Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Windoze Vista

I'm thinking about buying a new computer. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1197678953218 specifically is the one I'm looking at (the convenience of being able to go to Best Buy and get it instead of buying direct from Dell is a large part of the consideration). It comes with Vista Ultimate, which I don't want. If I have a copy of XP Pro, is it possible to put XP Pro on it (not dual-boot, basically reformat and install XP Pro)?

Or should I just order a Vostro from dell.com (if I end up going that route)...

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Calis
College Starter

Yeah that wouldn't be a problem.

In fact I'd highly recommend reformatting any pre-built PC you buy before doing anything.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
hoopsguy
General Manager

I would make sure that there are XP drivers available for that system. I don't think that is a sure thing if Dell is not offering the option to pre-order it with XP.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't want Vista so what I did was build a business model at dell.com and you can order it XP instead of Vista. IMO, I trust buying from dell.com and getting it that way instead of reformatting and installing all those drivers if you bought it from best buy and went that route.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
RendeR
Coordinator

its a far more certain thing that you'll be able to find the drivers for XP than it is to expect a Vista machine to work properly for more than a week.

Vista is a terrible OS right now, it shows promise but like any new roll out its gonna take a couple years for them to really stamp out its problems.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

I must be the only person who has had a fairly smooth experience with Vista.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Nah... we just aren't so loud about our lack of problems.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:

Naw, Vista rocks, assuming your machine can handle it.

edit: I had to go out and buy a new DVD drive though, because it wouldn't install with mine (no legacy drivers..gah), and I'm a huge linux fanboy, and I still love Vista.

Last edited by Synovia : 02-12-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

I haven't had any issues with it. I don't care for it all that much and have kept XP on my main machine, but it hasn't caused any real problems.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

The main downside is the machine asking permission to do things all the time. Gets annoying.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I didn't want Vista so what I did was build a business model at dell.com and you can order it XP instead of Vista. IMO, I trust buying from dell.com and getting it that way instead of reformatting and installing all those drivers if you bought it from best buy and went that route.
We buy 300-400 PCs a year where I work and all are new PCs from Dell with XP on them (although, we use an image now). I would highly recommend letting Dell install everything for you over trying to uninstall everything on a store PC. Even if it works as it should, the time you spend messing with it will probably equal the time it takes for Dell to build one (and probably something will still not quite work right).
Old 02-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Naw, Vista rocks, assuming your machine can handle it.

+1
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The main downside is the machine asking permission to do things all the time. Gets annoying.

You can turn it off if you want. I can see why they put it in there (most causes of computer unstability are users opening attachments or programs they shouldn't), but I guess it should have been more of an option (like asking the Administrator account the first time it popped up if they wanted to continue).
Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

VISTA FO LIFE Y'ALL!

*punches chest and does Vista sign*
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #15
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
First thing I did in Vista was turn that off. All in all, I thought I would hate Vista, but it's pretty slick now that I have it set up the way I want it.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Count me as another. Bought my new laptop in November and not a single problem with Vista.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #17
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think it depends what type of software you are running with it. For most home users, they won't have too many complaints if you are using the computer for email, internet, use the Office Suite and run some of the current games. You go outside of that and it can be hit or miss.

At the workplace, it can be a different story. We have one station at work with Vista and while it runs very smoothly, there are still a number of programs that don't run well with Vista (if at all) since a number of companies have moved slowly in making them compatible with the new system.

No hate for Vista here. I just like to wait a few years for everyone else to catch up to minimize headache later on, because I already know a few of my apps at home are not going to work currently with Vista.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #18
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

I've been running Vista for more than a year now. The only major problems I had (laptop taking forever to go in and out of suspend) were fixed months ago. If you use older hardware or software that is not well supported you might run in to some issues.

As for your question, I would actually recommend formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS regardless--Dell is going to have tons of useless crap on there slowing down your system.

Oh, and re: the Vista UAC -- if you can't figure out how to turn it off, you probably shouldn't turn it off.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 02-12-2008 at 05:03 PM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #19
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't had much of a problem with my laptop that has Vista Home Premium. The wife and her Toshiba laptop though, uhg. I wouldn't blame it all on Vista because I have no evidence it is all Vista, but it seems in part the problem combined with Toshiba probably screwing some things up and then McAfee always causing some kind of problem. Hours with tech people has resulted in no fixes, just work arounds.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #20
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I haven't had much of a problem with my laptop that has Vista Home Premium. The wife and her Toshiba laptop though, uhg. I wouldn't blame it all on Vista because I have no evidence it is all Vista, but it seems in part the problem combined with Toshiba probably screwing some things up and then McAfee always causing some kind of problem. Hours with tech people has resulted in no fixes, just work arounds.

What model toshiba does she have? I've got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114309

and have had zero problems.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #21
Galaxy
Coordinator

Check out this lawsuit:

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2008/02/a-l...p-a.html#posts

Terk, just so you know, BB tends to take quite a while from what I hear if you have to take in for repairs.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-12-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD View Post

Oh, and re: the Vista UAC -- if you can't figure out how to turn it off, you probably shouldn't turn it off.

It's not that I can't figure out how to turn it off. When I first got the PC, I decided to leave it on to see what kind of things it would "alert" me to. Then I never bothered to turn it off. Sooooo, ....

tttttttttthhhhhbbppptt!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #23
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the advice, everybody.

Looking at the prices, I think I've decided to get a small biz computer from dell.com and put up with having to "coordinate" the shipping stuff instead of trying to reformat over Vista.

I'm very hesitant on Vista. I've heard they've fixed a lot of the problems they had with iTunes (but not all of them yet) and since I'm addicted to my iPod, and I like the iTunes interface... Also, I heard it tell at work that our VPN software doesn't particularly like Vista. My final reason is that some of the software I'm using (freeware/GPL stuff) apparently doesn't like Vista very much.

Actually, that's what's stopping me from making the switch to a Mac, too, combined with the fact that Windoze Mobile devices don't sync as well with Macs to hear it told on aximsite.com

Either way, a big wipe once I get it (if I decide to get a new computer) is likely in order to strip out the unneeded crap.

/tk
Old 02-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #24
Comey
College Starter

I was never aware there was a conflict between Vista and iTunes. I hook my 80GB iPod and my iPod shuffle up all the time...never once had a problem.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #25
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I've never had a problem with Vista and iTunes before either...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #26
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
I was never aware there was a conflict between Vista and iTunes. I hook my 80GB iPod and my iPod shuffle up all the time...never once had a problem.

If iTunes had been the only "holdback" I'd have considered it. But all said and done, there were too many issues.

/tk
Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to travel back in time and destroy all Vista documents I can find!

We shall NEVER leave the age of Windows XP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #28
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'm going to travel back in time and destroy all Vista documents I can find!

We shall NEVER leave the age of Windows XP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please take care of SkyNet while you're at it. Thanks from Sarah Connor.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #29
Daimyo
College Starter

iTunes had issues with Vista at launch, but those have been fixed for about a year now.

I run Vista on three machines (work desktop, work tablet, home computer) and don't have any issues. The home computer took some time to setup though because its a complex hardware setup and driver support was scarce pre-launch. Hard to imagine issues with computers sold today with Vista pre-installed! (other than legacy software)
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #30
Comey
College Starter

Were your issues with Vista on a machine that was upgraded to Vista? I've heard that Vista is much better on machines that have it pre-installed.

-John

Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Were your issues with Vista on a machine that was upgraded to Vista? I've heard that Vista is much better on machines that have it pre-installed.

-John

Do you give us permission to post this? (yes/no)
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #32
RendeR
Coordinator

TK, if you really want a mac get one, but have it setup to duel boot into XP as well as MAC-OS, you can hot swap between them and do everything you want to do using both systems on one laptop.

I'm no mac guy but a recent showing of the new MACs really impressed me.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #33
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:

Theres not. Sometimes people like to blame their problems on the computer instead of admitting their lack of technical skill.

EDIT: FWIW, after running Vista for 6 months or so, you couldn't pay me to put XP back on anything.

Last edited by Synovia : 02-13-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #34
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

This place drives me nuts sometimes. I announce that I've made a decision, thank everybody for their input, and yet I still feel as if I'm almost being attacked for making my decision. At the end of the day, it's my money. I've decided I want to spend it on Winblows XP and not Vista, and not get a Mac. Yet still people feel a need to tell me that my assertation that iTunes might be wonky with it is incorrect, or even worse, just people being stupid (which might be the case) and trying to convince me that Vista is a far superior operating system. I know I'm not being attacked here, but it almost feels like it.

I've made my decision. Yes, iTunes potential wonkiness (which I've never experienced first hand, nor do I know anybody personally with Vista who uses it, I'm basing it SOLELY on Apple's support forums and cursory reading at that) is something in my mind, but I'm sure that it's not a show-stopper. Yes, Vista may be great, but I don't like the feel of it, when I've used it on my friend's computer (which I didn't feel enough of a reason to even mention before), I prefer XP. My company doesn't have any support for the VPN with Vista, which was definitely a consideration. And there is software out there that I use that hasn't really been vetted with Vista, and while there are other options, I've decided to stay with what I know and like, that being XP. One day I'll be forced to upgrade, or I'll switch to a Mac, but right now, I know what I want, and seriously, can't some of your computer weenies just give it a break?

It isn't rocket science. I've built my own tower systems before from parts accumulated at HAMfests and the like, and if I really run into a "problem" my dad and my brother are fantastic resources if I can't figure it out on my own (i.e. I'd never do something like Geek Squad or ask Best Buy for help).

I really do appreciate the input, but this thread has started to go out of control a little and started to almost feel like "well, if you don't like Vista, you must be too stupid" or something like that.

Ok, all that's off my chest. And if I do end up buying a new laptop, it'll still likely have XP on it.

/tk
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #35
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I've decided I want to spend it on Winblows XP and not Vista, and not get a Mac. Yet still people feel a need to tell me that my assertation that iTunes might be wonky with it is incorrect, or even worse, just people being stupid (which might be the case) and trying to convince me that Vista is a far superior operating system. I know I'm not being attacked here, but it almost feels like it.
/tk

No one is telling you should get Vista. They're telling you to stop repeating that iTunes is wonky in vista, because its completely incorrect. It works perfectly
Old 02-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #36
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
This place drives me nuts sometimes. I announce that I've made a decision, thank everybody for their input, and yet I still feel as if I'm almost being attacked for making my decision. At the end of the day, it's my money. I've decided I want to spend it on Winblows XP and not Vista, and not get a Mac. Yet still people feel a need to tell me that my assertation that iTunes might be wonky with it is incorrect, or even worse, just people being stupid (which might be the case) and trying to convince me that Vista is a far superior operating system. I know I'm not being attacked here, but it almost feels like it.

I've made my decision. Yes, iTunes potential wonkiness (which I've never experienced first hand, nor do I know anybody personally with Vista who uses it, I'm basing it SOLELY on Apple's support forums and cursory reading at that) is something in my mind, but I'm sure that it's not a show-stopper. Yes, Vista may be great, but I don't like the feel of it, when I've used it on my friend's computer (which I didn't feel enough of a reason to even mention before), I prefer XP. My company doesn't have any support for the VPN with Vista, which was definitely a consideration. And there is software out there that I use that hasn't really been vetted with Vista, and while there are other options, I've decided to stay with what I know and like, that being XP. One day I'll be forced to upgrade, or I'll switch to a Mac, but right now, I know what I want, and seriously, can't some of your computer weenies just give it a break?

It isn't rocket science. I've built my own tower systems before from parts accumulated at HAMfests and the like, and if I really run into a "problem" my dad and my brother are fantastic resources if I can't figure it out on my own (i.e. I'd never do something like Geek Squad or ask Best Buy for help).

I really do appreciate the input, but this thread has started to go out of control a little and started to almost feel like "well, if you don't like Vista, you must be too stupid" or something like that.

Ok, all that's off my chest. And if I do end up buying a new laptop, it'll still likely have XP on it.

/tk

Well if you don't like Vista you are stupid!...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #37
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
No one is telling you should get Vista. They're telling you to stop repeating that iTunes is wonky in vista, because its completely incorrect. It works perfectly

And if you BOTHERED to read what I said, I said that it was ONLY based on "what I'd heard" and that it wasn't the only reaosn. I said it was a factor. And somebody pointed out that they weren't having issues. Fine. Take it up with someone who gives a damn. I think I'm putting you on ignore, you seem to have a small member.

/tk
Old 02-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #38
Calis
College Starter

Quote:

/tk

I think it's the right choice. I use Vista at work on all of our machines, and at home I use XP and work has taught me that there is no reason to change yet. I have ran into a lot of issues with compatibility issues and such at work, but I'm not blaming solely Vista because we run some pretty frigging old software. I just don't see the benefit though.

If you bought something with Vista on it, fine..keep Vista, but I don't see a need to specifically upgrade yet. The benefits just aren't there.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #39
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Perhaps you should have chose a different title. Some silly people might take a post titled "Windoze Vista" to be inviting discussion about Windows Vista.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 02-13-2008 at 01:30 PM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #40
Comey
College Starter

I apologize if you took my posts out of context. I certainly intended no malice...only stating what I've heard with Vista (that it's better when on a pre-installed machine). I don't care what you use.

As far as the rest of the conversation...I think it was expected. Every conversation I've read on the net about Vista has turned into a conversation very much like this thread. I didn't bat an eye at it.

For the record, I have no real opinion one way or another on Vista. I like it, mainly because of WMC (I had WMC 2005, but Vista Media Center is better to me). Other than that, it works like I expect it would.

I am kind of intrigued that XP may be faster still, and have given thought to downgrading just to see it. In the end, it's just not worth all that time to me, I don't think.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #41
Comey
College Starter

I apologize if you took my posts out of context. I certainly intended no malice...only stating what I've heard with Vista (that it's better when on a pre-installed machine). I don't care what you use.

As far as the rest of the conversation...I think it was expected. Every conversation I've read on the net about Vista has turned into a conversation very much like this thread. I didn't bat an eye at it.

For the record, I have no real opinion one way or another on Vista. I like it, mainly because of WMC (I had WMC 2005, but Vista Media Center is better to me). Other than that, it works like I expect it would.

I am kind of intrigued that XP may be faster still, and have given thought to downgrading just to see it. In the end, it's just not worth all that time to me, I don't think.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #42
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
And if you BOTHERED to read what I said, I said that it was ONLY based on "what I'd heard" and that it wasn't the only reaosn. I said it was a factor. And somebody pointed out that they weren't having issues. Fine. Take it up with someone who gives a damn. I think I'm putting you on ignore, you seem to have a small member.

/tk

I've heard that the earth is flat. I don't go around pushing that.

Look, you said something incorrect. We corrected you. You keep insisting that there are problems between Vista and iTunes when those problems were fixed A YEAR AGO.

You're pushing FUD. Its not helpful.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #43
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:

Vista is strange like that... if you don't have the hardware necessary, its really slow, but it does a MUCH better job taking advantage of fast hardware than XP does.

So yeah, if its not a brand new machine with 2g+ of ram, and some sort of nice dual core chip, stay the hell away from Vista.

Also, stay the hell away from McAfee and Norton (and Nero, for that matter). They seem to have totally ignored the fact that Vista isn't XP, and their code will literally bring a system to its knees because its so poorly written.