Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Calis
College Starter

Sins of a Solar Empire(PC Game)

Anyone playing this game?

hxxp://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/

It's an RTS, but not in a different vein, I've heard it described as MOO2 in real time, or a Kohan in space..both pretty high praise. It's supposed to have a much heavier focus on empire building, technology, and economy than say a Warcraft game. It's getting a lot of buzz and sounds like it's a pretty good game. I just bought the download version and it's in the middle of downloading right now. I was curious if anyone else has already fired it up though and if they had any thoughts.

Guess I'll read up some more on it while it downloads. I really know very little about it.

Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Atocep
Coordinator

I have several friends playing it right now, although I haven't gotten around to it yet.

They love it and the way they describe the game is as a RTS version of Galactic Civ, which means I'll certainly be picking it up soon. The multiplayer aspect is also top notch they've said.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I'll probably pick this up once it gets a little cheaper. Looks really sweet.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
hukarez
College Starter

Only saw 2 copies left at a local Best Buy, and it was pretty much sold out everywhere else that I normally hit up.

This game's pretty sweet, and I'm glad that my laptop can run this!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
Galaril
Pro Starter

Great game. I tried Sword of the Stars and it's expansion and it didn't stay on my hard drive but this one has gotten me playing solo games against the AI like no game since Age of Empires 2!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

Hm, are people still into this? I'm looking for a new game and debating between this and Medieval II + the Kingdoms expansion.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:46 AM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

if I can remember how the hell to submit a review request to Matrix, I may see about getting this one covered. I was a big GalCiv II fan, but I'm getting the sense that SoaSE is great, but maybe not really suited for me.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:52 AM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Hm, are people still into this? I'm looking for a new game and debating between this and Medieval II + the Kingdoms expansion.

Medieval Total War II + Expansion isn't the most challenging game I've ever played, but is loads of fun. And thanks to XBox360 and PS3 dominance of the gaming market, it's also the only game I'm playing right now where the main graphical selling point isn't TT Arial 8-pitch font. Just not a lot of offerings out there for us PC Gamers right now (that or I'm getting old). *shurg*

Last edited by Dutch : 02-23-2008 at 02:52 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #9
Horizon
n00b

Quick question. Is this a massive multiplayer or a 4-12 person multiplayer?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:42 AM   #10
Eilim
High School Varsity

Standard RTS-type multiplayer, not sure the max players though. But the best part is you can save multiplayer sessions. Which means if you find some like minded individuals you can setup some long ass games.

Me and some friends who like to focus more on the strategy end of the spectrum have a huge game going that we play a couple hours a weekend, throw in my teamspeak server and its a blast.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Medieval Total War II + Expansion isn't the most challenging game I've ever played, but is loads of fun. And thanks to XBox360 and PS3 dominance of the gaming market, it's also the only game I'm playing right now where the main graphical selling point isn't TT Arial 8-pitch font. Just not a lot of offerings out there for us PC Gamers right now (that or I'm getting old). *shurg*

I highly recommend this one. I bought it just for kicks and it has REALLY surprised me. The ai is really good not nearly GC 2 good but close. The developers are actively improving the game with the help of Brad the developer of Galactic Civ so the AI will only gt better. If anyone liked Homeworld Cataclysm or Independence Wars definitley check this out! YMMV

Last edited by Galaril : 02-24-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Radii
Head Coach

yeah so I have no patience at all and decided to go to wal mart at 1am last night and buy whichever one was in stock. Both were in stock, both were under $40, so I picked them both up. After playing through the tutorials though, Medieval II has my early attention.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

picked this up yesterday. installed it last night and poked at it, but didn't really get into anything yet so to speak. looks really nice though, even on my laptop
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I played around with it a bit, but the lack of a campaign was a hurdle for me. Have they done anything on that front?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #15
Ramzavail
College Starter

I might wait for a gogamer sale, but this game has garnered my interest again. Reviews just look really good plus I think I heard they are releasing additional downloadable content?

Last edited by Ramzavail : 05-27-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

never really got too deep into this game, but still want to give it a chance
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #17
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
I might wait for a gogamer sale, but this game has garnered my interest again. Reviews just look really good plus I think I heard they are releasing additional downloadable content?

Yeah there are a few mini expansion that you do have to pay for like $10 each I think but all well worth it. You might be able to find som kind of gold version that has evrything in one cd eventually.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #18
Galaril
Pro Starter

I found this info on the Expansion packs:

Ironclad will be making three micro-expansions, all three of which will eventually be available on Ironclad's website and Stardock's digital service Impulse. Once all three micro-expansions have been released, Stardock has stated that they will be releasing a final retail version with all three micro-expansions in one.