Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2003, 09:35 PM   #1
tucker342
Pro Starter

Alcohol free for 2 years!!!

My Freshmen year of High School was probably the worst year in my life. To ease my suffering, I would get piss drunk every Friday night with my two best friends. This went on for several months, until finally I was caught by my mom and dad. This is what I can remember(which isn't very much) from that night.

"I want to get so drunk, that I can't even walk." That's what I told my friends as we left school at the end of the day. I live two blocks away from my High School, so we walked over to my house. It started out like any other Friday afternoon. At around 7:00, my parents had to go out and run some errands, that's when we raided my parents liquor cabinet in the kitchen, we poured ourselves out a couple glasses of liquor, and waited anxiously for my parents to go to bed. At around 10:00, I took my first sip of pepperiment shnapps(sp?), that was gone in five minutes. my friend had been drinking Bacardi Select, he still had half a cup left, which I took and chugged. By that time I was having trouble standing up, we decided to go up stairs to get more, I made my self a cup of gin n' tonic, with barely any tonic and a hell of a lot of gin, I also poured myself a cup of Bacardi. By the time I was done drinking, I drank all three and a half cups of liquor in a span of probably about twenty minutes total. By that time I couldn't even sit down without falling over, that's all I can remember from that night.

The next morning, my friends told me what happened after I had blacked out, I had apperently puked three times, and one of my friend's had puked on the stairs. Later that morning, after we had cleaned ourselves up, I was getting a drink of water in the kitchen, when my mom came in to ask me why the puke smelled like gin, I told her I didn't know why it did, but as I was talking to her, I passed out and fell on to the floor, she than called my two friends down, and we confessed, sort of, we told her that this was the first time we had ever gotten drunk, and that we were just experimenting. My parents drove my friends home, and the rest of the day I slept. When I woke up the next morning, my parents told me that they knew that I had gotten drunk before, because my dad noticed that almost all of the Bacardi was gone. So than I told them the whole truth.

I learned alot of things that night, and the days that followed. If you look at it, what happened that night, is probably the best thing that has ever happened to me, because otherwise I would be doing stuff a whole lot worse than drinking. The past two years have been the best two years of my life, and I'm just so happy to be alive.

tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
astralhaze
College Prospect

Congratulations. While there is nothing wrong with having a couple beers when you get off work, you were obviously on a steep slope towards alcoholism. I think you are going to be much better off for your decision.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:46 PM   #3
Hawaii Warrior
n00b

Congrats, alcohol free for 17 years... Never taken a sip of it in my life actually.

"The only way I will come back to the NFL is if the Lions hire June Jones as Head Coach..." -Barry Sanders

"When he threw the ball 38 straight times the other day, I said, 'That kid is my son,' " Mouse Davis said of June Jones.
Hawaii Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:48 PM   #4
Craptacular
College Starter

Keep it up! There is never a good reason to get drunk, but I'm glad you've used the lesson of that night in a positive way.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:53 PM   #5
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
Keep it up! There is never a good reason to get drunk, but I'm glad you've used the lesson of that night in a positive way.

There is for David Wells. It helps him pitch perfect games.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:54 PM   #6
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Congrats!
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:55 PM   #7
FBPro
College Starter

Clean here, actually had a couple of beers in H.S. but that was many years ago. Don't need that kinda stuff to keep me going.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 10:08 PM   #8
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

congrats. One night in New Orleans when I was 19 was enough to cure me of alcohol for the past nine years.

*shudders at the memories*
Old 03-09-2003, 10:54 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Congrats! Quite an achievement.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 10:57 PM   #10
korme
Go Reds

Great story tucker.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:04 PM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

I drink every once in awhile, but I seriously can not remember the last time I was pissed drunk. Probably about 3 or 4. Nothing bad happened. In fact, I can honeslty say that I've probably had better experiences with drugs and alcohol than the vast majority.

It's liek Bill Hicks said. "I had a great time on drugs...where's my commercial?"

But in all honesty, the reason I've stopped drugs and getting drunk is, it just lost appeal. I just got bored with it, I guess.

tucker, it's good that you went through that. It's good that you were able to learn your limits without serious injury. And it's good that you've stayed off it for the past few years. Keep it up.

*thumbs up*
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:06 PM   #12
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze
Congratulations. While there is nothing wrong with having a couple beers when you get off work, you were obviously on a steep slope towards alcoholism. I think you are going to be much better off for your decision.

Alcoholism is a very big problem in my family, so I probably am an alcoholic, that's why I'm never touching the stuff again, that and now when ever I even smell a gin n' tonic, it makes me wanna puke.

Thanks everyone for your kind words, it's amazing how much people grow up in two years, I now realise that I don't need alcohol to have fun.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:16 PM   #13
sabotai
General Manager

Yeah, it's amazing how much you love something, but puke it up once and suddenly the smell is an instant gag reflex.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:21 PM   #14
bbor
Pro Starter

I havent been sober since i started reading QS posts and they made me feel inadequate

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:26 PM   #15
JeeberD
General Manager

That's not the only thing that makes you feel inadequate, "Tiny".

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:35 PM   #16
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
That's not the only thing that makes you feel inadequate, "Tiny".

