Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Lions & Dre Bly

Roughly 5 million/year for 5 years. Big contract! What does everyone expect of him? I dont watch the Rams at all, is he a "shutdown" corner?

I hope he can solidify half of the secondary, maybe in time be in the Pro Bowl(he hasnt gone right?).

When a free agent signs so quickly for so much money, it always leads me to believe the team overpaid.

bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:14 PM   #2
dread
n00b

Wow did the Lions get hosed , this guy is making Patrick Surtain money. Im sure they could have got a guy just as good if not this guy much cheaper. All in all for the money, I believe it was a bad signing. Tyrone Williams or Denard Walker are just as good and could be had at a lower cost.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:14 PM   #3
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Yeah, they probably overpaid, but, they would have to overpay in order to get decent players. It's not like they can offer a chance at the Super Bowl in the next couple years, so they have to offer them something other teams cant, and in the Lion's case its unfortunately going to have to be more money.

As for the signing itself, I like the move, now we need to re-sign Claiborne and pick up an outside linebacker in free agency and we will be in a much more solid position heading into the draft.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:21 PM   #4
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
The Lions seem to have a thing for the #3 man on the Rams depth chart.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:22 PM   #5
JerseyShore
In The Penalty Box

I believe the signing is a good move for the Lions. They desperately needed help in the secondary and needed some more speed and got it in Bly.
JerseyShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:23 PM   #6
Blackadar
Retired

Bly is a decent CB, but he's not worth anything near that much.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:54 PM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

They overpaid to make sure they could get a deal done quickly to prevent him from signing with the Vikings.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 02:51 PM   #8
cmp
Pro Rookie

I'm happy with the signing. I do believe we may have overpaid him a bit, but right now, the Lions are not going to sign many free agents who get similar offers from other teams. If we would have offered Bly less, another team would have probably offered him the same and he probably wouldn't be a Lion right now.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 02:53 PM   #9
Blackadar
Retired

True, Gold, but overpaying is still overpaying and kills your salary cap in the long run.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 03:14 PM   #10
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I don't know if anyone would have given Bly that contract. I think that's why he signed. His agent must have blow his wad when he saw that contract and couldn't get Bly's name on it fast enough. If Bly turned it down, the Lions would probably have thrown that deal at Tyrone Poole or someone of his ilk. Then who would be left to throw $25 mil at Bly?

But that's free agency in the NFL. The first few players who sign every year are overpaid. The bunch in the middle sign for around market value. Players who wait too long end up signing below market value because teams simply don't have enough money.

The Chiefs have been notorious for pinching their pennies early and then scrambling to find guys. That worked when they bagged Priest Holmes for pocket change, but that's about the only case where it did. Now I read in the paper today that the Chiefs are trying to get Shawn Barber to sign before he leaves town today to see the Rams. He's a great player, but I have no doubt that if he signs, it will be for too much. It will probably also take us out of the Hugh Douglass sweepstakes.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 03:24 PM   #11
dread
n00b

If the lions need to improve themselves why not try to trade Mike Mcmahon for a draft pick since they have Harrington to start anyway. McMahon will definately leave once he is eleigible for free agency and it seems to waste a guy that may get a pick from another team.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:07 PM   #12
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by dread
If the lions need to improve themselves why not try to trade Mike Mcmahon for a draft pick since they have Harrington to start anyway. McMahon will definately leave once he is eleigible for free agency and it seems to waste a guy that may get a pick from another team.

Because they don't have anybody else who they would trust to go into a game situation (Ty Detmer, ugh) and they want somebody who can step in and spell Harrington if needed. To go out and sign a free agent would take even more cap money they don't need to spend, and they aren't going to use a draft pick on one either.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:18 PM   #13
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
As for the signing itself, I like the move, now we need to re-sign Claiborne and pick up an outside linebacker in free agency and we will be in a much more solid position heading into the draft.

I was hoping that Claiborne would sign elsewhere personally.

It'd be nice to see him playing in purple next year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:18 PM   #14
primelord
Pro Rookie

I talked about this in another thread. Like everyone else here has sadi the Lions way overpaid for Bly. I am a Rams fan so I have seen every game Bly has played. He is a solid cover man, but he doesn't like contact and he gambles way too much.

He is like a very poor man's Deion Sanders. But he isn't good enough to make up for the risks he takes. I think he will improve the Lions secondary, and he lucked out being the only decent CB in free agency. But he just isn't worth the amount of money they paid.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:00 PM   #15
ratpfink
n00b

Actually, while Bly probably got overpaid, his deal really isn't a future cap killer. It's not back loaded so while a ~$5 million cap figure each year is probably a lot for Bly at least they're not setting it up to release him after 3 years with a $10 million 4th year salary.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:37 PM   #16
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney

Well, from what I've heard, its only about a 50-50 chance, if that, that he will re-sign here, so who knows what will happen.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:20 PM   #17
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney

Well he was called a coward(was the the word Millen used?) so I would guess he would prefer to go elsewhere.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:15 AM   #18
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
Because they don't have anybody else who they would trust to go into a game situation (Ty Detmer, ugh) and they want somebody who can step in and spell Harrington if needed. To go out and sign a free agent would take even more cap money they don't need to spend, and they aren't going to use a draft pick on one either.

I completely agree with you. You really own a player for his first four years in the league. If they will trade McMahon, it'll be in 2004 when he's either in the last year of his deal (not sure how long his rooke contract was) or in the year where they've tendered him his RFA money. This looks to be his last year with the Lions. Hopefully after this season he'll begin to do Rutgers proud. At least we're one of not too many schools who have 2 QB's in the league.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote