Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2003, 10:44 AM   #1
Easy Mac

uninformed/misinformed americans?

I pulled this from CNN today (http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...ink/index.html):

Quote:
In a February CNN-Time poll, 76 percent of those surveyed felt Saddam provides assistance to al Qaeda. Another poll released in February asked, "Was Saddam Hussein personally involved in the September 11 attacks?" Although it is a claim the Bush administration has never made and for which there is no evidence, 72 percent said it was either very or somewhat likely.

I blame the media for this result, and frankly it kind of pisses me off. I mean, maybe people really just don't stay up on events or don't pay attention, but I think its the sensationalism of the media that causes people to be misinformed. I mean, 72% think its likely Iraq was behind 9/11? WTF! I just think people are too dumb to understand that not all Arabs are the same, and they hear Osama, Osama and think its the same as Saddam, Saddam (as the article says). To a lesser extent I blame the government only b/c of the rhetoric they use, that makes it seem as though they are one in the same. But even then they would still say it is very unlikely there is a connection in those events.

How about we make the media a human shield in Iraq, I have no problem sending O'Reilly and Donahue over there.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:45 AM   #2
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Donahue is looking for some work now.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:46 AM   #3
Easy Mac

I know, but he was just a talking idiot on his return, it was painful to watch.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:52 AM   #4
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I blame Oprah.

for everything
Old 03-11-2003, 10:52 AM   #5
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I think a big problem is that Americans, for the most part, usually couldn't give a shit about what is happening elsewhere in the world unless it directly affects them, and if they do pay attention to it, they usually don't tend to think rationally about it. A lot of Americans have their heads in the sand when it comes to international affairs, which is a problem in this day and age.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:58 AM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Define "personally involved." I would define it pretty damned liberally (pun intended), and thus would also agree with that statement. It doesn't necessarily mean, at least from my reading of that question, that one would have to believe that he was involved in the funding or planning, for him to have been "personally involved."

I mean, look at the new anti-drug commercials. If buying a bag of dope in NY City leads, in some way or another, to a 2 year old's death in Chicago, why can't Saddam's actions and beliefs, as he espouses them to "his people," have had some effect, however tangential, on 9/11?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-11-2003 at 10:59 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:01 AM   #7
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Right on, ice4277. My sentiments exactly.

I challenge all Americans to try living in a foriegn country at least once in their lifetime. It's a real eye opener and gives you a world perspective you just can't get otherwise. And no, I'm not talking about some 2 week vacation to Europe -- I mean relocate long-term.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:09 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by dacman
Right on, ice4277. My sentiments exactly.

I challenge all Americans to try living in a foriegn country at least once in their lifetime. It's a real eye opener and gives you a world perspective you just can't get otherwise. And no, I'm not talking about some 2 week vacation to Europe -- I mean relocate long-term.

And miss out on everything that my country has to offer? No way!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:15 AM   #9
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
I think a big problem is that Americans, for the most part, usually couldn't give a shit about what is happening elsewhere in the world unless it directly affects them, and if they do pay attention to it, they usually don't tend to think rationally about it. A lot of Americans have their heads in the sand when it comes to international affairs, which is a problem in this day and age.

Substitute "people" for "Americans".
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:19 AM   #10
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:38 AM   #11
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular

I would tend to disagree with this statement. In my experiance (10 years living overseas in Korea and Malaysia) non-americans care far more about interantional affairs than do Americans from similar economic back ground (those living in poverty don't care, they just care about geting food in thier family's mouth).

I also agree that everyone should experiance living overseas. It will open your eyes.

Last edited by stkelly52 : 03-11-2003 at 11:38 AM.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:45 AM   #12
heybrad
Norm!!!

I lived in Grenada for a year. Overall, it was a great experience.

That said, I will never forget having rocks thrown at me numerous occasions, people telling me, "White boy, go home!" a number of times and having people call immigration on me and my wife numerous times (even my own co-workers who knew I was legally employed).

Americans do not have the market cornered on stupidity or racism.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:51 AM   #13
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by stkelly52
I would tend to disagree with this statement. In my experiance (10 years living overseas in Korea and Malaysia) non-americans care far more about interantional affairs than do Americans from similar economic back ground (those living in poverty don't care, they just care about geting food in thier family's mouth).

I also agree that everyone should experiance living overseas. It will open your eyes.

I've seen similar statements many times. I've lived overseas and have family and friends spread out across the globe, and I think this is overblown quite a bit. You do make one interesting point about the economic background. You might be right there, but I think there is valid reason for that difference. The economic stability of the middle and upper classes of other countries depends much more on international affairs than in the US. Everyplace I've been most people are only interested in how things affect them. The difference is what the US does has a much greater affect on the citizens of other countries than the other way around. It still amounts to the same thing though, most people are only concerned about things that affect them.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote