Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

FM2008: Learning the Game

While this dynasty will be extremely boring compared to the others that were recently started, I thought I should start it because now I'll have to take it slow, as well as learn the game so when I talk about my team I don't sound like an idiot.

Please though, if anyone reads this and has advice or wants to tell me I'm doing something wrong, please do.

Universe

So the first order of business was to create my universe. I added the following countries:

England
Germany
Holland
Ireland
North Ireland
Norway
Scotland
Sweden
U.S.A.
Wales

I selected the lowest possible league for each, used a large database, and then started my game!

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

The Job Hunt

Time to be overwhelmed! I started out unemployed, and my goal is to get a job with a very small team and, hopefully, work my way up as I get better at the game.

I prefer to be in Sweden (my nationality) or England.

The manager's job at Worcester of the Blue Square North division is available. There are also a bunch of low level Swedish jobs available, but I think I'm going to take a shot at the Worcester job.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Worcester Job Denied!

Well, I thought I had a shot since the Blue Square leagues were pretty low, but I guess I thought wrong! Now I'm going to try and land a job that I think I'll have a good chance of getting.

Varmbols FC of the Swedish Second Divison ES needs a manager. They have a ton of young guys so maybe it will be good to start with them.

I submit my application and hope for the best!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Varmbol FC Application Accepted!

The chairman of Varmbol FC, Mats Abrahamsson, has offered me a two year contract worth $13,000 per year. While I will probably go hungry and live in my office at the stadium, I'm glad to get my foot in the door.

Mr. A has given me a whopping $0 transfer budget and a $52K wage budget per year. He has also told me that he wants the team to survive in the Second Division ES by the end of my contract.

I accept the deal, and take an initial look at my squad.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Good luck with your first foray into FM...great to see all of the dynasties coming back. I just might start one of my own but it's a great motivator to see so many people writing about their teams!
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Old 01-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I'm getting some messages in my inbox about players turning down deals from me, but I don't seem to remember offering anyone a contract. Is this the board doing stuff for me?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I have a goalkeeper on my reserve team that is better than my two active goalies. Is there a way to promote him?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Attacking Midfielder Picked Up on Free Transfer

To test out the transfer waters, we picked up AM C Igor Talevski. He's an aggressive player who I think will be an upgrade over our previous player at the position.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
Koryo
n00b

In regards to the contract offers: Check the options menu and see if your assistant manager is the one who is offering contracts to your squads. You can check/uncheck that option for the various squad levels.

Moving players between your different squads: You should be able to right click a player and and there is a large list of options including one that will allow you to promote to the senior squad.
Koryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Russian Defensemen Sergey Mitin Picked Up on Free Transfer

Again, I was playing around with transfers and ended up with this guy. He is a big upgrade over my previos defensemen.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 01-09-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #12
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

April 19th, 2007

Varmbol at Rynninge

Supposedly, this game is going to be a travesty. My odds are 20-1, so I just hope that we don't get embarrassed.

Well, we start off terribly, giving up a goal within the first 5 minutes of the game. Then, in the 12th minute, our defense makes a bonehead mistake and fouls a player in the box, giving them an easy goal on a penalty kick.

This isn't looking good at all.

Shockingly, we make it all the way to the 34th minute without giving up another goal...and all of a sudden, Tomas Vesterinen comes up with a huge goal!

Of course, 4 minutes later Stellan Carlsson of Rynninge scores his 3rd goal of the game.

Halftime

Well, I definitely need to adjust to step Carlsson, as he's absolutely destroying us rigt now.

We miss a huge oppurtunity in the 47th minute, their keeper made a great save. These guys are just much faster than us.

We end up losing 4-1, which was expected, but it would have been nice if we could have played them closer. Also, we scored a goal on our own net. That's pretty bad.

Post-Game

Loss, 4-1

Goals: Tomas Vesterinen (34)

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 01-09-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Welcome to the WWSM addiction, glad you are joining in. Good luck, you definitely have a challenge. About the only tips I would give since you learning the game is to read up on tactics as they need to be solid. Pick a style you want to play and get players to fit it. There are some really detailed threads and even some uploaded tactics at SIgames.com.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #14
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I don't want to blow up your spot, but learning the game by taking over one of the worst possible teams looks to be an exercise in futility. I learned by playing as Rangers in the SPL - got my feet wet for a dozen or so seasons, then hit the lower leagues. The nuances of the game and the little tips and tricks you pick up are going to be crucial at a very low level.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #15
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Welcome to the WWSM addiction, glad you are joining in.

+1

Welcome to the dark side of the force as they say. It can be very addictive, but also a whole lot of fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I don't want to blow up your spot, but learning the game by taking over one of the worst possible teams looks to be an exercise in futility. I learned by playing as Rangers in the SPL - got my feet wet for a dozen or so seasons, then hit the lower leagues. The nuances of the game and the little tips and tricks you pick up are going to be crucial at a very low level.

Depends on people I guess. I do think that someone who knows very little about soccer might be better off starting with a team a tiny bit higher than the lowest possible league, but some people might like it that way. Myself, I tried starting with a conference side once but never really got into it. It might have had to do with that year's version (think it was 2006) or maybe even the other way around (i.e. didn't like the version because I tried with a smallish side first) but I have not tried with another club than Luton since then...

Anyway, good luck to you!

FM