Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
st.cronin
General Manager

College Football Week 7 Thread

I'm not really paying attention, but there's something on ESPN about Reggie Bush issues for USC. The big games this week are, obviously, Missouri @ Oklahoma, and LSU @ Kentucky. Also Navy @ Pitt.

knives out

st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Pitt is having a gold out...
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

How long has this replay been going? Seems like 10 minutes.

I don't see how it could possibly be considered going into the endzone when it clearly hit the guy's leg before going in.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Hawaii @ San Jose St. FRIDAY 8PM EST. on ESPN, yes thats right ESPN

ok watch.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oops. lost track of what week it was.

If you are at your TV.. put it on ESPN. Great F'n game.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Oops. lost track of what week it was.

If you are at your TV.. put it on ESPN. Great F'n game.

It really has been a classic.

knives out
Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

That would have been a great place for a fake snap, Pitt wasn't ready to play at all.

knives out
Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

:11 to play.. they either need an out pattern to get yardage and out of bounds, a first down and an instant spike, or aCareer long FG...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

BEARCATS AND CARDINALS

Cincinnati winning on an average of 30 ppg, Louisville has 3 losses by a total of 18 points.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
:11 to play.. they either need an out pattern to get yardage and out of bounds, a first down and an instant spike, or aCareer long FG...

No good on the FG.. we are going to... Oooovertime
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #11
st.cronin
General Manager

Terrible play-calling there by Pitt.

knives out
Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Navy just bailed Pitt out with a neutral zone infraction on the FG.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #13
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This could go on for a while..
Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #14
st.cronin
General Manager

Lou Holtz is hilarious. I want him to do more games.

knives out
Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #15
SFL Cat
College Starter

I would LUV to see the Wildcats knock off LSU.

Let me clarify...in football, not basketball.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 10-10-2007 at 10:45 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #16
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Terrible play-calling there by Pitt.

With Wan-stache as coach, that surprises you?!
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

I can't explain why Pitt called a single pass play in OT.

knives out
Old 10-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #18
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok Navy wins 48-45, after a failed fourth down pass...

but how the fucking hell was that not pass interference on SOMEBODY??
Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #19
RendeR
Coordinator

I have to say, I've always wondered about the hate for wanndstedt, but after watching him utterly and completely blow this game all by himself with pathetic play calling in overtime, I'm buying the hatred now.

That was the stupidest5 or 6 downs of playcalls I've ever seen.

Who the hell throws a FADE rout on 4th down????

GO NAVY!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #20
Swaggs
Coordinator

Man... I hate Pitt, but I almost feel bad for them having Wannstache.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #21
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Man... I hate Pitt, but I almost feel bad for them having Wannstache.

Don't bother, I have a feeling he won't be there next year. I can't imagine any school keeping something that obviously incompetant any longer.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #22
bhlloy
Coordinator

Holy crap that was a horrific play call with the game on the line. Maybe Dave Wannstedt will find his niche in high school football when the Panthers can his ass? McCoy should punch him in the nuts for those two pass plays.

I can go either way on the pass interference call. The corner had his hands all over him early, but the ball was also not particularly well thrown and the corner has a right to establish position. I would have to see it a few more times.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:00 PM   #23
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I have to say, I've always wondered about the hate for wanndstedt, but after watching him utterly and completely blow this game all by himself with pathetic play calling in overtime, I'm buying the hatred now.

That was the stupidest5 or 6 downs of playcalls I've ever seen.

GO NAVY!

Especially when your running game has not exactly been scuffling. It seemed to me they were getting 5 yards or so every time they handed off. 3rd and 2, they call two consecutive passes? That just seems like they're not paying attention to what's going on out there.

knives out
Old 10-11-2007, 01:22 AM   #24
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, I'd been reading about how bad a coach he was..but after watching the end of that game, it proved to me what you all had been saying. What a ridiculous set a playcalling in the red zone with the game on the line.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:28 AM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Dorrell vs Wanstache--I would keep Dorrell, hands down.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:17 AM   #26
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Don't bother, I have a feeling he won't be there next year. I can't imagine any school keeping something that obviously incompetant any longer.

We've been saying this for I believe 3 years now.

The entire Big East thoroughly enjoys Pitt keeping him, because as soon as they bring even only a mildly mentally challenged person in to coach, they'll be a force with the talent they assembled.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #27
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the end of the game but here are my thoughts on Wanny. I told my friends (mostly Pitt fans) that they would miss Walt Harris after a few years. All laughed at me, citing Wanny's NFL experierence as what they needed to get over the hump. Now they all tell me they wish they had Harris. Most Pitt fans point the blame on Harris because these are still his recruits, that's getting a little old. Wannstedt has had enough recruiting classes here now to put his mark on the program.

Wannstedt came in wanting to grasp back Western Pennsylvania in recruiting for Pitt. He has done a good job at that, but the only problem is that Western PA is not the hot bed for High School football it was 10 to 15 years ago. He's had highly ranked recruiting classes, but like Harris he has not recruited any OL or DL which shows as they are pushed around in the trenches each week. McCoy and Bostick are two players with a lot of upside but they need people to block for them. When 3 of the 5 guys on the OL are seniors and that is a weak point on the team, next year can't look that much better.

Wannstedt is a good recruiter but IMO a terrible game day coach. Under Harris he would only blow a game a year with his arrogant calls, Wannstedt has lost them quite a few that way. Harris would at least have his teams ready for the big games and upset a few teams he shouldn't have, I don't think Wannstedt has beaten a team he wasn't favored against.

I dont think Dave will be fired this year, he is too well liked in the inner Pitt circles but next year will be his final year if the team does not go to a bowl game.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #28
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Jim Harbaugh.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #29
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I'm headed out to Portland tomorrow to visit with a couple of my best buddies, and to attend the Washington State vs. Oregon game at Autzen Stadium. Yeah, I know...but it should be a fun experience anyway.

Then it's off to Rogue Brewery in Newport to drown our sorrows (or celebrate a freakish upset win).
Old 10-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

In the MU/OU game.........

---MU has not been ranked this high since I was in 1st grade (that's 1981).

---MU has not won in Norman in my lifetime. They last won in Norman 8 years before my birth (that's 1966).

Let me state for the record that I will openly weep like a schoolgirl if the Tigers can pull of a win on Saturday. I'll be so happy I won't even be embarrassed.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #31
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Lou Holtz is hilarious. I want him to do more games.

He was awseome - very entertaining.

My favorite line of his, (reflecting on a difficult decision) "That's like trying to choose between Joan Collins and Linda Evans".
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #32
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
He was awseome - very entertaining.

My favorite line of his, (reflecting on a difficult decision) "That's like trying to choose between Joan Collins and Linda Evans".

Agreed. Lou was 100 times better as a color man than as a studio analyst. The Joan Collins and Linda Evans thing was funny and so was the (paraphrasing), "They say a tie in football is like kissing your sister, but I don't care, I hate overtime. Losing in overtime is like kissing your brother."

He was also very naturally humble, like when Rece Davis asked him a few times what he would do in those situations, he waffled a little bit, which is kind of refreshing. To me, it sort of showed that he didn't have a fixed set of rules to go by and that he played things by gut sometimes.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #33
Z²+
High School JV

Quote:
Especially when your running game has not exactly been scuffling. It seemed to me they were getting 5 yards or so every time they handed off. 3rd and 2, they call two consecutive passes? That just seems like they're not paying attention to what's going on out there.

For what it's worth, I get to sit in on the post-game press conferences, and Coach Wannstedt responded to basically this same question, by saying that Navy was lining up 9 players in the box on the 3rd and 4th down plays in question, and that he was confident in the one-on-one matchups on the outside.

That said, I don't care if Navy lined up their entire 50 man roster in the box, if you've already decided you're in 4 down territory, and you've got 3rd and goal inside the 2, there's no excuse for not running your stud HB, who had 170 yards at this point, both times. I've supported Coach Wannstedt to this point, but he's starting to lose me, because this was just inexcusable.

Also, an interesting side point that I found very significant, that was overlooked unless you were actually at the game. On that final 2nd OT possession, on the 3rd down play from the 2, Pitt threw an incomplete pass, but was also flagged for an Illegal Motion penalty, which Navy declined (obviously thinking Pitt would then kick the FG on 4th down to tie the game and send it to 3rd OT). When Pitt sent their offense back onto the field, a coach on the Navy sideline (not sure if it was the Head Coach or not) grabbed the line judge and was trying to change the decision and accept the previous penalty -- while the game was on TV timeout, the Ref announced that the penalty decision could not be changed, because a timeout had been subsequently taken after the decision was made. But to my point, Nave declined the penalty because they wanted Pitt to kick -- but instead Pitt went for it and Navy won. If Navy accepts the penalty, Pitt probably kicks the FG to tie (although it would have been 3rd and goal from the 7, so maybe they get close and go for it again anway, who knows). Not overly important, but something that caught my attention as interesting.

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!

Last edited by Z²+ : 10-11-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Z²+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

If you want to pass, fine. But I hate hate HATE the fade route in that situation. It's a precision play with only one option. If the ball slips a bit in the QBs hand before he throws it, you're fucked. Not to mention you're throwing the ball without having a clue if there will be help in a certain area or a breakdown in coverage.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #35
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
I'm headed out to Portland tomorrow to visit with a couple of my best buddies, and to attend the Washington State vs. Oregon game at Autzen Stadium. Yeah, I know...but it should be a fun experience anyway.

Then it's off to Rogue Brewery in Newport to drown our sorrows (or celebrate a freakish upset win).
I'll be curious to hear how your experience at Autzen goes - among Husky fans, Autzen has a reputation for overly belligerent, abusive fans if you go there wearing the opposing team's colors and logos.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #36
Huckleberry
College Starter

The biggest game of the year is this Saturday at noon when Principia College hosts Trinity Bible College. This game has become an annual contest to determine the worst team in the country. My ratings for the last 2 years have had these two teams in the bottom two positions each year. They are there again already this year. Same in Massey's system.

These two teams are so bad that they play each other twice every year. The UMAC has something called "Dome Day" every year where the teams from their North division take on the teams from their South division. Folks, college football doesn't get any worse than this. Every year Principia is the worst of the South, it seems, and Trinity Bible is the worst of the north.

So the game has major implications but there will be a chance for revenge in the HHH Metrodome for the loser. Upper Midwest Athletic Conference football. Catch the fever!

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 10-11-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #37
miami_fan
Coordinator

Gee whiz, this is not that difficult. The ball hit the Wake Forest player and the Nole player recovered it.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #38
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This is the funniest thing I've ever seen... WTF is wrong with these officials?!
Old 10-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #39
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

These refs suck.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #40
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

that was... bizarre...
FSU Blocks a punt.. first down Wake Forest!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #41
Logan
Head Coach

I've seen two official replays so far this week, and they've taken a combined 19 minutes.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #42
Galaxy
Coordinator

Nice touchdown pass. What's Wake Forest's record?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #43
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Today, USC officially announced that Sanchez will start this weekend. Our offensive line is banged up bad with 6 or 7 of the top 10 linemen out (4 of them were out last week as well), so it will be interesting to see how much protection he gets out there and what he can do.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #44
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

'Twas not so long ago that the concept of Wake Forest beating Florida State - ever, much less twice consecutively - was laughable. Now look at 'em go. Love it.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #45
dime
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
'Twas not so long ago that the concept of Wake Forest beating Florida State - ever, much less twice consecutively - was laughable. Now look at 'em go. Love it.

Once they get that loser Rix out of there at quarterback, things will be back to normal...
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #46
Blade6119
Coordinator

Am I the only one not that impressed with Brennan so far? I mean, hes made a few nice passes, but even before that pick he just threw he has made some questionable throws in my eyes. He gets away with them because of the competition, but ive seen a few balls a better team might have picked.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #47
Blade6119
Coordinator

look at that TD...literally right into the Lowery's hands, and it was only by mistake that he dropped the pick and the WR made the catch. Now, i know lowery is still a great corner, but thats a pick 9 times out of ten.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #48
Atocep
Coordinator

I've watched the better part of 3 Hawaii games now and hasn't impressed me much. His biggest strength that I've seen is avoiding the pass rush. He isn't mobile, but moves very well in the pocket. However, his accuracy is very inconsistent and his arm strength is questionable.

I still think he's a good college QB, but not the 1st or 2nd round NFL prospect he's been mentioned as.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 PM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

shaping up to be a good ending
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:32 PM   #50
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Just win, baby. Just win.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote