Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-10-2003, 05:53 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Harrick Suspended

http://msn.espn.go.com/ncb/news/2003/0310/1521316.html[url=http://]

Georgia won't play in the SEC or NCAA's Tourny. What a bummer for the players.

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:55 PM   #2
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

How long before somebody hires him again?
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:03 PM   #3
tucker342
Pro Starter

The more I hear about Harrick, the more I hate him. I think it was a good decision by the university, but you've got to feel bad for the players on the basketball team who had nothing to do with the aligations.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:17 PM   #4
astralhaze
College Prospect

Indeed. This is another example of the idiocy of the NCAA punishment process. Why do they punish the players and the school instead of going after the coach, athletic department, administration, and boosters, as applicable? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:18 PM   #5
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

I'm sorry. I can't feel bad for the university. The players I can feel for, but the upper levels of the university knew the baggage Harrick brought with him, proven or otherwise.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:41 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The university did it, and they did it without even giving the players a chance to make a stand, I think the University of Georgia is entirly to blame here.

In fact, Georgia deserve the Death Penalty over Michigan. I wish this would take some heat off my Wolverines, because, after all, no one from that debacle is still at the University.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:10 PM   #7
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Did anyone see Digger Phelps refusing to indict Harrick until he had all the facts? He wouldnt be suspended if there were no allegations of substance, let alone the RI allegations.

I hate when old coaches just defend each other endlessly.....
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:13 PM   #8
Airhog
Captain Obvious

The players were so upset the refused to play in the last two games.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:14 PM   #9
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Good, I'm glad to hear about this suspension. Maybe now this board won't be cluttered every day by twenty threads about your stupid little soccer games. It's about time.

Oh, sorry, I thought this said "Hattrick Suspended".
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:15 PM   #10
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

lmao
Old 03-10-2003, 07:37 PM   #11
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I feel sorry for the players. I'll be so glad when Harrick is officially fired. Again, you hire a guy with that kind of baggage.....

I hope Adams follows him out the door.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:48 PM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

In other NCAA basketball coaching news, Bobby Knight gave back his salary because he was not happy with the way his team performed.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:57 PM   #13
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I feel for the players, but Georgia had to do this. By killing themselves now when it obviously hurts they may save themselves from the death penalty. There are so many allegations and so much evidence already uncovered that the admin had to realize something desperate was called for. While the players are getting the shaft, their anger shouldn't be directed at the NCAA or the school. This is Harrick's fault and he should take the heat.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:56 AM   #14
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Seems like it might have been better to just fire Harrick outright and let the players give it their best shot in the tournament with some space-filler coaching the bench.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:23 AM   #15
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
Seems like it might have been better to just fire Harrick outright and let the players give it their best shot in the tournament with some space-filler coaching the bench.

I'm sort of under that impression, too, but I was given two reasons this is better.

1) They can't fire Harrick yet. If they fire him without putting a smoking gun in his hand they would have to pay him for the rest of his contract. I don't think they intend to do that.

2) The NCAA is easier on schools that take the lead and really show a willingness to correct their mistakes. UGA had to begin punishment the second they had hard proof, and because of the academic fraud they were going to lose two starters that without them they had no chance of beating anybody anyway. So this makes the University look tough while really just saving themselves early outs in both tourneys.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 01:16 PM   #16
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Good points. After making that post I read an article talking about how it is a done deal that he will be let go, but they do need to get all their ducks in a row to keep the lawyers off their backs. It would be nice if Harrick was getting tossed out of the NCAA.

Do you have to be licensed/certified to coach in the NCAA? If so, why can't that be revoked?
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 01:23 PM   #17
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Here's a none too flattering article on UGA Athletics from CBS Sportsline.com

Of note, this is the 6th Time a Major Violation in the Ath. Dept. has occured at UGA in the past 25 Years.. The article keeps referring to the number 4.16, as in UGA gets in trouble an average of once every 4.16 Years..

Obviously there is a problem in the way "business" is handled in that school's Athletic Department. Let's hope, for UGA's sake, these most recent violations finally give the University the kick in the pants needed to finally get things cleaned up.