Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Official 2007-2008 College Basketball Thread

The season quickly approaches. Most of the teams have at least one exhibition game schedule in the next week with pre-season tournaments starting in less than two weeks. Here's the USA Today Top 25.......

1. North Carolina (10) 0-0 739
2. UCLA (12) 0-0 734
3. Memphis (8) 0-0 731
4. Kansas (1) 0-0 669
5. Georgetown 0-0 625
6. Louisville 0-0 620
7. Tennessee 0-0 598
8. Michigan State 0-0 503
9. Indiana 0-0 479
10. Washington State 0-0 464
11. Duke 0-0 390
12. Marquette 0-0 381
13. Oregon 0-0 360
14. Gonzaga 0-0 252
14. Texas A&M 0-0 252
16. Texas 0-0 216
17. Arizona 0-0 205
18. USC 0-0 189
19. Arkansas 0-0 173
20. Pittsburgh 0-0 160
21. Stanford 0-0 158
22. Kentucky 0-0 155
23. Southern Illinois 0-0 137
24. North Carolina State 0-0 119
25. Villanova 0-0 111

Others Recieving Votes
Kansas State 94, Syracuse 69, Ohio State 65, Clemson 56, Connecticut 55, Butler 42, Davidson 39, Xavier 38, Alabama 31, Mississippi State 30, Florida 26, Wisconsin 21, Illinois 16, Washington 12, Brigham Young 12, Nevada 8, Bradley 7, Virginia 7, Virginia Commonwealth 5, Utah 4, Baylor 3, Old Dominion 3, Saint Joseph's 3, Fresno State 2, George Mason 2, Utah State 2, Notre Dame 1, California 1, Maryland 1.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

PAC-10 got some major preseason love
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
PAC-10 got some major preseason love

I'm going to get a look at UCLA on November 19th and 20th. They're in the preseason tournament with Maryland, Michigan State and Missouri at the new Sprint Center in KC. Of course, they each have to pass their sub-regionals to get there, but they should all be able to beat those teams.

Mizzou will play Michigan State and UCLA will play Maryland the first night. The next night, the two winners will face off for the championship with the losing teams playing for 3rd place. Should be a lot of fun.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

I think its very likely that North Carolina will be better this year than last, but there are definitely questions. Wright going pro means that Hansbrough better step it up this year more than he did last year, and that some of the backup big men, who showed some skills on occasion, better be ready for the big time. The backcourt has the potential to be very, very good, the big question to me will be whether Wayne Ellington can be a consistent scoring threat, or if he's going to turn into Joe Forte with 35 points one night and 0 the next.

I'm interested to see how Memphis does with a very good non-conference schedule this year. I always look down on Memphis b/c of their weak conference schedule, I feel like it hurts them come tournament time, when UCLA, Kansas, and North Carolina are facing major tests on the road vs other top 10 teams, Memphis is playing Tulane, SMU, UTEP, etc... but Memphis looks to have really stepped up their scheduling this year.

It looks like the ACC is expected to have another down year, with only 3 teams in the preseason top 25. I haven't followed recruiting like I normally do, and have little idea what to expect there.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Memphis is going DOWN this year!

Miners open preseason against Western New Mexico tomorrow. We have a ton of new faces, including six freshmen. Should be fun to see who steps up this year...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'll be rooting for all the Aussies playing Div 1 ball this year. Got a couple of good freshmen this year too with bigman Andrew Ogilvy at Vanderbilt and PG Patrick Mills at St. Mary's, both future olympians. Ogilvy might be a pro prospect based on what he's show in u/19s international tournaments.

Aaron Bruce at Baylor and Luke Neville at Utah, both iffy pro prospects, also look set for good seasons.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Aaron Bruce at Baylor and Luke Neville at Utah, both iffy pro prospects, also look set for good seasons.

I've been able to watch Aaron Bruce play in person a few times. He's a scrappy little player and a great leader on that team. Although not at the same level of play, he reminds me a lot of Steve Nash. Just a player who does nothing but hustle.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Can't wait to see Michigan this year with John Bieline at the helm. They'll be lucky to get in the tournament but I expect a much improved, more hard working team this season. The talent just isn't up to snuff yet.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I think ND is underrated. I'd expect the Irish to finish the season in the top 25, and finish somewhere around 4th to 6th in the Big East. We're going to get hammered in tournament selection and seeding because our non-conference schedule is Boeheim-esque in its cupcakeness. Basically, I bought my ticket book for the Big East games... I'm not going to make a huge effort to get to the bodybag nonconference games (which is all of them).

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

The Miners opened up the exhibition season with a meaningless 97-46 win over Western New Mexico. PT was spread out, no one played more than 20 minutes. Two freshman (PG Randy Culpepper from Memphis and G Julyan Stone from Georgia) tied for the scoring lead with 15...

Old 11-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

I follow two totally different teams in NCAA Basketball.

1. Tennessee (High Major). Ok. It's VERY strange to see them in the pre-season top 10. I understand why, but it just seems unnatural. That being said, I have to think they slip out of the top 10 for a portion of the season. I just don't know that they have the depth needed to be that consistent.

2. College of William and Mary/CAA Basketball (Mid-Major). The CAA has been very strong the last few years with great showings in the NCAA's by George Mason and VCU. W&M has been a bottom feeder for years but finally moved towards the middle of the pack last year. I paid for my season tickets a couple of weeks ago and I'm excited about the team. It has gotten stronger, but so has the rest of the CAA. I think there is a potential for another CAA team to make some noise in the NCAA's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I follow two totally different teams in NCAA Basketball.

1. Tennessee (High Major). Ok. It's VERY strange to see them in the pre-season top 10. I understand why, but it just seems unnatural. That being said, I have to think they slip out of the top 10 for a portion of the season. I just don't know that they have the depth needed to be that consistent.

2. College of William and Mary/CAA Basketball (Mid-Major). The CAA has been very strong the last few years with great showings in the NCAA's by George Mason and VCU. W&M has been a bottom feeder for years but finally moved towards the middle of the pack last year. I paid for my season tickets a couple of weeks ago and I'm excited about the team. It has gotten stronger, but so has the rest of the CAA. I think there is a potential for another CAA team to make some noise in the NCAA's.

That reminds me. Are you (or Subby??) going to the G'town game? Email me. I want to buy tickets today if you have a definite answer. Right now I'm flying solo.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I'm interested to see how Memphis does with a very good non-conference schedule this year. I always look down on Memphis b/c of their weak conference schedule, I feel like it hurts them come tournament time, when UCLA, Kansas, and North Carolina are facing major tests on the road vs other top 10 teams, Memphis is playing Tulane, SMU, UTEP, etc... but Memphis looks to have really stepped up their scheduling this year.

Memphis was hurt last year by someone canceling them on the schedule late and Gonzaga was down quite a bit last year. The year before that they had a pretty good non-conference schedule as well.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:19 AM   #14
MrBug708
Head Coach

Football, Basketball, the Big-11 is not very good these days
Old 11-03-2007, 05:37 AM   #15
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I think the Big 10 will actually be pretty competitive this year, Michigan State and Indiana should both be very good. Illinois, Ohio State, and Wisconsin should give teams a good fight every game.

Ohio State could be a Top 15 team by the end of the season, they've got some good players returning and another good recruiting class. It all depends on Jamar Butler, does he play like he did two years ago or like last year? If he plays like he did two years ago they will be very good.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

I missed this slight the first time through the thread. I thought we were boyz, Radii?!?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #17
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I missed this slight the first time through the thread. I thought we were boyz, Radii?!?

I'm a big conference asshole when it comes to college basketball, i can't help it!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

Nothing but another BCS bully...

Old 11-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I wish KU had a bit more of a non-conference schedule. USC and Arizona are the only ranked ones on the list, after a quick glance. Considering Final Four or more is the goal for this year, we need more on that schedule.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Michigan with a brutal OOC schedule, perhaps the toughest in the Nation? (Especially considering their talent compared to top tier teams) Here it is

Radford
Brown
@ #4 Georgetown
Butler (Great Alaskan Shootout)
Eastern Washington or #10 Washington State (Great Alaskan Shootout)
Boston College (Big 10/ACC Challenge)
@ Harvard
@ #11 Duke
Oakland University
Central Michigan
@ #2 UCLA
Old 11-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #21
MJ4H
Coordinator

Very excited about Arkansas this year with new coach John Pelphrey. Not exactly proven, but he sure looks to be one of those up and coming young coaches. Players and fans around here seem to like him, and he is returning to a 40 minutes of hell style. Blasted some D2 team last night (west florida or something) by 74 points. Whee. I'm really looking for good things this season. Most excited I've been since the 90s.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #22
MrBug708
Head Coach

Season started today with Memphis winning
Old 11-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #23
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Hawaii will go .500 this year. lol thats optimistic too.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Players and fans around here seem to like him, and he is returning to a 40 minutes of hell style.

If they do return to that system, the MU/Arkansas game is going to be a track meet.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:50 AM   #25
MJ4H
Coordinator

They already have.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:54 AM   #26
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
They already have.

I understand that they're switching to that style, but it takes awhile to fully implement the system. You have to get the pieces in place to get it going as a well-oiled machine. Ask Mizzou and Tennessee fans.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #27
MJ4H
Coordinator

No, no. They pressed all 40 minutes in their opener. Trust me, it is in place.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
No, no. They pressed all 40 minutes in their opener. Trust me, it is in place.

There's a big difference between pressing a team in an exhibition/cupcake game for 40 minutes and pressing a good D-I team for 40 minutes. There's always a lot of holes in the press in that first season when you meet the better teams.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #29
Butter
Coordinator

It was fun watching Michigan State eat it at home in preseason to D-II Grand Valley State. And that was with Neitzel playing down the stretch and in OT. Neitzel is so streaky, it's hilarious to watch him when he's off.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
It was fun watching Michigan State eat it at home in preseason to D-II Grand Valley State. And that was with Neitzel playing down the stretch and in OT. Neitzel is so streaky, it's hilarious to watch him when he's off.

Yeah, I didn't think Mizzou would be able to beat Michigan State in the preseason matchup on October 19th in KC. Now I'm thinking we might have a pretty good shot. What the hell happened in that game?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #31
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yeah, I didn't think Mizzou would be able to beat Michigan State in the preseason matchup on October 19th in KC. Now I'm thinking we might have a pretty good shot. What the hell happened in that game?

Michigan State's defense, especially on the inside, was pretty bad. They were letting guys drive and no one would help over... and GVSU's big man was pretty much their go to guy late. GVSU was just tough, they wouldn't go away. Couple that with some whistle happy refereeing, and Neitzel's complete inability to hit shots down the stretch, and that was it. I was probably one of about 50 people who watched it on the Big Ten Network. I came away thinking "this is the #8 team in preseason polling?" Probably just an aberration.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #32
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA will be without All American Darren Collison for their opener. They are in fact down two guards and only have two guard on their roster right now
Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #33
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
There's a big difference between pressing a team in an exhibition/cupcake game for 40 minutes and pressing a good D-I team for 40 minutes. There's always a lot of holes in the press in that first season when you meet the better teams.

I'm aware of the differences. I'm telling you what the philosophy is planned to be for the season and that the first exhibition game was consistent with that plan.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
UCLA will be without All American Darren Collison for their opener. They are in fact down two guards and only have two guard on their roster right now

Will those guards be back for the games in KC November 19th and 20th?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #35
Groundhog
Coordinator

Interestingly enough (for me, at least) on the 24th of November when Nicholls State visit St. Mary's, there will be 8 Australians in total suited up, 5 for Nicholls State and 3 for St. Mary's.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #36
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Will those guards be back for the games in KC November 19th and 20th?

Mike Roll will not be. Neither will James Keefe (A PF). But Collison should be back by then
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #37
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ohio State lost to Findlay.

Michigan looking good in exhibition!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #38
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Big-11 is not going to be very pretty this year.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 AM   #39
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Are you counting Abdul-Hamid? He and Westbrook are available, and Shipp is going to play the 2 this year anyway. Luc can swing to the 2, also, although that's not ideal. Dragovic and Stanback can put in some minutes there, although they will be a little too tall and will struggle guarding quick twos.

Point guards, certainly. It's pretty much only Abdul-Hamid and Westbrook there right now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 AM   #40
Johnny93g
College Starter

I'm very excited for this season to begin. My football teams are a combined 1-16 this season, so I need Indiana to give me something to cheer about. Eric Gordon, Jamarcus Ellis, Jordan Crawford and Eli Holman make up a crazy good freshman class. All of them should play significant minutes this season. DJ White is back as a Big 10 player of the year candidate. Sophomore Armon Bassett will run the show after a very promising freshman season. I got high hopes this year.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 AM   #41
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Are you counting Abdul-Hamid? He and Westbrook are available, and Shipp is going to play the 2 this year anyway. Luc can swing to the 2, also, although that's not ideal. Dragovic and Stanback can put in some minutes there, although they will be a little too tall and will struggle guarding quick twos.

Point guards, certainly. It's pretty much only Abdul-Hamid and Westbrook there right now.

Tracy seems thinks that we'll see Luc and Shipp at PG for more minutes then we will Abdul. *shrugs*
Old 11-07-2007, 06:13 AM   #42
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

As a Ohio State fan but an alum of Findlay. I'm not all that shocked, Findlay has been one of the premiere programs in D2 for some time now. They should've beaten Dayton last week but got hosed at the end of the game.

This should be a good wake up call to the OSU team.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 AM   #43
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
As a Ohio State fan but an alum of Findlay. I'm not all that shocked, Findlay has been one of the premiere programs in D2 for some time now. They should've beaten Dayton last week but got hosed at the end of the game.

This should be a good wake up call to the OSU team.

As a Dayton alum, the Ohio State result makes me feel a lot better about how UD played them last week. Findlay is a tough team. This whole preseason should earn the GLIAC a lot of respect.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 AM   #44
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
I'm very excited for this season to begin. My football teams are a combined 1-16 this season, so I need Indiana to give me something to cheer about. Eric Gordon, Jamarcus Ellis, Jordan Crawford and Eli Holman make up a crazy good freshman class. All of them should play significant minutes this season. DJ White is back as a Big 10 player of the year candidate. Sophomore Armon Bassett will run the show after a very promising freshman season. I got high hopes this year.

Wait a minute - you are a ND football fan and an Indiana basketball fan?

Ugh. What a disturbing combination.

Seriously, that sounds like being a Michigan football fan and an MSU basketball fan. Do you have ties to both programs, or just pick the best ones in your state to root for?

Last edited by hoopsguy : 11-07-2007 at 06:43 AM.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #45
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post

The GLIAC has some damn good basketball for D2. I went to Gannon and I remember watching a lot of basketball games (both mens and womens) and being surprised with how good these teams were.

We had a kid get drafted in the second round by the Indiana Pacers, I think it was in 1998.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 11-07-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #46
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Michigan looking good in exhibition!

So can you OSU and Michigan guys now yell "Appalachian State" "Findlay" back and forth at each other?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #47
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
So can you OSU and Michigan guys now yell "Appalachian State" "Findlay" back and forth at each other?

SI

Findlay was only an exhibition game... thank goodness.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #48
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Wait a minute - you are a ND football fan and an Indiana basketball fan?

Ugh. What a disturbing combination.

Seriously, that sounds like being a Michigan football fan and an MSU basketball fan. Do you have ties to both programs, or just pick the best ones in your state to root for?

It's not like they are rival's or anything. There is a tiny bit of a rivalry in basketball, but not enough that i care. I live in Toronto. Notre Dame football was and is on every week. So I grew attached to them because I always saw them play. Growing up in the late 80's and early 90's, Indiana was the most common team to play on TV. That and Bob Knight got me attached to IU basketball. I do hope IU football and ND basketball are succesful, but not enough to actually watch and cheer for them. BTW, IU's main rival is Purdue.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #49
hoopsguy
General Manager

It wasn't so much the "rivalry" as it was picking the good program in football and basketball in the same state. Had a frontrunner feel to it, and I was surprised by this as I had you pegged as a hardcore ND fan like Mr. Wednesday.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #50
sooner333
College Starter

Gardner Webb with the lead at the half over Kentucky in the 2k Sports Classic second round in Lexington.

OU is also in this tournament, though the Sooners play their first round tomorrow against San Francisco. Should be an interesting and better year for OU who has a pretty good freshman in Blake Griffin.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote