Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Starbucks vs. McDonalds

Too good to pass up. With Starbucks prices who didn't see this one coming sooner or later?http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080107/mcdon...ffee.html?.v=1

Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Surprised to see shares down 48% for Starbucks given that a cup of coffee there costs what... $159.00 and there is always a line of 5-6 cars at our local one.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Related: Now free refills! http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080123/starb...king-budgeting
Old 01-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

A lot of our McDonalds stores over here in Australia have had 'McCafes' in them for some time now.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Starbucks, paying more for the same beans burnt.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

It does seem odd to see Starbucks shares down, they seem like goldmines everywhere I see one.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

My guess is its something similar to what happened with Krispy Kreme - the stock price never anticipated there was a saturation point (enough stores to meet demand), and then one day there was.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have tried McDonald's coffee and it is vile.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:51 AM   #9
JimboJ
High School Varsity

I like McDonalds coffee, but whether they can pull off the fancy drinks is another matter. If they can, then I don't see how Starbucks won't suffer. If there's a McD's on one corner and a Starbucks on the other, I'm going to the one thats half the price of the other.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:56 AM   #10
miked
College Starter

I was just in Mexico, saw lots of Starbucks. Their coffee may be a rip off, but they have a big international presence.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I have tried McDonald's coffee and it is vile.

True. Had some over Christmas in Missouri and it was bad...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If there's a McD's on one corner and a Starbucks on the other, I'm going to the one thats half the price of the other.

But there isn't. I think McD's is about a $1. A cup of regular coffee at Starbucks is ~$1.50 (for a similar sized cup).
Old 01-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #13
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I have tried coffee and it is vile.

Fixed it for you, and I strongly agree.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

I don't even like the smell of coffee. Never gone near enough to taste it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Fixed it for you, and I strongly agree.

Sorry you're missing out, Schmidty. Drinking coffee is something I take great pleasure in.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #16
Subby
lolzcat

I love coffee and I love Starbucks. Forget all of the specialty drinks they have. Just give me a large cup of their strongest coffee, drop in a shot of espresso, and I am good to go - for a few minutes, at least.

Be interesting to see if McDonald's is going to grind the beans in the store.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #17
General Mike
Pro Starter

I <3 Starbucks.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I love coffee and I love Starbucks. Forget all of the specialty drinks they have. Just give me a large cup of their strongest coffee, drop in a shot of espresso, and I am good to go - for a few minutes, at least.

Amen, brother... Amen.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #19
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Sorry you're missing out, Schmidty. Drinking coffee is something I take great pleasure in.

I drink probably 4-5 cups every week day at work. The weekends are more difficult, as my kids won't let me sit down long enough to even have one cup .

Regardless of that however, I concur. Coffee is good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #20
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I hope McDonalds serves coffee better than what I witnessed in a McDonalds once. Guy ordered 3 Coffees and asked for 3 sugars and 3 creams. I would think that a normal person would think, "Ok.. 1 coffee and a sugar and cream in each", but I watched as the server put in 3 sugars and 3 creams into each coffee (and their sugar dispensing machine doesn't put in like one packet, it is a pretty hefty dose) I can't imagine there was any room in those cups left for coffee.

At least I got my wife to switch to Lattes at Starbucks. She was drinking Cappucinos, but 1/2 that is foam...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 01-24-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #21
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I hope McDonalds serves coffee better than what I witnessed in a McDonalds once. Guy ordered 3 Coffees and asked for 3 sugars and 3 creams. I would think that a normal person would think, "Ok.. 1 coffee and a sugar and cream in each", but I watched as the server put in 3 sugars and 3 creams into each coffee (and their sugar dispensing machine doesn't put in like one packet, it is a pretty hefty dose) I can't imagine there was any room in those cups left for coffee.

At least I got my wife to switch to Lattes at Starbucks. She was drinking Cappucinos, but 1/2 that is foam...

Henceforth, from this moment on we will never forget to graduate high school and perhaps attend college in order to avoid the dreaded server position......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #22
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There are no Starbucks in Italy. Discuss.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #23
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:

You have to ask for a 'wet' cappucino, that gets you 2/3 coffee. Heard that from a server when a customer complained about the same thing.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #24
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:

If I was asking for that, I'd expect 3&3 in each of the 3. But that may be just me.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #25
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

I dunno is that's an exaggeration, but when I worked at Caribou, we made a cappucino with 1/3 espresso, 1/3 milk, 1/3 foam. Anyway, what's wrong with half foam? If you want foam, isn't that a good thing?

Last edited by Passacaglia : 01-24-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #26
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I dunno is that's an exaggeration, but when I worked at Cariou, we made a cappucino with 1/3 espresso, 1/3 milk, 1/3 foam. Anyway, what's wrong with half foam? If you want foam, isn't that a good thing?

no man should want foam
Old 01-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #27
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
no man should want foam

Mustang's wife is a man?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #28
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Mustang's wife is a man?

well that is news!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #29
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

For plain drip coffee bought from a restaurant chain, Dunkin Donuts FTW, especially if it's a DD up in New England. I think the coffee is better at DD the closer you get to Boston, as in CT and MA, it's downright fantastic, but down here in northern VA, it's just average (to me anyway).

Of course for my coffee, I usually brew my own before I leave for work (I have a 20 oz. thermal mug I take into work with me) or a drip coffee from Wegman's. I also have an espresso machine, so I can make my own, but I'm also a fan of skim lattes from *$.

That all said, buy more *$ coffee, I'm a shareholder!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #30
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I haven't acquired a taste yet for coffee, but I'm slowly getting there. I'm up to drinking iced latte's and stuff now, so it's just a matter of time.

For people that like iced latte's/cappucino's, the Big Train Kona Mocha mix makes an amazing drink! Every morning I make myself a big iced cap, which consists of:

- 1 - 1.5 cups of coffee
- .5 cup of milk
- 3 "half scoops" of the Kona Mocha mix
- then about 10-12 ice cubes (I add 6, blend, check the consistency, add a couple more, blend, etc until it is a nice smoothness).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #31
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

*watches over this thread with an evil glare*
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #32
General Mike
Pro Starter

When I go to Starbucks, or any of those type of places, I go to get the drinks I can't get elsewhere.

If I just want coffee, I'll go to Dunkin' Donuts, or Wawa.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #33
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If you want foam, isn't that a good thing?

Too much man foam talk...

Eh, just filler. (Cappucino filler foam not fill her foam). Same reason I hate ice when I get a soda at a fast food place.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #34
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Too much man foam talk...

Eh, just filler. (Cappucino filler foam not fill her foam). Same reason I hate ice when I get a soda at a fast food place.

ooh, you've won me over...i hate ice in soft drinks! Fast food places aren't so bad, cuz most of them have serve-yourself fountains. It's the $10-$20 an entree places that are the killer, where I have to make a big deal about asking for it, and still risk getting ice anyway. As for anything above $20 an entree, they put it in a fancy glass that you drink down too fast, and never refill it enough, and it costs more, so it's just not worth it.

As for foam, I do like some on occasion, but in those cases, I'll always get a latte instead of a cappucino (whereas normally I'd get a mocha or something else with whipped cream).
Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

McDonalds iced coffee is vile.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #36
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
ooh, you've won me over...i hate ice in soft drinks! Fast food places aren't so bad, cuz most of them have serve-yourself fountains. It's the $10-$20 an entree places that are the killer, where I have to make a big deal about asking for it, and still risk getting ice anyway. As for anything above $20 an entree, they put it in a fancy glass that you drink down too fast, and never refill it enough, and it costs more, so it's just not worth it.

As for foam, I do like some on occasion, but in those cases, I'll always get a latte instead of a cappucino (whereas normally I'd get a mocha or something else with whipped cream).

You are the wind beneath my wings.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #37
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I drink probably 4-5 cups every week day at work. The weekends are more difficult, as my kids won't let me sit down long enough to even have one cup .

Regardless of that however, I concur. Coffee is good stuff.

How do you deal with the kids without coffee?!!??!

Anyway, I think I am a little spoiled, in the bottom of my office building is a local chain (i think about 4-5 "stores") place called 'Cool Beans' that has some pretty good coffee that i pay $1.50 for medium (whatever that is in Starbucks terms).
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #38
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Tim Horton's coffee is the best, bar none.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #39
Galaril
Pro Starter

Dunkin Donuts baby!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #40
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Didn't consumer reports do a test of take out coffee and find that McDonalds was the best, beating out Starbucks? And McDonalds is only $.69 for any size.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #41
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post
Didn't consumer reports do a test of take out coffee and find that McDonalds was the best, beating out Starbucks? And McDonalds is only $.69 for any size.

i wish it was that cheap here, no chance in hell tho.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #42
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post

They used "trained testers" which probably just means they had a couple people do it, instead of getting a lot of data from having several people do the taste test.

Quote:
Hoping that consumers are fed up with asking Starbucks for “double-caramel skim half-caf macchiato” before they’ve even had their jolt of joe, Burger King, Dunkin’ Donuts, and McDonald’s have been boosting their coffee cachet.

McDonald’s Premium issues the slightly icky invitation to “wake up and smell your life” with a “richer, bolder” coffee; BK Joe suggests that you “wake up with the King”; Dunkin’ Donuts touts its usual coffee, but with more flavors and attitude. “My mouth can’t form these words,” customers in a recent ad sing when faced with the options in a fancy shop: Himan plu cento, for one.

We compared the rivals with Starbucks, all in basic black--no flavors, milk, or sugar--and you know what? McDonald’s beat the rest. Our trained tasters, who visited two locations from each company, spill the beans below (prices are an average of what we paid for the closest thing to a medium cup).

McDonald's, $1.35, was decent and moderately strong. Although it lacked the subtle top notes needed to make it rise and shine, it had no flaws.

Burger King, $1.40, looked like coffee but tasted more like hot water. It was a little sour, with an unusual hint of chocolate.

Dunkin' Donuts, $1.65, was weak, watery, and pricier than Starbucks. It was inoffensive, but it had no oomph. (If you brew with Dunkin’ beans at home, you can make it stronger.)

Starbucks, $1.55, was strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your eyes water instead of open.

CR's take. Try McDonald’s, which was cheapest and best, or make your own coffee--just call it something special. The other three were all only OK, but for different reasons.