Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
2007 College Football Week 3 thread

Have at it!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

Just turned the UMD/WVU game..

Surprised to see it only 7-7 and the 1st quarter is almost over.

Everyone I heard was calling for a WVU blowout (and I would have to agree).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Impressive stand here by Maryland.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
wade moore
lolzcat

Worst. Throwaway. Ever.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

Two future Rutgers opponents.

Would love to see Steffy make that same throw in 2 weeks.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Just turned the UMD/WVU game..

Surprised to see it only 7-7 and the 1st quarter is almost over.

Everyone I heard was calling for a WVU blowout (and I would have to agree).

I was fully expecting a blowout, especially after the first play.

Terps still aren't looking great and WVU tends to come on strong in the 2nd half, lot of football left to play...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
wade moore
lolzcat

Side Note - This is an ENTIRELY different crowd and atmosphere than when I went to watch them beat up on W&M last year.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
wade moore
lolzcat

What the HELL was that play call?

Quote:
Old 09-13-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
Logan
Head Coach

WVU hasn't impressed me much in the one and a half games I've seen on TV so far this year.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And West Virginia breaks out in the 2nd half again (so far). It seems they just wear down teams and then run crazy in the 3rd and 4th Quarter.

And Devine looks incredibly scary! Add to Slaton and White!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

Air force against TCU. Air Force hung tight stopping TCU twice inside the 5 yard line and kept the game close 10-3 until TCU scored a score in the mid 4th quarter to break it open 17-3;(
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #12
timmynausea
College Starter

I guess I'm biased, but West Virginia looks great to me. White, Slaton, Schmitt and Devine splitting carries out of the same backfield is just unbelievable.

What I'm wondering is how Friedgen will slight the WVU coaching staff tonight. He has a bit of a history of dissing Rich Rodriguez's staff.

Last edited by timmynausea : 09-13-2007 at 10:08 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #13
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Air force against TCU. Air Force hung tight stopping TCU twice inside the 5 yard line and kept the game close 10-3 until TCU scored a score in the mid 4th quarter to break it open 17-3;(

I spoke to soon.Air Force has scored two TDs in about a 3 minute span one being on a 75 yard run. Just now, TCU was marching down the field for the apparent game winning FG when they had the ball at Air Forces 21 with 45 seconds and threw an interception in the endzone.Why were thye threwing? Overtime

Last edited by Galaril : 09-13-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #14
Galaril
Pro Starter

TCU misses FG in OT.................And Air Force Bam.
AF 20-17.
tcu has only 3 games in the last three years and this is number 4.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:33 PM   #15
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I guess I'm biased, but West Virginia looks great to me. White, Slaton, Schmitt and Devine splitting carries out of the same backfield is just unbelievable.

What I'm wondering is how Friedgen will slight the WVU coaching staff tonight. He has a bit of a history of dissing Rich Rodriguez's staff.

I'm with you. I think Maryland is, at least, an 8-win team in '07. I'm real pleased with the win--we didn't blow them out, but I never felt like the game was in question (even when it was within 7).

We haven't been completely dominating, but I'm pretty pleased to get through our first three games with our closest game being 17-points. Our early season OOC schedule isn't super tough, but we have two 2006 bowl teams (Maryland and W. Michigan), two rivals that probably hold the game in higher regard than we do (Maryland and Marshall), and, unlike a lot of top 25 teams, we have already played/won two road games (and in a span of five days, no less).

I'm really looking forward to seeing Devine and Slaton on the field together. It usually takes a little while for freshmen to get in Coach Rod's good graces, but Devine has to be getting close to earning his trust.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 PM   #16
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
TCU misses FG in OT.................And Air Force Bam.
AF 20-17.
tcu has only 3 games in the last three years and this is number 4.

