Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Skiing at Big Bear (California)

My wife and I are heading to Palm Springs for a week in February and would like to hit Big Bear/Snow Summit for a couple days while we are there. Problem is, we would need a 4x4 or chains to drive there, and the car rental places said they need about a week's notice to get a 4x4 (can't rent chains apparently). We don't want to book the exact days until as late as possible in case the weather isn't cooperative.

So, with all that said, do any of our SoCal members, or anyone who has ski'd Big Bear, know of a bus or shuttle that could take us up there? Specifically during the week, as we are flying in/out on the saturdays. We poked around online and could only find a couple of tour companies (Sierra and XTC Tours) but they only take individuals on specific dates, all of which are weekends.

Any help would be appreciated.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wow, have fun!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hmmm...I havent heard of anything specifically that does that. You might just want to call up there at one of the ski resorts and find out what they say. If you don't end up going out there, you could always take the tram to a different mountain. No skiing/snowboarding though

http://www.pstramway.com/
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Hmm, thanks MrBug. We are big on skiing so we're specifically looking for that, but thanks for the info.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-23-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

If you know how to drive in the snow, you don't need chains. If you are from Winnipeg, you should be fine.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Hmm they make it sound like it is illegal to drive in the mountains without chains if your car is not 4x4. I'm guessing if the conditions were clear there would be no problems, but if it was snowy and the police saw me driving around without chains they would probably stop me.

That said, I wonder if the "I'm Canadian, eh?" defense would work...
Old 01-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Hmm, I found a site called MARTA (Mountain Area Regional Transit) that looks quite promising, they have buses that take you up the mountain from San Bernardino.

So I'm assuming I can just get a bus from Palm Springs to San Bernardino, then take the MARTA thing from there.

This is going to rock!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
If you know how to drive in the snow, you don't need chains. If you are from Winnipeg, you should be fine.

Not necessarily. Often times they'll turn you back if you don't have chains
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
DanGarion
Coordinator

You only need chains if it is snowing or if the road isn't clear. They work pretty hard to keep the road clear, so as long as it's not snowing you should be fine.

Also do chains really cost that much? I think you could just buy some cheap ones...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Chains are apparently about $125+ and are specific to the vehicle. Also it is apparently against California law to return them, so as soon as you walk out of the store they are yours for good.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Depending on how adventurous you and your wife are, you could look for a ride on craigslist, and perhaps even save yourself some scratch in the process. Of course, you have to be somewhat discerning, or you can end up trapped in a drafty, '74 International Scout with a driver who's swilling Mad Dog 20/20, taking bong hits, blaring the worst music you've ever heard through a single, blown out speaker (look for me in the passenger seat!).
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
Kevin
High School JV

4x4? Chains?

A good set of snow tires and common sense are all you need. If you have lots of the latter, snow tires aren't that important. In my experience, 4x4's are only good for driving out of the field after you've gone off the road from driving with a false sense of security.

Most vehicles I see in ditches are 4x4s driven by people who don't understand that you still have to slow down for slippery conditions. I haven't even used snow tires for the past 19 years because I adjust my driving based on road conditions.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Mmmm....Aspen. I love California.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Snow/studded tires are most definitely the shit, but not exactly a cheap option for a rental car.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
4x4? Chains?

A good set of snow tires and common sense are all you need. If you have lots of the latter, snow tires aren't that important. In my experience, 4x4's are only good for driving out of the field after you've gone off the road from driving with a false sense of security.

Most vehicles I see in ditches are 4x4s driven by people who don't understand that you still have to slow down for slippery conditions. I haven't even used snow tires for the past 19 years because I adjust my driving based on road conditions.

There is a difference between driving in icy conditions on a flat road and driving up a snowy mountain. I have lots of experience driving a normal car with all-seasons around icy/snowy Winnipeg streets, but no amount of experience will magically crawl a rented civic up a steep incline if the conditions are too bad...