Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Pushing Daisies

WOW... what a show!

Just utterly brilliant and quirky. Great dialog, great premise and I love magical realism. Has a very "Big Fish" sort of feel. And I LOVE the narrator, especially his way of explaining events and counting birthdays down to the minute.

Based on the pilot, has the potential to be my favorite one-hour show on TV (eclipsing Heroes, which is #1 at the moment).

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

My girlfriend and I actually had a mid-level serious fight about Big Fish. I hated that movie with every ounce of my being, but she loved it.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
samifan24
Pro Starter

I loved the pilot tonight. I'd read a lot about it and was not disappointed. I've never seen anything like it. My only fear is that its too quirky or smart for the mainstream.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:48 PM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
My girlfriend and I actually had a mid-level serious fight about Big Fish. I hated that movie with every ounce of my being, but she loved it.

I can no longer be friends with you anymore.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:52 PM   #5
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I can no longer be friends with you anymore.

You're not going to steal my woman, are you?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
You're not going to steal my woman, are you?

Actually, I was going to ask, but thought it may have been in bad taste... you know, losing a friend and a woman in one post. Would have been harsh.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:26 AM   #7
atatange1
High School JV

Saw it, loved it. It is very "Big Fish." Maybe they share a writer or something like that. It also had a Tim Burton style look, which matched the Big Fish style.
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:40 AM   #8
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

This show should be over in about a minute and a half.

She: What....was that?
He: I brought you back from the dead.
She: You did? Oh, thank you so much! I love you!
He: Wait!
She: What?
He: I love you too, but I can't hug you.
She: Why not?
He: If I touch you again, you'll die for good.
She: You can't ever touch me again?
He: Yeah. Sucks, I know. Wanna date?
She: ...Seriously?
He: Yeah.
She: Um, I have to catch the bus. Thanks for the rez; don't ever come near me again.

He: ...Sigh. I'm going about this necrophilia thing all wrong.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I really didn't enjoy the first episode. I felt like I was in the middle of a Dr. Seuss story. I was waiting for a Who from Who-ville to pop up.

That said, the reviews have been really great. I will try one more episode.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
Celeval
Pro Starter

My wife and I both liked it a lot. Very odd, but interesting.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #11
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Hmmm... When does one touch end and another begin. Just theoretically speaking, if he initiates the touch with something else, and never stops touching her, she'd still be alive, right?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #12
rjolley
College Starter

My wife and I watched it last night. It wasn't as good as the raves I'd heard, but it wasn't a bad show. Interesting idea, has potential, but the writing was a bit too quirky. I'll give it another episode or two and see if it grows on me more. It started to last night.

Also, the ending seemed rather abrupt...like there was supposed to be about 2-3 more minutes of show that they cut off.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Best new show of the season!!!

Second Episode was just as good, if not better than the first. Loved it... only hope that it keeps the strong ratings as the Pie-lette and lives a long, long life.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #14
samifan24
Pro Starter

I really enjoyed the second episode as well. It will be interesting to see where they go with the show every week. Will they just investigate murders or will we see more stories about Ned and his powers?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:42 AM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I loved Chuck asking Ned if he had any hidden talents, LOL! It's definately an interesting blend of genres. It's got the comedy/drama (more specifically, murder mystery drama) combined with a fantasy aspect and a whimsical quirky outlook.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:42 AM   #16
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

I like it as a mix between Big Fish and Amelie.

Not sure how long it will last but it is at least original for a TV Show and enjoyable.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #17
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

This show reminds me of Wonder Falls a bit. I really enjoy it's freshness.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 PM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

There is something about this show that I just love. Third episode was the best yet. Especially liked Chuck trying to deal with the fact that she's alive because someone else's life was taken... and realizing that the funeral director was a bad, bad man, so it wasn't so bad.

The quirkiness is still charming and the whole show just makes me want to smile for some reason. Maybe its the vivid colors, or the great, quick, sharp, witty dialog, or the wonderfully done characters, or the fairy tale-ish romance. Or all of them combined. This is fast becoming my favorite show (well, ok, The Office is still #1... but its got competition).
Old 10-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #19
samifan24
Pro Starter

I am still really enjoying this show as well. It is becoming apparent by now that the show is really geared towards women but I still enjoy it nonetheless.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think it's "geared towards women" in the same way that The Princess Bride was geared towards women . While it does have a romance in the center of it, I think having two out of the three leads being male and a story involving the morbid business of death, it also has an appeal to men.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:41 PM   #21
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Just watched it - quite enjoyed it. Like Imran, I think the Princess Bride influence is there at some level. I'm adding this to my TIVO list.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:04 AM   #22
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
The quirkiness is still charming and the whole show just makes me want to smile for some reason. Maybe its the vivid colors, or the great, quick, sharp, witty dialog, or the wonderfully done characters, or the fairy tale-ish romance. Or all of them combined. This is fast becoming my favorite show (well, ok, The Office is still #1... but its got competition).

This is my sentiments exactly something about the whole show just makes me smile a little.
-apoc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:46 AM   #23
rowech
Pro Starter

I think people like this show simply because it's different. There's never been a TV show that I can thnik is even close to this show. Like some others, I don't think I should like it but I do look forward to it more than just about all the other shows I watch.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:00 AM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well it's different in a good way . I've always been a fan of quirky shows myself, so this was right up my alley.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:19 AM   #25
Malificent
High School JV

It's witty, fast paced (not to be confused with action packed), colorful, quirky, and does more with a single facial expression than many shows do with 10 minutes of dialogue.

"Kick, Pooh, kick!"
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #26
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I wondered about this show. I have not watched it yet, but have been keeping episodes just because Chi McBride was in the show and I remember him from The Frighteners. I'll definitely start watching it now.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #27
rjolley
College Starter

I like the show, but there's something about the female lead's character that bothers me. It's quirky and odd, and something about it catches me and brings me in the next week.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #28
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I like the show, but there's something about the female lead's character that bothers me. It's quirky and odd, and something about it catches me and brings me in the next week.

Her magnificent rack?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #29
rjolley
College Starter

lol

Didn't think it was shown better than the other woman on the show.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #30
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

There's something about quirky shows that bothers people, who prefer their fart jokes straight up. I dunno - I enjoy Wes Anderson, Big Fish, and stuff like this - I think its great to have something that suggests rather than hits with a hammer "OH MY GAWD HE FARTED LETS LAUGH LOLZ" type thing. Different strokes, different folks I guess.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #31
rjolley
College Starter

The show itself is fine. My problem is more with the lead female character. I just want to tell her to shut up so we can get on with the mystery.

I understand it's part of the show, but it still irks me a bit.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, the lead female character (aka, Chuck) completes the show for me. Without that morbid romance, I'm not sure it'd be as good. It also triggers a sort of mystery framework for Olive. And a foil for Emerson. If it was just mysteries, I'd think it'd get too easily stale.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #33
rjolley
College Starter

I agree. It's a strange love-hate relationship.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #34
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh, the lead female character (aka, Chuck) completes the show for me. Without that morbid romance, I'm not sure it'd be as good. It also triggers a sort of mystery framework for Olive. And a foil for Emerson. If it was just mysteries, I'd think it'd get too easily stale.

Yeah, In fact - I'm more interested in the character finding out more about himself, than the mysteries themselves - a sort of anti-Law And Order, if you will. Either way, I'm not sure it will last.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #35
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well the ratings have been solid. It lost some audience in its 2nd week, but not horribly. Finished with a 6.6 rating and it appears the 3rd show didn't lose all that much off that.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #36
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Her magnificent rack?

Yes, there's quite a bit of display each week I've noticed.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 AM   #37
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Good episode, and apparently its been picked up for the season. Woo hoo!
Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 AM   #38
samifan24
Pro Starter

Yes, I enjoyed last night's ep as well and am happy it has been picked up for a full season. I was a little surprised that they chose to include a plane crashing into a building though.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:04 AM   #39
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Okay, I thought the Halloween episode was awesome. As far as I'm concerned, only The Office and Scrubs are a higher priority - and the latter primarily because I've watched 5-6 seasons of it.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #40
rjolley
College Starter

I must admit this is one of the few shows I actually look forward to watching every week. As much as I don't want to like parts of it, I like it a lot.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #41
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Unfortunately it is preempted by the CMA's this week .
Old 11-15-2007, 01:27 AM   #42
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Good episode again - I'm really enjoying the show. Its hard to find a character you don't root for.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:36 AM   #43
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I loved that Joel McHale got to play a part. Now hopefully he mentions it on The Soup .

And it appears Paul Reubens will show up on the next episode.

Once again, though, Chi McBride has the best lines: "Why do I always have to be here for this" LOL!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #44
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I love Olive's line as well, when Chuck tells her that Ned and her don't touch: "That's the saddest thing I ever heard, except for hurricanes and disasters and all those big-ticket items." "D
Old 11-21-2008, 04:45 AM   #45
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDB
Pushing Daisies Cancelled, Eli Stone + Dirty Sexy Money At Risk
20 November 2008 11:00 PM, PST

Popular U.S. show Pushing Daisies has been cancelled, according to the series' executive producer Bryan Fuller.

The news comes amid reports TV executives at America's ABC network have scrapped a host of hit shows including Eli Stone and Dirty Sexy Money after a slump in ratings.

And although it has not been confirmed whether law comedy Eli Stone, which recently featured a cameo from Katie Holmes, and Dirty Sexy Money have been pulled, Fuller admits his show will no longer run on the small screen.

Pushing Daisies, starring British actress Anna Friel, is about a pie-maker who has the power to bring the dead back to life. It premiered on the network in October 2007.

He tells E! Online, "(ABC president) Steve McPherson called me, and said 'We gave it the best shot we could'.

"It's very likely that Pushing Daisies will end after episode 13, which as you know, is a cliffhanger."

But Fuller, who also created the show, insists he isn't too upset about the move, because he has a lot of plans for the series away from the limits of TV.

He adds, "We are talking to DC Comics about doing comic books that will wrap up our storylines, and I already have a pitch for a movie ready to go.

"I'm really not feeling very boo-hoo about it. I am so proud of the show. We put together 22 really good episodes, and there is a lot to be proud of. I'm sure I'll be working with a lot of these people again, and I would love to do so."

The strike killed whatever buzz this show had.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #46
samifan24
Pro Starter

The good shows always go too early.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #47
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I don't watch Pushing Daisies but I do watch Dirty Sexy Money - I'll be pissed if DSM gets the boot

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 11-21-2008 at 07:09 AM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #48
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I am literally thinking about going to ABC HQ and punching the programming execs in the nuts

Mostly for "Pushing Daisies". I watch DSM, but don't feel anywhere near the love that I do for Daisies.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #49
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
I am literally thinking about going to ABC HQ and punching the programming execs in the nuts

Mostly for "Pushing Daisies". I watch DSM, but don't feel anywhere near the love that I do for Daisies.

it had a decent time slot, but it couldn't pull the numbers anymore. it's sad, really, but not unexpected.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #50
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

TVguide.com is reporting that all 3 shows are cancelled (although the 13 original episodes will air.) Mrs. E will be annoyed, she really liked Pushing Daisies and Eli Stone.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-21-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote