Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2003, 12:20 AM   #1
TroyF
Coordinator

athletes and race

This is a subject which is really interesting me now.

Last week, there were posts which indicated some people felt there was discrimination (either institutional or individualistic) which caused black athletes to get first crack at "skill" positions in football.

I argued then that I felt it highly unlikely that was taking place. I felt that for whatever reason, there were simply more black athletes which were speedier.

I've spent a majority of my free time this past week researching the subject. How do I feel now? I feel more set in my original opinion.

I struggled to find "anything" where white kids at junior high or high school felt they weren't getting a shot at the position of their dreams because a black athlete had taken their position. Some articles in small town papers indicated spirited battles between white and black athletes for starting WR or CB spots, and from what I could tell they were evenly split on who won those spots.

I looked for everything. . . parents who would have complained, athletes who would have complained, "sleeper" white guys who starred at smaller colleges who ran in the 4.4-4.5 region and were 6'1 or above. I simply struck out. Nothing. If anything, it seems most of the "fast" white guys went to bigger schools, even if they didn't have prototype size. (Tim Dwight and Kevin Kasper at Iowa or Jeremy Bloom at CU for example)

If it was possible to find less information about possible discrimination at the NFL level, I found it. Studying drafts, I simply couldn't find cases of white guys who fit the "big, fast" WR/CB mold getting passed over. Even the afformentioned Dwight is 5'9" tall. There aren't a ton of 5'9" guys getting drafted in the first round, no matter how fast they are.

So. . . my question to you promoting this theory, do you have evidence of this happening? Do you have specific cases for me to look at? I was incredulas to your belief in that, maybe too much so far not having researched it. Now I've researched it and still find no direct evidence. (or really indirect evidence for that matter) Can you help me out with some evidence or other ways to research the topic?

TroyF

TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:29 AM   #2
vex
Grizzled Veteran

There is a WR recruit in Texas next year by the name of Jordan Shipley. He's white, very fast, and has great hands.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:29 AM   #3
Tarkus
High School Varsity

TroyF, you may very well be correct but let me give you food for thought. I think there is a very significant double standard regarding what whites and black can publicly say. I've heard so many things that if they had been said by a white person that person would have been crucified in some sense, but the black person gets away with it. Also, keep in mind that most people who are unhappy with a particular situation never complain about it. Throw in so called political correctness and to me it would be understandable that you would not hear much about whites complaining about being discriminated against. My point is, if a lot of whites did feel that way I'm not sure you'd hear about it.

With that being said, I don't think whites are being discriminated against in the NFL. I believe owners want to put the team on the field that gives them the best chance of winning (well, all except Mike Brown), regardless of color.

Tarkus
Old 03-03-2003, 01:06 AM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

If you're interested in general in the phenomena of the dominance of black athletes, check out the book Taboo by John Entine. It's an interesting read, although at times fairly technical and detailed. Still, it basically takes a look at race and sports from all angles, and even raises some interesting questions about humans and the way we perceive ourselves.

EDIT: link to book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...663887-5934201
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 02:43 AM   #5
TroyF
Coordinator

Tarkus,

I have thought of PC and it's involvement in the debate. I would still expect to find some articles about "reverse" discrimination occuring, especially at the youth level where every parent thinks their kid should be #1.

If anything, those cases might be fewer, but they would receive a ton of extra media attention making up for it.

I would also expect to find some 6'3" white "burners" at smaller colleges. Guys who were passed over at their schools, weren't highly recruited, but hooked on and went nuts when given the chance at a smaller school.

I couldn't find any of those scenarios.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote