Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

MLB 08: The Show.........

Oh yeah, it's back. Filthy baseball goodness. My personal wish list need is finally in: Online leagues. ***drool***

Here's the feature listing.......

Quote:
Road to The Show 2.0 – To deliver the closest experience possible, next to actually trying to make it in the Majors, MLB 08 THE SHOW introduces a more immersive Road to The Show mode. As gamers attempt to make a starting line-up in the Big Leagues, playing on both offense and defense from a custom-created player's perspective, a more robust dynamic goal system and a new career advancement system will determine when a player is eligible for a promotion. Now, advancement goals related to the player's attribute target level will be provided to get the player to that next level and those goals are based on the player's attribute level and statistical performance. Also, Road to The Show 2.0 adds a new statistics screen that will display a player's current seasons' statistics. Additionally, custom-created players are more interactive. As a position player, gamers will be able to further adjust that players positioning, catchers will occur more defense situations, and pitcher's will now experience mound visits with user interaction – all making Road to The Show mode even more realistic.

Progressive Batting Performance – Progressive Batting Performance is a feature designed to both reward players for superior performance and penalizes them for hitting slumps. Specific to each individual batter, the players will be rewarded with slight contact bonuses for each batter that performs beyond his "natural ability" while under user control. Conversely, the user will be punished with slight decreases in contact for each batter that performs below his "natural ability".

Replay Vault – With the new Replay Vault, gamers can now go back to that spectacular diving, behind the back double play from the first inning and show their friends. Replays are available from any part of the game from any inning within that game.

Post Game/In Game Pitcher and Batter Analysis – Stats and match-up analysis' are a baseball fan's dream! The Pitch Analysis is a breakdown of all the pitches thrown during the current game being played. Gamers will be able sort by pitcher, LHB or RHB, Pitch type and result. This feature is also available for Batters, and the batter analysis allows for a breakdown of how a batter has performed based on LHP or RHP, Pitch Type and the result.

Pitch Grips – Adding ore authenticity, MLB 08 THE SHOW details the different pitch grips and arm angles that a pitcher has when throwing each pitch. Showing these details in Replay Mode will further enhance the look of the game. 18 different pitch types total! (Four-Seam Fastball, Two-Seam Fastball, Cut Fastball, Split-Fingered Fastball, Curveball, Slider, Sinker, Slurve, Change-Up, Circle Change, Knuckleball, Palmball, Forkball, Knuckle-Curve, Screwball, 10-4 Curve, 12-6 Curve & Gyro).

Crowd Interaction – With the power of the PS3, the MLB franchise is set introduce subtle elements of baseball that, quite simply, couldn't be done on another platform. A big part of baseball is in the ambiance of the game – having realistic stadiums is mandatory, but the crowd also plays a big part in the overall atmosphere. Gamers will see a vast array of new ambient elements including: fans coming, going and reaching for foul balls, vendors, 7th inning stretch, the wave, standing ovations, dynamic crown actions like hanging K's, and much, much more. These new subtleties make MLB 08 THE SHOW truly feel like a day at the ballpark.

MLB My Music – Ever wanted to make your own video game soundtrack? With MLB 08 THE SHOW for the PS3 and PSP® gamers will be able to take the music that they have stored on their PS3 HDD and add to the list of music played in the Juke Box.

SCOUT [SportsConnect Online User Tracking] – If you've ever had a difficult time finding an opponent that wants to play online with the same gameplay setting as you, this is your feature. SCOUT allows gamers to set their game preferences, stores them on the server, and then allows the system to look for a Quick Match with an opponent that fits their criteria.

In-Game MLB Live Scores – Using our new top of the screen Score Bar display, gamers will get updates on what is going on in the Majors. Along with scores and inning, gamers will also see notables, such as HR's, complete games, etc.

Online League Play – MLB 08 THE SHOW provides today's sports fanatics with the ability to set up leagues with anywhere from 6-30 teams with full stat tracking, point benefits and rewards. Gamers can customize the league including choosing players, teams, length of schedule and much more. (Note: There are no cross platform leagues available.)

Online News Service / MLB.com Headline News – Sports fanatics can receive all the current happenings in sports today. Information will be updated a few times each hour with news, trades and events from 31 different feeds, each containing 25 unique items. Users can select general MLB® headlines or updates from all 30 teams instantly. New for 07, MLB 08 THE SHOW offers an enhanced Live MLB Ticker, which shows live status of all MLB games going on around the league – with updates several times a minute. This new view will be complete with who is on base, pitching, batting, on-deck and full inning-by-inning box scores.

Rivalry Mode – For those with a competitive nature, Rivalry Mode allows baseball fans to set up and maintain multi-game rivalries between multiple gamers or versus the Artificial Intelligence (AI), and keeps track of the stats throughout the rivalry.

Franchise Mode – Extending the experience of running a team, performance and player morale are tracked on virtually every level – salary, playing time, batting slot, team performance, and much more.

Career Mode – The Career Spotlight underscores all of the accomplishments and failures during a career and showcases them in the limelight. Gamers still need to call the shots, but now the ramifications of actions are documented.

Season Mode – Grind out the162 game season and deal with day-to-day match-ups, refining the lineup and play for the championship just like the pros.

All-Star Game – Lets gamers take the virtual road trip to San Francisco early to see who prevails for home field advantage in the 2007 Fall Classic.

Multi-Branch Fielding – Branch Point Technology goes to a new level as gamers you can now take full control of fielders and break out of any animation in the process. Change a fielding decision and branch out of any animation after the first branch point. With Branch Point Technology, MLB 08 THE SHOW provides unbelievably smooth, fluid transitions for seamless double plays and relays.

PlayMaker Fielding – The fielding interface brings the player attributes together with the user's skill level. With the Fielding Zone Marker, the fielder's fielding attribute rating will determine the size of the zone that surrounds the ball and its eventual landing location. With highly ranked fielders, the ball marker will be displayed sooner and smaller, making it easier to judge fly balls.

Adaptive Pitching Intelligence (API) – Catchers will call the game based on individual strengths and weaknesses of each pitcher and analyze tendencies of batters. Gamers will have the ability to trust the pitches called by the catcher or shake them off. (The catcher's recommendations are based off of thousands of actual MLB® stats.)

Pitch Command System (PCS) – Delivering unsurpassed authenticity and strategy to pitch selection, a pitcher's "pitch comfort" will be predetermined based on a best to worst pitch scenario. It's up the gamer to decide if they should try to "work on a pitch" or just go with what's working. The more a player works on a pitch, the better it becomes, and the more a gamer neglects a pitch, the harder it becomes to work the zone.

Release Point Pitching – Taking video game pitching to a whole new level, gamers must utilize a timing mechanism to learn and realize each pitchers pace and release point, which varies from pitcher to pitcher.

Pitching Confidence Meter – The ultimate pitcher/batter interface returns. Additionally, Pitcher Confidence plays a role in a gamer's ability to hit release points in the all-new pitch meter, while frequency of mistakes will impact the confidence level of a gamer's hurler, making it more difficult to paint the corners of the strike zone.

Guess Pitch – Baseball fans can attempt to master the ability to knock one out or hit the grounder to advance the runner by checking the pitch history and correctly guessing which pitch and the location that the pitcher will throw next. If the correct pitch is selected, the power attribute is increased in attempts to leave the yard in a hurry.

40-Man Roster – Provides the ability to take full control of a team's roster and manage all 40 players for each and every game.

My Sliders (Up/Downloadable) – The My Sliders option gives users the ability to create their perfect game settings offline by adjusting game sliders. Gamers can then save these adjustments to memory and, when online, upload to them to the MLB 08 THE SHOW server for other users to try and let the online community be the judge on finding the perfect game.

MLB® Player Motion Captures – MLB 08 THE SHOW features dozens of professional athletes including David Wright, David Ortiz, Eric Chavez, Roger Clemens, Shawn Green, Tony Gwynn, Trevor Hoffman, Tim Hudson, Darryl Hamilton, Troy Percival, Brett Tomko, Mo Vaughn and more.

Thousands of Personalized Animations – Authenticity: featuring personalized player animations for everything from walk-ups, rituals, stances and swings and even emotions.

New Umpire Personalities – Providing even more realism to the diamond, MLB 08 THE SHOW features umpires with unique tendencies and animations. Each umpire will have his own definition of the strike zone, and it's up to the gamer to figure out if the umpire is calling the zone high, low, or giving the corners.

Managers / Coaches – MLB® managers and coaches will be on the field calling the shots.

MLB Authenticity, Subtleties & Nuances – MLB 08 THE SHOW features drag bunts, wild pitches, broken bats, check swings, off-line throws and much more.

Wind Effects – MLB 08 THE SHOW features a wind display showing wind speed and direction. Depending upon the severity of the wind, the ball will drift according to the speed and direction. Wind effects will force the player to take the proper route to the ball and make adjustments on the fly.

3-Man Booth & Progressive Commentary – Rex Hudler, Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell provide the most comprehensive commentary heard in any baseball videogame. MLB 08 THE SHOW sets the bar high with the Progressive Commentary that changes as the user progresses throughout the game by adapting to current actions and situations.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
TroyF
Coordinator

The progressive batting thing is something that'll have to be "just" right or it could be a horrible feature.

Everything else looks good to me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I picked up 07 for my PSP. I love it and this version sounds even better.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
korme
Go Reds

Nice, 40 man rosters.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

I stopped playing the 07 version (and sold my PSP and the game) when my dominant 20 year old closer kept getting sent down to the minors despite not struggling at all, where I would end up not getting used. When you have a game that forces you to do things (i.e. not like Madden where if the computer doesn't think I should be starting my rookie RB, I still can), that's a killer to me. Hopefully that's fixed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
MLB® Player Motion Captures – MLB 08 THE SHOW features dozens of professional athletes including David Wright, David Ortiz, Eric Chavez, Roger Clemens, Shawn Green, Tony Gwynn, Trevor Hoffman, Tim Hudson, Darryl Hamilton, Troy Percival, Brett Tomko, Mo Vaughn and more.

Interesting selection of names. Ok, Vaughn was a star for awhile, but Darryl Hamilton and Tomko?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

Brett Tomko is about to be 2008 Cy Young winner when he signs with the Reds again

(and if we set our ootp universe to dead ball era for games he pitches)
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I stopped playing the 07 version (and sold my PSP and the game) when my dominant 20 year old closer kept getting sent down to the minors despite not struggling at all, where I would end up not getting used. When you have a game that forces you to do things (i.e. not like Madden where if the computer doesn't think I should be starting my rookie RB, I still can), that's a killer to me. Hopefully that's fixed.

I had the problem last year. I think I wrote about it in the MLB: 07 thread. My problem was even worse than yours. I was a hot shot power hitter tearing up the league. I was destroying AAA pitching and got called up to The Show. I was called up in the middle of June. I got three at bats my first game. Then I sat. And sat. And sat. And sat.

I was went back down to the minors in the middle of August. My MLB totals were 3 at bats and two pinch running appearences. Essentially, most of my year was wasted.

I spent a lot of time to get to that level and the experience really sapped my enjoyment of the game as a whole. I tried to get back into it, but i had a tough time.

I realize this just may be me nitpicking and I didn't bash the game, but it really took away from my enjoyement factor of it.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
Logan
Head Coach

Yep, I remember your posts Troy and remember your slugger...I discussed my frustration in there as well. It didn't make any sense at all. If I had the occassional bad appearance, and my team was in the playoff hunt and wanted to go with a more "seasoned" closer, I could understand that (even though a fireballer with a sub-2.00 ERA is still nice to have in a set-up role). But that wasn't the case as I was playing with the Marlins.

I agree in that it killed my interest in the game, since there is literally nothing you could do to correct that problem. What added to the frustration is that I had such a good time getting to the point of where I was dominating in the bigs at such an early age.

Last edited by Logan : 12-11-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #10
TroyF
Coordinator

Yup, I agree. I'd rather hit bug after bug after bug after bug within the first 20 minutes of playing the game.

I think it took me 3 "game years" and probably 10-12 hours of play to get to the point where my player wasn't allowed to develop because the game decided to sit a 21 year old superstar prospect for 3+ months.

Why the heck would I want to spend another 10-12 to watch it happen again?

It really was enjoyable getting to that point though. I actually thought the previous years game was better in a lot of areas, but it was solid. NBA2K and College Hoops2K are the sports games I consistently play at this point. I hope a football or baseball game crack into the fold next year.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Are there any 2kgames for PSP?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

They have REALLY ramped up the graphical side of things. The ONLY game I wish I had a ps3 for.

C'mon MLB 2k8!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

They have REALLY ramped up the graphical side of things. The ONLY game I wish I had a ps3 for.

C'mon MLB 2k8!

I almost bought a PS3 for this very game. I took the cheap way out and got a PSP instead. Well I should say my wife and daughter bought it for me for xmas.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

You could show that to 100 people and 99 would think it's a picture snapped by a photographer.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'll probably get a PS3 for this after this game comes out -- if it continues to get great reviews. Nothing like justifying a $450 baseball game
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #16
TroyF
Coordinator

That's a sweet pic.

Hope it plays as well as the pic looks.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
I almost bought a PS3 for this very game. I took the cheap way out and got a PSP instead. Well I should say my wife and daughter bought it for me for xmas.

I've had 2 psp's for this very game.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm glad my neighbor has a ps3, I might pick this one up if MLB 2k8 doesn't deliver.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just read over at OS that there will be real working out of town scoreboards as well.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
That's a sweet pic.

Hope it plays as well as the pic looks.

Yeah, I've never been one to get excited about screenshots that are released early on. They often are cleaned up quite a bit.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yeah, I've never been one to get excited about screenshots that are released early on. They often are cleaned up quite a bit.

Me either, but it's nice to see they've made some major graphical improvements.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Me either, but it's nice to see they've made some major graphical improvements.

Graphically, MLB '07 wasn't all that strong, especially when compared to MLB 2K7. I think a year of development should help them clean it up quite a bit. The RTTS mode also needed some tweaking as some other posters have mentioned. If they take care of both of those situations, it will be a great game.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #23
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Hands-on preview from Sony Gamer's Day (12-11-07):

http://loot-ninja.com/2007/12/12/han...ps3/#more-4348

Quote:
MLB 08 follows up on last year’s critically acclaimed title, MLB 07. This year’s title looks a good deal better than the 07 iteration. The development team put a great deal of enhancement into the textures, lighting engine, and facial details. The game is looking very close to a real baseball broadcast. Sony had MLB 08 side by side with MLB 07 running on identical Bravia XBR LCD’s and the difference was night and day.

The Road to the Show mode has also been enhanced this year to give you better control over your progression to the big leagues. You will have the opportunity to see what tasks will give you how much clout in moving up in your career. This carries over into the franchise mode, where playing above or below a player’s expectations will result in an increase or decrease in compensation. Have a great year with your center fielder and get a contract extension. Play like crap with your star third basemen and you might get traded. It’s little things like this that brings the game closer to reality.

The crowd has been improved since MLB 07. Not only does the lighting engine and texture improvements make the crowd look better than ever, but Sony meticulously detailed how the crowds interact with the game in each stadium. This year you’ll see “K” signs appear exactly where they would in real life in each stadium. You’ll see beach balls bouncing around the crowd and you might catch The Wave a time or two. The coolest feature, in my opinion, is real time scoreboard updates in the stadiums. The Green Monster will have scores in real time from around the league (real baseball, not what’s happening in the game). There is also a ticker running across the screen from time to time with news, stats, and updates from the internet.

MLB 08 will feature custom soundtracks on both the PS3 and PSP. If you don’t like the in-game soundtrack, you can substitute any tracks from your hard drive or memory card to play during the menus and parts of the game. There’s also a good shot at DualShock 3 support making it into the game at release on March 4, 2008. With all the improvements, I can imagine that this will easily take the title of best baseball game on the market.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #24
Icy
Pro Starter

Nice news!

As troy said, the main problem of the RTTS mode was the CPU manager decisions about you, but it sounds like that they fixed it setting up tasks both related to ratings and stats to decide your progress. In 07, the main problem is that the CPU only took on mind the ratings and not the stats, so even if you were a monster in AAA stats wise, if your ratings were not high enough for the MLB, you wouldn't be promoted, or even worse, to be promoted and demoted every other day or even sitting in the bench a full season.

If they fixed that, it could be game of the year for me as it was already my fav game both in the PSP and PS3 (tied with college hoops in the Ps3).

Last edited by Icy : 12-12-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:45 AM   #25
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The coolest feature, in my opinion, is real time scoreboard updates in the stadiums. The Green Monster will have scores in real time from around the league (real baseball, not what’s happening in the game).

I thought it was scores from YOUR franchise. /disappointed
Old 12-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #26
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I thought it was scores from YOUR franchise. /disappointed

They had both last year, but the real scores weren't displayed in the stadium. My guess is that they'll give you an option, but that's only a guess until we see more info.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #27
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Yup, I agree. I'd rather hit bug after bug after bug after bug within the first 20 minutes of playing the game.

I think it took me 3 "game years" and probably 10-12 hours of play to get to the point where my player wasn't allowed to develop because the game decided to sit a 21 year old superstar prospect for 3+ months.

Why the heck would I want to spend another 10-12 to watch it happen again?

It really was enjoyable getting to that point though. I actually thought the previous years game was better in a lot of areas, but it was solid. NBA2K and College Hoops2K are the sports games I consistently play at this point. I hope a football or baseball game crack into the fold next year.

I agree with this. Getting to the Show is fun but unfortunately unless you are prepared to play every game of your guy's career (which I have no time for, so I need to sim), I am afraid your player will never be a big star which takes a lot of the fun out of it. I had one character rip up the minors only to have his career pretty much come to a halt when I started simming, even dropping all the way back to AA.

I think the AI needs to take into account your player's stats more and less reliance on the player's ratings.
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They had both last year, but the real scores weren't displayed in the stadium. My guess is that they'll give you an option, but that's only a guess until we see more info.

I *think* I read over at OS that it didn't make the cut. I could care less about REAL scores, I want to be immersed into MY franchise.

If they didn't have them in the stadium, where did you see them?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I *think* I read over at OS that it didn't make the cut. I could care less about REAL scores, I want to be immersed into MY franchise.

If they didn't have them in the stadium, where did you see them?

They had a live ticker that would give scores on the real MLB games. I believe it was only in the pause screen, but I'd have to check at home to verify that. They also had a ticker in the menu screens. It's obvious the real MLB info was being fed into the game, but they didn't incorporate it into the actual game while you played. The scores around the 'fake' league could be checked in the pause menu.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They had a live ticker that would give scores on the real MLB games. I believe it was only in the pause screen, but I'd have to check at home to verify that. They also had a ticker in the menu screens. It's obvious the real MLB info was being fed into the game, but they didn't incorporate it into the actual game while you played. The scores around the 'fake' league could be checked in the pause menu.

They need to incorporate the "fake" scores into the stadiums.

I've also read there is no dynamic lighting.. another bummer.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #31
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Finally some video trailers for the game..........

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29326.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29325.html
Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #32
Icy
Pro Starter

Developers interview and video. The video is incredible, sometimes i think i was watching a real game in HD.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/844/844321p1.html

Now i'm dying to get this game (i did before anyway, MLB07 was the best console game for me in 2007, both in PSP and PS3). This game alone is what makes me happy about owning a PS3, specially after the EA games 30fps garbage.

This made me to reload the show 07 in the Ps3 that i have not played for like 3 months (ncaa08, nba2k8 and college hoops 08 took over) and I got amazed again with the gameplay experience. The game plays so fluid compared with the crap that madden and ncaa are in the Ps3. I'm starting a new RTTS that will keep me bussy until 08 release day.

Btw, i'm starting to get the baseball excitement in my veins, and it's a bit weird as i like way more playing baseball games (both mlb and ootp) and reading stats daily at MLB.com than actually watching a full game in TV that i find a bit boring. I love the sport stats deep, but gameplay is too slow for my taste to watch for 3 hours.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #33
Qrusher14242
High School JV

this is coming out for the ps2 right?
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:46 AM   #34
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
this is coming out for the ps2 right?

Yes, PSP, PS2 and PS3.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #35
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Developers interview and video. The video is incredible, sometimes i think i was watching a real game in HD.

Now i'm dying to get this game (i did before anyway, MLB07 was the best console game for me in 2007, both in PSP and PS3). This game alone is what makes me happy about owning a PS3, specially after the EA games 30fps garbage.

I might only buy one or two games on release day each year. This game is always one of those release day purchases.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #36
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
I might only buy one or two games on release day each year. This game is always one of those release day purchases.

Yeah I agree. I've learned through EA that a first day purchase is something that is earned (or should be) from a consumer. This one has earned it at least until MLB 2009.

With all of the "theories" and "petitions" for better gaming, smart consumer purchases are truly the only way to improve this. But then again, how will I know if a game is good if no one buys it right away!!?!?!

Good day everyone!
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #37
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Well, it's official. I "officially" asked for a PS3 for my birthday, and this is the only game I'll buy. (damn lack of BC)
how do you know?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #38
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

nifty
I skipped the 07 version, sounds like I'll be getting the 08 version, maybe even for both systems (PS3 and PSP).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #39
Icy
Pro Starter

RTTS trailer, i love it!

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/142/14223575/vids_1.html

I also asked the developer (who speaks a lot in OPS forums) if fielding does matter this year for your personal performance and he said yes, having errors or bad fielding performances will make your manager and team mates angry at you. That is great as past year fielding meant nothing.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #40
Tasan
College Starter

I'm just happy to see this coming to PSP again. Even with its flaws, I'm enjoying '07.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #41
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm hoping that a lot of this fielding stuff and sign-reading can be turned off. To have to play in AA-ball and sit there and read the 3rd base coach's signs before every pitch would probably get a bit boring.
how do you know?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #42
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
I'm just happy to see this coming to PSP again. Even with its flaws, I'm enjoying '07.

Last I saw, they were still planning on including the option to transfer your saved game between the PS3 and PSP. I'm loving that feature if it comes through.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #43
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Last I saw, they were still planning on including the option to transfer your saved game between the PS3 and PSP. I'm loving that feature if it comes through.

The developer said recently that it can't included for this year release as the PS3 version has more stats and stuff that can't fit in the PSP.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #44
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
The developer said recently that it can't included for this year release as the PS3 version has more stats and stuff that can't fit in the PSP.

Sucks. Thanks for the update.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #45
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
They need to incorporate the "fake" scores into the stadiums.

I've also read there is no dynamic lighting.. another bummer.

I thought I read that the scores from your franchise will show up on the out of town scoreboards. They said that there wouldn't be a franchise score ticker though.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #46
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Saw the first videos of MLB2K8 on ign.com and they look "ok". As to why they kept the "jello in a wind tunnel" effect for the uniforms is beyond me. It's like the developers fell in love with their new algorithm and will remove it over their dead body because they worked so hard on it. Who cares if it's realistic or not?!

Overall, the gameplay looks slow, like I felt it was last year.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 01-26-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Saw the first videos of MLB2K8 on ign.com and they look "ok". As to why they kept the "jello in a wind tunnel" effect for the uniforms is beyond me. It's like the developers fell in love with their new algorithm and will remove it over their dead body because they worked so hard on it. Who cares if it's realistic or not?!

Overall, the gameplay looks slow, like I felt it was last year.

I think they look great, but I loved last year's game. The jersey's moving in the wind are over the top at times, but I like it.

The new hitting, pitching, fielding, and running interfaces sound great as well as some of the other new additions to the game. I'm pumped and will pick this one up on release day.

This game has always been beautiful and I love the dynamic lighting, they focused on gameplay and I can't wait to see what they've been able to do.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #48
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I hope you like it, Todd, it just wasn't for me last year.
how do you know?

Old 01-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #49
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I hope you like it, Todd, it just wasn't for me last year.

It wasn't for me until the patch came out, but I do envy you ps3 owners for The Show!

Cool thing is, you ps3 owners have a choice between two games... bastards!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #50
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah, I'm hoping the game is worth it, as I have no interest (thus far) in any other PS3 software.
how do you know?