It is tough to turn around and play on a Thursday, after playing the prior Saturday. TCU was probably pretty beat up, physically and emotionally, after that Texas loss.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:42 PM   #17
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It is tough to turn around and play on a Thursday, after playing the prior Saturday. TCU was probably pretty beat up, physically and emotionally, after that Texas loss.

Yeah,...............um Air Force also played last week on Saturday. Air Force is 3-0 which is the first 3-0 start since 1987 when they went 12-1 and finished fourth in the Rankings.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-13-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 PM   #18
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah,...............um Air Force also played last week on Saturday. Air Force is 3-0 which is the first 3-0 start since 1987 when they went 12-1 and finished fourth in the Rankings.

I know they played last week. They also won last week, didn't get their hearts torn out against a top 10 team that they consider a rival, and got to play this game at home.

Still, great win for Air Force. They have some pretty tough (underrated) competition the next two weeks, but if they can get through BYU and Navy, they could cruise into that game against Notre Dame at 10-0, which would be pretty exciting.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:03 PM   #19
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I know they played last week. They also won last week, didn't get their hearts torn out against a top 10 team that they consider a rival, and got to play this game at home.

Still, great win for Air Force. They have some pretty tough (underrated) competition the next two weeks, but if they can get through BYU and Navy, they could cruise into that game against Notre Dame at 10-0, which would be pretty exciting.

No I agree, TCU had a hell of a tough loss last week to the Longhorns and this one won't help either. Great game fun to watch.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:51 AM   #20
Butter
Coordinator

Great comeback by Air Force. That 4th and 1 option play at their own 29 was a joy to watch.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #21
miked
College Starter

Got me some tickets to the GT-BC game this weekend. I've never been to a tech game before but from what I hear it should be fun. Go Jackets! And RU of course against Middle West Norfolk State Junior Community College.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #22
st.cronin
General Manager

Great win for Air Force, no way did I think they had a chance to win that game.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #23
JeeberD
General Manager

Big rivalry game for the Miners against NMSU this weekend. Their offense is very similar to Texas Tech's, so the defense didn't have to learn much of anything new at practice this weekend. And after giving Tech a major scare, I'm sure we can tear into a tear with far inferior talent running the same scheme...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Can't wait for that pillow fight in the Big House to see who's the 118th best team in Division 1-A.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #25
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Great win for Air Force, no way did I think they had a chance to win that game.

Yes B-I-G win for the Falcons.3-0 BYU next up.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #26
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Another reason why Colorado and the West is not the South

Quote:
n DeBerry’s office, March 2003, the coach spoke in his classic southern drawl: “Nah, don’ chew go thankin’ football ’round here is like it is back home,” DeBerry said to a fellow Southerner. “Cause it ain’t like that.”

No coach, it ain’t.

Even with Air Force’s stunning 20-17 overtime victory over Texas Christian, it ain’t.

You see, back home, folks actually go to games to see the home team play.

Day of the week doesn’t matter. Time of day doesn’t matter either.

Where was Colorado Springs? Where were the rest of the Air Force fans? Official attendance was 31,556. And that was a joke. There might have been a family or two more than 22,000 in a stadium that seats 46,692.

The night was beautiful. Cloudless. A slight crispness filled the air. The home team was undefeated and coming off a road upset.

Methinks because it was a beautiful evening, peope were actually out and about. I saw plenty of joggers and bikers, people hanging out downtown and those simply out walking around the neighborhoods.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I saw plenty of joggers and bikers, people hanging out downtown and those simply out walking around the neighborhoods.

And I just have a really hard time understanding why people would be doing any of those things when there's a college football game to watch.

And I say that as someone who is probably at best only at or around the median for interest in college football in the South.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #28
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And I just have a really hard time understanding why people would be doing any of those things when there's a college football game to watch.

And I say that as someone who is probably at best only at or around the median for interest in college football in the South.

And that would be close to rabid here in the West. It really was a nice evening, I was outside playing with my son.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3020149

Updated: September 14, 2007, 8:04 PM ET

Notre Dame quarterback Demetrius Jones did not board a bus departing for the trip to Michigan, Coach Charlie Weis said in a statement Friday.

