Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

I watched the first episode last night and actually enjoyed it. They made some parallels to T2, which I liked. I initially watched because Summer Glau was in it, and I was not disappointed.

I'm just worried that it'll become repetitive.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have it taped but I heard it got poor reviews.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't really remember much of the terminator story line, but I watched last night as well (it was after the game and there really isn't alot of other new shows on right now).. I didn't mind it and will tune in again.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

It seemed to reference stuff from previous movies too. I haven't read any reviews, but like I said, at least the first episode was good in my opinion.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I have it taped but I heard it got poor reviews.

I glanced at the reviews they had quoted over on Aint it Cool News. The reviews seemed pretty mixed, which isn't bad for this type of show.

I liked the first episode quite a bit. Decent action. Decent effects. As for the cast, I find Lena Headey delightful. She's easily the hottest actress ever to play a character named Gorgo. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for anyone from "Firefly", so Sumemr Glau gets a free pass. Both were good. The kid from "Heroes" who plays John Connor was also solid.

I will definitely keep watching.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We're just ignoring that T3 happened in this show, right? I watched the pilot several months back on some viewing site(legit). The one chick was smoking hot, i thought the show was pretty solid, but continuity will bother me quickly. I'm sure.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
We're just ignoring that T3 happened in this show, right? I watched the pilot several months back on some viewing site(legit). The one chick was smoking hot, i thought the show was pretty solid, but continuity will bother me quickly. I'm sure.

The action is set right after T2, so yeah, before anything in T3.

We watched it too and I really liked it but as Mike said in the first post, I'm worried it might become repetitive.

FM
Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and the wife and I both thought that the Heroes kid makes for a much brighter looking kid than the dude they picked for T3...

And that Summer young girl is delightful

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 01-14-2008 at 09:43 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Tasan
College Starter

I thought it was pretty good. They should have showed T2 before it or something though, because both me and my wife were having problems remembering it. I need to go back and watch the movie tonight now, so the episode will come together for me more.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Judgement day was in 2004, according to T3. I just don't know how the hell they can leap to 2007 and maintain any continuity.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
I thought it was pretty good. They should have showed T2 before it or something though, because both me and my wife were having problems remembering it. I need to go back and watch the movie tonight now, so the episode will come together for me more.

T2 was running all weekend on one of thos Encore free movie channels on cable. I watched various bits and pieces of it. It still holds up pretty well after 15+ years or so. In my mind, it was the best film in terms of action sequences and special effects until "The Matrix" came around de-throned it in 1999. I am still waiting for something to top "The Matrix."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I watched it for about 40 minutes before I got bored and turned it off. For some reason, I don't think that the action from two R rated movies is the same on regular TV. When the Terminator was shooting up the cops at the beginning of the show I thought it was too "sanitized".
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Judgement day was in 2004, according to T3. I just don't know how the hell they can leap to 2007 and maintain any continuity.

Despite the fact that I liked "T3" more than most, I don't have a problem with them sort of ignoring it ever happened.

And, in any event, with all this time travelling ability going around, who knows? Maybe John Connor will go back in time at some point and everything will be set up for the T3 continuity thing...
Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i gotta find the first part of it online. my fuckheaded family booted me off the tv (long story short we only have 1 working right now) right at the beginning of it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #15
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

i enjoyed it as well. not sure how it will hold up over the long run, but i don't feel like i wasted my time.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #16
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
As far as I can tell, this show pretends that T3 never happened. It picks up from T2, to the point of a visit to Dyson's family.

The continuity here puts Judgement Day in 2011. This time, the protector Terminator doesn't know who built Skynet.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
As far as I can tell, this show pretends that T3 never happened. It picks up from T2, to the point of a visit to Dyson's family.

The continuity here puts Judgement Day in 2011. This time, the protector Terminator doesn't know who built Skynet.

I thought it was after the T2 movie. So they visited Dyson's family, destroyed all of the stuff, Dyson died, etc. And that's why Sarah is surprised that Skynet is still around?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #18
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As far as I can tell, this show pretends that T3 never happened.

I like to do the same thing.

As for watching T2, just wait a few hours and it will be on some channel. (I think Lifetime even shows it)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

I actually watched the DVD of T2 right after the show.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #20
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I actually watched the DVD of T2 right after the show.

I bought the "T2 extreme" DVD of the movie over the holiday break and we watched it over the weekend. I highly recommend that version of the movie. It's a sort of extended version with added scenes in there that mostly involve the liquid metal terminator more and some are pretty cool...

FM
Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I bought the "T2 extreme" DVD of the movie over the holiday break and we watched it over the weekend. I highly recommend that version of the movie. It's a sort of extended version with added scenes in there that mostly involve the liquid metal terminator more and some are pretty cool...

FM

Does it include that dream sequence with Reese?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

I enjoyed it too. My main problem was that they directly lifted too many scenes from T2. I felt like they somewhat crossed the line between paying homage to one of my favorite movies and simple plagiarism. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it, and will definitely keep watching.

Forgetting T3 is not a bad idea at all. If I could eternal sunshine erase T3 and the Star Wars prequels, that would be fantastic. Oh, and Caddyshack 2 as well.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #23
Anthony
Banned

i watched with my friends. when they were in the vault and John asks "how are we gonna get out of here?" and the female Terminator shows him this machine looking thing, i shouted out "i will never watch this show again if that thing turns out to be a time machine....in a bank". sure enough, 5 seconds later she says its a time machine and that was the end of my minimal interest in this bad show. the only that made it even worse is when they sho up naked in the future and i said "if this was HBO or Showtime we'd be seeing those two chicks naked right now, but no, it's on FOX 5".

horrible show. they got the female Terminator character all wrong. too much emotion for a robot, especially when she first appears in the show. but she's a terrible actress. if they wanted a terrible actress but someone who was hot they could've went with so many other girls, maybe even Mischa Barton. that girl isn't that pretty to make up for her bad acting.

Last edited by Anthony : 01-14-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #24
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd vote Hot for Sarah Connor and the girl terminator.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #25
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Forgetting T3 is not a bad idea at all. If I could eternal sunshine erase T3 and the Star Wars prequels, that would be fantastic. Oh, and Caddyshack 2 as well.

Highlander 2 is the ultimate Eternal Sunshine needed wipe movie for me.

The only way Terminators should be hot is if their skin is burned off by an exploding fuel truck. You just know they are going to turn this into some type of love story.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 01-14-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #26
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:

Isn't there a T4 coming out in the near future (2009/2010), beginning some time after T3, starring Christian Bale as John Conner?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0438488/
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 01-14-2008 at 11:05 AM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #27
Kodos
Resident Alien

I believe that is correct.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
Isn't there a T4 coming out in the near future (2009/2010), beginning some time after T3, starring Christian Bale as John Conner?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0438488/

Yes. It's taking place post-apocalypse and will deal with the human vs. Skynet struggle. I am sure whether T3 "happened" or not wont be an issue.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #29
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't remember T1 much, and haven't seen T3. But I don't think they've ever explored the robots falling in love or anything like that right? The closest thing would be in T2 when they switch Arnold to have both read/write capabilities, and he kind of ends up caring for John.

In the episode, John said something like "you're different, what kind of model are you?" And all she says is "yes, I'm different."

Maybe she was a specially-made model by future John to go back in time and have a baby with John eventually. haha. I also wonder if the 2007 version Sarah and John exist at the same time as these 1999 versions.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #30
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I enjoyed it too. My main problem was that they directly lifted too many scenes from T2. I felt like they somewhat crossed the line between paying homage to one of my favorite movies and simple plagiarism. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it, and will definitely keep watching.

Funny thing is that T2 is pretty much directly lifted scene-for-scene from Terminator. The parallels between those movies are impressive, right down to the final showdown inside a factory.

Quote:

Defintiely the Star Wars prequels and I agree with Mustang on Highlander 2. That still stands as the "worst movie I have ever seen in a theater." God it was awful.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I don't remember T1 much, and haven't seen T3. But I don't think they've ever explored the robots falling in love or anything like that right? The closest thing would be in T2 when they switch Arnold to have both read/write capabilities, and he kind of ends up caring for John.

In the episode, John said something like "you're different, what kind of model are you?" And all she says is "yes, I'm different."

That was my take on that line as well. She's been programed to be a little more "human" than the previous models. Old John Connor probably knew young John Connor could use the confidence boost.

Hell, if I had to send a robot back in time to protect me I'd certainly take the Summer Glau model over the Arnold models. Easier on the eyes and all...
Old 01-14-2008, 12:09 PM   #32
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought it was after the T2 movie. So they visited Dyson's family, destroyed all of the stuff, Dyson died, etc. And that's why Sarah is surprised that Skynet is still around?

In T2, Judgement Day was going to be in 1997. Sarah, John, T-Ahnold, and Dyson destroyed Cyberdyne, the artifacts from 1984, and the terminators from T2.

In addition to Judgement Day itself, T-Ahnold had related the history up to then, which involved Cyberdyne producing AI and the AI being put in charge of the U.S. armed forces.

For the series, it starts several years later in 1997, and Sarah would presumably already know that none of the "checkpoints" have happened (in fact, the date of Judgement Day might have passed), so I imagine she thought that Judgement Day had been prevented altogether. Hence her surprise at finding out that Skynet still arose, and her query as to where it came from.

I thought the continuity from T2 seems pretty solid aside from some iffy-ness regarding ages... I'm not sure if John is old enough and I don't think Dyson's kids are old enough.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 01-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #33
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i watched with my friends. when they were in the vault and John asks "how are we gonna get out of here?" and the female Terminator shows him this machine looking thing, i shouted out "i will never watch this show again if that thing turns out to be a time machine....in a bank". sure enough, 5 seconds later she says its a time machine and that was the end of my minimal interest in this bad show. the only that made it even worse is when they sho up naked in the future and i said "if this was HBO or Showtime we'd be seeing those two chicks naked right now, but no, it's on FOX 5".

horrible show. they got the female Terminator character all wrong. too much emotion for a robot, especially when she first appears in the show. but she's a terrible actress. if they wanted a terrible actress but someone who was hot they could've went with so many other girls, maybe even Mischa Barton. that girl isn't that pretty to make up for her bad acting.

I'm with ya man. I don't know why SkyNet sent an older Terminator model to attack John Connor when they just sent the liquid one. Also, if you can send an unlimited number of Terminators back to the past, why are you going to send one at a time?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #34
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

If they could travel back in time, why not just go back to the factory in the original terminator and grab the crushed T1 that eventually is used by Miles Dyson to reverse engineer and eventually develop Skynet?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #35
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I'm with ya man. I don't know why SkyNet sent an older Terminator model to attack John Connor when they just sent the liquid one. Also, if you can send an unlimited number of Terminators back to the past, why are you going to send one at a time?

Why not just send one back when Sarah Conner is born and kill her then? I thought Skynet was smart, why is it waiting so long in either of the Connors' lives to kill them?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #36
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Yeah, this whole time travel thing should be left to the experts, like Dr. Brown.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #37
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Dola, the only thing I was looking forward to was Jesus Christ...I mean John Connor meeting Reese in school and having him say "Your mom is fucking hot!"
Old 01-15-2008, 01:54 AM   #38
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

This show would be watchable is they found even on good actor. Everyone is fucking brutal and I don't think I can stand it, as much as I like the Terminator series.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #39
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

I really enjoyed both episodes and am definately going to continue watching.

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #40
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork View Post
I really enjoyed both episodes and am definately going to continue watching.

-Cork

Agreed.

I like the fact that they are tying in things from the first two movies so well, like Enrique and such.

Show's got promise. Though John Connor sneaking into that guy's house was bordering on Kim Bauer levels of stupidity.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-15-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #41
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Agreed.

I like the fact that they are tying in things from the first two movies so well, like Enrique and such.

Show's got promise. Though John Connor sneaking into that guy's house was bordering on Kim Bauer levels of stupidity.

Yeah same, it's still got my attention. I like tying into movie stuff as well. John Connor better not continue to be such an idiot. Although in T2, he did "stupid" things to save his mom. Maybe they're trying to play into that.

It seems like the black FBI guy will be on their asses all season.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #42
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
This show would be watchable is they found even on good actor. Everyone is fucking brutal and I don't think I can stand it, as much as I like the Terminator series.

I don't understand? I think the female terminator is doing well as a robot with some human aspects, and none of the other actors/actresses stick out as being bad to me.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #43
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I don't understand? I think the female terminator is doing well as a robot with some human aspects, and none of the other actors/actresses stick out as being bad to me.

I agree. I thought the acting was fine. Perhaps Lena Headey isn't a good actress, but I can't tell as I am constantly distracted by her hotness.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:20 AM   #44
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I agree. I thought the acting was fine. Perhaps Lena Headey isn't a good actress, but I can't tell as I am constantly distracted by her hotness.

What is the it about Lena that evryone thinks she is so hot? I am not seeing. Is it a middle aged guy thing or something?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #45
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
What is the it about Lena that evryone thinks she is so hot? I am not seeing. Is it a middle aged guy thing or something?

Uh... I don't know. What makes a girl hot? Great body, attractive face, nice, delicate bone structure, great eyes, full lips, wonderful hair, great screen presence... Take your pick. She's hot.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #46
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm 39 and frankly, unimpressed.

Summer's whole personality and quirks of emotion for a macihne make sense when you tihnk about one line from the first episode:

She gets asked how long/when she got there and says "1963"

She's had time to aquire knowledge of how a female should act and react in public.

yeah its a stretch but I'm buying it for now.

Was NOT a fan of the time machine either, but the first episode is really just a setup for the whole show and they gotta get them into the plotline somehow.

I need to get a DVR, hopefully my idiot brother in law will get his free cable set up soon so I can get the DVR he has upstairs down in my livingroom.

Long story, and I am NOT going to tell it.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #47
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I don't think Cameron said that she had been there since 1963, only that the material in the safe deposit boxes had been there since 1963. So far, it's been clearly established that there's a large shadow war going on in the "present day", and she has substantial knowledge of the resources available to the "resistance" side of that shadow war.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #48
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I don't think Cameron said that she had been there since 1963, only that the material in the safe deposit boxes had been there since 1963. So far, it's been clearly established that there's a large shadow war going on in the "present day", and she has substantial knowledge of the resources available to the "resistance" side of that shadow war.

That was my understanding as well.

See, despite what RendeR says, he too was so smitten with Lena Headey that he couldn't pay proper attention to details. And he didn't even know it...
Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #49
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:

So apparently they have sent back more people, to do what? If they aren't protecting John, why send back resistance fighters to fight something that hasn't even started? I could see if their mission was to destroy Skynet, but then why wouldn't the Female terminator tell them "Don't worry about Skynet now, John has sent back some resistance fighters to uncover and destroy it already."

And if they can send back all of these people, why the hell not send back a ton of terminators to protect John instead of just one? I guess the more terminators sent back into the past, it creates a better chance of a piece of them being left behind and someone using it to develop Skynet, like a never ending circle or paradox.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #50
gstelmack
Pro Starter

A shadow war?

The original had the nice plotline of a defense computer gone mad. Perfect. Wrecking a perfectly good story with a background shadow war and a resistance and junk is just as egregious as making a sequel (of any type or quality) to Highlander...