Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Let's Talk Some Fantasy Baseball

I know I'm a bit antsy with fantasy ball discussion already, but pitchers and catchers have reported.

Anyways, I have a question about a trade.

Okay, our league rules are quite unique (possibly in part because we are Canadian). I play in an 8 team dynasty league where everyone is a keeper and we have 100 player rosters.

Scoring is very basic for hitters - 1 point per base and 1 point per RBI (there has been some discussion to implement 1 point per stolen base as well but that has not yet come to fruition).

We have 2 starters at every position (while OF is 6 players). You play each team head to head during the week. Winning a position is "a run" while OF is "three runs". Obviously whoever has more "runs" in a week wins - there are 13 runs total up for grabs each week).

I should add that you also have 3 RHS, 2 LHS, 2 RHR, and 2 LHR for pitchers, which is 10 points per win, 5 points per save, 1 point per strike out (and 1 point per appearance for lefty relievers).

Also, players are limited to a single position based on their position on the MLB website.

Unique to say the least? Yes.

Anyways, here is the situation...

As part of a trade last year I am set to receive either Adam Jones or BJ Upton as future considerations. BJ will be an OF (but OF are fairly valuable in our league because of the three runs that a power heavy OF gives you).

I also own the second overall pick. We have two drafts a year, so this draft consists of anyone that debuted after the All-Star break.

The top two guys on the board are Justin Upton and Cameron Maybin and I will be targeting one or the other.

The conditions of the aforementioned trade are that if I land Justin Upton, I have the choice of BJ or Jones. If I don't land Justin, it means I get Jones.

Here is what I need to know...

Who do you think is better (considering the format)...

BJ Upton or Adam Jones

and

Justin Upton or Cameron Maybin?

Also, how much would you pay to flip-flop for the top pick to get both Uptons (assuming you feel they are superior).

I have a wealth of good young RHS in Gallardo, Lincecum, Billingsley, and Pelfrey as well as McGowan and Wainwright.

I'm tempted to offer up McGowan or Wainwright.

However, the guy with the top pick asked for a third basemen.

I have Wright and Beltre as my starters with Josh Fields and Chase Headley as prospects there. I also have Mike Lamb and Chone Figgins (whose value is severely limited without multiple position eligibility and stolen bases). I'm tempted to offer up one of Lamb or Figgins. However, I do want to move Beltre because of his $13 million salary (there is no cap, but your team profits are based on performance vs. salary).

So, for anyone who has read through that rant, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 02-15-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Following all this made my head hurt, but because this cracked me up
Quote:
(possibly in part because we are Canadian)

I'll give you a partial answer and say that I would pass on both Uptons and take Jones and Maybin, however you must go about doing that.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Atocep
Coordinator

Adam Jones over BJ Upton unless stolen bases are counted.

Justin Upton over Maybin.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

1. Justin Upton
2. Cameron Maybin
3. Adam Jones
4. BJ Upton

So you get 1 point per strike??? That would be a lot of points so I assume its a typo or you meant something else.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
So you get 1 point per strike??? That would be a lot of points so I assume its a typo or you meant something else.

Strike out. Guess I missed that there. Probably makes a bit of a difference.

Anyways, a hitters value is basically TB + RBI. For pitchers, you usually covet guys who have high K/9 that get a lot of wins.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Well, I used Chone Figgins and the 2nd overall pick to land the first overall pick.

Figgins is limited by the single position restriction (where he is a 3B and behind Wright, Beltre, and prospects Fields and Headley) as well as the fact that as of right now, we don't count SB, so I am comfortable giving him up.

I'll take Justin Upton with the pick.

The question now becomes BJ Upton or Adam Jones?

It seems like the consensus here is Jones, although both are the same age and BJ has proven quite a bit more thus far in their short careers.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Given your odd rules, I'd say Jones, but I wouldn't see anything wrong with Upton either.

If you had SB's, and had different position eligibility then I'd easily say Upton though.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around 100 player teams.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

I joined into the 2nd year of a keeper league and inherited a pretty decent team, pitching is sort of weak so I need to try and build up that, but I got some great young players on offense.

I need to cut this list down 29 players to 17 by next weekend.

Now remember I didn't draft this team.

Travis Hafner 1B
David Wright 3B
Victor Martinez C / 1B
Todd Helton 1B
Jermain Dye OF
Felipe Lopez 2B / SS
Scott Podsednick OF
Coco Crisp OF
Orlando Cabrera SS
Brad Hawpe OF
Dustin Pedroia 2B / SS
Xavier Nady 1B / OF
Melky Cabrera OF
James Loney 1B
Cameron Maybin OF
Adam Jones OF

Derek Lowe SP
Brandon Webb SP
Pedro Martinez SP
Noah Lowry SP
Greg Maddux
Boof Bonser SP
Luke Hochevar SP
Edison Volquez SP
Bran Hennessey SP / RP
Adam Wainwright SP / RP
Jeremy Accardo RP
Matt Capps RP
BJ Ryan RP
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
DanGarion
Coordinator

Can we declare this the official fantasy baseball discussion thread?

I wonder if anyone has any stats on what the typical positional starter does. I know VORP, but I'm hoping there might be actual stat numbers on what the typical starter does so I can rank my players/team to figure out my needs. I can do it without this, but I'd just like to see if someone has a baseline.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Travis Hafner 1B
David Wright 3B
Victor Martinez C / 1B
Todd Helton 1B
Jermain Dye OF

Felipe Lopez 2B / SS
Scott Podsednick OF
Coco Crisp OF
Orlando Cabrera SS
Brad Hawpe OF
Dustin Pedroia 2B / SS
Xavier Nady 1B / OF
Melky Cabrera OF
James Loney 1B
Cameron Maybin OF
Adam Jones OF

Derek Lowe SP
Brandon Webb SP
Pedro Martinez SP
Noah Lowry SP
Greg Maddux
Boof Bonser SP
Luke Hochevar SP
Edison Volquez SP
Bran Hennessey SP / RP
Adam Wainwright SP / RP
Jeremy Accardo RP
Matt Capps RP
BJ Ryan RP

I think that is what I would do. I would have liked to have kept a couple more pitchers but their is not much talent at all there. I would make that a drafting priority. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
RendeR
Coordinator

There is no otehr way to talk about baseball because as a legitimate sport these days its pure fantasy.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
There is no otehr way to talk about baseball because as a legitimate sport these days its pure fantasy.

Just because football hasn't had their HGH judgment day yet, doesn't mean you can come in hear and say baseball isn't a legitimate sport...
Old 02-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think that is what I would do. I would have liked to have kept a couple more pitchers but their is not much talent at all there. I would make that a drafting priority. Good luck!

About what I would do.

If steals/middle infielders are thin in your league, maybe swap Lopez for Dye
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 02-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
About what I would do.

If steals/middle infielders are thin in your league, maybe swap Lopez for Dye

Yeah, I'm about with you guys on the choices. I'm still paring it down. This team needs some work. I'd like to trade guys like Helton and Maddux, if I could find someone to take them.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Thankfully my keeper league choices are pretty easy this year. (NL Only keeper, Auction)

Towles C
A. Gonzalez, E. Encarnacion, CI
Matsui, MI
Francouer, Ankiel, Pence, Bay, Taveras, OF
Mulder, Wood, Francis, Hirsh - P

After having a disastrous pitching season last year (I had Carpenter, Duke, Willis on my team.. need I say more.. I ended up with a 4.75 ERA for the season.), I need pitching in a big way but, there is plenty available in the draft with Peavy, Zambrano, Haren & Santana available...

Depending how spring training works out I may keep some of the following - K. Kendrick, Marshall, Scherzer, Cueto, Detwiler, Pearce, Hu. Otherwise, I'll have to reserve up to 3 out of that group (probably Cueto, Scherzer and Pearce although I like Detwiler...)

I don't see any situation beyond injury that would cause me to keep Lannan, Gotay, Snyder or B. Wagner (pricey)
Old 02-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #16
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Just because football hasn't had their HGH judgment day yet, doesn't mean you can come in hear and say baseball isn't a legitimate sport...

My comments had nothing to do with the HGH issue. Every sport has its drug issues. baseball has fallen off the map as far as I'm concerned. The product is stale, its too long, with too many interruptions, too many teams with a very watered down talent pool.

Hockey puts a better product on the ice right now than MLB puts on the field. Basketball, as much as I despise the NBA, is a far more entertaining 2-3 hours of time.

Its not about the headlines, its about the quality of product and right now baseballs product is rotten before it ever gets to market. Are there ways to fix it? probably, but in my opinion its going to take something far more drastic than the owners of MLB will ever allow without the entire league being sacked and starting from scratch.

Its PAST TIME for the mational passtime to get its act together and produce a quality product.

*steps off soap box*

EDIT: This is why I say the only real way to enjoy MLB is through fantasy baseball. To which this thread is dedicated, hence my coming in and commenting. After reading my post I wanted to make sure I at least stated WHY I came into the thread to begin with =)

I love Baseball as a game, I used to sit and play strat-o-matic for hours, hell, days at a time. I earnestly MISS the time when I looked forward to catching the Reds on WTBS or WGN. Nowdays though, no matter the game, I just can't feel enough for the piss poor productions they broadcast to care. The game needs an enema.

Last edited by RendeR : 02-16-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Hockey puts a better product on the ice right now than MLB puts on the field.

Also, Lance Bass is gay.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
The game needs an enema.

Yep, I'm sure those owners are pissed over the all time attendance record and revenue records they set last year .
Old 02-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #19
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
baseball has fallen off the map as far as I'm concerned.

I stopped there. Its your point of view, coming into a thread and going off on how much you don't like a sport is poor form.

People's tastes change. I don't play text sims as much as I used to, I like different foods than I did 10 years ago, things change.

To say baseball is stale when its setting attendence and revenue records is not exactly an discussion you want to get into. You are one person with an opinion. There are millions that feel differently yet you feel that since your opinion trumps everyone else's its ok to hijack a thread with a point you've tried to make in multiple threads now.

You don't like baseball. Everyone here gets it now. Please stay out of the baseball threads and let the people that actually enjoy the game and discussion about it without the bullshit.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #20
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I stopped there. Its your point of view, coming into a thread and going off on how much you don't like a sport is poor form.

People's tastes change. I don't play text sims as much as I used to, I like different foods than I did 10 years ago, things change.

To say baseball is stale when its setting attendence and revenue records is not exactly an discussion you want to get into. You are one person with an opinion. There are millions that feel differently yet you feel that since your opinion trumps everyone else's its ok to hijack a thread with a point you've tried to make in multiple threads now.

You don't like baseball. Everyone here gets it now. Please stay out of the baseball threads and let the people that actually enjoy the game and discussion about it without the bullshit.

This is why I started the NBA hate thread...So RendeR could have a place to share his sage insight. Maybe you should think about making one for baseball.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #21
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
This is why I started the NBA hate thread...So RendeR could have a place to share his sage insight. Maybe you should think about making one for baseball.

I hate basketball too! Especially as long as Kobe is a Laker.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:35 AM   #22
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

SO because my opinion differs from yours, I shouldn't be allowed to post it? Piss on your poor form, I'm sorry you dislike hearing things that you disagree with. its still a semi-free country

My point was based on the fact that you're discussing fantasy baseball, I simply stated in my own way that fantasy baseball is really the only way left to enjoy the game. If you disagree, so be it, but don't pull the "go away because we don't like what you say" bullshit.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:45 AM   #23
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yep, I'm sure those owners are pissed over the all time attendance record and revenue records they set last year .

hrm, same size stadiums, higher population totals in the same areas. Record attendance...coincidence? I think not. Revenue records? Really now, with prices on everything rising the way they do are you really going to claim that as some sort of guage? Soccer teams keep setting revenue records too, does that mean they're putting out a better quality product every season? Maybe, maybe not, you can't prove anything with that beyond the fact that the old addage of a fool and his money are soon parted.

You guys act like I just hate baseball and want to smear its name or something and thats not true at all. I'm simply stating an opinion on how dissapointing it is to be so utterly UN entertained by a game I truely enjoy and have enjoyed for 30 years. Doesn't it say something that there are long term fans of a sport that have such a low opinion of the current product?

If this were basketball, most all your comments (everyone who has responded to me) would probably be right, I simple detest the game and the blatanty thuggery that its players and marketing put forth, but this isn't the case here. I desperately want to see baseball back on the pinacle that it used to hold in this country.

Ahh well, no one wants to hear it so I'll shut up. Enjoy your season of fantasy bseball, at least your teams can be what you want them to be.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:01 AM   #24
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Id love to know why you think baseball is suddenly stale? Its a game in which the rules havent changed much over its entire history. The current "blackeye" with the steroid issue may have some people turn away but the game itself hasnt changed much. I find plenty of enjoyment of baseball without fantasy baseball so Id like to hear more about your opinion on what is so different about it that when you used to watch the braves/reds games? Baseball is such a unique sport in so many ways, if it was changed it could only worsen it IMO.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:06 AM   #25
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
hrm, same size stadiums, higher population totals in the same areas. Record attendance...coincidence? I think not. Revenue records? Really now, with prices on everything rising the way they do are you really going to claim that as some sort of guage? Soccer teams keep setting revenue records too, does that mean they're putting out a better quality product every season? Maybe, maybe not, you can't prove anything with that beyond the fact that the old addage of a fool and his money are soon parted.

You guys act like I just hate baseball and want to smear its name or something and thats not true at all. I'm simply stating an opinion on how dissapointing it is to be so utterly UN entertained by a game I truely enjoy and have enjoyed for 30 years. Doesn't it say something that there are long term fans of a sport that have such a low opinion of the current product?

If this were basketball, most all your comments (everyone who has responded to me) would probably be right, I simple detest the game and the blatanty thuggery that its players and marketing put forth, but this isn't the case here. I desperately want to see baseball back on the pinacle that it used to hold in this country.

Ahh well, no one wants to hear it so I'll shut up. Enjoy your season of fantasy bseball, at least your teams can be what you want them to be.

Your bitterness isn't going get anyone to watch the Snoozely Cup Finals.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #26
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

12 person league
Categories-Avg, RBI, Run, HR, Net SB's, OBS, SO's---W, W%, SV, ERA, WHIP, Quality Starts, K/9

C Jorge Posada
C Josh Bard
1b David Ortiz
2b Yunel Escobar
3b David Wright
SS Ryan Theriot
CI Chipper Jones
MI Mark Ellis
LF Joey Votto
CF Jay Bruce
RF Magglio Ordonez
OF Brad Hawpe
OF Gary Mathews Jr
UT Casey Kotchman
BN Matt Diaz
BN Dave Roberts
BN Randy Winn
BN Justin Upton

SP CC Sabathia
SP Chris Young
SP Fausto Carmona
RP Eric Gagne
RP Kevin Gregg
P Yovani Gallardo
P Ben Sheets
P George Sherrill
P Brandon Lyon
P Randy Johnson
P Franklin Morales

Start 25 players, Bench 4 players

I love my hitting except I think I am lacking in SB's. Getting Ortiz in the 2nd, Ordonez in the 3rd and Chipper in the 5th were steals in my opinion. David Wright was my first round pick(7th overall). I made a post draft trade Cory Hart for Brad Hawpe, Justin Upton and Franklin Morales. I felt the trade offered too much value even though I needed Harts SB's.
Pitching I have a few question marks

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-17-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #27
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Risky pitching staff. Sheets & Johnson are injury time bombs, not sure if Texas Gagne or Boston Gagne will show up and now Gallardo is injured. If Sherrill wins the closer job, I'd try to trade a closer for a starting pitcher since you'd have 4.

Also, too much youth and unknowns in the offensive lineup in Bruce, Votto and Upton. Granted, talented, but I'm not a big believer in stacking that many rookies in the lineup and Diaz.. meh.

Who did you drop in the Hart trade?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #28
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
12 person league
Categories-Avg, RBI, Run, HR, Net SB's, OBS, SO's---W, W%, SV, ERA, WHIP, Quality Starts, K/9

C Jorge Posada
C Josh Bard
1b David Ortiz
2b Yunel Escobar
3b David Wright
SS Ryan Theriot
CI Chipper Jones
MI Mark Ellis
LF Joey Votto
CF Jay Bruce
RF Magglio Ordonez
OF Brad Hawpe
OF Gary Mathews Jr
UT Casey Kotchman
BN Matt Diaz
BN Dave Roberts
BN Randy Winn
BN Justin Upton

SP CC Sabathia
SP Chris Young
SP Fausto Carmona
RP Eric Gagne
RP Kevin Gregg
P Yovani Gallardo
P Ben Sheets
P George Sherrill
P Brandon Lyon
P Randy Johnson
P Franklin Morales

Start 25 players, Bench 4 players

I love my hitting except I think I am lacking in SB's. Getting Ortiz in the 2nd, Ordonez in the 3rd and Chipper in the 5th were steals in my opinion. David Wright was my first round pick(7th overall). I made a post draft trade Cory Hart for Brad Hawpe, Justin Upton and Franklin Morales. I felt the trade offered too much value even though I needed Harts SB's.
Pitching I have a few question marks

Do you live in the state of Ohio?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #29
rowech
Pro Starter

Be prepared to wait a while on Bruce. I don't see Baker letting him play much at first this season and if Freel/Hopper play well, Bruce will spend all season in AAA preparing for a breakout next year.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #30
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Be prepared to wait a while on Bruce. I don't see Baker letting him play much at first this season and if Freel/Hopper play well, Bruce will spend all season in AAA preparing for a breakout next year.

Baker will drive the owners of Votto, Bruce, Encarnacion, Bailey & Cueto to drink. I'm sure Reds fans will get a nice healthy dose of Hatteberg, Wilson and Keppinger..
Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 AM   #31
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Risky pitching staff. Sheets & Johnson are injury time bombs, not sure if Texas Gagne or Boston Gagne will show up and now Gallardo is injured. If Sherrill wins the closer job, I'd try to trade a closer for a starting pitcher since you'd have 4.

Also, too much youth and unknowns in the offensive lineup in Bruce, Votto and Upton. Granted, talented, but I'm not a big believer in stacking that many rookies in the lineup and Diaz.. meh.

Who did you drop in the Hart trade?

I traded Hart for Hawpe, Justin Upton and Frankin Morales

Thanks for the comments. I agree with what you are saying. Its a pretty deep league with 12 teams and 29 players per team. I figured risking a little bit on higher reward players might be worth it over filling out a team of Rocco Baldelli's. I am worried about injuries with my starting pitching again there wasnt much left with 131 pitchers on starting rosters. In my opinion every guy left around the 20th round are about the same so I took guys with the potential for the biggest upside. Diaz is just a bench player, I dont have much of a plan to start him much. I figured with his .300 average he wont hurt me which is more than I can say about a lot of other players, Upton is also just one of the reserve spots. Im trying to get Granderson for one of my closers and Upton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Do you live in the state of Ohio?

No, but I do see a lot of potential in Cincy. I am actually from Minnesota and a twins fan. Ive been a fan of Carmona since Torii Hunter said he was the 5th hardest pitcher in the American League to hit and I felt CC Sabathia in the 4th round was a good value pick.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-18-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #32
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I traded Hart for Hawpe, Justin Upton and Frankin Morales

I'm assuming this trade was post draft so when you do a 3-1 trade and say you traded Hart for those 3 players, really you traded Hart and 2 other players for those 3. (You dropped them so, you gave up their rights just like a trade)
Old 02-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #33
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm assuming this trade was post draft so when you do a 3-1 trade and say you traded Hart for those 3 players, really you traded Hart and 2 other players for those 3. (You dropped them so, you gave up their rights just like a trade)

Correct
Old 02-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #34
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Correct

Riiiiight... soooooooo... who did you drop to complete the trade?

(Starting to feel like Abbott and Costello)
Old 02-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #35
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Nick Lowry and Justin Duchscherer.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #36
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nick Lowry and Justin Duchscherer.

Ugh..

Ya, you did good.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #37
rowech
Pro Starter

Keep your eye on Bruce...already today, Baker's talking about signing Corey Patterson or Kenny Lofton to play center. Bruce won't see the majors until after the all-star break at least.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #38
DanGarion
Coordinator

Ok I play in a keeper league and this is a trade offer that was just made to me.

Receive
J.J. Hardy
Jair Jurrjens

Send
James Loney

I need pitching, and I know the reports on Jurrjens have been pretty good so far. My pitching consists of.

Brandon Webb
Adam Wainwright
Derek Lowe
Greg Maddux
Hiroki Kuroda
Luke Hochevar
Scott Olsen
Pedro Martinez
Chuck James

We start 5 SP and 2 P.

At 1B I already have Hafner and Helton, at 3B I have Wright. We start 1B, 3B, and a CI.

At SS I have Cabrera, along with a MI of Felipe Lopez (they both provide some speed for me).

I'm pretty well set to make this trade even though I really like Loney, especially since he's a Dodger, but I'm trying to keep my team emotions out of the deal.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #39
MikeVic
Head Coach

Let's talk about sex baby. Let's talk about you and me.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #40
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Ok I play in a keeper league and this is a trade offer that was just made to me.

Receive
J.J. Hardy
Jair Jurrjens

Send
James Loney

I need pitching, and I know the reports on Jurrjens have been pretty good so far. My pitching consists of.

Brandon Webb
Adam Wainwright
Derek Lowe
Greg Maddux
Hiroki Kuroda
Luke Hochevar
Scott Olsen
Pedro Martinez
Chuck James

We start 5 SP and 2 P.

At 1B I already have Hafner and Helton, at 3B I have Wright. We start 1B, 3B, and a CI.

At SS I have Cabrera, along with a MI of Felipe Lopez (they both provide some speed for me).

I'm pretty well set to make this trade even though I really like Loney, especially since he's a Dodger, but I'm trying to keep my team emotions out of the deal.

I'm not a fan of Jurrjens, at least not this season. He's pitched all of 7 games above AA and 22 year old pitchers aren't very reliable to begin with. His K rate also isn't good enough for him to have consistent success early on.

Loney and Hardy are just about equals as far as value at their positions go. Loney isn't going to have a season like he did last year and Hardy's not the player he was the first two months of last season. Both are probably at the lower end of the top 10 at their positions.

Personally, I wouldn't make the deal, but with Haffner, Helton, and Wright around I'd try to shop Loney and see if someone buys into his play last year. You should be able to get a much better pitcher than Jurrjens for him.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #41
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Jurrjens, at least not this season. He's pitched all of 7 games above AA and 22 year old pitchers aren't very reliable to begin with. His K rate also isn't good enough for him to have consistent success early on.

Loney and Hardy are just about equals as far as value at their positions go. Loney isn't going to have a season like he did last year and Hardy's not the player he was the first two months of last season. Both are probably at the lower end of the top 10 at their positions.

Personally, I wouldn't make the deal, but with Haffner, Helton, and Wright around I'd try to shop Loney and see if someone buys into his play last year. You should be able to get a much better pitcher than Jurrjens for him.
Yeah I was placing the same value on Jardy and Loney, so I'm right there with you on this. I'm going to start shopping Loney, even though I do think he can really break out, I'd rather get rid of Helton, but no one wants him since it's a keeper league.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #42
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Need someone's 2 cents.

Our 11 team 5x5 NL only keeper league ($260 auction style can keep 15).

We went from 2 C slots to 1 C slot and added a 10th pitcher this offseason

Current team

C- Towles $5
1B - A. Gonz $12
2B - Kaz 'The Fissure' Matsui $5
3B - Encarnacion $10
SS - OPEN
MI - OPEN
CI - OPEN
OF - Pence $22, Ankiel $5, Bay $20, Francouer $10, Taveras $18
U - OPEN
P - Francis $15, Wood $6, Hirsh $2, Mulder $1, Cueto $5

Reserves - Detwiler $5, Pearce $5, Scherzer $5

I'll have $109 to spend about and I'm comfortable with my keepers right now (Looks odd that I'm keeping Hirsh/Mulder because of the injuries, but given the 10 man pitching and some of the absolute crap that goes for $1 in the draft ya.. I'll just stick with them)

I have 1 more that I could keep. 1st # is my price and the 2nd is the range that I expect them to go for in the draft - Kendrick $5 ($3-7) or C. Snyder $1 ($1-$7)

I believe I'm going to keep Snyder BUT, I'd obviously have to keep him in the utility spot. Given that I have Pearce there (who will probably be up by June/July) and 5 OF guys, I am not going to spend alot (any) of money at the utility spot and would be spending any $ on offense at the MI/CI spots and the rest for pitching. I'd hate to put a catcher at the utility spot, but chances are I'm going to have some guy that is a 4th or 5th OFer or backup MI there.

Keep Snyder, Kendrick or none?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #43
watravaler
High School JV

Cuban SS/2B/CF Alexei Ramirez looks pretty damn good as a sleeper. Think poor man's Alfonso Soriano, same build, swing, speed, etc...I guess he is natural SS, and the WhiteSox may platoon him a bit to let him get acclimated at the 2B position, but the guy appears to have the ridiculous bat-speed needed to put up big numbers at the 2B spot...

Not sure why the "experts" at Yahoo haven't added him to database as of yet, as he was signed for $5 million per in December. There really is no excuse for the laziness at that site...

Last edited by watravaler : 03-20-2008 at 03:18 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #44
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
Not sure why the "experts" at Yahoo haven't added him to database as of yet, as he was signed for $5 million per in December. There really is no excuse for the laziness at that site...

Yahoo is a joke for adding players to the database.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #45
samifan24
Pro Starter

Johnny Cuerto is also missing. I believe Yahoo can't add new players until they are officially on the 25-man roster, or something like that.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #46
Capital
High School Varsity

I have the 2nd overall pick in a 5x5 league tomorrow morning. Assuming Arod goes first, who do you take?

I'm leaning Jose Reyes because all of those runs and steals (75+) is too hard to pass up. Although, David Wright and Hanley Ramirez are certainly in the conversation.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #47
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'd take Hanley

- He plays a much thinner position than Wright - whatever 3B you draft later will be much better than the SS you'd get.

- He had a much better 2nd half than Reyes - hell, he had a better May-October than Reyes - and is IMO more skilled.

You can't go wrong with any of those 3, but Hanley would be my choice.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #48
Capital
High School Varsity

What you said is true. I would take Hanley but I'm worried that his SB will probably go down because he may bat 3rd. Plus, that Marlin lineup is pretty weak - especially now that Cabrera is gone. Plus Hanley may be a little more of an injury risk. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Capital : 03-20-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #49
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
What you said is true. I would take Hanley but I'm worried that his SB will probably go down because he may bat 3rd. Plus, that Marlin lineup is pretty weak - especially now that Cabrera is gone. Plus Hanley may be a little more of an injury risk. My 2 cents.

David Wright was the #1 player on my board this season. I think he's the safest player at any position and with the guys he has in his lineup he should match or better last season's numbers. Hanley would be my #2 and is a very good choice, but I don't have anywhere near as much faith in him matching his numbers from last year.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #50
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post

I'm leaning Jose Reyes because all of those runs and steals (75+) is too hard to pass up. Although, David Wright and Hanley Ramirez are certainly in the conversation.

Dola

I like Reyes as a top 5 pick, but I'd take Wright and ARod over him easily. Wright will steal about 40 less bases, but hit 15-20 more homers, drive in 40 or so more runs, have a higher batting average, and match his runs. ARod will will do all of that, but be a bit further behind in steals.

I don't punt on steals, but my strategy is usually to finish middle of the pack in steals by grabbing guys like Wright and Size more that will steal in the 30s and produce in all of the other categories as well.