Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2003, 10:25 PM   #1
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread

Well, boys its all most time for the big dance so I thought we should start up the discussion thread.

I call Austin Peay as a sleeper. Also ETSU looked strong today.

What bubble teams are in? Which are out?

Who do you not want your team to face on its road to the FInal Four? Kentucky looks awfully tough, but I think they are beatable.

Anyways, discuss.

GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 10:41 PM   #2
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

UConn just moved off teh bubble and into the tournament with a big win at Boston.

Seton Hall is NIT bound after now losing two in a row.

BC is clearly a bubble team now.

My Big East analysis:

IN:
Syracuse and Pitt, cleary the class of the BE. One should be a 2 seed, the other a 3. Outside shot for one of them to get a 1 seed.

Notre Dame and UConn, the next best 2. UConn more dangerous, but also more inconsistant. I would say UConn will be around a 6 seed, and ND maybe a 4 or 5 seed.

BC, Bubble team, but I would think the Big East could manage 5 bids. They simply must win their first game of the Big East tourney. I would say a 8/9 seed.

Seton Hall. Fell off the bubble today, but if they could get three wins in the Big East tournament, they might work their way back in. Huge uphill climb.

Villanova. Self-destruction. 7 players suspended for tomorrows game? NIT bound.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 10:43 PM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

Kentucky and Arizona appear to be a class above the rest of the nation still, I don't see anyone beating them.

Other random stuff:

NC State was *this* close to beating both Maryland and Wake Forest in their last two games. Now that they blew them both, they probably need to make the ACC finals to have a chance at getting in. 9-7 in the ACC is nothing to sneeze at, but I dunno, those non conference losses are scary.

#1 seeds at this point IMO are Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas and Florida. The SEC and Big 12 tournaments will have a lot to say about that though. Texas and Oklahoma could also get the #1s but at this moment that's my 4.

My guess is mid-majors are going to get a lot of props by the selection comittee after all the press, at the expense of the NC States and Seton Halls of the power conference.

Oh, and the Big East will get punished for following John Thompson's tradition and not scheduling a single top 100 team in non conference play(Notre Dame excluded).
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 10:47 PM   #4
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

I think Texas defeating OU and Florida losing to Kentucky will put UT at #1 and Florida at #2 barring any upsets.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:49 PM   #5
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I dont see Nova accepting an NIT bid.

I don't think Kentucky and Arizona are that much better than the rest of the field. I could see both them getting upset and not making the Final 4.

I think the Illini and Wisconsin could be March Monsters and both have a shot at the final 4.

I think Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas are all overrated. The Big 12 is overrated this year.

I think you also have to watch out for C-USA darlings Memphis and Marquette. Cincy could be tough if they can find out how to hit an open shot.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:56 PM   #6
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

C-USA:

Marquette, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis will get in.

Bubbles I think are St. Louis and UAB depending how far they can go in the tournament.

#1 seeds: Texas/Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona and Pitt
Old 03-08-2003, 11:04 PM   #7
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I think St. Louis and UAB are NIT bound unless they win the tournament. Memphis beat UAB by 11 at UAB and was up by 24 with two minutes to go.

I think it will be a Memphis-Marquette match up in the final and it will be a dandy. An instant classic.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:29 PM   #8
Radii
Head Coach

Pitt is the single most overrated team in the country IMO. No way they get a #1 I can see Florida not getting one definitely... but if they make the SEC finals only to lose to Kentucky again, I dunno... honestly the only teams I feel in contention for #1 seeds right now are Arizona, Kentucky, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas. Anyone outside of them getting a #1 would be a *huge* shock.

Pitt is probably a #2, the two listed above that don't get #1s are probably #2s. The ACC tournament champion is probably the final #2, if it's Wake Forest definitely, Duke/Maryland probably.

I don't see the big 12 being overrated either, those top 3 teams deserve their rankings. I think the SEC as a whole is overrated, though Kentucky is probably the best team in the country at this moment, I really don't know what to think of Florida.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:43 PM   #9
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting that Pitt is being talked about as a outside #1 seed, without mentioning Syracuse, who split with them, and actually has the #1 seed in the Big East conference. Syracuse had some nice out of conference scheduling this season: at Michigan St. (sure, they are not as great, but still solid, and at their house is always a tought place to play), Memphis on a neutral court (an NCAA team) and at home against Missouri (#11 at the time, a tourney team and made last year's Elite 8.)

Syracuse's only losses are to: Pitt on the road, UConn on the road, Memphis neutral court (1st game of the season), and 1 pretty bad loss at the RAC against Rutgers. They swept Notre Dame, beat Pitt, Missou, MSU, Seton Hall Twice, and Boston College. They also schedule and beat one of those mid-majors that people always say big conference teams always avoid, Valpo.

With Carmelo Anthony not only the Freshman of the Year in the country, he is arguably the most talented player in the country and can carry a team on his back during a tough stretch of a game. The team is pretty young, and you can see them get better and better every single game. I know youth is not usually served in the NCAA's, but this team has a bit of a different make up for a team with a lot of youth. Obviously Anthony is well beyond his year, as the sharpshooter, Gerry McNamara. Bille Edelin may be a freshman, but is 20 years old and has been aroudn the program for 2 years before finally getting to play. Hakim Warrick is one of the most improved players in the country, and the scouts coming to see Anthony have really noticed Hakim as a legit NBA prospect. Keuth Duany's brother, Duany Duany took his Wisonsin team to the Final 4 when he was a senior. Something to think about.

As for weak out of conference ooponents for the Big East, all teams play cupcakes. Here are some BE teams and their OOC teams they played:

UCOnn: GW, Vandy, UMass, Oklahoma, North Carolina
G'Town: Duke, UCLA (OK, who knew they would be this bad)
Miami: Florida
Notre Dame: Marquette, Maryland, Texas, DePaul, Vandy, Kentucky
Pitt: Georgia
Providence: Alabama
Rutgers: Texas, Depaul, Louisville, Manhattan
St. John's: Texas, Manhattan, UCLA, Duke
Nova: Marquette, Temple, MSU, Dayton, Memphis
West Virginia beat Florida

Compare that to the almighty ACC:

Duke: G'town (questioanble), St. John's, UCLA
Maryland: Indiana, Florida
Wake: St. John's, Marquette

I got tired of looking at the ACC teams, but took the top three. Not really a load of OOC legit teams there.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 03-08-2003 at 11:47 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:03 AM   #10
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I think it is a bit of an understatement to call Memphis just an NCAA team. Afterall, they are the #18 team in the country, have won 11 straight, and have just been punishing opponents as of late.

I think they are deserving of a #3 seed if they win the C-USA tournament.

Also Marquette has been discussed as a possible #1 seed.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:18 AM   #11
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I think Texas probably deserves a number one seed after beating OU today, I dont think kansas deserves one, however anything could happen in the tournament, and there is still time for one team to grab one.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:24 AM   #12
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Airhog

How comes Texas deserves a #1 but Kansas doesn't, even though Kansas beat Texas? Hey, I'm a longhorn fan, but I think if Texas gets a #1, Kansas gets one too. Same with Zona.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:41 AM   #13
thesurreallife
n00b

C-USA
------------------------
Marquette #2 seed
Memphis #5
Louisville #6
Cinci #10

Bubble (probably need to get to the conference final)
St Louis
Depaul

UAB no way - lousy RPI/Schedule

check out this great RPI site by the way

www.teamrankings.com
thesurreallife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:15 AM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

Nov 23 Duquesne W 82-67
Nov 27 St. Francis-PA W 69-46
Nov 30 Ark-Pine Bluff W 89-49
Dec 3 Norfolk St W 96-51
Dec 7 @ Penn State W 82-60
Dec 14 SE Louisiana W 89-55

That's Pitt's first 6 games. Nothing there to command respect really. RPI wise, Syracuse and Notre Dame are slightly higher than Duke and Wake, and after looking at all their numbers, I bet Pitt gets a #3 or #4 and Syracuse gets equal or better. But no one is saying that an ACC team deserves a #1 seed either

As for UConn, the UMass loss is considered a bad one. At least, when people talk about why NC State won't make the dance, UMass is always listed as one of their Bad Losses. And of course, UConn losing to UNC is probably considered a bad loss too(I say probably because UNC's RPI is in the 50s, but they're clearly not that good a team this year).
Old 03-09-2003, 01:17 AM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdawg2003
Airhog

How comes Texas deserves a #1 but Kansas doesn't, even though Kansas beat Texas? Hey, I'm a longhorn fan, but I think if Texas gets a #1, Kansas gets one too. Same with Zona.

