Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Chuck Season One Discussion

I love this show so far. Just awesome. The humor is right up my ally and the action sequences are incredibly well done.

+ 1 point for the Astro Diapers.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
saldana
Pro Starter

i am liking it so far...the journey ring tone was great
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
saldana
Pro Starter

dola, i think the whole concept of the NSA and CIA having shoot to kill orders regarding each others agents is a bit off, but barring that, an enjoyable way to spend an hour.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I saw this pilot a few weeks ago, and if the other episodes are close to the pilot's blend of humor and action I believe I have found my new favorite tv show.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I saw this pilot a few weeks ago, and if the other episodes are close to the pilot's blend of humor and action I believe I have found my new favorite tv show.

Ditto. Seems like a show most people on FOFC would like.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

I didn't watch this and instead opted for Big Bang Theory as new tv show to watch simply because the chick is smoking hot and one of the guys was in Garden State... it's a little too smart to pull off humor, and I am on the fence. The sharp, not so cozy, fence.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Flasch186
Coordinator

BTW Zach Levi was one of my best friends in L.A. but we havnt talked in a long time. HE is a truly nice guy, straight edge w/ very little edge (and I mean it in a good way), kind to everyone, awkward like Chuck (in a good way), and just fun to be around. I dont think I could consider him a friend, more of an acquaintance now since we havnt talked in so long but I'm rooting for him and thought the show was great. He is truly deserving of this and I know he'll be great.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-24-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
bbor
Pro Starter

I enjoyed this show...i hope it sticks around...which i hear it won;t be

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
Flasch186
Coordinator

how can you "hear" it wont be? It just came out on Monday night before Heroes!! I am skeptical that any decision or thoughts on that have even begun to occur at NBC. Whether or not it lasts or doesnt isnt what Im stating just the fact that the question has arisen at all, at this point, I am.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-24-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:25 PM   #10
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
how can you "hear" it wont be? It just came out on Monday night before Heroes!! I am skeptical that any decision or thoughts on that have even begun to occur at NBC. Whether or not it lasts or doesnt isnt what Im stating just the fact that the question has arisen at all, at this point, I am.

Just from what i have been reading in the rags.Most "critics" have panned this show.It's too bad,as i said i enjoyed it.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
Coop
High School JV

I wonder what reviews you are reading because all of the ones I've read have been postive. Btw, great pilot
Old 09-24-2007, 11:53 PM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I really liked it. Especially how silly it is. I think it'll be a great one. I saw the no commerical pilot on On Demand a few nights ago and watched the pilot again tonight and I still really liked it .
Old 09-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #13
Schmidty
Coordinator

I thought it was great.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #14
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Are you guys serious? Any show that pertains to be about a geek, and he has a Mac?

Last edited by Crapshoot : 09-25-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #15
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
it seems to be one of those "OH MY GAWD HE;s A DORK" kinda shows - first show in, we've hit the hawt chick secret agent, the bad ass secret agent, yada yada. Adam Baldwin's Firefly stint has earned him major points in my book, but this show looks like it could be awful.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:42 AM   #16
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Dola,
it seems to be one of those "OH MY GAWD HE;s A DORK" kinda shows - first show in, we've hit the hawt chick secret agent, the bad ass secret agent, yada yada. Adam Baldwin's Firefly stint has earned him major points in my book, but this show looks like it could be awful.

Every party has a pooper, and that pooper is you.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:49 AM   #17
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Every party has a pooper, and that pooper is you.

Isn't the old fart your usual role?

Look, I really wanted to like the show, but those little things annoyed me. I'll probably give it another week or so to see if the show does something (ie, what's the tagline week to week? Is it CSI v 2.0, or more of a season-long drama).
Old 09-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Adam Baldwin's Firefly stint has earned him major points in my book, but this show looks like it could be awful.

This is why I am giving the show a shot. Sadly, he is not Jayne and all I want is to see him be Jayne.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Eh... I still like the show . I think the storyline is great. I like the main character (though he doesn't particularly look like a nerd... and giving him console blisters doesn't work... though Morgan does). It seems silly ("not an accountant" line... which kicked ass) and fun.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #20
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Just from what i have been reading in the rags.Most "critics" have panned this show.It's too bad,as i said i enjoyed it.
Yep, because it's critics that keep shows on the air. Arrested Development for example...uh, oops.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #21
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Yep, because it's critics that keep shows on the air. Arrested Development for example...uh, oops.

Critics kept it on for two years longer than the network wanted to. But critics "panning" a show means nothing if it gets ratings. This is a fun show. I'm definitely rooting for it.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 PM   #22
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You seriously think Chuck is better than Arrested Development? Seriously? AD was possibly the greatest TV sitcom - ever.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:21 PM   #23
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
AD was possibly the greatest TV sitcom - ever.

Man. Not to pick on you, but......ever? Although I despised the show, I can totally see why people liked it so much. But to say it was one of the best shows ever seems kind of silly. But that's just my opinion against yours.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Man. Not to pick on you, but......ever?

Well... he's right.

Ok, I may say Seinfeld is #1 most of the time, but Arrested Development is not far behind at all, and on some days, it's my #1.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
You seriously think Chuck is better than Arrested Development? Seriously? AD was possibly the greatest TV sitcom - ever.

I can't speak for T-Zilla, but I don't think he was implying that all. I think he was just using AD as an example of a show that was loved by critics, but was cancelled due to lack of viewership. I don't think he made any claim about quality either way.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 PM   #26
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Eh... I still like the show . I think the storyline is great. I like the main character (though he doesn't particularly look like a nerd... and giving him console blisters doesn't work... though Morgan does). It seems silly ("not an accountant" line... which kicked ass) and fun.

Chuck looks way too much like Jimmy Fallon for my tastes. It's eerie and I don't like it.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:43 AM   #27
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Looks interesting but i am not sure if I will continue watching.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #28
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I can't speak for T-Zilla, but I don't think he was implying that all. I think he was just using AD as an example of a show that was loved by critics, but was cancelled due to lack of viewership. I don't think he made any claim about quality either way.
Well put - those were my intentions exactly.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #29
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm kinda confused about the argument here. Chuck is getting good reviews overall and has some of the most positive advance press of any new show this season. There are some negative reviews, but that's gonna happen with anything. If anything, it will be the critics who help save the show if the ratings tank.

I thought the show was pretty great and hope it sticks around for a while. It has a great offbeat sense of humor with fun action scenes and promising characters. A nice change of pace from boiring procedurals. I'd also recommend CW's Reaper to anyone that liked this. It has many of the same qualities.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #30
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Very bad example. The critics did in fact help keep Arrested Development on the air. The ratings were dismal from the beginning and it stayed on the air for three years. It would not have done so without the amazing critical reception it got.

Last season, Friday Night Lights was 95th and 30 Rock was 102nd in the Nielsen ratings. You don't think the critics helped keep those shows on the air?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #31
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yep, there was even that joke that 30 Rock got the Arrested Development Emmy Award. Ie, ratings struggling comedies which get the Emmy for Best Comedy in order to help keep it on the air.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #32
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Good second episode. I love the action sequences in the show. They're so well done and I didn't expect that coming into this. Hope it keeps going.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #33
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Good second episode. I love the action sequences in the show. They're so well done and I didn't expect that coming into this. Hope it keeps going.

Funny, I really enjoyed the pilot but felt that the second episode lost some steam. It just didn't seem as funny to me.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #34
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I noticed a Lost reference in there when the doctor is examining Chuck. I like the show so far.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #35
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It wasn't as funny, but then again, it was more character development than a "solve problem" plot.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #36
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729 View Post
I noticed a Lost reference in there when the doctor is examining Chuck. I like the show so far.
That was funny stuff. Both my wife and I heard it, we looked at each other and laughed.

I agree that this episode was a bit "off" compared to the pilot, but it's only the second show and they're still laying the backstory foundation.

However, the NSA guy is WAY BEYOND ANNOYING. He's probably the worst character in any of the new shows. Argh.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #37
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Really?! I really like Adam Baldwin's character, John Casey (ie, the NSA guy). He's amusing as the straight laced NSA killer.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #38
Flasch186
Coordinator

me too.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #39
DanGarion
Coordinator

I just feel they need to felsh the show out a bit more and get some things set, I know it's still early in the show but some of the stuff is a little too goofy still.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #40
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I think the show is aiming for goofy. It's part of the charm.

There's nothing that jumps out at me so far that I'd want to change.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #41
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
I think the show is aiming for goofy. It's part of the charm.

There's nothing that jumps out at me so far that I'd want to change.
But this isn't Get Smart.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #42
Raiders Army
Coordinator

It's a good show. Much better than Studio 60. The chick reminds me of Christine Taylor a lot.

Anyhow, it wasn't a bad episode last night. Could've been better, could've been a lot worse. I hope this show keeps getting eyeballs, but with Prison Break and MNF, it's tough. I try to watch all three, but MNF has been losing it lately for me.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 AM   #43
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Mea Culpa. The show amuses me enough that I try and catch it now, and though the cheese factor is through the roof, its amusing enough.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:24 AM   #44
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'm really enjoying Chuck, and so I apologize in advance for the inevitable cancellation.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 AM   #45
gi
College Prospect

This is my wife's and I favorite new show. The only can't miss for us. Anyone know how they are doing rating wise?
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #46
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Two new episodes of Chuck this Thursday at 8 pm EST and 10 pm EST.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #47
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Two new episodes of Chuck this Thursday at 8 pm EST and 10 pm EST.

Interesting, serving up the last offerings for fans or just airing the remaining shows they have finished and waiting out the writers strike?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #48
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

It's already been picked up for a full season, but you have to show the last two episodes at some point.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #49
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
It's already been picked up for a full season, but you have to show the last two episodes at some point.

Excellent to hear that. I didn't think that showing them one after another would be the best way to go if you are going to continue the program. Surprised we don't get one a week. I also thought I heard of shows that were going to be continued, sacked because of the writers strike. Hence my question concerning Chuck.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #50
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi View Post
Excellent to hear that. I didn't think that showing them one after another would be the best way to go if you are going to continue the program. Surprised we don't get one a week. I also thought I heard of shows that were going to be continued, sacked because of the writers strike. Hence my question concerning Chuck.

Maybe they are trying to boost the ratings for the Celebrity Apprentice. It's interesting that they are showing one before that show and one after it.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote