05. Wii Play (Wii) - 256,800
06. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii) - 218,100
07. Mario Strikers Charged (Wii) - 147,400
08. Guitar Hero II (PS2) - 145,400
09. Mario Party 8 (Wii) - 138,300
10. Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s (PS2) - 127,100
11. Madden NFL 08 (Wii)
12. Madden NFL 08 (Xbox)
13. Brain Age 2: More Training In Minutes A Day (DS)
14. Two Worlds (Xbox 360)
15. Pokemon Diamond (DS)
16. High School Musical: Makin' The Cut (DS)
17. Guitar Hero II (Xbox 360)
18. Madden NFL 08 (PSP)
19. Pokemon Pearl (DS)
20. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 (Xbox 360)

Wii beats DS for the second month running, impressive.

Xbox 360 price drop enables it to double PS3 sales and to beat the PS2 for only the second month since the 360 launched.

Metroid Prime 3 with good numbers despite only being on sale for four days of the reported period. Bioshock had good numbers as well.

Madden and Guitar Hero are juggernauts but we knew that already.

Either Wii owners read Madden reviews or just don't care about the series in general, sales down near the OG Xbox. PS3 users obviously didn't care that much about 30 fps (considering installed base of course) or maybe they just didn't have anything else to play.

Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Madden and Guitar Hero are juggernauts but we knew that already.

I don't have time to look it up, but I think those numbers still may be down from the same time last year for Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Those Bioshock numbers are impressive. I wonder how much they contributed towards the huge 360 sales spike. Certainly the first month in a while that Microsoft should be feeling very good about. Of course, the Wii continues to amaze.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-13-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Those Bioshock numbers are impressive. I wonder how much they contributed towards the huge 360 sales spike. Certainly the first month in a while that Microsoft should be feeling very good about. Of course, the Wii continues to amaze.

And I'll try to say before the spinmaster gets in here - Sony has to be concerned at how short-lived the closed gap between them and M$ was after the price drop of the PS3. Madden being just under double on the PS2 compared to the PS3 is also a very dramatic message about the PS3 imo.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Yeah, the PS3 basically needs FF13 and MGS4 to come out tomorrow alongside a price cut to $299.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
And I'll try to say before the spinmaster gets in here - Sony has to be concerned at how short-lived the closed gap between them and M$ was after the price drop of the PS3. Madden being just under double on the PS2 compared to the PS3 is also a very dramatic message about the PS3 imo.

[spin]Potential buyers have heard rumors of the PS3 price drop before the holidays and are waiting until then to purchase so this drop in sales was 100% expected.[/spin]
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Well the true SDF spin is that if you add PS3, PS2, and PSP together they utterly smoke Microsoft and Nintendo (well, as long as you separate the Wii and DS).

Then I think you're supposed to link to some Killzone 2 screenshots.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

When the PS2 has 15x the installed base of the PS3, if it *doesn't* sell at least twice as many copies, then it's a danger signal for EA.

I'd be more worried about the PS3 hardware numbers coming in right at just about double the Game Boy Advance than I would be about the PS2 version of Madden outselling its big brother 2-to-1.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
When the PS2 has 15x the installed base of the PS3, if it *doesn't* sell at least twice as many copies, then it's a danger signal for EA.

I'd be more worried about the PS3 hardware numbers coming in right at just about double the Game Boy Advance than I would be about the PS2 version of Madden outselling its big brother 2-to-1.
What were Madden sales on the 360 compared to the XBOX last year? I'd be pretty shocked if they were this dramatic.

Maybe it's a side effect of the PS3 not selling, but the pure numbers are still very bad news. If nothing else, no one decided it was finally time to go from the PS2 to the PS3 when Madden came out.

I just don't see how this isn't bad news, even if it is an indirect outcome of the bad sales. We keep saying the PS3 is just waiting for games. It gets one of the biggest games every season and does very little with it.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
gstelmack
Pro Starter

And as expected, the 360 dip that allowed the PS3 to catch up last month was because everyone knew the price drop was right around the corner, waited, and blew the PS3 out of the water this month.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
What were Madden sales on the 360 compared to the XBOX last year? I'd be pretty shocked if they were this dramatic.

Frankly, since the Xbox hasn't been commercially available since Nov. 2005, I'd be pretty shocked if they *weren't* fairly dramatic. The Xbox has had a stable userbase for the last 18 months, while the PS2 still has growth potential.

Quote:
Maybe it's a side effect of the PS3 not selling, but the pure numbers are still very bad news. If nothing else, no one decided it was finally time to go from the PS2 to the PS3 when Madden came out.

I don't know if even Madden is good enough to convince somebody to spend $560 on the jump. Madden plus might be, but not 'just' Madden.

[quote[I just don't see how this isn't bad news, even if it is an indirect outcome of the bad sales. We keep saying the PS3 is just waiting for games. It gets one of the biggest games every season and does very little with it.[/quote]

If a porcupine whacks you in the face with quills, are you going to feel it much if, while stumbling around blindly, your thumb pokes a piece of wood and you get a splinter?

Maybe in an abstract manner, but the quills in your freaking *face* are going to provide a much greater distraction.

The Madden sales aren't *good* news, but give the bad news Sony has racked up in the last 10 months, they're definitely a splinter by comparison.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
The Madden sales aren't *good* news, but give the bad news Sony has racked up in the last 10 months, they're definitely a splinter by comparison.

Fair enough. Can we agree that the Madden sales are further proof that things aren't getting any better?

Quote:
Old 09-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Apparently, the Surge of PS3's is turning out just as bad as that other famous Surge.

(Ok, that is my one political joke in this thread)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 09-13-2007 at 09:04 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #14
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Fair enough. Can we agree that the Madden sales are further proof that things aren't getting any better?

No argument.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #15
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
No argument.

Sweet ...

That's really what I'm trying to say - this is bad news because things are just as bad, if not worse after the release of a hot game. that's all.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
No argument.

Sorry, the rules for these threads, and this forum in general, prohibit this kind of reply.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Sorry, the rules for these threads, and this forum in general, prohibit this kind of reply.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:33 PM   #18
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

Your mother wears army boots.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A gamespot article analyzing the sales numbers:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6178770...stnews;title;0

A few interesting tidbits:

- Almost a billion dollar in sales between software, hardware, and accessories in August alone. That is up almost 33% from last year's August suggesting all of the next gen consoles are boosting sales.

- Bioshock outsold the next non Madden title by over a 2-1 margin. It along with Madden and the price cut is being attributed as the main reason for the bump in sales of the 360.

- Analysts are predicting a continued trend of increased sales of 360's due to Halo in September and throughout the holiday season.

- Analysts believe the Wii supply will not meet the demand until sometime in 2008 and supply issues are the reason that sales dropped slightly from the record setting July.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't have time to look it up, but I think those numbers still may be down from the same time last year for Madden.

They are down, actually quite a bit down. Those numbers are roughly 10-15% off last year's numbers depending on your source. That's a pretty scary drop for EA.

PS3 numbers are downright horrible. I'm still trying to figure out why Sony can't notice that the best strategy for them is being stated on every message board and gaming site on the internet. Someone needs to tell them that people aren't calling for a price cut just because they want it cheaper. It's because the market can't handle a price point higher than $399 right now. Pull your head out.

Worse yet, Sony is getting beat by a company in MS who is absolutely overwhelmed with repair requests right now and is a customer service disaster. Not only have they switched to 7 day shipping to save money (and lengthen down time for consumers by one week). their repair times have ballooned 2 to 3 times. It's likely going to get worse before it gets better.

Meanwhile, the Wii just keeps on selling. I've noticed they haven't even been advertising that much of late. They're just selling it on word of mouth at this point. Best way to do it.

Bill Harris tossed up a column discussing the NPD numbers for August......

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...f-week_13.html
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:58 AM   #21
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
They are down, actually quite a bit down. Those numbers are roughly 10-15% off last year's numbers depending on your source. That's a pretty scary drop for EA.
Thanks for looking that up.. I'm pretty sure it has been a 10-15% each year since they got the exclusive deal.

They too, like Sony, don't seem to get the message.

Quote:
Old 09-14-2007, 07:00 AM   #22
Bee
Pro Starter

So at this rate how long for the PS3 to catch up to the 360? My calculator keeps giving me an error when I try to figure it out.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:28 AM   #23
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's the most recent WEEKLY numbers from Japan. Of interest is that every single console saw a significant sales drop last week. It's really starting to look like a lot of consumers are starting to put off any console purchasing decisions because of rumored price drops and the upcoming holidays.

1) Nintendo DS Lite: 77,488 [5,264,248] -16,851
2) Nintendo Wii: 29,088 [2,619,238] -10,283
3) Playstation Portable: 15,564 [1,385,230] -6,632
4) PlayStation 2: 13,360 [559,434] -920
5) PlayStation 3: 13,248 [675,170] -4,820
6) Xbox 360: 1,286 [142,644] -349
7) Game Boy Micro: 428 [24,939] +165
8 )Game Boy Advance SP: 122 [20,446] -73
9) GameCube: 82 [9,547] +9
10) Nintendo DS: 0 [2,756] +0
11) Game Boy Advance: 0 [935] -16
Old 09-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #24
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

PS3 looking good in preseason
Old 09-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #25
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Bill Harris tossed up a column discussing the NPD numbers for August......

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...f-week_13.html

His last sentence cracks me up. They're already irrelevant.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
And as expected, the 360 dip that allowed the PS3 to catch up last month was because everyone knew the price drop was right around the corner, waited, and blew the PS3 out of the water this month.

Quote:
Here's the most recent WEEKLY numbers from Japan. Of interest is that every single console saw a significant sales drop last week. It's really starting to look like a lot of consumers are starting to put off any console purchasing decisions because of rumored price drops and the upcoming holidays.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner - gstelmack - COME ON DOWN!

Quote:
Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 AM   #27
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI to Halo purchasers. Free Gold membership preview Sept. 25-27.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....CMP=rdr0001143
Old 09-14-2007, 08:35 AM   #28
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
PS3 looking good in preseason

What better PS3 sales or lead in Chinese toys?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New PS3 supplier added by Sony, fueling the rumor that the 40 GB PS3 will soon be a reality........

http://www.evertiq.com/newsx/read_ne...sid=8755&cat=1
Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #30
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
DING! DING! DING! We have a winner - gstelmack - COME ON DOWN!

Woohoo! I'll take your first round pick in the WOOF draft.

Oh, wait...

Old 09-14-2007, 10:59 AM   #31
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

With the release of the PSP2000 (PSP lite), I'm looking to buy a PSP right now. The Daxter bundle doesn't look too bad.

Silver PSP2000, 1GB memory, and Daxter/Family Guy for $199

Does anyone think the PSP is going to dip in price again so soon after dropping to $169?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:28 AM   #32
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
With the release of the PSP2000 (PSP lite), I'm looking to buy a PSP right now. The Daxter bundle doesn't look too bad.

Silver PSP2000, 1GB memory, and Daxter/Family Guy for $199

Does anyone think the PSP is going to dip in price again so soon after dropping to $169?

I don't think it will. Which was one of the reasons I picked up the PSP Daxter bundle yesterday. That and I finally decided that Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness is a must purchase title for me which probably won't get ported to any other system so I finally have a reason to buy a PSP.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #33
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
I don't think it will. Which was one of the reasons I picked up the PSP Daxter bundle yesterday. That and I finally decided that Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness is a must purchase title for me which probably won't get ported to any other system so I finally have a reason to buy a PSP.

How is it? Any good? I'm thinking that the PSP is the most affordable/flexible game system right now with ports of games from XBOX and the PS3.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #34
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Oh, and I'm also more inclined to buy the PSP because of the up-and-coming release of the PSP port of Final Fantasy Tactics.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #35
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Oh, and I'm also more inclined to buy the PSP because of the up-and-coming release of the PSP port of Final Fantasy Tactics.

I might buy that also, but will probably wait on a few reviews and comments from others to see if the new stuff justifies another purchase. So far there is nothing out on the PSP that is an automatic purchase for me. Monster Hunter Freedom 2 looks tempting. (I own the original Monster Hunter for the PS2.) Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth looks interesting. (I own the original PS version.) On the PSP, the Jeanne D'Arc/Brave Story/Tales of the World/Metal Gear Solid/Metal Gear Acid/GTA/Katamari and other games all seem worth playing, but I don't know if any of them would hold my interest for any length of time. What games have you been looking at?

The new PSP seem like a nice system. I have not used it that much, and don't have the original model to compare it against. One annoying thing about my PSP is that it has a small row of pixels (1x8 maybe?) in the top left quadrant of the screen that are almost always "white". It can be a distraction sometimes, but I suppose I will get use to it. I never had any pixel problems with my 2 DS systems.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:41 PM   #36
twothree
College Prospect

I should add there are several games like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance that are out for both the PS2 and PSP in which I have purchased the PS2 version. However, I didn't own a PSP at that time.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #37
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
I might buy that also, but will probably wait on a few reviews and comments from others to see if the new stuff justifies another purchase. So far there is nothing out on the PSP that is an automatic purchase for me. Monster Hunter Freedom 2 looks tempting. (I own the original Monster Hunter for the PS2.) Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth looks interesting. (I own the original PS version.) On the PSP, the Jeanne D'Arc/Brave Story/Tales of the World/Metal Gear Solid/Metal Gear Acid/GTA/Katamari and other games all seem worth playing, but I don't know if any of them would hold my interest for any length of time. What games have you been looking at?

The new PSP seem like a nice system. I have not used it that much, and don't have the original model to compare it against. One annoying thing about my PSP is that it has a small row of pixels (1x8 maybe?) in the top left quadrant of the screen that are almost always "white". It can be a distraction sometimes, but I suppose I will get use to it. I never had any pixel problems with my 2 DS systems.

On my way to Gamestop after work, I called them up and they had stock of the Daxter bundle.

I'm probably picking up Jeanne D'Arc, my friend says it's pretty great and worth the $$$. I've played through Valkyre Profile before, and it doesn't really appeal to me to play it a 2nd time around , considering it's a direct port (unlike FFT, which has a lot of added stuff... I can't wait for the cutscenes.)

Jeanne should keep me occupied until FFT is released in early October.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #38
sabotai
General Manager

"When my console puked a few months ago, I had a replacement unit in less than two weeks, and overall, I was satisfied with the service. Now, though, the replacement time seems to be 4-6 weeks, which is totally beyond what anyone would consider as reasonable."

My 360 just RRoD'ed on me and reading this is not fun...

(EDIT: That's from Bill Harris' blog linked above, btw)

Last edited by sabotai : 09-14-2007 at 06:00 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #39
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Just an fyi for anyone purchasing a PSP or DS, Circuit City has buy one get one 50% off sale on their handheld games.

There is also a potential $169.99 pricematch from Target on the Dax bundle. The cheapassgamer forums has the info on it, but since it involves a cached link (but people have still got it to work) I'll let anyone interested head over that way on their own.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #40
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
Just an fyi for anyone purchasing a PSP or DS, Circuit City has buy one get one 50% off sale on their handheld games.

There is also a potential $169.99 pricematch from Target on the Dax bundle. The cheapassgamer forums has the info on it, but since it involves a cached link (but people have still got it to work) I'll let anyone interested head over that way on their own.

The $169.99 pricematch was a mistake on Target's part, IIRC. They've corrected it and relisted the price at $199.99

Got the PSP 2000 and Damn. This thing's light as a feather.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #41
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Actually, I think Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness is an expanded port of Disgaea: Hour of Darkness from the PS2.

It's got some PSP-specific stuff in it, but it's mostly a port of the PS2 game if I'm not mistaken.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #42
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Screen shots of new PS3 SKU now available. Looks like the new 40 GB PS3 is on the way.

http://pocketnews.cocolog-nifty.com/.../070912_01.jpg
Old 09-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #43
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New announcements coming out on 1UP's podcast concerning Tokyo Game show info. DualShock 3 and Ace Combat 6 confirmed for the PS3. Also, spin-off versions of Kingdom Hearts will be released on consoles other than the PS3. The main franchise will remain on the PS3.

Quote:
(PS3) (RPG) Eternal Sonata (Trustybell) with 2 extra characters.
(PS3) (RPG) Steambot Chronicles 2
(PS3) (RPG) Persona 4
(PS3) (Flight Sim) Ace Combat 6
(PS3) (RPG) White Knight Story will be playable!
(PS3) (RPG) Star Ocean 4
(PS3) (Action Adventure RPG) Yakuza 3

(PSP) (RPG) Steambot Chronicles: Vehicle Battle Tournament
(PSP) (Action RPG) Kingdom Hearts Spin off! More Kingdom Hearts to be announced for other platforms.
(PSP) (Golf) Hot Shots Golf 2
(PSP) Patapon (LocoRoco fans may love it)

Link:
http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3149993

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-16-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:03 PM   #44
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Gamersyde has a video of the first 5 minutes of Mass Effect up and there is going to be a bunch of new info released about the game today on various sites. From watching the first 5 minutes, the game looks amazing. It looks like the 360 will exclusively have the GOTY and the runner up to the GOTY award for consoles.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_5061_en.html

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-17-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #45
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Gamersyde has a video of the first 5 minutes of Mass Effect up and there is going to be a bunch of new info released about the game today on various sites. From watching the first 5 minutes, the game looks amazing. It looks like the 360 will exclusively have the GOTY and the runner up to the GOTY award for consoles.

Pfft.

Lair and Heaven Sword, n00b.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #46
MJ4H
Coordinator

lol
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #47
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

While I realize you're just fanning the flames with your last comment, there are a lot of games yet to come this year. Probably a bit premature to annoint a game that hasn't even come out yet. Heck, MattJones4Heisman has already proclaimed Mario Galaxy as the GOTY. Mass Effect has to get in line evidently.......
Old 09-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #48
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
One annoying thing about my PSP is that it has a small row of pixels (1x8 maybe?) in the top left quadrant of the screen that are almost always "white". It can be a distraction sometimes, but I suppose I will get use to it. I never had any pixel problems with my 2 DS systems.

After using my PSP 2000 over the weekend, my pixel problem has improved. Now it is just one pixel that is about 50% of the time stuck in a all white state.

Picked up a usb cable ($6) and the component video out cable ($20) yesterday. It is real easy to transfer pictures and mp3s to the PSP, no software needed while using Windows XP. The component video out produces a reasonable picture on a 20" TV.

Also picked up a copy of Metal Gear Acid 2 ($10) and Monster Hunter Freedom 2 ($40) at Wal-Mart for my first games.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #49
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
While I realize you're just fanning the flames with your last comment, there are a lot of games yet to come this year. Probably a bit premature to annoint a game that hasn't even come out yet. Heck, MattJones4Heisman has already proclaimed Mario Galaxy as the GOTY. Mass Effect has to get in line evidently.......

He's proclaimed that it has a chance to be game of the year. MJ4H is not dramatic enough to make bold predictions. Eagles is making a prediction, nothing more, nothing less.

Odds are, the PS3 won't have a GOTY candidate in the top 5.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #50
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
After using my PSP 2000 over the weekend, my pixel problem has improved. Now it is just one pixel that is about 50% of the time stuck in a all white state.

Picked up a usb cable ($6) and the component video out cable ($20) yesterday. It is real easy to transfer pictures and mp3s to the PSP, no software needed while using Windows XP. The component video out produces a reasonable picture on a 20" TV.

Also picked up a copy of Metal Gear Acid 2 ($10) and Monster Hunter Freedom 2 ($40) at Wal-Mart for my first games.

Tell me how MHF2 plays without the multiplayer option. I was under the impression that its replayability relied on the fact that the console version had the multiplayer.