Shhh...i thought that was our secret

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:37 PM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

You complete me...

Old 03-10-2003, 12:30 AM   #18
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

I also have had an experience involving alcohol that taught me a lot about life

In mid December, a little before Xmas, a friend at HEB had taken some alcohol from the beer section and put it in the back. He called me at the same time I was waking up and asked if I was interested in getting some beer. I, half asleep at the time, said yes and drove over there to pick it up, telling my mom I was returning some videos (which I was, but among other things.) Unbeknowest to me, the security cameras had captured my friend doing this and the second I walked with him to the employee's room door where the beer was, they were onto us. At my car, the manager stopped us, and as events progressed, me and my friend were arrested for Class B Theft. Being 18, I was thrown into county jail. If you've been in jail, you know that while there you have time to think. I thought about where my life was, and while it had improved since freshman year, I still wasn't happy. When my parents bailed me out, I finally realized that I have great, wonderful parents, and that I shouldn't take them for granted. Since then, I feel happier than I can ever remember, I've come out of my shell that had been building around me since middle school, and I actually have some self-esteem. I'd consider that day to be the worst in my life, but without it, I wouldn't be as happy as I am now, ready to graduate high school and begin college and the next phase of my life.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:51 AM   #19
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats. I know its real tough to walk away.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:27 AM   #20
TLK
Pro Starter

Now this is a thread I can learn something from.....

TLK
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 02:27 AM   #21
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Thumbs up

tucker . . . Congratulations. And good job! Glad you and your parents are able to communicate a bit more now. Definitely a GoodThing[tm].

Hawaii Warrior . . . Good job to you as well. As astralhaze said, unless there's a medical reason for it as in tucker's situation, alcohol itself isn't a terrible thing. It's the abuse of it that becomes a problem. That said, I really hope you do wait a few years before trying it. And, if/when you do, please do be careful and be in control.

bigdawg . . . Kudos to you as well, those are definitely good knowledge to have with you. At ANY age, but an even bigger plus at your age. Have fun in college.

Last edited by daedalus : 03-10-2003 at 02:36 AM.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:41 AM   #22
ACStrider
High School JV

Great story, and good luck in staying alcohol free.

As for myself, I've been alcohol free for 23! Part of that is that I'm a Christian (nothing in the Bible against drinking, only drunkeness, so don't think I'm using this to suggest that I think drinking is wrong, only that...) and the other part is that I know that alcoholism runs in my family and for me to drink would be putting myself in a bad situation.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:15 AM   #23
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Way to go guys. I forget how long it's been since I've taken a drink, but I can say one thing about being sober...it's a lot easier to deal with problems if you actually face them instead of getting piss drunk and hoping they go away. Congrats again.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:19 AM   #24
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Not that I have in a while, but I like getting rip roaring drunk from time to time.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:34 AM   #25
sabotai
General Manager

"If you've been in jail, you know that while there you have time to think. I thought about where my life was, and while it had improved since freshman year, I still wasn't happy. When my parents bailed me out, I finally realized that I have great, wonderful parents, and that I shouldn't take them for granted."

If that happened to me, all I would have been thinking about was how bad I was going to kick that guy's fucking ass!
Old 03-10-2003, 09:55 AM   #26
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
I drink every once in awhile, but I seriously can not remember the last time I was pissed drunk. Probably about 3 or 4.

If you are getting pissed drunk when you are three or four, you may be a redneck (or Irish).
Old 03-10-2003, 09:58 AM   #27
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Sabotai

I should've kicked his ass, cause while we were being questioned, he attempted to pin it on me to save his job, saying he was just an innocent bagboy (didnt work). We haven't hung out much since, but he has sincerely apologized for what he tried to do, and I think he is remorseful, so I've let it go. Besides, its hard to kick ass when your hands are cuffed.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:05 AM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

Ugh, handcuffs suck. Unless they're used for "recreational" purposes, then they're OK.

I had my night in jail just about a year ago, and you're right, you do a lot of thinking. There sure as hell isn't anything else to do in there...

Old 03-10-2003, 10:08 AM   #29
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Ugh, handcuffs suck. Unless they're used for "recreational" purposes, then they're OK.

I had my night in jail just about a year ago, and you're right, you do a lot of thinking. There sure as hell isn't anything else to do in there...

You can watch Macgyver and plot your escape. Alternately, you can pray that the guy you share the cell with, who happens to be a compulsive showerer, does not attack you late at night.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:23 AM   #30
JeeberD
General Manager

Luckily I was just in the police department jail for 18 hours. It was basically just a holding area until you got shipped off to county, but my roommate came up with bail before I got shipped out. Of course, there were some crazy dudes in there with me, so it wasn't the easiest night for me to sleep...

Old 03-10-2003, 11:59 AM   #31
bbor
Pro Starter

Drunk tank...i think everyone should spend at LEAST one night in the tank.

Old 03-10-2003, 12:55 PM   #32
JeeberD
General Manager

Nah, wasn't drunk, but it was on the night that my roommate and I had a big St Patty's day bash. Me and some friends went next door to this apartment complex that was being built and one of the guys started breaking windows and shit. The cops were in the area and heard it and we got busted for criminal trespassing. Probation should end next month, thank god...