Jones started Notre Dame's opener, a 33-3 loss at home to Georgia Tech. He was pulled as starter last Saturday against Penn State in favor of freshman Jimmy Clausen.

Jones' status at Notre Dame is now in doubt.

Against Georgia Tech, Jones was 1-of-3 passing for 4 yards and ran the ball 12 times for 28 yards. Four of the six drives he led ended in three-and-outs, and he fumbled the ball away on the other two possessions.

"At 2:30 today, while boarding the bus to Michigan, I was notified that Demetrius Jones had decided not to make the trip," Weis said in a statement. "I have not spoken to Demetrius and can only say that he missed the team bus. Any additional comment would be without all the facts."

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-14-2007 at 07:21 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #30
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm with you. I think Maryland is, at least, an 8-win team in '07. I'm real pleased with the win--we didn't blow them out, but I never felt like the game was in question (even when it was within 7).

Really? I'm not sure I see us at 8 wins...our first 2 wins were unimpressive, of the remaining schedule, I'm not sure I see 6 more wins...
@ Wake, @ Rutgers, vs. Georgia Tech, vs. Virginia (homecoming), vs. Clemson, @ North Carolina, vs. Boston College, @ Florida State, @ NC State

Of those, I'd say we'll probably win against Virginia, with Clemson and UNC, we stand a decent shot, and NC State is 50-50. The rest I could see us losing, especially if we play like we have so far. Our defense has actually been really good, I was quite happy with what I saw last night. The offense, on the other hand....stupid Portis.

Edited to fix typos.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 09-14-2007 at 08:51 PM.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #31
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Go Troy!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #32
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Really? I'm not sure I see us at 8 wins...our first 2 wins were unimpressive, of the remaining schedule, I'm not sure I see 6 more wins...
@ Wake, @ Rutgers, vs. Georgia Tech, vs. Virginia (homecoming), vs. Clemson, @ North Carolina, vs. Boston College, @ Florida State, @ NC State

Of those, I'd say we'll probably win against Virginia, with Clemson and UNC, we stand a decent shot, and NC State is 50-50. The rest I could see us losing, especially if we play like we have so far. Our defense has actually been really good, I was quite happy with what I saw last night. The offense, on the other hand....stupid Portis.

Edited to fix typos.

/tk

Ok its probably predictable that I would jump all over this, but...
Good shot against Clemson and UNC but NC state is 50-50. But you see losing to Wake, GT, BC, and FSU...

Not sure I follow your logic. Id say other than Rutgers and GT Clemson is your most sure loss on the remainder of your schedule. We handled FSU, NC State is a joke this year, Wake has done nothing in 2 games. But time will tell...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #33
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post

Edited to fix typos.

/tk

Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, but I think the Terps should roll against UNC, NC State, and UVA. I think they match up pretty well against Wake, Rutgers, Georgia Tech, BC, and FSU. I think Clemson's offensive speed (re: big play ability) is similar to that of West Virginia, so that will be a tough one. Fridge seems like he wants to play ball control offense with good defense and that usually does not work well when the opponent has homerun hitters (like WVU's and Clemson's backfield).

Lattimore and the o-line looked real good and the defense looked pretty solid to me. They used a linebacker to spy Patrick White the entire game (and successfully stopped him), but they won't need to do that against teams without mobile QBs like White, so I think they will look a lot better against teams that play pro-style offenses (like Rutgers, BC, GT). Unless Steffy fails to improve throughout the rest of the season, I think they have 8-wins in them, as the ACC is still a little down.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:13 PM   #34
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, but I think the Terps should roll against UNC, NC State, and UVA. I think they match up pretty well against Wake, Rutgers, Georgia Tech, BC, and FSU. I think Clemson's offensive speed (re: big play ability) is similar to that of West Virginia, so that will be a tough one. Fridge seems like he wants to play ball control offense with good defense and that usually does not work well when the opponent has homerun hitters (like WVU's and Clemson's backfield).

Lattimore and the o-line looked real good and the defense looked pretty solid to me. They used a linebacker to spy Patrick White the entire game (and successfully stopped him), but they won't need to do that against teams without mobile QBs like White, so I think they will look a lot better against teams that play pro-style offenses (like Rutgers, BC, GT). Unless Steffy fails to improve throughout the rest of the season, I think they have 8-wins in them, as the ACC is still a little down.

Please stop causing problem...
Old 09-14-2007, 10:13 PM   #35
Swaggs
Coordinator

What was the spread on this Troy-Oklahoma State game? I though Oklahoma State looked fairly decent going into this season.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:15 PM   #36
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Please stop causing problem...

My Longhorns looking good in the early season?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #37
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
My Longhorns looking good in the early season?

What better, Peter Gardere pulled over for DUI, or Rhett Bomar paid for not working?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:19 PM   #38
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What was the spread on this Troy-Oklahoma State game? I though Oklahoma State looked fairly decent going into this season.

Ok State had the media in their corner coming into the season, but following what success? Nothing more than a 7-6 season last year. Every year they are the next great thing. But nothing. This preseason, on the Official Oklahoma State website, they even proclaimed themselves as having "The Greatest Offense in the World".

Money from Boone Pickens may buy nice facilities, get you in the media spotlight and like such as. Wins? Not so much.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #39
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wow. Troy finally got to make a statement at home. Good for them.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #40
cartman
Death Herald

Troy St. = UCLA

'Unknown College of Lower Alabama'
Old 09-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #41
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
Ok State had the media in their corner coming into the season, but following what success? Nothing more than a 7-6 season last year. Every year they are the next great thing. But nothing. This preseason, on the Official Oklahoma State website, they even proclaimed themselves as having "The Greatest Offense in the World".

Money from Boone Pickens may buy nice facilities, get you in the media spotlight and like such as. Wins? Not so much.

The sad thing is that Troy hasn't even played all that well this game and they are still beating the crap out of them. Troy's coach has made two horrendous play calls (fake punt inside his own thirty and not managing the clock at the end of the first half).
Old 09-14-2007, 11:11 PM   #42
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa travels to Ames to take on the clones. I hope Iowa wins 256-0. that would make me feel very toasty inside.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:11 AM   #43
sooner333
College Starter

Spread was OSU -10, btw.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #44
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Go Buffalo. 3-0 early in the PSU game.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #45
st.cronin
General Manager

Impressions of Michigan State: Good offensive line, but Hoyer is very inaccurate with his throws. Defense looks ok, but who knows if Pitt is any good.

knives out
Old 09-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #46
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

sheesh. Syracuse is just an awful team. They're down 14-0 in the first minute of the 2nd quarter, and make a huge stop on a 3rd and 3, causing a fumble (Illinois recovered), but Syracuse gets pushy and gets tagged for a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty, and they give up a first down.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #47
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Impressions of Michigan State: Defense looks ok.

forget I said that

knives out
Old 09-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #48
RedKingGold
College Starter

PSU losing 3-0 to Buffalo in the 2nd Q. It'd be nice for PSU to actually wake up today.

Which I could actually watch it (damn B10 network)
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #49
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
sheesh. Syracuse is just an awful team. They're down 14-0 in the first minute of the 2nd quarter, and make a huge stop on a 3rd and 3, causing a fumble (Illinois recovered), but Syracuse gets pushy and gets tagged for a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty, and they give up a first down.

A winless season doesn't seem impossible, and 1-2 wins seems likely.

Can Robinson possibly be kept around after that?

Last edited by molson : 09-15-2007 at 12:01 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #50
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Bring back Coach P.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 09-15-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: sorry, previous letter in the alphabet