Well, heck, if the Colorado Buffaloes make the field, give them a #1 seed too. They beat Kansas AND Texas, after all.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:21 AM   #16
Radii
Head Coach

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology/index.html

That's also a week out of date, new one will come out Monday. It has Syracuse a #2, Pitt/Notre Dame and Wake/Duke as the 4 #3s. I still think if Wake or Duke wins the ACC tournament they probably get a #2 in the east, but so much can change during touranments next week, who knows. They also have Marquette/Kansas/Oklahoma as the other #2s, Texas a #1.

Memphis is listed as a 6 seed.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:23 AM   #17
henry296
College Starter

Some random musings on this topic. By the way, I love March.

Maryland also played Notre Dame.

Pitt doesn't deserve a #1 because they had a very week OOC schedule. However, I am not sure they are overrated. They are a very balanced team with great team defense. They could really frustrate a lot of the top teams.

My #1s as of now are UK, UA, TX and Probably FL
#2 are OU, KS, Pitt, Marquette.

Of course conference tourneys will change that.

The committee doesn't use head to head so that won't be a factor between Kansas and Texas. That game was pretty close and in Kansas.

Let me give some props to my alma mater the Penn Quakers. They have solid wins over Temple, at Villanova and at USC. If they shot the three well, they could pull a first round upset. I think they are most likely a 12 seed and are on a 14 game winning streak and one of 3 teams to be unbeaten in their conference. Of course it all depends on the matchup.

Todd
Old 03-09-2003, 01:33 AM   #18
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Over in the Horizon league, you have a couple of teams that could pull first round upsets. Both Butler and Wisconsin-Milwaukee have looked very good all season.

They play each other in the Conference Championship on Tuesday - should be a very good game. There is a small (very small) chance that the loser of the game will get an at-large bid and both teams make the NCAA's.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 02:12 AM   #19
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Big Ten analysis:

Illinios and Wisconsin are locks, but probably can't get better than a 3 seed. I like Illinios to make some postseason noise.

Purdue and Michigan State are likely in. I don't see MSU making a run (mediocre guard play, no true point), Purdue could be a dark horse because of their depth (they usually go 10-11 deep).

Indiana was in, but is now a slight bubble team with the loss to Penn State (8-8 conf. record). They'd be a really special team if JJ had stuck around. Oh well.

Minnesota is sitting on a huge bubble. They probably have to win tomorrow (at Illinios) and then win at least 1 probably 2 more in the Big Ten tournament. I don't see it happening, but anything's possible.

Iowa and Ohio State are NIT bound.

Michigan (probation), Northwestern, and Penn State will be watching at home.

Seed predictions:
(3) Illinios
(4) Wisconsin
(7) Purdue
(8) Mich St.
(10) Indiana
Old 03-09-2003, 05:20 AM   #20
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

[quote]How comes Texas deserves a #1 but Kansas doesn't, even though Kansas beat Texas? Hey, I'm a longhorn fan, but I think if Texas gets a #1, Kansas gets one too. Same with Zona.[\quote]

henry already said it . . . but the committee won't use head to head. if they did, you could make a case for youngstown state being #1 from the chain of team a beat team b who beat team c and so on. basketball doesn't work that way, no sport does. good teams lose.

the game was close, and in kansas, and texas has had the better season. right now they are one of the best 4 teams in the country, and deserve a #1 seed

and as good as carmelo anthony has been, no one is better than tj ford. isaiah thomas 2. he singlehandedly brought us back from 15 down in the second half, on the #5 teams home floor, on senior day
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 05:39 AM   #21
Havok
College Starter

I just hope my Terpies get to the sweet 16 again. If Chris Wilcox would have stayed (which would have been the smart thing to do and now he regrets going pro) we'd be repeatin!!!!

Were gonna be rebuilding a little next year but we got a couple Freshman who look every promising and he did very well recruting this year also.

Last edited by Havok : 03-09-2003 at 05:50 AM.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:40 AM   #22
digamma
Torchbearer

henry,
I was going to ask you about Penn. I think they can get a 12 seed if they beat Princeton next week. Hopefully they will win a game or two to represent the Ivies well. Harvard will have to settle for the women's title again (though we could get as high as a 12 in that bracket). The men's team has still finished no higher than 3rd in the Ivies, ever.

I actually think Wake Forest can get the 4th number one if they win the ACC tournament and Texas and Kentucky win their respective conference tournaments. Syracuse would have a shot at it as well.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:55 AM   #23
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by digamma

I actually think Wake Forest can get the 4th number one if they win the ACC tournament and Texas and Kentucky win their respective conference tournaments. Syracuse would have a shot at it as well.

I don't think Wake has the resume of a #1 seed. As long as an Oklahoma/Kansas/Florida make their conference finals, even if they lose to Texas/Kentucky, I think one of them gets the #1 seed, even if Syracuse and/or Wake Forest win their conference tourneys.

Syracuse might have a shot at a #1 if there are a bunch of big 12 upsets.

IMO, if the ACC comes otu of the ACC tournament with a dominant tournament winner, they can get a #2 seed, but it's still quite possible no ACC team gets above a #3.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:37 AM   #24
cheese
n00b

dacman, i also hope that Illinois gets deep into the tourney, but i'm a little worried about their experience. dee brown and deron williams are both freshman in the backcourt, and james augustine ( another freshman) get lots of minutes and sometimes starts. then again, experience hasn't been too much of a problem in the past this season, and they do have Cook, so hopefully that'll be enough.
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:08 AM   #25
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Love Big East Talk:

Syracuse - easily the top BE team. Anthony is the best player in the conference. If they sweep through NY - a 2 seed. If not 3.

Pittsburgh - overrated maybe, but still very dangerous. 3 seed.

Notre Dame - peaked to early - 5 seed.

Connecticut - could lose by 30 in the first round or could go to the Elite 8. Seed dependent on NY. 7-10 seed.

BC - as of right now, still in. Won't do much anyway. 11-12 seed.

Big East Tourney Sleeper - Georgetown.

This year more then ever it's a total crapshoot. Plus, there isn't going to be one team that doesn't get in that can make a legitimate case. If NC State, Texas Tech and Alabama don't get in - they don't deserve to be in anyway.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 11:26 AM   #26
korme
Go Reds

If the Bearcats lose to UAB and get out of the conference tourney fast, I am not sure if they will make the tourney . Damn C-USA getting all tough. I don't like it at all.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:16 PM   #27
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

IF Illinois stays consistant they could be real contenders. But if they don't then they are screwed.

I think that the MVC will send at least two teams. I think Creighton and SIU might get bids even if they don't win the conference tourney.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:28 PM   #28
Craptacular
College Starter

I think the Big XII teams' seeds will depend on the conference tourney. Assuming Kansas beats Missouri, they are the outright Big XII champions.

RPI as of Mar 2:
1. Arizona
2. Kentucky
3. Texas
4. Oklahoma
5. Florida
6. Georgia
7. Marquette
8. Kansas
9. Syracuse
10. Notre Dame

Kansas plays Missouri (18-8) and beat Texas Tech (16-11)
Texas beat Kansas St (13-16) and Oklahoma (21-6)
Oklahoma beat Nebraska (11-18) and lost to Texas (22-5).

Florida may drop after losing to Georgia and Kentucky ... two damn good teams, but 2 losses nonetheless. The RPI is 50% SOS though, and theirs will move way up from #51.

Sorry Georgia, you have 8 losses, and ain't getting a #1 seed even if you win the SEC tourney.

Kansas could pass Marquette in this week's RPI.

Arizona and Kentucky are pretty much locks for #1 seeds. If Kansas wins the Big XII tourney as well, I don't think you could take Texas as a #1 and not Kansas (although I could see BOTH as #1s, especially if they meet in the Big XII finals).

Oklahoma, Florida, Marquette, and Syracuse all need to win their tourneys and get some help.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:19 PM   #29
thesurreallife
n00b

Updated RPI

http://teamrankings.com/ncb/8powerratings.php3
Old 03-09-2003, 01:54 PM   #30
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone still think Pitt is deserving a number 1 seed?

Vilinova had 7 dressed players and almost beat them.

Pitt is the most overrated team in the country.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:57 PM   #31
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by thesurreallife
Updated RPI

http://teamrankings.com/ncb/8powerratings.php3

Too bad it doesn't include today's Georgia, Kansas, and Syracuse games.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:57 PM   #32
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Time to take a look at the most underrated conference in America, the MAC:

It looks doubtful that the MAC will get more than one team in the tournament. The only way I can see the MAC getting an at-large bid is if my alma mater, Central Michigan, loses in the conference championship game. Even then it may still be a longshot. However the Chippewas will be the strong favorite going into the conference tournament having won the regular season in an often dominating manner. Kent State rebounded after making the Elite Eight and losing a coach, winning the East Division. But as usual parity rules in the MAC and I wouldn't be surprised if anybody with the exception of Buffalo made a run through to the final. A couple teams such as Akron and Eastern Michigan are hot right now and could pull off a couple upsets. In the end, though, I think we'll see the Chippewas edge past the Red Hawks of Miami and cruise into the NCAA's (gee who could have seen that prediction coming ). Regardless of who goes, though, there is a heavy chance that they will pull off an upset or two, especially if they come out of that always-dangerous 12 seed, which looks likely.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:38 PM   #33
thesurreallife
n00b

teamrankings.com updates every night so they are more up to date than the others. Hopefully they will update soon.
I am anxious to see the changes now
Old 03-09-2003, 04:15 PM   #34
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Lets look at Kansas OU and Texas, and see who they lost too this year.

OU
Alabama
Mississippi St.
Oklahoma st.
Texas
Missouri
Texas

Texas
Notre Dame
Arizona
Kansas
Colorado
Oklahoma State

Kansas
North Carolina
Florida
Oregon
Colorado
Arizona
Oklahoma

Now then lets look at the losses, and where these teams are at now.

OU
Alabama - Unranked in ethier poll. They are 17-10
Mississippi St. - Ranked 21 in coaches poll, and 23 in AP 18-7 record
Oklahoma St. - Ranked 18 in the Coaches Poll and 20 in the AP
Missouri - Recived votes in both polls 18-8 record.

Texas
Notre Dame - 16th in coaches poll and AP poll a 21-7 record.
Colorado - Not in the AP or Coaches poll 19-10 record.

Kansas
North Carolina - 15-14 Team
Oregon - Recieved a few votes in both polls, around 33rd if it was extended. 20-9 record. middle of their conference.

Ou has lost to 1 unranked team, 3 teams ranked 15+ and 2 teams ranked top ten

Texas has lost to 1 unranked team 2 teams ranked 15+ and 2 teams ranked Top ten

Kansas has lost to 1 unranked team, 1 team ranked 25+ and 3 teams in the top 10

Lets also look at the record for each school at the time they played them.

OU
Top 5 record
1-1
Top 10 record
1-2
Top 25 record
4-5
Unranked Record
17-1

Texas
Top 5 record
2-1
Top Ten Record
3-2
Top Twenty 25 Record
5-2
Unranked record
17-3

Kansas
Top 5 Record
1-2
Top 10 Record
1-4
Top 25 Record
4-4
Unranked Record
20-2

Now looking at the whole data, Ou has faired okay in their two top 5 games and are 1-1, Texas has the best record at 2-1 andKansas has played poorly against top 10 teams, only beating Texas.

When it comes to top 25 teams OU has a 4-5 record, Texas has the best record at 5-2 and kansas has a 4-4 record.

Now Ou does have the best record against unranked teams, finishing 17-1, Texas has the worst record finshing 17-3 and kansas has finished 20-2.

One last bit of data, in the top 25 polls Ou has never been lower than 10. Texas has never been lower than 10, only kansas has been out of the top ten, and spent 12 weeks ranked 10th or higher.

So what does all this data mean? A whole lot of nothing if ya ask me. There is no clearcut team that is heads and shoulders above the rest to get one of those number 1 spots. If the tournament started tomorrow, I would have to say that Texas would get my vote for one of the number 1 seeds. They have beat more quality teams, and lost to less quality teams. Even though they lost too 3 teams that were ranked at the time, two of them have proved they are pretty decent ballclubs. On the other hand kansas lost too a team that barely finished with a winning record, and probably needs a miracle to make the tournament. Ou is a strong contender, and had they beaten Texas, I would have picked them instead.

One thing that remains to be seen, is how these teams fair in the big12 tournament. 2 years in a row OU has won the tournament. Look for a possible 3rd texas-ou game in the semifinals, and a kansas-texas or Ou final. I think whoever goes deepest into the tournament should get the number 1 seed.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:56 PM   #35
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I agree, I think if one of UT, KU, or OU win the Big 12 they will be a #1 seed.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:02 PM   #36
Vince
Pro Starter

How 'bout them Gauchos?

Big West Analysis: ()

Gauchos win the tournament, go dancing. Slated to be a 15 seed by ESPN last week, a three game win streak and solid play might move the Gauchos up to a 13 seed, but either way they will be hard pressed to pull an upset. But for a team that was still in the game against Arizona with a minute to play last year, anything is possible.

They clinched the Big West title outright yesterday, and they have a really good chance of making it through the Big West tournament, so I think my Gauchos will make the tournament for the second straight year. Whether or not we upset someone...that I'll just hope for.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:06 PM   #37
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

It just depends on who they draw. If I am 14 or 15 seed, im looking to draw Pitt. Its obvious they have weak links and can get beat early.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:06 PM   #38
Radii
Head Coach

totally unrelated to the tournament itself but I don't relaly wanna start a new thread.

HOW BOUT THEM TAR HEELS. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.

Old 03-09-2003, 07:10 PM   #39
Vince
Pro Starter

Well, to tell you the truth, the other team that looks to get a decent to good seed that I think could be ousted early is Louisville. They have been ridiculously inconsistent the last few weeks, and I think that an emotional Gaucho squad coming off success in the Big West tourney and looking for revenge for the almost-upset of Arizona last year can knock them off.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:37 PM   #40
mrushh
High School Varsity

HF P, real men may not watch Women Hoops, but TCU Lady Frogs won C-USA Tournament today (on ESPN2) to make the Women's 64 bracket.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:58 PM   #41
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

The University Wisconsin-Milwaukee Panthers may be the next team to get to the big dance. Woo-hoo. They lead Butler 38-20 at the half.

I realize that no one cares about this team, but it will be the first time that the Panthers will be in the NCAAs.

Go Panthers!

Edit: They win it! Alright Panthers!

Last edited by SplitPersonality1 : 03-11-2003 at 08:09 PM.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:15 PM   #42
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

A tournament without the Gonzaga Bulldogs??

Who knows right now they are on the bubble after being upsetted by San Diego. Personally, I don't think they get in as their biggest win was against Utah.

Another team that has a shot at receiving an automatic bid to the tourney are the Valporaiso Crusaders. They still have to knock off IUPUI. But, they have a complete team lead by Wayne Gomes and the new Coach Drew.

Out of the Big Ten I really like Wisconsin coached by Bo Ryan. They may be one of the surprise Elite 8 teams. They are so fundamentally sound on defense they are almost as good as Kentucky on defense.
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:29 PM   #43
wade moore
lolzcat

I can't wait to see who UNC-W upsets this year..

Of course, I'm marking out for the CAA where my W&M Tribe hail from.. but man.. to see Brett Blizzard in person.. when he wants to, he can hit from anywhere under any defense.. it's amazing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:06 AM   #44
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SplitPersonality1
The University Wisconsin-Milwaukee ...

I realize that no one cares about this team, but it will be the first time that the Panthers will be in the NCAAs.

Now all I need is a 4th team for my Final 4 picks and I'm set. How about Utah or St Louis? Then we can at least have an ex-Badger or Marquette coach.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:13 AM   #45
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Who is your Final Four?
Old 03-12-2003, 12:26 AM   #46
Craptacular
College Starter

Marquette
Wisconsin
Wisconsin - Milwaukee
TBA

Of course, a Ronco Food Dehydrator infomercial would get higher national ratings than that Final 4.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:29 AM   #47
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

The Big Dance??

Hey it's all about the Troy State University Trojans & the Atlantic Sun Conference!!!

Also, on a much more important note, look for the 21-11 Golden Knights of the University of Central Florida to grab an NIT Bid for the A-Sun as well..

It's all about the Atlantic Sun Baby!!!

Last edited by MylesKnight : 03-12-2003 at 12:29 AM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:50 AM   #48
JeeberD
General Manager

UTEP (6-22) took their first step towards the NCAA tournament tonight be beating San Jose St in the WAC tournament play-in game tonight...

They will beat #1 seed Tulsa in their next game and wind up winning the WAC tournament. They'll make it into the Big Dance as a #16 seed and make history by being the first sixteen seed to win a game. They will then sweep through the tournament and make history again my becoming the first NCAA champion to have a losing record!

Well, a man can dream, can't he???

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:54 AM   #49
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Hey Jeeber, just look at it this way...

...One Down... and Nine to go for the Miners!!

Hey, if you have some inside info go ahead and put some $$ down on UTEP.. Word is a $5 bet on the Miners to win the whole thing would pay enough to buy the Yankees from Steinbrenner.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 03-12-2003 at 12:56 AM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 07:45 AM   #50
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, now that is alot of money.