Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

"Deal With It"

I guess that's SkyDog's response to subforums cluttering up the dynasty forum. When it's something he approves of, there you go. When it's Ww, nope, better get them their own forum.

So, Ben, your posts count in the One and Dones?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ahem. Ben, could you at least move the One and Dones Private forum OUT of the dynasty forum. There's no need for 15 private forums to take up the whole screen BEFORE we get to the things that we CAN see?
Old 12-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

SD with vBulletin is rapidly become like Daivd Wniters try to code a football game.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

what the hell is that one and done crap anyway?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
SD with vBulletin is rapidly become like Daivd Wniters try to code a football game.

Hah!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
what the hell is that one and done crap anyway?
It's a single player challenge that Quiksand suggested where people all take the same universe file compile the best possible team using the rookie class and compare results.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 12-24-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Does this really surprise anyone?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Deal with it? That little 11 year old beauty queen on Kid Nation that no one likes says that all the time.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Deal with it? That little 11 year old beauty queen on Kid Nation that no one likes says that all the time.
That was my first response too. I was wondering why we were getting a new Kid Nation thread at this point in time .
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
MJ4H
Coordinator

And this is worth raping the entire dynasty forum layout (and forum front page, incidentally) over? Weird.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #11
Joe
Pro Starter

can they not be hidden??
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
It's a single player challenge that Quiksand suggested where people all take the same universe file compile the best possible team using the rookie class and compare results.

Hmm, actually, that's a neat idea.

Despite starting this thread, I don't really mind those threads. I just wanted to protest SkyDog's handling of a poster who objected to the forums in the dynasty forum, and the hypocrisy between how this was set up and how WW was dealt with.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-24-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #13
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Ugh
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #14
Galaxy
Coordinator

Talk about making the forums look crappy lately with the changes.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-24-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #15
Calis
College Starter

So why do they each need their own forum? Private on top of that?

I don't particularly care either way, just curious as it does stick out pretty badly now.

It seems like a subforum could be made in dynasty forum with all that crap under it, or subforums to subforums if that's possible. I have no idea though.

Last edited by Calis : 12-24-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #16
Coder
College Prospect

Where's the regular Dynasty Forum? Can't find it.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #17
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
It seems like a subforum could be made in dynasty forum with all that crap under it, or subforums to subforums if that's possible. I have no idea though.

I think that's what he did, but for some reason you see the sub-forum and the sub-forum's sub-forums from the dynasty forum.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #18
molson
General Manager

I don't think it's a big deal at all, but it gets life of it's own when threads start getting locked (like what happened over in the dynasty forum).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #19
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't think it's a big deal at all, but it gets life of it's own when threads start getting locked (like what happened over in the dynasty forum).

By itself, it's not a big deal, but it's another little annoyance in what has seemed like a series of added little annoyances to the forum.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #20
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The only thing I don't understand is why I can't look at the subforums over there. It doesn't let me go into any of them?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #21
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
The only thing I don't understand is why I can't look at the subforums over there. It doesn't let me go into any of them?

You can't view any of the challenge participaters forums because it's to prevent everyone playing from looking at their competitors and thus gaining an advantage. Everyone's threads will be available to view on Jan. 15
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #22
molson
General Manager

It looks like the same amount of dynasty threads are viewable (depending on your settings). And in the main forum index, the "last post" still shows the last real dynasty post (not the new challenge stuff). It would have been slightly annoying if that had not been the case, since it's nice to be bumped to "last post" status when you update your dynasty, but here, you just have to scroll down. It's really not a big deal.

I think we just like small government at FOFC. When we notice the government (the mod), it's automatically a bad thing, no matter how little it actually impacts us. How many people upset about this even use the dynasty forum?

Last edited by molson : 12-24-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think we just like small government at FOFC. When we notice the government (the mod), it's automatically a bad thing, no matter how little it actually impacts us. How many people upset about this even use the dynasty forum?

You're probably generally right, but at least with me specifically, I don't really mind the threads or "big government" at FOFC. I just don't like the arbitrary and selective abuse of power, and to an extent, the manner in which it is exerted in this particular case. I wouldn't have even started this thread if SD had been a little more diplomatic in his response to almighty in that forum.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #24
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

What SD wants, SD gets. He is not even the reason most people found this place. He did not build the community himself. His philosophy is "deal with it" or go elsewhere. It does not matter how stupid something is that he does.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #25
Passacaglia
Coordinator

You guys can delete my forum or whatever, if it's really clogging things up. All it has so far is my exploits in trying to extract the file properly. Thrilling.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #26
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I wouldn't have even started this thread if SD had been a little more diplomatic in his response to almighty in that forum.

I definitely think he could improve in that area. I think he's been great for FOFC, but his tone on this stuff sometimes builds it up into a bigger deal than it is.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:20 PM   #27
Ragone
Pro Rookie

get over it!
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #28
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
It looks like the same amount of dynasty threads are viewable (depending on your settings). And in the main forum index, the "last post" still shows the last real dynasty post (not the new challenge stuff). It would have been slightly annoying if that had not been the case, since it's nice to be bumped to "last post" status when you update your dynasty, but here, you just have to scroll down. It's really not a big deal.

Well I just started one today, and it is much harder for people to notice now.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #29
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post

get over it!

you play... to win... the game!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #30
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Well I just started one today, and it is much harder for people to notice now.

And I just noticed that when the last post is a "private" post, it just says "private" in the index, not the latest dynasty thread. So think that will cut traffic somewhat, but still, I really could care less.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
You can't view any of the challenge participaters forums because it's to prevent everyone playing from looking at their competitors and thus gaining an advantage. Everyone's threads will be available to view on Jan. 15

so it's some sort of competition?? is there a prize??

if not what's the big deal?? people are going to cheat for what...bragging rights about a text-sim?? whoopdie-fucking-doo
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #32
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I really could care less.

Why don't you?
Old 12-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #33
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Why don't you?

Anyone who actually visits the dynasty forum shouldn't be troubled by scrolling down one page.

The only practical impact is, like I said, that the "latest post" on the forum index. I have a handful of loyal readers of my dynasty and I feel like that's one the main ways they know the dynasty has been updated. But there ain't nothing I can do about that, and it doesn't effect my life in a negative way, so I'm not going to care.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #34
Coder
College Prospect

I just realized the regular posts where just a scroll down away.. Still.. Something's wrong with this version of vBulletin if you can't have the subforums of the subforum hidden. I've seen plenty of vBulletin forums where this works just fine. There's no need to have every damn subforum visible like that.

On a final note.. it would have made a lot more sense to put the whole thing in it's own branch rather than putting it under the Dynasty-branch.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #35
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
And in the main forum index, the "last post" still shows the last real dynasty post (not the new challenge stuff).

This is not true, at least for me.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #36
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
On a final note.. it would have made a lot more sense to put the whole thing in it's own branch rather than putting it under the Dynasty-branch.

I'm agree. I'm actually amazed that a college-educated person thought to do it this way, instead of going with the obvious solution...

knives out
Old 12-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #37
Raiders Army
Coordinator

This post counts.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #38
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

This seems like a really good time for me to complain about the useless PC/Console Game Forum for my 50th time.

Last edited by Cringer : 12-24-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #39
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
This seems like a really good time for me to complain about the useless PC/Console Game Forum for my 50th time.

That shit's still around? Wow.

The OT/FOF split was hugely controversial at first but proved to be a good idea. I think the overall setup of the board now makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:13 PM   #40
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Why couldn't they be sub-forums of the FOF forum where stuff like that belongs?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #41
st.cronin
General Manager

When the Werewolf forum was created, Skydog claimed it took him some very short period of time, like a minute or something. I would urge him to do the same now, because it doesn't work as a sub-forum of the dynasty forum.

knives out
Old 12-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #42
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I can understand having to live with a screwed-up front page or dynasty section because its either the best that can be done or the only way to accomodate the effort.

But leaving FOFC looking like shit because your either too lazy to get it right or to full of yourself to care is bush league, Daivd Winter style.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #43
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Not to actually defend SkyDog or anything like that, but Daivd comparisons seem a little bit of a stretch. Or apples and oranges, pears and tangerines, huckleberries and pineapples, you pick your different fruits....
Old 12-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #44
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I spend most of my time reading the dynasty section.. deal with it doesn't seem at all appropriate. It looks terrible, it inhibits ease of use. It has nothing to do with anybody who actually uses the dynasty section. Great idea, but please hide/put it somewhere else.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #45
Ryan S
Quarterback

The dynasty forum should look a little tidier now.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post

It's downright f'n amazing what can happen when someone who knows WTF they're doing spends a few minutes with something
Old 12-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't know what's worse.....starting a "bash skydog thread" on christmas eve, or starting one on his birthday. Festivus was the 23rd, at least then was the appropriate time to air grievances.

Last edited by stevew : 12-24-2007 at 09:53 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:54 PM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

nice tidy job ryans, really cleaned up the place nicely.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #49
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post

Nice work.

knives out
Old 12-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #50
miami_fan
Coordinator

Damn I missed all the fun
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote