Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
lungs
Pro Rookie

PING: Phoenix area residents and Cactus League Vacationers

So I'm looking to plan a trip to the Milwaukee Brewers spring training in March and wondered if anybody who has been to spring training or Phoenix area folks could give me some ideas.

Everything I've heard is that the area the Brewers play in (they play at the Maryvale Sports Complex) is not where you'd ideally stay as there really isn't much else there and if Phoenix has a rougher part of town, that area is it.

Basically I'm looking for an area that I could stay that has a decent hotel (nothing too fancy) and a few places nearby to go out and have a couple at night.

Also if anybody knows any hotels or places that have shuttles to the different parks, that'd be great.

Any ideas of any kind are appreciated. I haven't been to the Phoenix area since I was a tadpole.

Thanks in advance!

lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Lorena
Unregistered

Anything south of Dunlap is a bad area, from what I remember. When my mother-in-law used to visit us, she'd stay at Homestead Hotel on Dunlap. I did a google maps and it's about 9 miles away from the complex.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I went to spring training a few years ago for about a week and actually stayed at a Hampton's Inn two blocks south of Maryvale Stadium. True, it wasn't the nicest area but we were busy all day and really only were at the hotel to sleep. And, when we did go out for a dinner or a beer we didn't mind driving a little ways because the guy I was with didn't drink much so there was no need to worry about cabbin' it at any point. But, if you are by yourself or just don't want to worry about driving, I'd definitely recommend staying somewhere in Scottsdale...if money is no object. You will definitely be as far away as you can get from Maryvale but you'll find more to do in Scottsdale and it is probably one of the safer areas of town...from what I saw in my limited time there at least.

I'm an A's fan, so we spent more time at Papago Park and I really recommend trying to see a game there, but Maryvale wasn't a bad spot at all.

Also, if you are a golfer, let me know as I played about 10 rounds while I was there and definitely have some tips on where to play and how to book...if you are concerned about budget, that is.

I'm very jealous...I'd love to go back...I think I'll have to look for a conference or something in the area because that is the only way I'll ever get back!!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

I'm not sure if you're into the college party scene, but Mill Avenue in Tempe is a pretty good area to stay. It's pretty central to all the different parks, and has a bunch of things to do at night.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Keep in mind that it's not that difficult to drive around to wherever Milwaukee is playing - except for Tucson, which is still easy to get to, albeit a ways away.
Toddzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Keep in mind that it's not that difficult to drive around to wherever Milwaukee is playing - except for Tucson, which is still easy to get to, albeit a ways away.

Yeah, I took a look at a map yesterday on the Cactus League site. Doesn't look too bad. I'm going to schedule around any Brewer games in Tuscon probably, or if I can't I could always go check some other teams play. Could always go to some Cubs games with a Voodoo doll

What are the different areas like in terms of nightlife? I saw and have heard that Tempe would be the college scene and that one is pretty obvious. What are other areas like?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Scottsdale is also a big party area. A ton of nice bars and a little more variety than Tempe (mostly college). It's more expensive, though, but you could look at some of the places in North or western Scottsdale to get access to the spring training.

Whatever you do, don't come out this week. I'm going to the golf open on Thursday and it will be a zoo. Between the FBR Open and the Super Bowl, traffic is a mess.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
path12
Coordinator

I stayed in Scottsdale last time I was at spring training for the Mariners. It was quite a drive to their stadium in Peoria, but had plenty to do there (though as mentioned it's more expensive than other areas).
Old 01-30-2008, 01:03 AM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

The new Westgate center (Where the Cardinals play) is pretty much complete and they have a couple of Hotels on site, (one pricey, one so-so). The center has a Movie Theater, a bunch of restaurants (The Yardhouse is awesome), shops and lots of things going on over the weekend (live music, cars shows, etc) It is just off the 101 and you can get to the Brewers field in 15-20 minutes either via surface streets or freeway in mid day. There are also some cheaper places in this general neck of the woods down by the I-10/101 junction that will get you out of the "Vale". The nice thing about staying in this area is that road games against the Mariners and Padres (Peoria) or the Royals and Rangers (Surprise) are pretty close as well. 20 minutes or less to Peoria sports complex and about 20-25 minutes to Surprise Stadium. I live in Surprise and the complex there is really nice as Spring training facilities go.

Here is a link to the Westgate center
http://www.westgateaz.com/
BYU 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #10
digamma
Torchbearer

We stayed at the Angels complex last year. I think the hotel is a Marriott. Pretty good place to stay and neat to get up and walk down to their complex.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'm flying out tomorrow morning.

I was a little dismayed to see some possible rain in the forecast Sunday and Monday. It's not supposed to rain in Phoenix, is it?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I'm flying out tomorrow morning.

I was a little dismayed to see some possible rain in the forecast Sunday and Monday. It's not supposed to rain in Phoenix, is it?

It probably won't, where you staying at?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
It probably won't, where you staying at?

I sure as hell hope not. Even if it is around 60 degrees, it sure as hell beats Wisconsin. As long as the baseball isn't interfered with.

I'll be at the Days Inn off I-10, near 51st.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I sure as hell hope not. Even if it is around 60 degrees, it sure as hell beats Wisconsin. As long as the baseball isn't interfered with.

I'll be at the Days Inn off I-10, near 51st.

Look at you staying right in the hood... That Motel actually gets a lot of spring training guests, just make sure if you go out at night it is not in that area That is close enough to some nice areas downtown and some of the better place on the west side (15-20 min either way)

It has been real nice here this week, should definitely stay in the high 70's for you during the day.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #15
lungs
Pro Rookie

Bumptity bump.... Going out there again March 10-15.... staying in Tempe this time.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We managed to snag a cabin at the bottom of the Grand Canyon for one of the days in late February next year so we'll spend two days there- one down and one up. One of the other things we're hoping to do is catch some Spring Training games.

Any thoughts on better or worse teams/experiences around Spring Training? We'll be seeing the Royals at least once but other than that, I'm pretty open.

We'll probably make the rest of our reservations in November when the schedules come out but any help on good hotels, good eats, and other "local" sites to not miss (we're thinking Petrified Forest/Painted Desert and open to other ideas as we'll have about a week there) would be greatly appreciated.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
BYU 14
Coordinator

Surprise stadium where the Royals/Rangers play is one of the best in Arizona IMO. I live in Surprise and it is easily my favorite stadium. They have 2 Hotels on the premises now as well, very convenient. Parking is plentiful and you are in and out fairly quickly, plus a game every day with two teams there.

You have the Dodgers and White Sox sharing Camelback ranch only about 8 miles from Surprise stadium and pretty nice as well. Parking can be a pain in the ass here though. Since two teams share a game every day as above.

Mariners and Padres about 10 miles away at Arrowhead, lots of food places there, but as it is basically part of an entertainment area, parking can suck there as well.

Any teams not mentioned you may want to see? Let me know and I will get you info on them.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think I'd like to see the Cubs at HoHoKam but I thought I saw that they were about to renovate the stadium. Any idea if that's going to disrupt things?

How are the onsite hotels for price versus other hotels in the area? Is it worth it to stay at the site hotels? Do you get added perks (like seeing players walking around the hotel, free parking, etc) for the premium you're paying?

Is the distance really a big deal? I mean, 30 minutes to maybe an hour tops, right? Living in Houston, I'll just shrug off that sort of time and distance to see the games and teams I want to see.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-03-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

Hohokam is pretty much opposite side of the Valley from Surprise and a good 60 minutes from here. Also Cubs tickets hard to get, so order early as they go quick. Park is nothing special, but it does have the Cubbies They are renovating it, but it should be done by spring training, no issues.

The Hotels on site at Surprise go quick and not likely to see players.

I would go with something like the Days Inn, about 3 miles east of the Stadium.

12477 W Bell Road, Surprise, AZ, 85374 United States ‎1-855-238-1590‎
Old 09-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Toddiec
Mascot

My parents are going on their 6th year of living the RV life and they spend January through Opening Day at a RV/Park Model Resort in Surprise about ten minutes from the stadium. I would be happy to get their suggestions. I will warn you that they are in the above 60 age demographic so they know fascinating tidbits like:
  • Best Place to Get Senior/Veteran Discounts for Lunch
  • My Dad's Current Pick For Best Cheap Chicken Wings in Surprise
  • The Local Enemy RV/Park Model Resorts That Have The Best Horseshoe Teams

They will not be able to help much on the Club scene or really any nightlife at all unless you are looking for a good place to lounge in a lawn chair, throw back some Corona's and listen to Jimmy Buffett on the satellite radio.

So if you would like me to throw some questions at them all you have to do is ask. But you have been warned.

Todd
Toddiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddiec View Post
My parents are going on their 6th year of living the RV life and they spend January through Opening Day at a RV/Park Model Resort in Surprise about ten minutes from the stadium. I would be happy to get their suggestions. I will warn you that they are in the above 60 age demographic so they know fascinating tidbits like:
  • Best Place to Get Senior/Veteran Discounts for Lunch
  • My Dad's Current Pick For Best Cheap Chicken Wings in Surprise
  • The Local Enemy RV/Park Model Resorts That Have The Best Horseshoe Teams
They will not be able to help much on the Club scene or really any nightlife at all unless you are looking for a good place to lounge in a lawn chair, throw back some Corona's and listen to Jimmy Buffett on the satellite radio.

So if you would like me to throw some questions at them all you have to do is ask. But you have been warned.

Todd

We're pretty boring ourselves. Our idea of doing things at night is... going to baseball games. The whole day games thing will throw off our tourism rhythm as we'll either have to wake up in the morning (yay earlier time zone!) or actually try to do things at night (we welcome any suggestions).

Also, we'll be looking for nature items within a couple of hours drive that are, well, worth the couple of hours drive (maybe Saugaro National Park, Sunset Crater, Wupatki, etc). Phoenix looks kindof sparse for tourist destinations so I'm curious any thoughts on things to do that aren't baseball.

Good food and good food bargains (tho senior discount does not apply) are always welcome!

As an aside: as he is retired, I may never be able to fulfill my longtime Spring Training fantasy of having Joel Zumaya sign a Guitar Hero guitar. I figured it was the only place laid back enough to have a shot at that

SI

Old 09-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hohokam is pretty much opposite side of the Valley from Surprise and a good 60 minutes from here. Also Cubs tickets hard to get, so order early as they go quick. Park is nothing special, but it does have the Cubbies They are renovating it, but it should be done by spring training, no issues.

The Hotels on site at Surprise go quick and not likely to see players.

I would go with something like the Days Inn, about 3 miles east of the Stadium.

12477 W Bell Road, Surprise, AZ, 85374 United States ‎1-855-238-1590‎

Thanks for the hotel rec. I think we're going to wait until November to get our plans more firmed up, but I suspect things will go quickly then. That said, I'm on ticketing lists for quite a few teams so I'll get the emails with some advance warning. I'm a tad concerned that we might be a week too early for Spring Training, so I want to leave a little flexibility in play if we have to scramble.

The cost and meeting a minimum standard of cleanliness and comfort seem like they would trump location to us as we will be going to 3 or 4 games tops and exploring the other areas around, too.

SI

Old 09-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just PM me around November and I will get you several Hotel options and also give some stuff to do within a couple hours drive of Surprise. (Sedona is nice for a getaway, jeep tours, horseback riding and a robust community of artists)

Can give you some good places to eat within 20 minutes as well.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sounds good!

SI

Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #25
Toddiec
Mascot

BYU 14 is going to be a much better source of info on the ins and outs of that area but I will throw in what information I can.

My parents are part of the weekly hiking club so they zip around to trails all around the Phoenix area. They also do a yearly trip down the south rim of the Grand Canyon to a place called Phantom Ranch. Your timing couldn't be better because they are coming to visit tomorrow for the weekend so I will get some recommendations and tips and PM you.
Toddiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #26
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, we have a cabin down at Phantom Ranch for one night for our hike in-hike out.

SI

Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #27
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Surprise stadium where the Royals/Rangers play is one of the best in Arizona IMO. I live in Surprise and it is easily my favorite stadium. They have 2 Hotels on the premises now as well, very convenient. Parking is plentiful and you are in and out fairly quickly, plus a game every day with two teams there.

I wish I bothered to start reading the second sentence before I spent a good minute trying to figure out what the hell you meant with the first sentence.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #28
lungs
Pro Rookie

No reason to go to the Brewers facility in Maryvale unless you are a Brewer fan. Some describe it as a slum but my impression was a working class neighborhood with not much to do.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #29
finketr
College Prospect

botanical gardens are nice.. there's a native american museum near downtown..
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #30
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

CORNISH PASTY

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #31
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I wish I bothered to start reading the second sentence before I spent a good minute trying to figure out what the hell you meant with the first sentence.

Quote:
No reason to go to the Brewers facility in Maryvale unless you are a Brewer fan. Some describe it as a slum but my impression was a working class neighborhood with not much to do.

Definitely not the best of areas, but it is OK in the daytime and the facility is not that bad for as old as it is. Need to be careful roaming around after dark in some areas around it though.