Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
samifan24
Pro Starter

"Life" TV Show

Is anyone else here watching the new tv show "Life?" You know, the one where Damian Lewis stars as the cop who spent 12 years in jail for a crime he didn't commit only to return to the force as a Zen-practicing detective. I've enjoyed the first two episodes and really like Lewis's character but haven't heard much chatter online about the show.

samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
finketr
College Prospect

watched the first episode... waiting to record the second ep
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I loved Damian Lewis in Band of Brothers, but this show just seems too much like "House as a cop" to me. I watched the pilot and wasn't impressed. It's not on my list of shows to DVR.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Flasch186
Coordinator

didnt enjoy the pilot at all. Avoided the second episode purposely. House as a cop was a good description. The interacting with the dog scene was so utterly ridiculous that I couldnt get past that. Then his facial ticking when he was face to face with the corrections officer that was giving him crap was so dumb. I was looking forward to it but the lead Caruso'd me out.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I think House as a cop is not a good description myself. House is not slightly messed up in the head from being locked up for 12 years, most of which was in solitary (as I understood it) because the first few years were spent getting the shit beat out of him. He lost his life....his wife, job, everything. 12 years later he gets out, is a detective and is super rich. The show aside, that would make for a good size mind trip on a guy.

I liked the first episode though, and will be getting the second ASAP to watch.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I think House as a cop is not a good description myself. House is not slightly messed up in the head from being locked up for 12 years, most of which was in solitary (as I understood it) because the first few years were spent getting the shit beat out of him. He lost his life....his wife, job, everything. 12 years later he gets out, is a detective and is super rich. The show aside, that would make for a good size mind trip on a guy.

I liked the first episode though, and will be getting the second ASAP to watch.

Well, no, I suppose the backstory of each character is different, otherwise the writers would probably be getting sued.

But incredibly intelligent, arrogant, poor social skills, yet able to save the day time and again... all of these things Life's lead character has in common with House. Hell, they're both tall, lanky Brits playing Americans if you want to take it that far. And House's character is based on Sherlock Holmes, who (while not a cop), was at least a detective. House is a medical detective, the lead character of Life is a police detective. Just too many similarities for me.

I'm really glad you're enjoying the show. Like I said, I wanted to... badly. It just didn't work for me.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I guess if you want to break it down that way. :P

I tried House but don't like it, go figure.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
samifan24
Pro Starter

I've never watched "House" and don't know much about the show.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I haven't seen the 2nd episode yet (it's on my DVR), but I liked the pilot. I don't think House as a cop works at all as a description. I mean from the description of "House as a cop" listed above, you could be describing Monk! Perhaps aside from the arrogant part, but I didn't necessarily get the vibe the the detective in Life is particularly arrogant.

I think the character's knowledge of how things work in prison will be a great asset to him.

Oh, and FWIW, I really, really like House.