Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Business Writing Question

I work for a smaller community bank, and recently it was brought up that our management team would be considering 5 employees and sending 1 of them to a 3 day lending seminar in the fall. Obviously, I would really like to attend as it will enhance my career path. I also feel that I would benefit the most out of the other employees being conisidered and have the potential to be managment eventually.

The original information was sent out by Memorandum, addressed to the employees, CC'd to the other memebers of the executive team, and sent by the one member. The memo consists of a few short paragraphs explaining the seminar and the process of wanting each of us to provide why we think we should be the one to attend this year (will be sending all eventually, 1/year - i dont want to wait).

My question is, do I send my response back by Memorandum since that is how it was initially sent out? Do I respond in letter form? Obviously I am going to print out on some nice paper so it is more formal than simply emailing, but I am a few years out of my Business Writing course in college and just want this to be sent in the most professional way possible, both to show my desire and future potential.

Thanks for any response, this got a little longer winded than I intended.

zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

Memorandum sounds right to me, although my guess is that in this particular case form is nowhere near as critical as content.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'd send it by letter actually. I think you want to avoid fostering ill-will in the workplace by waving around why you feel you're more qualified.

Plus, nothing will look better than typing up a nice letter, printing it on some heavy-weight paper, folding it carefully into an envelope, and walking it into management's office and setting it on their desk.

Presentation is HUGE, and that type of presentation will blow them away.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Wow. I work in a small company and just realized I have no qualifications to answer this question whatsoever.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Wow. I work in a small company and just realized I have no qualifications to answer this question whatsoever.

where u work foo-foo?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Warehousing company down in westwood. 50 ppl total.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post

You know, that is kind of how I felt. Overall things are business-like but not overly formal here. I'm thinking I just want to take the extra step in this case to ensure I get selected, but as I start to do it it hits me that I really need some backup on this one.

I agree with st. cronin that overall I think content will be much more important than actual presentation. But with what I know of the other employees I doubt any will take any steps beyond what is required so that is why I want to make sure mine blows them out first-impression wise.

DaddyTorgo - if I did go with a letter, who do I actually adress it to or how to I do the greeting? This is why I think memo-form would be easier but like I said I'm not set either way.

Thanks again.

Last edited by zums : 08-30-2007 at 10:17 AM.
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zums View Post
You know, that is kind of how I felt. Overall things are business-like but not overly formal here. I'm thinking I just want to take the extra step in this case to ensure I get selected, but as I start to do it it hits me that I really need some backup on this one.

I agree with st. cronin that overall I think content will be much more important than actual presentation. But with what I know of the other employees I doubt any will take any steps beyond what is required so that is why I want to make sure mine blows them out first-impression wise.

DaddyTorgo - if I did go with a letter, who do I actually adress it to or how to I do the greeting? This is why I think memo-form would be easier but like I said I'm not set either way.

Thanks again.

That's a good question zums. I think you're supposed to address the reply to the guy who sent the memo out in the first place (the assumption on everyone's part being that he is the one who is "driving" the process). As far as the greeting in the actual letter...

"Dear JoeBob and fellow members of the executive team at tubby bank"

or you could memo-style the letter in response. i'm not sure if that's what you meant initially with your question, but that's an option, cuz you can get away with

TO: JoeBob
CC: All you other tools
SUBJ: Why I kickass

I kickass. I'll kick your ass.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 PM   #9
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I'd go with a power point presentation and some photoshopped pix of you hanging out with Gates, Buffett, Trump, and Hefner. Easy win right there.

Or a candygram.

Or a personal "massage" from a pro for the boss. They're all winners.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote