Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Towel Boy Basketball Returns!

So, I figured if I can run into catastrophic bugs and have to bring down the system not once, but twice, I might as well try again, eh?

The screwing around with Cyberdunk gave me the urge to fix what went wrong the last time. I *gasp* actually tested the game through several seasons, and even more *gasp*, it actually worked. So, I feel comfortable enough re-opening the game for a third time, and hoping enough people here liked it/forgive me for having to shut it off the last two times.

For those of you who weren't around in its last incarnation, Towel Boy Basketball is a college basketball text based web game. You too can beat up on my god awful squad in the mighty Dean Houston Conference.

http://tbb.officepimps.com/

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

Third times the charm! Like the last two times, I'm in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Third times the charm! Like the last two times, I'm in!

I learned my lesson(s) from last time. Releasing it before you're really ready and not bothering to completely test an entire season is not a good thing.

And it's on a real web server now instead of a brick in a closet.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I'm in as the Tacoma Aromas in the Dean Houston Conference. Glad to see this is back!

Last edited by Yellow5 : 10-17-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

By the way. Fun with randomly pulling from zip code databases to create bot teams has given us the following stellar Community Colleges.

The mighty Kennedy Space Ce Community College.

And my favorite...

The Wal-mart Inc Community College

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-17-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Will there actually be games simmed tonight?

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

No. Season starts sunday.

Though training will run tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
No. Season starts sunday.

Though training will run tomorrow.
Roger that, thanks!

Quote:
Old 10-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #9
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Did I mention my team is absolutely MISERABLE?

I have exactly one player with one stat of acceptable.

I obviously didn't rig it well

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-17-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
rjolley
College Starter

The Stone Mountain Tech Bearcats have signed on to compete in the Dean Houston Conference of the TBB. Fear us! (either because we'll be really good or really bad )

EDIT: Looks like we're pretty bad...

Last edited by rjolley : 10-17-2007 at 09:39 AM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #11
Poli
FOFC Survivor

How many coffee cups does the brick in the closet have on it?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
The Stone Mountain Tech Bearcats have signed on to compete in the Dean Houston Conference of the TBB. Fear us! (either because we'll be really good or really bad )

Heh. And you come out to Palm Springs to take on my Fighting Trout first thing.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #13
MikeVic
Head Coach

I kind of remember this... maybe I'll sign up.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 AM   #14
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I know very little about basketball and have never managed a sim team, but I started a team.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 AM   #15
wade moore
lolzcat

CW - would you rather us keep constructive feedback here or on the game boards?

Quote:
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #16
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I know very little about basketball and have never managed a sim team, but I started a team.

That's okay, my team apparently knows very little about basketball.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #17
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Can we get a roster page that's easier to stick into excel?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #18
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
CW - would you rather us keep constructive feedback here or on the game boards?

Can throw it here for now if it's easier.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #19
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Can we get a roster page that's easier to stick into excel?

I didn't have too much trouble with it really... I've quickly thrown together a spreadsheet that gives numerical values to the stats ratings and averages them out.. very rudimantry and ripe with flawed logic (i.e. not weighting different stats for positions in the average), but it wasn't hard at all.

Although it might be nice if I didn't have to go to a separate screen to get the Potential.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #20
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm in as the Grand Rapids Fighting Calders in the Dean Houston Conference.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 10-17-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #21
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Can throw it here for now if it's easier.

Ok.. here's the biggest thing that jumps out at me. I haven't looked at ANY other roster than mine, so this is purely based on my roster.

It seems to me that there is a relatively logical progression that Seniors are rated a bit higher than Juniors who are a bit higher than Sophomores and so-on. No problem there.

The problem is, it's only slight and the Seniors are nowhere close to their potential. It would seem to me that in general, seniors are going to be a fair amount closer to their potential than freshman.

Now, maybe this is just going to be how it is with the initial rosters and it will clean itself up after we go through a few seasons, but just a somewhat frustrating observation for now. I have a couple of seniors that could be very good players, but based on the future of my team there is just very little benefit in trying to do much developing of those guys.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #22
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Ooh, and I have a 7'1" freshman. I don't care what his ratings are -- he's a 7'1" freshman!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #23
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
The problem is, it's only slight and the Seniors are nowhere close to their potential. It would seem to me that in general, seniors are going to be a fair amount closer to their potential than freshman.

Now, maybe this is just going to be how it is with the initial rosters and it will clean itself up after we go through a few seasons, but just a somewhat frustrating observation for now. I have a couple of seniors that could be very good players, but based on the future of my team there is just very little benefit in trying to do much developing of those guys.

In short, it's how it is with the initial rosters. The fact that you saw any sort of progression is purely coincidence. Stats for generated players are built pretty much randomly, as are their class year. Obviously this will sort itself out down the line when you get 4 years with your kids, but the initial roster gen doesn't account for current/potential based on year.

edit: I actually think I could retrofit that in before Sunday's games, and actually give teams some decently developed juniors/seniors to start things off, if it's in popular demand.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-17-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 AM   #24
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
In short, it's how it is with the initial rosters. The fact that you saw any sort of progression is purely coincidence. Stats for generated players are built pretty much randomly, as are their class year. Obviously this will sort itself out down the line when you get 4 years with your kids, but the initial roster gen doesn't account for current/potential based on year.

edit: I actually think I could retrofit that in before Sunday's games, and actually give teams some decently developed juniors/seniors to start things off, if it's in popular demand.

Cool - like I said, not a big deal. I can cope with the fact that the initial rosters will be skewed.

Time to bench those seniors!

Quote:
Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #25
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Did I mention my team is absolutely MISERABLE?

I have exactly one player with one stat of acceptable.

I obviously didn't rig it well

Same here. Boo.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #26
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Me too.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #27
MikeVic
Head Coach

I seem to have a pretty smart team, and a guy with a 3.90 GPA though.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #28
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

I wouldn't do it for the benefit of right now... If you want this to matter down the road as things expand (it could really put new teams at a disadvantage 3 years from now if they start new with this setup) but for the early teams it doens't really matter... but, maybe this would simulate like a Division II team moving up to Division I.. in that case their young players are often as good/better than their old players because they are recruiting at a different standard.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #29
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

This is pretty sweet.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #30
Travis
Pro Rookie

In, looking forward to giving this a good run through.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #31
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I wouldn't do it for the benefit of right now... If you want this to matter down the road as things expand (it could really put new teams at a disadvantage 3 years from now if they start new with this setup) but for the early teams it doens't really matter... but, maybe this would simulate like a Division II team moving up to Division I.. in that case their young players are often as good/better than their old players because they are recruiting at a different standard.

Very good point.

And I'm not sure I want new teams to be royally and utterly screwed down the road when I have to expand the leagues. They'll still be not as good (assuming I auto-developed players on new rosters, it'd still be nowhere near full potential), but at least they wouldn't have to spend 3-4 seasons being utterly horrid in comparison.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #32
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Very good point.

And I'm not sure I want new teams to be royally and utterly screwed down the road when I have to expand the leagues. They'll still be not as good (assuming I auto-developed players on new rosters, it'd still be nowhere near full potential), but at least they wouldn't have to spend 3-4 seasons being utterly horrid in comparison.
Yeah, good point... Thats' the pros/cons of it to me..

So on another note - recruiting right now is just a complete gamble? As far as I can tell there's no way to see where your team ranks with the rest of the universe or how players feel about your team? Guys I'm looking at are already twice as good as my team, but maybe that's how it is across the board - i don't know.

Quote:
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #33
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post

EDIT: Looks like we're pretty bad...
Week 1 showdown - bring it on!

Quote:
Old 10-17-2007, 10:27 AM   #34
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, good point... Thats' the pros/cons of it to me..

So on another note - recruiting right now is just a complete gamble? As far as I can tell there's no way to see where your team ranks with the rest of the universe or how players feel about your team? Guys I'm looking at are already twice as good as my team, but maybe that's how it is across the board - i don't know.

Right now it is. You actually learn things on the recruiting update. Until that first update runs, it's largely looking at their desires, hoping for a match, and taking a gamble.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #35
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Right now it is. You actually learn things on the recruiting update. Until that first update runs, it's largely looking at their desires, hoping for a match, and taking a gamble.
Desires?

Oh... hah.. didn't see that before, ok - good start.. thanks ...

Quote:
Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #36
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Alright, duck kids. Your older players are about to get quite a bit better.

Before I run it, the lowdown:

Players are being bumped up by a % of their potential, a randomly generated number range based on year & training cap (a hidden stat that determines the maximum increase a player can have per training update). Juniors and Seniors will see a sizable increase. For the most part, freshman, if they have a high training cap, MIGHT get lucky and get a percentage point or two, sophmores maybe a smidge more.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-17-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #37
Anthony
Banned

Dean Houston Warriors of Astoria, playing in the Trout Ten. i wanted to be in the DH Conference. oh well.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #38
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Red Mountain State are a new member of the Trout Ten
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:51 AM   #39
Anthony
Banned

what do all those times mean on the lineup screen? how do you set that up?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #40
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
what do all those times mean on the lineup screen? how do you set that up?

It's modeled after the sub matrix in DDS:PB (among others on that line). Basically it's who you want to sub in/out at what point during the game, counting down. So the 40:00 mark is the start of the game, and you can set your rotation from there.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #41
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
It's modeled after the sub matrix in DDS:PB (among others on that line). Basically it's who you want to sub in/out at what point during the game, counting down. So the 40:00 mark is the start of the game, and you can set your rotation from there.

gotcha, thanks.

wouldn't PT be easier to set if you did it like how jim does it: 1-10 scale, with 10 being the most playing time? as-is it seems that whether my guy is on a roll or not, he's coming out. just a friendly suggestion. this look like something fun to do during work. good job overall.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #42
MikeVic
Head Coach

The highest stat I have now is amazing. What an improvement.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #43
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
gotcha, thanks.

wouldn't PT be easier to set if you did it like how jim does it: 1-10 scale, with 10 being the most playing time? as-is it seems that whether my guy is on a roll or not, he's coming out. just a friendly suggestion. this look like something fun to do during work. good job overall.

This is actually much easier to code/handle in the sim engine, and I think basketball oftentimes has a more set rotation schedule.

Oh, and on a similar topic, 'cause I know someone will ask. Players train faster when they get playing time. Your freshmen may suck, but they need some minutes to reach their maximum ability.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #44
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

So the Dean Houston Conference is full, and we're working on the Trout Ten. Any other conferences with teams in them yet?

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #45
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Nope, it runs straight down the list.

In order of how the conferences will be populated:

| Dean Houston Conference |
| Trout Ten |
| Colossal Squid Ten |
| Conference Dolamite |
| Erik Flamebeard Ten |
| Sectoid Conference |
| Dark Jedi Conference |
| Penalty Box Ten |
| Conference Yak |
| Towel Boy Ten |
| Ladies Man Ten |
| Broken Database Ten |
| Conference Werewolf |
| Puke Green Ten |
| Conference Thunderdome |
| Conference Gindin |
| Trucker Ten |
| Bad Rex Ten |
| Blue Mountain Conference |
| Empty Cupboard Ten |
Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #46
Tigercat
College Starter

I wanted to put my team in the big city and we ended up being across the street from HA's team. We are going to slap the Dean Houstons around like the red headed stepchild that they are.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #47
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
I wanted to put my team in the big city and we ended up being across the street from HA's team. We are going to slap the Dean Houstons around like the red headed stepchild that they are.

What a coincidence. We have a non-conference game against the Dean Houstons now, so I think we'll join you in beating them around.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #48
Anthony
Banned

we are not the Dean Houstons (although that does sound impressive).

we are the Dean Houston University Warriors of Astoria.

Warriors.

of Astoria. get it right.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #49
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Alright, duck kids. Your older players are about to get quite a bit better.

Before I run it, the lowdown:

Players are being bumped up by a % of their potential, a randomly generated number range based on year & training cap (a hidden stat that determines the maximum increase a player can have per training update). Juniors and Seniors will see a sizable increase. For the most part, freshman, if they have a high training cap, MIGHT get lucky and get a percentage point or two, sophmores maybe a smidge more.

that was the worst thing you could have done. now the Dean Houston University Warriors of Astoria are more dominant.

just reset my lineups, the season is over already for many of you.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #50
MikeVic
Head Coach

I have a senior with a higher current ability than potential...?