Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Get and education or drink?
Yes 14 37.84%
No 12 32.43%
Trout 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Question Should I go to class tomorrow?

I have class at 10-1150 then again at 1-215. Neither take attendance. If I don't go to class I can encourage my drinking habit by tapping my friends keg when I wake up.

The two classes are Marriage and Family living and Early Childhood Development 1.

You make the call.

Yes it says get and education instead of an education. My bad. This entire poll is fucked up. I fail.

Last edited by illinifan999 : 01-22-2008 at 09:10 PM.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
MJ4H
Coordinator

just wow
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Rizon
Pro Starter

WWED?

What would Eli do?

Probably fumble or throw a pick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Joe
Pro Starter

I don't care.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Marriage and Family living seems like it could be interesting.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Marriage and Family living seems like it could be interesting.

Well, the first day of class we started talking about ethnocentrism which then turned into an hour long conversation about how the leading cause of death among infants is diarrhea in the world.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Clearly you should go to class, have a few beers from noon until quarter to one, hit the 2nd class feeling pretty decent. I hear the best way to learn about childhood development is with a beer buzz.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
digamma
Torchbearer

Take a water bottle full of the beer to each class. Problem solved.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
King of New York
High School Varsity

Is anyone else equally amused/troubled that someone is debating whether to drink all day or attend Early Childhood Development I?

Think of the children.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
MJ4H
Coordinator

Come on guys just answer the question:

Get and education or drink? YES / NO
Old 01-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Kegger on Wednesday?

nice.....
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
Desnudo
Coordinator

yes you should
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
amdaily
College Prospect

Go to class.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #14
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Come on guys just answer the question:

Get and education or drink? YES / NO

Hey I already said the entire poll is fucked up! :o
Old 01-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The fact that you said "Get and education" means you should go to school, mmkay?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I only went to class six times in five years of college, and I ended up getting a degree. So I think you should go, and then maybe go four more times before graduation.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 PM   #17
molson
General Manager

Does the class test on stuff outside the textbook?

I had a handful of courses in my early college years where the professor just recapped the reading assignment. It was an absolute waste of time. Since I knew how to read, I could just read the chapter and not go to class. There were 4 exams given in that course, and I attended class day 1, and then the 4 exam days, that's it.

Of course, the trick is being able to tell these classes from the ones where new testable material is actually introduced in class.

Last edited by molson : 01-22-2008 at 11:53 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:03 AM   #18
MrBug708
Head Coach

What the hell is your major?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:06 AM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Sounds like Sociology.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:34 AM   #20
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I thought I posted this earlier, but I guess I didn't hit the button.

Go to class.

I wouldn't go to class, but going to class is in your best interest.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

From the looks of those classes, sounds like "Division I Athlete"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-23-2008 at 07:50 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #22
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Sounds like Sociology.

That was my guess - Sociology FTW!

I know that I took a Marriage and Family course on the way to my Soc major...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #23
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I wish I had that option..."Should I go to work tomorrow?"

The consequences seem a little more severe for me to skip work than it is for you to skip class. Enjoy it while you can, skip class...I miss college.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #24
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I had a handful of courses in my early college years where the professor just recapped the reading assignment. It was an absolute waste of time. Since I knew how to read, I could just read the chapter and not go to class. There were 4 exams given in that course, and I attended class day 1, and then the 4 exam days, that's it.

Of course, the trick is being able to tell these classes from the ones where new testable material is actually introduced in class.

+1

The hardest part of college is figuring out how to maximize your time. And by that, I mean...squeezing classes, readings, papers, other work, time with your friends, just relaxing, sleep, going to the gym if you're into it, trying to pick up girls, j/o'ing when that fails, and going out at night all into your week. I had friends that would end up not coming out with us on a Tuesday or Thursday night because they had work to do. Meanwhile, when I had a couple hours off between classes, I would sit in the basement of our main business school building in a nice comfortable chair and read, while those same friends spent those couple hours watching Judge Judy. It's unreal how much time there is within a school day to get shit done.

My point being...if you can also figure out which classes are completely unnecessary to attend, it makes achieving all the above even easier when you free up all those hours.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The hardest part of college is figuring out how to maximize your time. And by that, I mean...squeezing classes, readings, papers, other work, time with your friends, just relaxing, sleep, going to the gym if you're into it, trying to pick up girls, j/o'ing when that fails, and going out at night all into your week. I had friends that would end up not coming out with us on a Tuesday or Thursday night because they had work to do. Meanwhile, when I had a couple hours off between classes, I would sit in the basement of our main business school building in a nice comfortable chair and read, while those same friends spent those couple hours watching Judge Judy. It's unreal how much time there is within a school day to get shit done.

Yeah, but there are always other considerations, too. Sometimes you need that down time during the day or work more efficiently at night so time is better maximized that way or whatever.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #26
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Sounds like Scientology.

Fixed.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #27
lungs
Pro Rookie

What year are you?

Like most people say, it depends on what the class is like. In my time in school, freshmen year was definitely the time to weed out the people that couldn't manage partying and school.

There is nothing wrong with skipping class and getting drunk as long as it doesn't bite your ass in the end. Why go to class if it's pointless?

Cherish college while you can. Drink yourself into a stupor without fucking up too much. I was an absolute drunk in college yet managed to get my degree. By the time I was ready to graduate, I had drank enough that I didn't really feel like partying a whole lot anymore and I was ready to join the real world (along with keeping my drinking to weekends and bowling nights).

But absolutely enjoy it while you can and if that includes skipping class and getting drunk, there is not a damn thing wrong with that no matter who sticks their nose up at you.

It's all about balancing things. Of course if you are trying to get some really good grades I wouldn't recommend drinking a whole lot and skipping class a whole lot. But if getting that piece of paper at the end is all you really care about, drink up!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #28
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So, what happened? Did you go?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #29
MJ4H
Coordinator

Remember that a lot of jobs ask for college transcripts, so scraping by with Cs and Ds and "just getting that piece of paper" at the end of the line may be an ok goal, but you could also shoot for higher and remember that future employers could be looking on.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #30
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Remember that a lot of jobs ask for college transcripts, so scraping by with Cs and Ds and "just getting that piece of paper" at the end of the line may be an ok goal, but you could also shoot for higher and remember that future employers could be looking on.

Sure, but going to class may or may not have any impact on one's grades. It would be silly to skip class if it did.

I really feel bad for the people that were super-studius in college. Then they get a job and a few years later they die. College is a special time. The key is living that life and not compromising your grades. Skipping pointless 101-level classes is part of that. Enrolling in a couple of courses like that is part of it too.

I took Geography 101 as a basic Liberal Arts requirement at Syracuse. I was actually pretty interested in it, but if I went to class, I'd just be zoning out until it was over. So I wouldn't go, and learned the material (which I enjoyed) on my own time. Since it was a morning class on Friday if I remember right, skipping allowed me to have a lot of very fun Thursday nights and lazy Friday mornings. And I got an A.

Of course, in a liberal arts program, once you get into the later years in, your courseload goes down, and you're focussing on your major. Those aren't classes you're skipping, because you're in pure job training mode at that point.

Last edited by molson : 01-23-2008 at 11:51 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #31
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well, sure, if you can skip a class and it has zero effect on your grade, go for it. That is a pretty rare class. Even the classes I skipped in college it made it tougher to prepare for the tests. Direct or indirect, it still usually has an effect.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #32
chesapeake
College Starter

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #33
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Supposedly. My girlfriend took this class last semester and she didn't have a hard time with it. She said the lectures were a waste of time and after the first class I understood why.

Quote:

Political Science but my advisor told me I'm so far ahead of my requirements that I should pick a minor so I chose Child and Family Services since that was always something that interested me and I knew I could grab an easy A or B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
From the looks of those classes, sounds like "Division I Athlete"

SI

I wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
What year are you?

Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
So, what happened? Did you go?

No

Quote:

So far I only have 1 C and that's from geology. All my PoliSci classes and the rest of my gen eds I've got A's and B's. My GPA is sitting at 3.6 and I'm on the dean's list. So I'm not too worried about that.

Quote:
Well, sure, if you can skip a class and it has zero effect on your grade, go for it. That is a pretty rare class. Even the classes I skipped in college it made it tougher to prepare for the tests. Direct or indirect, it still usually has an effect.

It's been the complete opposite for me so far. Especially the gen ed classes. Most of the stuff they test are so based off of using common sense it's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

I have been trying to gain weight for the last 8 years. I think I have a tapeworm or something.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #34
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Man, what's with taking classes in your minor that utterly bores you? Maybe one or two for a seperate graduation requirement, but in a minor? IIRC, at Rutgers, we only had to do 6 classes for a minor. Most departments have at least 6 interesting classes to take (and usually many more).
Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #35
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Man, what's with taking classes in your minor that utterly bores you? Maybe one or two for a seperate graduation requirement, but in a minor? IIRC, at Rutgers, we only had to do 6 classes for a minor. Most departments have at least 6 interesting classes to take (and usually many more).

I have only taken one class that has not made me zone out and that was Civil Rights and Liberties because it always turned into an argument about race.

Otherwise every class I have taken has been boring. PoliSci is boring because they talk either about stuff I already know or is just common sense. Gen eds are boring because I have no interest in them. So it's been very hard to find classes that hold my attention and unfortunatley at SIU, the course descriptions are very different from what the actual course covers.

If I had my choice all my classes would deal with issues regarding the Middle East, especially foreign policy, but SIU doesn't offer anything like that. Any foreign policy or international relations classes I have taken talk about Europe and Russia and maybe a little bit of Latin America.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #36
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Huh... that's interesting. I majored in Political Science and Economics with a minor in History and I enjoyed just about every class in my majors and minor (especially my minor). Some Econ classes got tedious (macro comes to mind), but most were actually pretty interesting. I had a great Economy of the USSR and Russia.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #37
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I think my problem is just the whole sitting in class for 50 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes just feels tedious and boring. I think I get bored very easily if my mind isn't being stimulated, and listening just doesn't stimulate my mind especially for as long as we are.

One of my classes this semester I think might be able to hold my attention when we get to it later on in the year when we have to read Mein Kempf and start talking about Hitler, but that's a ways away.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #38
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
I have only taken one class that has not made me zone out and that was Civil Rights and Liberties because it always turned into an argument about race.

Otherwise every class I have taken has been boring. PoliSci is boring because they talk either about stuff I already know or is just common sense. Gen eds are boring because I have no interest in them. So it's been very hard to find classes that hold my attention and unfortunatley at SIU, the course descriptions are very different from what the actual course covers.

If I had my choice all my classes would deal with issues regarding the Middle East, especially foreign policy, but SIU doesn't offer anything like that. Any foreign policy or international relations classes I have taken talk about Europe and Russia and maybe a little bit of Latin America.

My minor is in History, and 18 units completes it. That is only 6 classes, whereas some of the other minors being offered are 21 or even 28 units. I am only 1 class away from finishing the minor, but it is a 400 level class which is hard to find as they are not offered very often. College is messed up sometimes.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote