Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

the note I put on people's mailboxes today

did it make a difference? not so far, some people even took it and left their cars in the street They want to completely blame the real estate bubble for their values dropping but if out of 100 potential buyers, 10 cross off this neighborhood because people left their portable basketball courts out, their trash cans out, and cars everywhere then the prices will drop exponentially further than they need to, to get houses sold. They'll be the first to yell at their neighbor but wont take care of their own community. Makes me so frustrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer
Tips That Make Cents!

It makes Cents that the fastest way to raise the value of your own home is to have those homes that are currently on the market nearby sell as fast as possible. The longer it takes the lower the price will drop and thereby your value will drop too. So here are some quick tips that should make our neighborhood more appealing to people who are looking for a new home and generally make this an awesome place to live:

1. Park your cars in your driveway or garage. Everyone knows that on occasion you’ll need to use the street but currently it is the #1 objection potential buyers have. “It looks like a parking lot in xxxxx,” so sellers will have to continue to drop their prices to compensate for that. This will lower the value of your home too!
2. Water and take care of your lawn. If it looks terrible than it certainly paints a lower quality to our beautiful community. Would someone not buy a home in xxxxx because a few people have chinch bug? Of course not, this isn’t what we’re taking aim at but for those of you who aren’t watering their lawn, or have planted something that has not been approved by the ARB then you know what we’re talking about.
2a. psst, this also means mowing your lawn. If you don’t care to do it I am certain that there are a few kids in the neighborhood who would love to earn a few bucks so that they can buy a new videogame, bike, or skateboard. If it’s too long you should be able to tell fairly easily, the grass grows so tall it’ll actually start to bend over. That’s far too tall, don’t you think?
3. Slow down a bit driving through the neighborhood. I know it is a very big neighborhood and you want to get home as soon as possible but that extra 5-7 seconds could be the difference between, well, 5 to 7 seconds and running a bike off the road, swerving to dodge those parked cars in the road, scaring off potential buyers of our homes, or worse injuring someone. We don’t have speed bumps and I am sure no one wants them so lets just try to remember to take the foot off the gas a bit. It won’t happen overnight as habits are hard to break but over time we should be able to see a difference. We can all help each other to by gently reminding those flying by us with a subtle downward wave of our hand right? No fighting!
4. Keep an eye on eachother’s homes. If you’re out riding a bike and see someone scurrying about a house that looks suspicious than perhaps circle back around and give it a second look. Perhaps it is someone locked out of their own home, someone looking for a dropped wrench, or perhaps you’ll have saved someone from having their home broken into. Do NOT try to approach someone suspicious. If in doubt call 911, better safe than sorry.
5. Keep an eye on eachother’s kids. If a kid is riding by, give them some more room while driving by. Again, better safe than sorry. If a kid has fallen, ask them if they’re ok. Under no circumstances should a kid be taken from the place where they have fallen, ever, but bringing them a towel might be a kind gesture, an ice pack might be ok, and if theyre seriously hurt DON’T move them, call 911, and stay with them until paramedics arrive.

Thanks xxxxx, we know some things we cant control but there are some things we can. Let’s just all give it a shot and see what happens because maybe we can make a small difference in each other’s lives.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-20-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

IMHO i'd find that pretty annoying and preachy and probably leave it crumpled up and littered on the road (unless I knew where it come from then i'd throw it on that person's lawn), no matter how much truth there is in it.

i'd be like "stop trying to tell me how to run my own life and go f*ck yourself"

but that's just my opinion
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

I understand and appreciate what you're trying to do...that just seems like...idk...the most obnoxious way to go about it
Old 01-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good idea, but hopefully you were able to spell check and proof read it for grammatical errors.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think it was well written and agree with everything you wrote.

The sad thing is, about 10% will probably read it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
MJ4H
Coordinator

I would put the following on your mailbox in return:

A copy of your "tips" followed by:

If you ever fail at any of these things even once, I'm shitting in your mailbox.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
Flasch186
Coordinator

well the best part is most people think these things but refuse to or dont say them. Im just saying what most people think, Ill bet I get some "amens" too.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post

If you ever fail at any of these things even once, I'm shitting in your mailbox.

better or worse than in my shoes?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-20-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
MJ4H
Coordinator

Depends on whether I had gotten permission first, I guess.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post

I'd say... go for it... I have 3 dogs.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #11
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I agree with most above, a flyer like that would make me want to do the opposite just out of spite.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I agree with DT, I see what you are trying to do but my opinoion would be "If I wanted his advice I would ask him"

And if any of my neighbors suggested I should mow or water my lawn I would probably be pretty miffed
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
IMHO i'd find that pretty annoying and preachy and probably leave it crumpled up and littered on the road (unless I knew where it come from then i'd throw it on that person's lawn), no matter how much truth there is in it.

i'd be like "stop trying to tell me how to run my own life and go f*ck yourself"

but that's just my opinion

Yeah....I'd read up until the "park in the garage or driveway", and then I'd wonder if this was a neighbor or a fucking meter maid.

Don't expect to get invited to any block parties anytime soon..people would be afraid you'd start carding everyone.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I agree with most above, a flyer like that would make me want to do the opposite just out of spite.

well than you couldnt be mad when your appraisal on your Refi shows up 50K less than what you hoped....which is inevitably the next complaint I hear, "I cant believe my home is only worth $X". You should see this one home where they park their cars in the cul-de-sac like a parking lot, you cant even make a circle. with your car.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #15
Jas_lov
College Starter

I also agree with DT. Mind your own business, keep your mouth shut, and never rat out your friends. Nobody's going to read it and the people who do won't care one bit what some schmoe down the street thinks.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

It depends on the situation I think. I don't own a house or anything, but if you guys have some kind of neighbourhood meetings and talk about the dropping value, or regularly talk to neighbours and the majority complain about the dropping value... I would've brought up the idea of making a list like this to hand out. Judge their reaction from that. If they were open to it, great then do it.

If this was just out of the blue and I got something like this in my mailbox, I wouldn't pay attention to it.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
well than you couldnt be mad when your appraisal on your Refi shows up 50K less than what you hoped....which is inevitably the next complaint I hear, "I cant believe my home is only worth $X". You should see this one home where they park their cars in the cul-de-sac like a parking lot, you cant even make a circle. with your car.

yeah but who the hell are you to tell them where they should and shouldn't park their cars?

I think a better tactic would have been invite people over to discuss how to make the neighborhood more appealing.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #18
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I also agree with DT. Mind your own business, keep your mouth shut, and never rat out your friends.

Wow, I couldnt disagree more and think that many of our neighborhood's (all those that have problems) stem from attitudes like these. In the community I live in these things are an epidemic. I watched someone drive right next to a kid on the bike and when he fell over the car kept right on going. I thought that that was awful on so many levels it prompted this reaction.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

One day our whole neighborhood had bags on their mailboxes. Written right on the bags?

"Please do not put on mailboxes." plus more about how its not legal, bla bla bla. But our 'hood of 200+ houses had 'em. Needless to say, that bag went right into the garbage, even if it was a donation bag, I don't care.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
yeah but who the hell are you to tell them where they should and shouldn't park their cars?

I think a better tactic would have been invite people over to discuss how to make the neighborhood more appealing.

actually....

in this neighborhood, Im the sales agent, the person they come to for appraisals, the person they complain to about the neighborhood, the person they turn to for news about the neighborhood and surrounding area, and I live here too SO I dont believe that there is anyone more qualified to do this for this community. that may not be the case for all communities but considering I spend all of my work and home hours here I think Im the expert on XXXX.

the funny part is I was talking to a resident who is completely in agreement and I realized that the people who do this stuff aren't going to listen anyways and the people who dont will say "Amen." so it probably wont do any good cuz the neredowells wont care what their home is worth....until they try to sell it, that is. oh, and they wont care if a home gets broken into or their kid is run off the road....until it happens to them, that is.

eh, whatever. I did it anyways and I think I did the right thing.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-20-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #21
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Wow, I couldnt disagree more and think that many of our neighborhood's (all those that have problems) stem from attitudes like these. In the community I live in these things are an epidemic. I watched someone drive right next to a kid on the bike and when he fell over the car kept right on going. I thought that that was awful on so many levels it prompted this reaction.

Look, the bottom line is that it comes off as too high and mighty. I'm better than you, this is the way I do it, and so should you. You don't think that your letter might come off that way to some people? I know you mean well, but I agree with Lathum's suggestion of talking to people about effective ways to improve the neighborhood.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
actually....

in this neighborhood, Im the sales agent, the person they come to for appraisals, the person they complain to about the neighborhood, the person they turn to for news about the neighborhood and surrounding area, and I live here too SO I dont believe that there is anyone more qualified to do this for this community. that may not be the case for all communities but considering I spend all of my work and home hours here I think Im the expert on XXXX.

Right, if they come to you and ASK you you are by all means the most quailified but to just distribute your advice unsolicited, I dunno, I would think that person was being a jackass,

Again, not a personal attack on you, just my opinion if one of my neighbors did that to me
Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #23
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Look, the bottom line is that it comes off as too high and mighty. I'm better than you, this is the way I do it, and so should you. You don't think that your letter might come off that way to some people? I know you mean well, but I agree with Lathum's suggestion of talking to people about effective ways to improve the neighborhood.

you make a good point but....

this neighborhood has no meetings, ever.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #24
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

...actually these are the covenants and restrictions to the community, some people just choose not to follow them. They actually signed a contract to follow them, perhaps they didnt read the contract. Many people in another thread called people idiots who dont read and follow contracts but it happens so I suppose that could be it. Ill bet on a lack of care though.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-20-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Is half the neighborhood for sale or something? Or is it likely to be in short order (I ask since that seemed to be the way this was approached initially)

By & large though, my initial reaction would pretty much be what DT described. And I'd give serious consideration to shitting in your mailbox at some point.

I'm assuming that this would be a neighborhood with covenants/HOA rules or something that deals with at least some of those things (local city/county ordinance maybe). If so, then they should be dealt with through whatever mechanisms those establish. If not, then a lot of this falls in the category of MYOB. In any event, if I wanted your opinion I would have asked you for it.
And until I do, pour yourself a nice steaming cup of STFU.

edit to add: Obviously you were posting while I was typing, since you cleared up some of the covenants thing. I guess that leaves me with the question of "are you the proscribed mechanism for handling covenant violations"? If not, then I would consider this out of line and would have a pretty serious problem with you. Good thing we don't live in the same neighborhood, huh?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-20-2008 at 03:02 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #26
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like the property values may currently be higher than they deserve to be. You may be trying to artificially raise the values higher than the current residents can support.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #27
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I think it was well written and agree with everything you wrote.

The sad thing is, about 10% will probably read it.

thanks.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-20-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Is half the neighborhood for sale or something? Or is it likely to be in short order (I ask since that seemed to be the way this was approached initially)

By & large though, my initial reaction would pretty much be what DT described. And I'd give serious consideration to shitting in your mailbox at some point.

I'm assuming that this would be a neighborhood with covenants/HOA rules or something that deals with at least some of those things (local city/county ordinance maybe). If so, then they should be dealt with through whatever mechanisms those establish. If not, then a lot of this falls in the category of MYOB. In any event, if I wanted your opinion I would have asked you for it.
And until I do, pour yourself a nice steaming cup of STFU.

edit to add: Obviously you were posting while I was typing, since you cleared up some of the covenants thing. I guess that leaves me with the question of "are you the proscribed mechanism for handling covenant violations"? If not, then I would consider this out of line and would have a pretty serious problem with you. Good thing we don't live in the same neighborhood, huh?

I think this might be only the 2nd time we've ever agreed on anything. Let's not go making a habit of it hmm?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Let's not go making a habit of it hmm?

I don't think we have to worry about that

Then again, we agree on not wanting it to be a habit so ...
Old 01-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #30
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
...actually these are the covenants and restrictions to the community, some people just choose not to follow them. They actually signed a contract to follow them, perhaps they didnt read the contract. Many people in another thread called people idiots who dont read and follow contracts but it happens so I suppose that could be it. Ill bet on a lack of care though.

is it your job to enforce these rules?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I don't think we have to worry about that

Then again, we agree on not wanting it to be a habit so ...

dammit!
Old 01-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #32
RendeR
Coordinator

This is exactly the reason that Telle and I refused to buy a home that required joining a HOA.

No uptight windbag with a manicured lawn and prestenciled parking spaces out front is going to drop this trip into my mailbox. Not without getting my foot up their ass that is.

Its one thing to complain about housing value, its another to knowingly do things that detract from it, but it is their right to do so without someone sticking uppity schmuck letters in their mailbox unrequested "suggesting" that they do otherwise.

Its not your place to tell people how to live day to day.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
This is exactly the reason that Telle and I refused to buy a home that required joining a HOA.

+1

Although I'm generally pro-zoning in the broad sense, my experiences with amateurs trying to manage property (or much of anything else) is pretty much exclusively bad. To the extent that I'd be pretty hard pressed to decide whether I think the Holiday Inn Express guy could do a better job of emergency brain surgery or the average homeowner could develop & implement rational rules governing anyone else's property.

This is such an issue for me that it was one of the most researched things about the house that we're in now. Technically speaking there is a HOA but is strictly voluntary on the <$50 annual dues, it has zero enforcement power, has zero rule making authority and exists for the narrowly defined purpose of maintaining the flowers & landscaping on the area where the small entrance-to-the- neighborhood sign sits. The only other covenant that applies to any of the property in the neighborhood requires that all homes include a garage that does not open toward the front of the house.
That's a HOA I can live with.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-20-2008 at 03:26 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #34
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I agree that what you wrote is correct, and yeah, by coming to you for advice they kind of put that leadership hat on you, but all I could think of after I read it was the lady in that animated movie "Over the Hedge", when she calls someone and says "our HOA says that your grass shouldn't be higher than 1.5 inches, and today I measured it at 2 inches...". Sure, she is right, but it wasn't the best way to convey the message.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #35
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

Aren't there ways to enforce the covenants in the HOA rules? I'm guessing a note on people's cars isn't one of them, and people will throw this thing away.

Put me in the JiMG/DT camp.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #36
Flasch186
Coordinator

to answer some questions:

- enforcement by the HOA and most HOA's is minimal. It is a Felony to apply a "false Lien" so most property managers weigh on the side of caution (because they can be sued personally) and do nothing.

- I felt in the above I was giving examples that weren't even of the extremes but were the more mundane and feel anyone pissed is probably doing this stuff. They wont care until it happens to them. Then they'll raise the roof.

- In this community 15% are for sale not including the builders.

- Parking in the street, like i pointed out is an epidemic which is exacerbated by the narrowness of the street. There are sections that you need a traffic person to stop the flow on the other end so your direction can make it through all of the way. Some cul-de-sacs are literal parking lots.

- The neighborhood is filled with children. Almost every home has at least 1.

- People are continually complaining to eachother and me about the above regarding the cars, basketball goals, trashcans by the street or left in front of the home all week, etc.

- I witnessed the driving thing myself which was the most awful thing of all of the above.

- I continually am trying to explain things to appraisers so as to help people's value be kept from being lowered. I guess I could do the opposite and help people's values go into the toilet.

- They signed the agreement to follow the covenants and bitch when others dont yet they do this themselves.

-Finally, at the end of the day it made no difference at all and there are cars and kids everywhere and the cars are flying through the zig zags of parked cars. Oh well, when they bitch to me Ill continually tell them their houses are worth less and less. They'll be pissed about that too.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-20-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #37
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
Sure, she is right, but it wasn't the best way to convey the message.

I dont know of any other way as we have no meeting(s). It's do something or do nothing. I chose to do something, and later they will continue to gripe that they're values suck. Would you want to buy in any community that welcomed you with cars in the road that you have to zig zag around? Probably not, so they'll lower those prices so you'll not think about it.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-20-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I dont know of any other way as we have no meeting(s). It's do something or do nothing. I chose to do something, and later they will continue to gripe that they're values suck. Would you want to buy in any community that welcomed you with cars in the road that you have to zig zag around? Probably not, so lower those prices so you'll not think about it.

I also wouldn't buy in a community where a self righteous neighbor tried to tell me how to live my life.

And you'll continue to have no meetings until someone takes the initiave to call one.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #39
stevew
Hall Of Famer

As long as you signed it with your name, I really don't have much of a problem with anything you wrote. If it was anonymous, then i'd throw it in the trash.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #40
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:

- The neighborhood is filled with children. Almost every home has at least 1.

You'll have lower prices due to this anyway, so I can see where you're coming from in regards to the cars and other things.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #41
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
I also wouldn't buy in a community where a self righteous neighbor tried to tell me how to live my life.

And you'll continue to have no meetings until someone takes the initiave to call one.

Take initiative? Ill refer you back to your earlier comments (and many others, sorry), no offense. Thats what I did IMO.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-20-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #42
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Amateur.

You completely overlooked asking your neighbors to turn their Wi-Fi off due to health reasons.

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #43
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
As long as you signed it with your name, I really don't have much of a problem with anything you wrote. If it was anonymous, then i'd throw it in the trash.

it was anonymous but that wasn't a big deal to me as I was talking to some people while handing them out. I just didnt think about adding a name or anything like that. I completely stand behind every bit of it so if someone were to ask, I'd proudly say it was me....I guess I shouldve added my name. It may have held more or less weight I dunno, I didnt think about it.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #44
miked
College Starter

Man, I hate that shit. Usually when I see somebody drive by and try to put shit on/in my mailbox driveway, I throw something at them. You want to get your message out, rent a soapbox and stand in the middle of the street and let people choose whether they want your message.

I even have people in my neighborhood drive down my driveway and knock on my backdoor to tell me they can a) sell my house for loads, or b) trim my branches, etc.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Take initiative? Ill refer you back to your earlier comments, no offense. Thats what I did IMO.

I;m not saying you didn't. I just think you would get a far more positive response by suggesting your neighbors meet to discuss the community as opposed to distibuting unwanted advice through mass distrabution.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #46
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
I;m not saying you didn't. I just think you would get a far more positive response by suggesting your neighbors meet to discuss the community as opposed to distibuting unwanted advice through mass distrabution.

TBH, Im not sure ANYTHING will change in this community no matter what. I tried and did what I thought was best. I will continue to give kids extra room in the street and try to help people re-finance their homes, but when they start bitching about it, Ill ask them what they did about it.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #47
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I wonder how many trees had to die in order for people to ignore Flasch's note
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #48
Hoosierbuckeye
Mascot

In our neighborhood and community, anyone posting flyers on cars or on the doors of homes is a violation of a civic statute that restricts solicitation--with the exception of church groups, school fundraisers, and Girl Scouts (gotta love those cookies)--and anyone soliciting homes on the do not solicit list can be escorted out of town and fined.

So, just as an addition to this thread, another way to increase the value of your home is to protect your privacy and use law enforcement to escort flyer stuffers out of town.
Hoosierbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #49
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
TBH, Im not sure ANYTHING will change in this community no matter what. I tried and did what I thought was best. I will continue to give kids extra room in the street and try to help people re-finance their homes, but when they start bitching about it, Ill ask them what they did about it.

I think you are missing the obvious solution here. If the rest of the community is below your standards, maybe it is time to look for a better community.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #50
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierbuckeye View Post
In our neighborhood and community, anyone posting flyers on cars or on the doors of homes is a violation of a civic statute that restricts solicitation--with the exception of church groups, school fundraisers, and Girl Scouts (gotta love those cookies)--and anyone soliciting homes on the do not solicit list can be escorted out of town and fined.

So, just as an addition to this thread, another way to increase the value of your home is to protect your privacy and use law enforcement to escort flyer stuffers out of town.

it was on their mailbox, I am not selling anything but I guess it is loosely under the solicit definition, and am a resident subject to the same C&R so I think that legally It'll be alright. Luckily, in this community I was "right" to do what I did. Like most have stated, I doubt it will do any good though.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-20-2008 at 04:28 PM.