Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Running programs from a USB Drive

I'm not sure whether to post this in the FOF Discussions or not since it seems like the auto-post to this forum is gone. Have any of you ever used one of those USB drives that you can put programs on? If so, would it be possible to put FOF on it? I would guess that at even 4 GB it would fill up pretty fast but you would be able to play anywhere.

By the same token, is it possible to put programs on a portable hard drive? I just got the 160 GB WD portable hard drive at Best Buy for $70 so I was thinking that I could put FOF or other programs on it and run games at work.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The answer is: it depends

Most software writes entries to the local registry on the computer when it is installed. So even though you bring the executables with you, the other computer won't know what to do with them. The way to address this is to also install the app on the other computer, and point to the portable drive as the install location.

But, bottom line, most stuff isn't going to run if you just plug the portable drive into another computer.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-11-2007 at 08:50 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Gotcha. I found some stuff on portableapps.com. It's pretty cool and has texas hold em and sudoku that you can run from your USB drive. Also saw something called thin-something.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And then there's the however-the-hell-it-works stuff like my local technician is offering now
http://www.batesoft.net/portable/
Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
Raiders Army
Coordinator

That's crazy.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I would think your speed would be the biggest concern in running stuff off of a USB drive as SATA is 5-10x faster than USB2 and even IDE is more than 2x as fast as USB 2. Considering heading out to storage is already the biggest bottleneck in most stuff (being as disk operations are 100x+ slower than memory and another order of magnitud slower than cpu), you will see some really significant slowdowns running stuff off of an external disk.

It's decent for backup storage of files, but disk access is going to absolutely kill anything you're trying to run.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:52 AM   #7
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

I think you could install it to your usb drive, but doubt you could not take it to another computer and run it because of eLicense. (unless you installed it on that computer too.)

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis

Last edited by Surtt : 12-12-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote