Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Moment of Truth

Anybody else watch it tonight? I loved it! It's like an evil psychological experiment! They should call it "Ruin your Marriage and Friendships for Dollars"

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aww damn I missed it. Was it abc? nbc? cbs? i'll catch the webisode
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Crazy ass show, obviously FOX.

Well, with a writers strike, the lines are getting blurry.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I thought it was interesting, but as with all shows like this, the "suspense" time is too long...takes too long to get an answer from whatever idiot has strapped himself to the lie detector, and then it takes too long to get the verdict from the mystery voice on whether they are lying or not.

Also, some of the questions are vague...using the word "most" and such, leaves it open to A LOT of interpretation and could impact the answers. But definitely an addicting show...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I watched this while trying to fix my laptop tonight. I think it has alot of potential, but I agree with oliegirl that the suspense at times was crazy.. It felt to me like it was 50-55minutes of so-so programming and then a good 5 minutes of really great questions and reactions that you tune in for.

I'll tune in to watch again though.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but that psychology has become a part of our shows since what, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
Raiders Army
Coordinator

It's a great show, IMHO. If you don't like commercials, that's what DVRs are for.

Anyhow, we were talking last night, and the only way to build real suspense is to have the contestant take the lie detector test and then keep them separate from their family. Otherwise, they'd spill the beans to their loved ones and prep them. For example, "Have you ever padded your underwear to look larger?" The dude could explain why and at least save himself from the embarassment from his family and friends.

The other thing was that there is no way these people could be arrested for answering questions. The one that jumped out at me (and wasn't asked last night, BTW) was "Have you ever smuggled goods into the U.S.?" If the guy answers yes, there's no way he could be arrested. First, he was never read his Miranda Rights. Second, he would have to be arrested for a specific crime. What did he smuggle? I would guess this would be true for other more serious questions like "Have you ever murdered someone?" They would have to arrest him for a specific murder.

However, I would say that some answers you give could get you fired at work. All in all, a pretty good show.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I watched the first guy and part of the second guy and didn't get anything out of the show. As many times as his wife looked pissed or shocked at his answers, it seemed that she was still most interested in just getting the money. The way his last question was phrased ("As a personal trainer, have you ever touched a female client more than was necessary?"), he could've failed no matter what. I mean, I don't know how lie detectors really work, but that question could be so vague that he'd be really nervous whether he said yes or no. While he might think he hadn't touched someone more than necessary, he might feel nervous about answering that way because other people might think that it was more than necessary. Whose standard is he answering to? His own? His wife's? The general public? All these things could go through his mind and affect the way the polygraph reads him.

While I don't have any kind of moral objection to this show, it's clearly set up to get people to embarrass themselves and then ask questions in a way that prevents them from winning the big bucks. I mean, yeah, we get to watch these people squirm when they get asked questions, but if those first two contestants are any indication of who we'll see on the show, screw 'em. They seemed like such smarmy assholes that I thought it would be funny for them to lose.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
Critch
lolzcat

First show was ok, but it's got the look of a show that will get old fast.

I'll be tuning in to see how the guy answers his kid's "did you gamble away my college fund?" question. He's just enough of a tool to hope that he wrecks his life and family for a few dollars.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We watched it. Here's what I don't get - what's the incentive for being on this show? The embarrassment/damage-to-winnings ratio is way too high for this to be worth it. The second guy, in order to win $10K, admitted to going through co-workers personal belongings and to having a gambling problem - and he works at a race track!

Meanwhile, turn over to Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader, and someone just won $10K for knowing the square root of 4.

Even if the money is compelling, which I don't think it is in comparison to the questions you have to answer, one wrong answer - based on a lie detector, which really has very little to do with the actual truth - and you walk away with NOTHING. At least on other shows, you hit plateaus where you can't go home with any less than X amount.

I just don't get it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-24-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I agree with Ksyrup. You'd need to offer a HELL of a lot more money to entice me to be on the show (and even then I probably would not want to).
Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
wade moore
lolzcat

I had the same feeling as KSyrup and it's much of why I didn't even consider watching the show.

I just don't see anything redeeming about the concept of this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It's a funny show with a short shelf life. How many questions are they going to be able to come up with that remain interesting. For now I love George though.

"Have you ever imaginged rolling around in jello with Al Roker."
Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

"Have you ever had sexual fantasies about one of your own relatives?"
"Have you ever had sexual fantasies about one of your parents?"
"Have you ever had sexual fantasies about one of your pets?"
"Have you ever fulfilled a sexual fantasy you had about one of your pets with another one of your pets?"
"Have you ever defecated on a floor, on purpose?"
"Have you ever intentionally drawn blood from somebody against their will?"
"Have you ever knocked somebody else's tooth out?"
"Do you think Diet Dr. Pepper tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper?"
"Would you have sex with Tom Brady? Don't you dare say no. Don't you dare say no, motherfucker."
Old 01-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
Critch
lolzcat

I'm sure if the first guy had gone a bit longer he'd have been asked if he'd ever banged the chick that was there as his "friend".

That's what I would have asked, anyway.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #16
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
"Have you ever had sexual fantasies about one of your own relatives?"
"Have you ever had sexual fantasies about one of your parents?"
"Have you ever had sexual fantasies about one of your pets?"
"Have you ever fulfilled a sexual fantasy you had about one of your pets with another one of your pets?"
"Have you ever defecated on a floor, on purpose?"
"Have you ever intentionally drawn blood from somebody against their will?"
"Have you ever knocked somebody else's tooth out?"
"Do you think Diet Dr. Pepper tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper?"
"Would you have sex with Tom Brady? Don't you dare say no. Don't you dare say no, motherfucker."

*FLAG ON THE PLAY*

Unnecessary stupidity, Offense, number TUDORS, will be penalized 50 post counts and half the distance to the nearest Chip and Dales club. The penalty includes lss of down.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #17
RendeR
Coordinator

In all seriousness though, its just pathetic what some people will do for a piddling amount of money. Shows like this demonstrate just how worthless many Americans feel.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
I'm sure if the first guy had gone a bit longer he'd have been asked if he'd ever banged the chick that was there as his "friend".

That's what I would have asked, anyway.

That was the first question me and my wife said we would have asked.

If "Have you held off having kids because you aren't sure your wife is your lifelong partner" is a middle of round question for $25,000... can only imagine what the $500K question is.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #19
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #20
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post

The other thing was that there is no way these people could be arrested for answering questions. The one that jumped out at me (and wasn't asked last night, BTW) was "Have you ever smuggled goods into the U.S.?" If the guy answers yes, there's no way he could be arrested. First, he was never read his Miranda Rights. Second, he would have to be arrested for a specific crime. What did he smuggle? I would guess this would be true for other more serious questions like "Have you ever murdered someone?" They would have to arrest him for a specific murder.

He couldn't be charged and arrested for saying something vague, but statements made on a TV show like this could absolutely be used against him as part of a whole case. Miranda only applies to governmental in-custody interrogations.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #21
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Funny, the one question that immediately jumped out at me was the question about whether the football player ever got a passing grade just for being a football player. Would have been hilarious for the NCAA to start an investigation of Cincinnati based on the answer of a game show contestant.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #22
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

This show rules
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #23
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Funny, the one question that immediately jumped out at me was the question about whether the football player ever got a passing grade just for being a football player. Would have been hilarious for the NCAA to start an investigation of Cincinnati based on the answer of a game show contestant.

Brian Kelly would then have to move on yet again.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #24
rkmsuf
Head Coach

"Is your wife a mail order bride?"
Old 01-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #25
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
Anybody else watch it tonight? I loved it! It's like an evil psychological experiment! They should call it "Ruin your Marriage and Friendships for Dollars"

I didn't catch the show but I have seen the commercials. With that being said, they should have casted Maury Povich as the host. Every question would then be aimed at paternity testing....

Quote:
Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

That was the first question that jumped out at me as well for the same reason. Also, I agree that the 2nd round question about his doubts about his wife being his life partner was brutal for such an early question. Crazy to go on a show with such embarassment, particularly when you figure he'd be fairly well off as a former ball player.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #27
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I saw the commercials for this, but I don't think I have any desire to watch this. And I don't think it's so much people going on TV and embarrassing themselves for the money as much as it is the 15 seconds of fame.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #28
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I saw the commercials for this, but I don't think I have any desire to watch this. And I don't think it's so much people going on TV and embarrassing themselves for the money as much as it is the 15 seconds of fame.

I agree.

Quote:
Old 01-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #29
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I admittedly only watched a few minutes of this last night, but it wasn't too difficult to predict that the contestant I saw was going to be asked about his piece/weave/toupe/whatever was on his head.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #30
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

What I don't understand is what takes these people so long to answer the questions. They'd already been asked once when they were connected to the lie detector. Whether their answer is "true" (according to the polygraph) or not, just give the same answer they gave when asked the first time. I'm sure that nerves play a part when you have your family, friends, and an audience watching, but there shouldn't really be anything to think about. You've already answered the question for the producers once!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #31
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
That was the first question that jumped out at me as well for the same reason. Also, I agree that the 2nd round question about his doubts about his wife being his life partner was brutal for such an early question. Crazy to go on a show with such embarassment, particularly when you figure he'd be fairly well off as a former ball player.

I'm no lawyer, but I'd guess the statute of limitations would have run out?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but the NCAA and its penalties aren't criminal, so a Statute of Limitations wouldn't necessarily apply. Only the limit they apply themselves.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #33
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What I don't understand is what takes these people so long to answer the questions. They'd already been asked once when they were connected to the lie detector. Whether their answer is "true" (according to the polygraph) or not, just give the same answer they gave when asked the first time. I'm sure that nerves play a part when you have your family, friends, and an audience watching, but there shouldn't really be anything to think about. You've already answered the question for the producers once!

I think it's because they have everyone there and are embarrased to admit it out loud.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #34
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

I think they tell the people to be theatrical. After all it's a show. I'm sure they are selected on their ability to be dramatic. There is surely coaching.

Second, you could choose to anwer in a way that you can blame the machine to save face if you choose to eject. Like if you told the truth to the machine but then were like uh I better lie here.

The question about "too much touching" was so abstract that there's no way to draw anything from a "no" answer that comes up false.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #35
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Editing pisses me off because you know it doesn't take them that long to answer the questions, but I guess Fox needs the Dramatic pauses.

Also, how embarrassing would it be to lie about something that is false. The first guy, when they asked if he looked at others in the shower, and he said yes, and it was actually false.

So they ask the people 50 questions beforehand on the lie detector, then they choose out of those questions which to air and they have to ask it again? Guaranteed no one wins the $500K on this show.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 01-24-2008 at 02:34 PM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #36
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

What I would like to see is to speed up the response when someones admits to something. I can understand the tension for a No answer for when someone agrees that they whack off in the shower, then its probably true and there's no real tension.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #37
rkmsuf
Head Coach

too many questions if they are really going to drag out the tension. 11 before you even get to any "real" money so to speak. I mean who is stopping at 10K. so there you get 6 questions of whatever...speed those up.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #38
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I enjoyed the first episode well enough. I agree with anyone who said that it will get old really fast. I read on deadspin that the Colombian version of the show led to a woman admitting she wanted her husband killed.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #39
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I enjoyed the first episode well enough. I agree with anyone who said that it will get old really fast. I read on deadspin that the Colombian version of the show led to a woman admitting she wanted her husband killed.

maybe that's why they will go really slow with the questions. really drag out a handful of games.

when's the celebrity edition?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #40
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

"Have you ever had sex with a sandwich?"
Old 01-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #41
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Do you have a mancrush on Jon Secada?

Yes, yes I do...

Old 01-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #42
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

They need to somehow incorporate those court room sitcoms on here. Instead of having a small claims court, have the defendant come in and take the polygraph live. Every now and again, maybe around sweeps, bring in the token criminal (grand theft, rape, homicide, etc) case.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #43
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This one was pretty good.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #44
Warhammer
Pro Starter

So dude's marriage is wrecked and he gets no big settlement.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #45
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

I love how they try to draw out the drama when it's SO obvious what the answer is by the contestants initial reaction...as soon as she put her head in her hands you knew they answer would be yes. That is why I can't watch the show...going on and on about the button and the second question and all that, it's a waste of time.

And...how did they even know about this ex-boyfriend/her affair unless someone told them??? The contestants have to be giving them some information, which makes me think it's staged somehow.

Also, who knew Wahlberg was a marriage counselor!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #46
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
I love how they try to draw out the drama when it's SO obvious what the answer is by the contestants initial reaction...as soon as she put her head in her hands you knew they answer would be yes. That is why I can't watch the show...going on and on about the button and the second question and all that, it's a waste of time.

And...how did they even know about this ex-boyfriend/her affair unless someone told them??? The contestants have to be giving them some information, which makes me think it's staged somehow.

Also, who knew Wahlberg was a marriage counselor!

There is no doubt by the questions that the show does a background check on the people. They interview people that are friends or relatives of the person, and ask questions based on the information given. Many of the questions are based on rumours which is why sometimes the answer is no.

In this case, I don't think she cared if this ruined her marriage. I think she was using this as a way out with hopefully a nice paycheck to boot. The fact that she missed the question that she did is sort of ironic justice.

Which leads me to my real problem with this show...lie detectors aren't accurate. They can be beaten, and they show false postives. From every lie detector experts I've ever read about, they'll admit that most of the analysis comes from them, not the machines. People might come on the show with intention of telling the truth about everything they are asked, and still lose because of a false reading. Which is another reason why you'd have to be a complete idiot to go on this show.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-27-2008 at 03:46 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #47
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
So dude's marriage is wrecked and he gets no big settlement.

Exactly. I'd have rather seen her win rather than get nailed with Insta-Karma. As it is, he gets half of nothing.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #48
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
There is no doubt by the questions that the show does a background check on the people. They interview people that are friends or relatives of the person, and ask questions based on the information given. Many of the questions are based on rumours which is why sometimes the answer is no.

In this case, I don't think she cared if this ruined her marriage. I think she was using this as a way out with hopefully a nice paycheck to boot. The fact that she missed the question that she did is sort of ironic justice.

Which leads me to my real problem with this show...lie detectors aren't accurate. They can be beaten, and they show false postives. From every lie detector experts I've ever read about, they'll admit that most of the analysis comes from them, not the machines. People might come on the show with intention of telling the truth about everything they are asked, and still lose because of a false reading. Which is another reason why you'd have to be a complete idiot to go on this show.

Aren't they inadmissable in court because of their inaccuracies. I always thought the show looked ridiculous, but in a "I have to watch the train wreck" way, so I gave it a shot but just couldn't stand the fake drama they pumped into every question. That clip was definitely entertaining though, and hey - karma's a bitch, that clip proved it!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:47 AM   #49
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

This was worse than an episode of Jerry Springer. At least on Springer, you're in on the fake situations. Here you're not.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 02-28-2008 at 01:49 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:40 AM   #50
miami_fan
Coordinator

I caught a little bit of this on Monday. I am just waiting for the story about the husband/wife who kills their spouse three days after the show.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote