to just play Crying Crazy Amazing as one song?

P.S. I will call anyone who buys this a loser, but will also line up at Best Buy at midnight if they do a GnR version.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #17
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

P.S. I will call anyone who buys this a loser, but will also line up at Best Buy at midnight if they do a GnR version.

I DONT NEED YOUR CIVIL WAR
korme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #18
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Also now rumors are starting to float for a Guitar Hero: The Beatles edition.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #19
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

seriously, all 3 of those songs are so similar. i'm drawing a blank cuz i forgot how Crazy goes. i think thats the one with Liv Tyler and Alicia Silverstone in the video.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #20
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Also now rumors are starting to float for a Guitar Hero: The Beatles edition.

That would be the only way I'd buy GH.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #21
WheelsVT
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm curious what Guitar Hero would look like as a text sim.

Ever play a typing tutor game?
I can see it now, the toughest "song" would be typing the close captioning of the lawyer speak at the end of car commercials.
And our hearing-impaired crowd goes wild as our hero nails the number/percent solo!
WheelsVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #22
Ksyrup

FYI

Guitar Hero 4 details get bootlegged

Guitar HeroDevelopers behind the wildly popular Guitar Hero franchise have taken the wraps off of the series' latest incarnation which adds a slew of new instruments to the mix.

Guitar Hero 4 will expand into Rock Band's territory, adding drums and a microphone to the array of instruments at your disposal.

The drums will feature three electronic drum pads, along with two cymbals and a bass pedal. The drum set-up looks bulkier than Rock Band's small four drum combo, but sturdier as well. The kit will also be wireless and feature pressure sensitive drums, which will increase the sound of the note the harder you hit it.

The traditional guitar will receive some changes as well. Gizmodo spotted that the Guitar Hero 4 controller will feature five new buttons around the base of the controller, which could be used for tapping on solos.

Activision has raised the stakes for online play, adding 8 player games in which one four-piece band can take on another four-piece directly online. The game will also feature master tracks from Van Halen, The Eagles, Linkin Park and Sublime. In fact, every song included in Guitar Hero 4 will be a master track, so fans needn't worry about campy cover versions.

Expect Guitar Hero 4 to hit the stage this fall.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #23
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It has been thoroughly milked here in Asia for the past ten years or so.

GuitarFreakz has been out that long.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #24
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. View Post

We took an unexpected car trip last weekend and after listening to some Garth Brooks on the iPod, decided that they needed to do a GH: Country Music, I'd play that a lot more than I play my son's GH 3.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #25
Ksyrup

I'm still waiting for the GH:Metal version I read about a couple of years ago. I've gotten to the point where I really dislike playing songs I don't know or like. In fact, I played GH3 for about a week, got through Medium and into Hard, before I stopped playing. Haven't touched the game since probably the first week of January (got it for XMas).
Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #26
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
FYI

Guitar Hero 4 details get bootlegged

Guitar HeroDevelopers behind the wildly popular Guitar Hero franchise have taken the wraps off of the series' latest incarnation which adds a slew of new instruments to the mix.

Guitar Hero 4 will expand into Rock Band's territory, adding drums and a microphone to the array of instruments at your disposal.

The drums will feature three electronic drum pads, along with two cymbals and a bass pedal. The drum set-up looks bulkier than Rock Band's small four drum combo, but sturdier as well. The kit will also be wireless and feature pressure sensitive drums, which will increase the sound of the note the harder you hit it.

The traditional guitar will receive some changes as well. Gizmodo spotted that the Guitar Hero 4 controller will feature five new buttons around the base of the controller, which could be used for tapping on solos.

Activision has raised the stakes for online play, adding 8 player games in which one four-piece band can take on another four-piece directly online. The game will also feature master tracks from Van Halen, The Eagles, Linkin Park and Sublime. In fact, every song included in Guitar Hero 4 will be a master track, so fans needn't worry about campy cover versions.

Expect Guitar Hero 4 to hit the stage this fall.

Beenox Studio here in a Quebec City made a big recruitment call about a week ago when it was announced that they would be developping a future version of Guitar Hero. I knew it was the one coming this Fall as it was just too clos and they said they were looking for any and all types of music people, sure guitar players but also drummers and others. In the radio interview about it, the studio founder wouldn't say if the game would include drums and such, but it was kind of implied. Cool to see it might be coming for the version released this Fall.

Can't provide link to it because most games site are blocked at work but you can google "beenox to develop guitar hero" and it should give you plenty of links.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 05-29-2008 at 09:59 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #27
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Maybe this is more appropriate for the Rock Band thread, but whatevs.

Is there anything stopping them from creating a utility that takes a song you upload, and creates a file that you can play with? It'd be a little difficult, but not overly much, I'd think. And they're not distributing the song -- it was your song to begin with.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #28
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Is there anything stopping them from creating a utility that takes a song you upload, and creates a file that you can play with? It'd be a little difficult, but not overly much, I'd think. And they're not distributing the song -- it was your song to begin with.

From a pure technical standpoint, probably not, but it wouldn't be a good business decision. Makes expansions and DLC pretty much worthless.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #29
Ksyrup

Tor Thorsen of GameSpot reports: When sifting through an SEC filing of Activision's over the weekend, Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Edward Woo — associate of the highly visible Michael Pachter — uncovered a gem in the section where the Santa Monica, California-based publisher discussed its upcoming game slate.

"In fiscal 2009, we plan to publish Guitar Hero: On Tour for the NDS; Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, Guitar Hero: Metallica, and Guitar Hero IV across multiple platforms," the company said in its report. Activision's fiscal year ends on March 31, 2009, which means that the game will likely follow the holiday release of Guitar Hero: World Tour (nee Guitar Hero 4).
Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #30
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Gee, those milking sounds are getting louder.. besides, GH:A Only is going to have like 40 songs.. they're making you pay full price for an expansion pack. Glad I swore off them after their escapades last year.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #31
SFL Cat
College Starter

*crawling out from under rock*

What is this Guitar Hero you speak of?

Last edited by SFL Cat : 06-03-2008 at 12:09 AM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #32
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've gotten to the point where I really dislike playing songs I don't know or like.

Yeah, I'm the same. GH1 was still the best mix of songs by FAR IMO. I wish it had variable difficulty levels for the multiplayer like the sequels though, because I'm at expert and everyone I play(ed) with is closer to medium.

Having said that, I have discovered a couple of songs I really liked through GH, like "Who Was in my Room Last Night?" by the Butthole Surfers, and that Lamb of God song.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 AM   #33
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

GH: Aerosmith....just in case you want to make every night a super bowl halftime show!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #34
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah, I'm the same. GH1 was still the best mix of songs by FAR IMO. I wish it had variable difficulty levels for the multiplayer like the sequels though, because I'm at expert and everyone I play(ed) with is closer to medium.

Having said that, I have discovered a couple of songs I really liked through GH, like "Who Was in my Room Last Night?" by the Butthole Surfers, and that Lamb of God song.

That Lamb of God song is much better when you can hear the "SEE WHO GIVES A FUCK!" part. When the kids aren't around, I go to town on that song.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #35
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
GH: Aerosmith....just in case you want to make every night a super bowl halftime show!

To be fair, their older stuff is great. I don't know what the mix will be for this game, though. Last Child is on one of the GH games already.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-03-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #36
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

I think GH2 still has a pretty good mix of songs but groups 7 and 8 kindof fall apart. The 80s version has the same problem: 1-4 are good, 5 and 6 have maybe 4 playable songs between the two groups.

But it's getting more and more difficult to play songs I don't like. I'll just play through it and be happy I'm done and never play it again. GH1 had that unique quality that there were a lot of songs I didn't know but a lot of those I have liked after playing it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #37
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The set list for GH: Aerosmith has been released. http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/878/878564p1.html

* = made famous by

Nipmuc High School
Mott the Hoople – All the Young Dudes *
Cheap Trick – Dream Police
Aerosmith – Make It
Aerosmith – Uncle Salty
Aerosmith – Draw the Line

Max's Kansas City
Joan Jett – I Hate Myself for Loving You
The Kinks – All Day and All of the Night *
Aerosmith – Movin' Out
Aerosmith – No Surprize
Aerosmith – Sweet Emotion

The Orpheum Theater
The Clash – Complete Control
New York Dolls – Personality Crisis *
Aerosmith – Livin' on the Edge
Aersomith – Ragdoll
Aerosmith – Love in an Elevator

Moscow
The Cult – She Sells Sanctuary
Run DMC – King of Rock
Aerosmith – Bright Light Fright
Aerosmith – Nobody's Fault
Run DMC featuring Aerosmith – Walk This Way

Half-Time Show
Lenny Kravitz – Always on the Run
Black Crowes – Hard to Handle *
Aerosmith – Back in the Saddle
Aerosmith – Beyond Beautiful
Aerosmith – Dream On
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-04-2008 at 07:31 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #38
Groundhog
Coordinator

My desire to play any of those songs lies well below zero.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yep, even if I wasn't boycotting, this is passtastic.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #40
DeToxRox
Head Coach

GH: Metallica I will for sure buy. Too bad every fucking song will be impossible.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #41
Ksyrup

I won't be buying Aerosmith, but the track listing is a bit better than I was expecting.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It was about on par with what I figured. Missing a couple I would like but still a pretty good mix of stuff. Still probably not getting it until it hits $20.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:56 AM   #43
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

How do you have an Aerosmith game without Janie's Got A Gun?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:49 AM   #44
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

At least they didn't fuck around with shit like "Jaded". Early Aerosmith was tolerable, as Ksyrup pointed out.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #45
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
How do you have an Aerosmith game without Janie's Got A Gun?

Eh, for guitar hero purposes, that song is pretty weak. This isn't a greatest hits package. I'm not all that thrilled that the Run DMC version of Walk This Way is included. I understand why it is, but the original would have been better for this game.