Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

The iTouch

I was just looking at the new line of iPods, and came across the iTouch- it seems cool.

http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-vid...ml?tag=nl.e778

It'd be something nice to have around campus, and places with free WiFi... The price seems a little steep ($399). Seems a lot like the iPhone, just not a phone, but double the memory. Not sure if I'll get one, but I want one. Anyone know anything about them yet?

Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

it's the iphone that's not a phone.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i got into a verbal brawl about this the other day.

doesn't make any sense to me. the price is so steep. get a cheap wifi-enabled PDA with WM and you'd be done cheaper and have more freedom. apple is so restrictive of their devices as far as 3rd party applications. i can't imagine having an iphone and not being able to DL programs but having to use java-programs for everything. ditto with the itouch.

just don't see the point of it. especially with that price-point
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

+1
Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

iTouch your monkey
Old 09-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
iTouch your monkey

I knew it!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

doesn't make any sense to me. the price is so steep. get a cheap wifi-enabled PDA with WM and you'd be done cheaper and have more freedom. apple is so restrictive of their devices as far as 3rd party applications. i can't imagine having an iphone and not being able to DL programs but having to use java-programs for everything. ditto with the itouch.

There is a package manager out now that allows you to install and run native apps on the iPhone. I've got SSH, term, and Apace running on my iPhone, among other things.

http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta

Also, Apple has given their blessing to these endeavors:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...iphone-to-bits
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Divinyls have the perfect song for the commercial.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

There is a lot to be said about UI. Even with a reduced feature set, the iphone (and ipod touch) are far superior because they think about the user experience (this coming from a windows mobile user).

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm waiting for an Itouch to be shipped to me as gift from a company i work with from time to time, it sounds like a nice device.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
Daimyo
College Starter

I am so disappointed in the iTouch. I was hoping for an iPod with a iPhone sized touch screen and larger storage (100+ GB) to be announced... iTouch seems pretty useless (at least for my purposes) with that little storage. I'll have to stick to my Windows Mobile 6 phone and iPod Video for now I guess.

Last edited by Daimyo : 09-11-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
Captain2711
High School JV

Just purchased a new Itouch. Are than any good/bad applications I should get or avoid?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I've got a iTouch and I really rate it - especially for watching video's in the gym and some of the games are quite promising, although none really show off the devices promise yet imho.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #14
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I've got a iTouch and I really rate it - especially for watching video's in the gym and some of the games are quite promising, although none really show off the devices promise yet imho.

I noticed that in the recent "best Touch apps" thread, most of the recommendations were for games, and not so much with productivity software. I know that some users have mentioned useful apps that do exist (SSH, logmein, VNC, etc), but on the whole, the available apps seem to skew very entertainment oriented. Could it be the user base really only wants to play games on it, or does the UI limit power-users when it comes to productivity software (e.g., I would imagine that the capacitive touchscreen would be a pain in the ass if you wanted to use something like Open Office or jot down a few notes or sketch something by hand. Stylus-based UI would be much more useful for those types of apps.).
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I've got some 'practical' applications for it as well as games - such things as email, time in different counties (both default phone apps) - there are also some neat programs around for things like GeoCacheing (think treasure hunting using GPS) and that sort of thing.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #16
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
I noticed that in the recent "best Touch apps" thread, most of the recommendations were for games, and not so much with productivity software. I know that some users have mentioned useful apps that do exist (SSH, logmein, VNC, etc), but on the whole, the available apps seem to skew very entertainment oriented. Could it be the user base really only wants to play games on it, or does the UI limit power-users when it comes to productivity software (e.g., I would imagine that the capacitive touchscreen would be a pain in the ass if you wanted to use something like Open Office or jot down a few notes or sketch something by hand. Stylus-based UI would be much more useful for those types of apps.).

I think people just aren't using the productivity apps, or just not mentioning them here. I think the iphone is always going to be easier to use than a stylus-based device, personally. I think that people aren't going to write documens on something so small.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
Captain2711
High School JV

Has anyone used the jailbreak for the 2g IPOD touch? What are the advantages or disadvantages to using it?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I think that people aren't going to write documens on something so small.

I agree that a pocketable device will not be a first choice for document editing for most people. But with that being said, having Open Office available on my device has proven to be very useful. Sure, it runs slowly as you would expect, but it is nice to not have to bring the laptop along every time I travel.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
I agree that a pocketable device will not be a first choice for document editing for most people. But with that being said, having Open Office available on my device has proven to be very useful. Sure, it runs slowly as you would expect, but it is nice to not have to bring the laptop along every time I travel.

Next stop for a portable device imho is to have a full-size keyboard available for input.

This actually should be easily possible utilising existing technology the more complex of which is available upon most devices already.

Basically think of a simply keyboard projected onto a desk as 'light' from a device then the camera on that device sampling pictures at 30hz and then analysing the differences (ie. movements from fingers) and using them to trigger inputs.

It'd require some fairly clever software but if someone wants to give me a small fortune and six months to a year I'll see what I can do

PS - Yeah I know I'm a geek, I'll be designing a holodeck next

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-11-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Next stop for a portable device imho is to have a full-size keyboard available for input.

This actually should be easily possible utilising existing technology the more complex of which is available upon most devices already.

Basically think of a simply keyboard projected onto a desk as 'light' from a device then the camera on that device sampling pictures at 30hz and then analysing the differences (ie. movements from fingers) and using them to trigger inputs.

It'd require some fairly clever software but if someone wants to give me a small fortune and six months to a year I'll see what I can do

PS - Yeah I know I'm a geek, I'll be designing a holodeck next

At first I thought you were talking about a portable bluetooth keyboard (which are already quite small). But I guess you were talking about something sorta like this, but already built in to the device:

Amazon.com: Bluetooth Laser Virtual Keyboard CL850 Projection Keyboard Celluon Laserkey: Electronics

Edit to add: that would be pretty neat, and would reduce the need to carry around another peripheral. They're already experimenting with creating phones with built in video projectors, so a built-in projectable laser keyboard isn't outside the realm of possibility (the technology is already commercially available)...

Last edited by Klinglerware : 05-11-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #21
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I think the next step is to get a little larger again, like a kindle.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hear Apple is going to focus on personal music in the future. I'm looking forward to the iTouch: Myself.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-11-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote