Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

2007-08 Baseball Offseason

Looks like Joe Girardi ius going to be the Yanks new manager. It will be interesting to see how he works with the youngsters on the pitcing staff since that was one of the things his critics pointed to when he was with the Marlins. Along with that, Don Mattingly won't be back on the coaching staff.

And on the left coast, is Grady Little going to be replaced by....Joe Torre?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I would love to see Mattingly get a job outside of the Yankees organization and outside of an NL East team that is not the Nationals. OK. And not the O's.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Baseball needs a revenue model that is fair and gives mid-market teams a chance to truly compete. The Rockies are already talking of expanding payroll to $70 million. I have a bad feeling that it's not going to buy them much of what they need to succeed and now that the fans are going to be expecting the team to win, it'll be interesting to see how O'Dowd and company respond on the market.

Me thinks it'll be a few ill advised signings to show they're "serious" about winning and of course, dangling an overzealous extension to Matt Holliday, the same way they did to Todd Helton, making the latter -- and soon, the former -- virtually untradable. Yeah, he's their hero and crap, but...I can't deny that it would've been a lot better to have dealt him and that albatross of a salary to Boston when they had the chance, for an everyday player and two prospects that could've helped them.

Because I can't see a legitimiate reason to pay him $16.6 million per year. And this entire post-season have proven my point related to his lack of offensive production short of a Coors-aided .320 batting average.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-29-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I would love to see Mattingly get a job outside of the Yankees organization and outside of an NL East team that is not the Nationals. OK. And not the O's.

He ought to go to the Rockies. I know that it's not vogue to talk about firing a guy after his team gets to the World Series, but...no one is signing with the Rockies to play for Clint Hurdle.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Because I can't see a legitimiate reason to pay him $16.6 million per year. And this entire post-season have proven my point related to his lack of offensive production short of a Coors-aided .320 batting average.

While $16.6 mil is steep, Helton did have a 133 OPS+, which is very good. It wasn't that he was just this average player without Coors.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
While $16.6 mil is steep, Helton did have a 133 OPS+, which is very good. It wasn't that he was just this average player without Coors.

No, I know. I was being a bit crazy. He's the team's icon and a guy who will be the first number they retire. The psychological effect of keeping him was well worth it, I think.

It's just...I'm thinking that in future years -- he's still owed quite a bit on that 11-year/$151 million deal he signed in 2001.

He's going to cost them a lot of money in the later years of that deal that are gonna sting when they want to get another arm in here or a spare bat or two. He walks a ton and his career batting average is nuts. So I realize he's a great player and the lack of hype is due to where he plays more than anything.

But...given how cheap the team's ownership tends to be, I just wonder if it's going to hamper them down the road. But I guess it's a little early to say, seeing we don't know what they'll do.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-29-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Completely understandable, and I think those are relevant concerns. With a team like the Rockies, how much is that large salary going to cut into need buys in the future? Especially a few years down the road. It may be very painful.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
He ought to go to the Rockies. I know that it's not vogue to talk about firing a guy after his team gets to the World Series, but...no one is signing with the Rockies to play for Clint Hurdle.

I think it would be smart to go with a team with lower expectations (e.g. the Rockies) than a storied franchise like the Yankees. The Rockies have proven they have a lot of potential, but if they fall off after a year or two people won't think much of it. However, I don't see them getting rid of an NLCS winning manager anytime soon. Although, being a winning team didn't stop the Marlins from getting rid of Girardi.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
No, I know. I was being a bit crazy. He's the team's icon and a guy who will be the first number they retire. The psychological effect of keeping him was well worth it, I think.

It's just...I'm thinking that in future years -- he's still owed quite a bit on that 11-year/$151 million deal he signed in 2001.

He's going to cost them a lot of money in the later years of that deal that are gonna sting when they want to get another arm in here or a spare bat or two. He walks a ton and his career batting average is nuts. So I realize he's a great player and the lack of hype is due to where he plays more than anything.

But...given how cheap the team's ownership tends to be, I just wonder if it's going to hamper them down the road. But I guess it's a little early to say, seeing we don't know what they'll do.

I remember hearing the contract was heavily backloaded. If I remember correctly, he's due to make somewhere around $24 million in the last year of the contract.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Didn't take long for the first trade

Detroit gets Edgar Renteria from the Braves for Jair Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez, two of our better prospects.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...445540,00.html

I found a breakdown elsewhere. That article just talks about the team from back at the start of the season.

Here's Helton's salary hit from this year to the end of the deal.

Quote:
2007: $16.6M
2008: $16.6M
2009: $16.6M
2010: $16.6M
2011: $19.1M
2012: Team option $23.0M or $4.6M buyout

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-29-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Didn't take long for the first trade

Detroit gets Edgar Renteria from the Braves for Jair Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez, two of our better prospects.

While I have a rule that states "the team that gets a guy named "Gorkys" always wins the trade", I don't trust Jurrjens - once you have arm trouble, you always have arm trouble.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
While I have a rule that states "the team that gets a guy named "Gorkys" always wins the trade", I don't trust Jurrjens - once you have arm trouble, you always have arm trouble.

It's okay though since we have Deik Scram
Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
It's okay though since we have Deik Scram

Woah. I really hope Deik Scram makes it to the majors soon. I don't have a Tiger at the moment, since My Tiger, Sean Casey, is no longer with the team.

I need a Tiger.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I think Renteria is a pretty good player, but I don't know if this was the best use of those prospects, especially in this era (young players = cost control). And I think the defensive difference between Renteria and Guillen is not that big - why couldn't they have left G at SS?

Also, so much for the A-Rod rumors - where Detroit looked like it could be a major player.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 10-29-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #16
Terps
College Prospect

The O's should definitely get rid of Tejada (one year late, IMO), see if Erik Bedard wants to sign an extension, if not, he needs to be traded also. If both of them go, Brian Roberts needs to go too and have a complete rebuild in effect.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #17
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
The O's should definitely get rid of Tejada (one year late, IMO), see if Erik Bedard wants to sign an extension, if not, he needs to be traded also. If both of them go, Brian Roberts needs to go too and have a complete rebuild in effect.

whoa wait... the O's havnt been rebuilding?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #18
Terps
College Prospect

If you consider rebuilding going with aging vets every season for the past 10 years then, sure.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #19
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Damn, I never knew about the 11-year contract, that's nuts.

Quote:

As a Braves fan, was this a good trade? I know Renteria cost around $10m p/y and that Yunel Escobar should do pretty well at shortstop, are these two guys we got any good?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Damn, I never knew about the 11-year contract, that's nuts.

As a Braves fan, was this a good trade? I know Renteria cost around $10m p/y and that Yunel Escobar should do pretty well at shortstop, are these two guys we got any good?

Jair has had small arm problems but I think he'll be a solid #3 man. Hes only 22, has amazing command of his FB, and just knows how to pitch. His FB hits low 90's but as I said, he spots it.

Gorkys is young and raw. A CF, he wasn't gonna play there with Maybin and Granderson but he was our #2 prospect as far as players. He stole 50 bases in A/AA and he is perfect in the NL. Solid average, steals bases, awesome D, only 19 or 20, the power will come.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #21
korme
Go Reds

Hey, did anyone know the Boston Red Sox won the World Series?

I don't think ESPN got the memo. All day today was 2 topics on ESPN: A-Rod opts out, and Girardi offered the job. Seriously, that's all I saw on Sportscenter today- the Sox are less than 24 hours removed from winning their 2nd championship in 4 years and there's hardly a mention of it, rather coverage of Yankees things.

Why play the season? Let's just always talk about the Yankees and their chances for the next title.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #22
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The series was over after Game 2. Boston just had it, so it was a foregone conclusion, like the Spurs winning last year, so we went right to the draft hype.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #23
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I read this article on Baseball Prospectus on the Renteria trade, basically saying it's good for both teams. It seems that Jurrjens is ready to be a #4 level starter next season, the Braves' starters are weak after Smoltz and Hudson.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #24
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
The series was over after Game 2. Boston just had it, so it was a foregone conclusion, like the Spurs winning last year, so we went right to the draft hype.

Spurs? Is that one of the minor league teams?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #25
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Spurs? Is that one of the minor league teams?

Trying to make an NBA comparison for Shorty, since I know hes a hoops man. My B for lack of clarification.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #26
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Trying to make an NBA comparison for Shorty, since I know hes a hoops man. My B for lack of clarification.

I was being a smart ass .
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:45 PM   #27
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Renteria gone to clear room for A-rod?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #28
miami_fan
Coordinator

Grady Little know when he is not wanted

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3087421

Quote:
All the talk was about Joe Torre managing the Los Angeles Dodgers. Only problem was Grady Little was still the manager.

That's not a problem anymore. Little announced on Tuesday night that he was resigning as manager.

During a conference call, Little responded to reports of ill will between himself and Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti.

"Ned and I have been in constant communication since the end of the season and decided mutually that this was the best move for the Dodgers organization to take," Little said.

Colletti said, "I wanted Grady Little back. I encouraged him a handful of times to think it through,"

The general manager said that he knew resignation was on Little's mind at the end of the season.

When asked if rumors of Torre taking over had an influence on his decision, Little replied, "None whatsoever."

"I have my personal reasons," he said.

He added: "It's nothing in particular. It's just a decision we've come to. This is all personal. There's a lot of belief I've been dealt an injustice here. That couldn't be further from the truth. My plans? To play with my grandkids."

Little had one year remaining on his contract with a club option for a second year.

Little, the Dodgers' skipper the past two seasons, managed the Boston Red Sox in 2002-03 before being fired despite leading the team to the American League Championship Series in 2003.

The Dodgers had baseball's best record in July but faded down the stretch to finish with an 82-80 record, good for fourth place in the NL West.

Clubhouse unrest surfaced between veterans and young players during the season's final two weeks, when the Dodgers lost seven straight games to the Colorado Rockies while falling out of contention.

Little's resignation comes amid multiple media reports that Torre will be named the Dodgers' next manager. The Los Angeles Times reported on Tuesday that the Dodgers and the former Yanks manager had agreed to terms of a contract but were resolving issues related to the coaching staff and player personnel moves.

It has been widley reported that Torre would bring his former bench coach, Don Mattingly, with him to Los Angeles. In a conference call on Tuesday, the former Yankees great did not deny or confirm a prospective move to L.A. his son Preston was drafted by the Dodgers in 2006.

Colletti would not confirm whether Torre was the leading candidate to take over.

"We've talked to other people a little bit to gauge their level of interest because talking to Grady at the end of the season I wasn't sure he was coming back," he said.

When pressed to name the candidates, Colletti said, "We'll talk about where we go from here at a later date."

As for reports that the Dodgers were negotiating with Torre, Colletti said, "That's not accurate."

Torre's agent, Maury Gostfrand, declined comment.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I agree with Jayson Stark on the treatment of Grady Little by the Dodgers. There is something a bit dirty about the way they conducted a managerial search while Little was still their manager. Oh well I am sure it was nothing personal, just business.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-30-2007, 09:07 PM   #29
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

No way. Yunel Esocar will play shortstop, the Braves will use that money somewhere else, presumably on a center fielder.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #30
molson
General Manager

I hope Torre spurns the Dodgers and they end up with Butch Hobson.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:17 PM   #31
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Does anyone believe anything written in that article about Little?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

I believe this line is factually correct: "Little, the Dodgers' skipper the past two seasons, managed the Boston Red Sox in 2002-03 before being fired despite leading the team to the American League Championship Series in 2003."

Not what you meant?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:06 PM   #33
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

The braves couldn't afford half of A-Rod's contract.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #34
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Are you trying to say he does not plan on playing with his grandkids?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #35
miami_fan
Coordinator

Cameron suspended after drug test

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Quote:
SAN DIEGO (AP) -- Mike Cameron, the Padres' Gold Glove center fielder, was suspended for the first 25 games of next season on Wednesday after testing positive a second time for a banned stimulant.

Cameron, who plans to file for free agency, said he believes he took a tainted supplement.

"The one thing I wanted to make sure was explained is, no steroids," Cameron told AM 1090, the Padres' flagship radio station. "I never took nothing like that before in my life. That would be 50 games, and that would affect me a whole lot more."

Cameron issued a statement through his agent, saying doctors for the players' association helped him narrow down what triggered the positive test.

"After all of the analysis and testing, I can only conclude that a nutritional supplement I was taking was tainted," he said `Unfortunately, the actual supplement is gone, and therefore cannot be tested. Without the actual supplement in hand, the rules are clear, and I must accept the suspension.

Players who initially test positive for a stimulant receive counseling. Suspensions begin only with a second positive test.

The only other player suspended for testing positive for stimulants under Major League Baseball's drug plan was Detroit infielder Neifi Perez, who received a 25-game suspension on July 6 following his second positive test, and an 80-game suspension on Aug. 3 following his third positive test.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #36
Atocep
Coordinator

"I took a tainted supplement"

"I need it for my health"

"There's something wrong with the testing. Its a false positive."

"My trainer gave it to me"
Old 10-31-2007, 11:37 AM   #37
korme
Go Reds

Free-agent market could be kind to Cubs' Wood

By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter

October 30, 2007, 11:35 PM CDT

When Kerry Wood filed for free agency last winter, he'd already said he felt an "obligation" to return to the Cubs and had "something to prove" after long stints on the disabled list.

When the Cubs bought out his $13.5 million option for $3 million, the right-hander kept his word and re-signed for $1.75 million plus incentives, agreeing to go to the bullpen for the sake of the team and his career.

After returning in August and making 22 appearances out of the bullpen, Wood looked at times like the Wood of 2003, which should make him a name to watch on the free-agent market.

But whether Wood wants to return to the Cubs or seek greener pastures in a new town is a question only he can answer. Wood filed for free agency Tuesday, beginning the guessing game again.

General manager Jim Hendry has had a strong relationship with Wood since the organization drafted him in 1995, which bodes well for the possibility of Wood's return. Wood, 30, turned down much more lucrative offers so he could stay with the Cubs last season but figures to receive even more interest in this year's market for various reasons.

Wood's fastball was clocked as high as 98 m.p.h. toward the end of the season, and he was unscored on in 18 of 22 appearances. Now, with 4 1/2 more months of rest for his rehabbed shoulder, Wood's arm strength might give him the option of starting or relieving in '08.

Name recognition alone could make Wood a hot commodity, and with old friend Joe Girardi now managing the New York Yankees, the chances of Wood wearing dark blue pinstripes are probably decent if he bolts the Cubs. Other teams that figure to be interested include Texas, Houston, Arizona, the Los Angeles Dodgers, Boston and Cincinnati, which is now managed by his former Cubs skipper, Dusty Baker.

In an Associated Press report Tuesday, Baker denied a published report that he had had recent conversations with Wood, squelching the suggestion he was recruiting his former pitcher. Baker told the AP that Wood had sent him a text message to congratulate him on his new job, as had several other former players, including Cubs pitcher Mark Prior, who is eligible for arbitration and might not be tendered a contract.

Sources said Baker told Reds officials he had spoken to Prior and Cubs outfielder Jacque Jones to ask about their homes and families after last week's wildfires spread close to their San Diego residences. Both players told Baker their houses had been left standing and their families were safe, and the Cubs have not accused Baker of tampering.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #38
miami_fan
Coordinator

Zumaya hurts shoulder; may miss part of '08 season

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3090054

Quote:
DETROIT -- Tigers reliever Joel Zumaya is expected to be sidelined until midseason after injuring his throwing shoulder while moving items during the California wildfires.

Zumaya had surgery Wednesday on his right shoulder in San Diego. His residence is listed as south of the city, in Chula Vista.

Zumaya, whose 100 mph fastballs helped Detroit reach the 2006 World Series, will rest his shoulder for six weeks. He is not expected to begin a throwing program until March.

The Tigers said Zumaya was hurt while moving personal items, but did not release additional details. Known for his fastballs, Zumaya has giant flame tattoos on both of his arms.

Surgery on a tendon in his middle finger limited him to just 28 games last season. He was 2-3 with a 4.28 ERA.

As a rookie in 2006, Zumaya was a key reason the Tigers won the AL championship for the first time since in more than two decades. He was 6-3 with a 1.94 ERA, and struck out 92 in 62 games appearances.

Zumaya's injury seems to make re-signing Todd Jones, a free agent, or acquiring another closer even more of a priority. The Tigers went 88-74 this season and finished second in the AL Central.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

First, Guitar Hero and now this?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #39
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Mark Fidrych anyone?

Love Zoom, but he is just like a Liriano type. I don't think he'll ever be the same and it's sad but true. Hope he recovers but now money needs to be thrown somewhere, or a deal for Chad Cordero, though I can't see him coming here without losing something big, and after the Edgar deal, I don't see it.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #40
Rizon
Pro Starter

The Oakland A's will collect a bunch of utility outfielders and infielders who have a high OBP but can't hit the ball worth shit. And we'll fall short again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.

Last edited by Rizon : 11-01-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #41
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Well, you beat me to the story as I was going to post this. In the AP story, it mentions "tried to salvage a few things for his father". I commented to a friend of mine "yeah, he tried to salvage his Guitar Hero guitar and saved games"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Baseball Prospectus off-season plans report. I particularly like what they said about the Rockies in the NL West, because it's a lot of what we said here. Which is that they ought to use the NL pennant season as a building block to sell high on a few guys, like dealing Garrett Atkins for for a hurler (figuring that people coming short from A-Rod will bite.

rather than keeping the same team in place, as Montfort the cheapskate owner wants to do.

Should be interesting....
Old 11-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #43
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Can't see what they say about my Nationals.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #44
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's not shorter. It's exactly the same, actually. Good catch.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-02-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #45
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
They cross-posted this stuff to cnnsi.com, probably shorter, but hey.

hxxp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/10/29/bp.nleast/index.html

Thanks!

Can someone explain to me how the Marlins have no one contracted for next year but Miguel Cabrera is a free agent in '09?

Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #46
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7403260?MSNHPHMA

Boras wanted $350 million?!?!?

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #47
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks!

Can someone explain to me how the Marlins have no one contracted for next year but Miguel Cabrera is a free agent in '09?

What they're saying is every player on the roster right now is still in the team controlled 6-year window. They don't have a single player on the roster that has received a contract extension or was signed as a free agent.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #48
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Thanks!

To add on to Atocep's comments, all players contracts expired at the end of the season, but they are still controlled by the Marlins because they have less than six years of MLB experience. In the case of Cabrera, he is arbitrition eligible but isn't signed yet for 2008.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #49
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post

LOL whos the moron that will pay mr overrated that much?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #50
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

And you can best believe they did that on purpose. Jeffrey Loria sucks.