Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Greatest Sports Numbers

An article in the paper today said that 755 lost its place as the most magical number in sports and that the new record by Bonds will not replace it. The author gave the following as the 10 most magical numbers in sports:

760 (and counting)

Agree or disagree? What numbers would you replace and with what number?

(Don't know if we have ever had this discussion but a search came up with a hundred weird associations so I went with it anyway.)

thealmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:40 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

I can figure some of them out, but what are the others?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I can figure some of them out, but what are the others?

.406 is what Tony LaRussa blew when he got pulled over by the police.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
JeffNights
College Prospect

Hmm, help me with the ones I cant get

18-No clue
56-Joe Dimaggio's hitting streak
18355-Emmit Smith Rushing yards
760 (and counting)-Barry Bonds*
100-Wilt's record for points in a game
215-no clue
.406-Ted Williams
47-Jackie Robinsons' number
4256-Pete Rose career hits
7-Nolan Ryans no-hitters

anybody know what 18 and 215 are for?
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I like the numbers 186.0, 58, and 384
Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 AM   #6
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

215 i think is Gretzky's points in a season
Old 08-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #7
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

18 is going to be broken in a few years, i think its the Golf Majors record.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:42 AM   #8
JeffNights
College Prospect

Shit, i shoulda known Gretzkys'!!!! Hmm, i dont think i woulda gotten Jack's 18 majors.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:27 AM   #9
oykib
College Starter

Jackie was 42.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:40 AM   #10
primelord
Pro Rookie

I'd imagine 47 could be two things:

Unitas threw a TD pass in 47 straight games
Oklahoma won 47 consecutive college football games.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:47 AM   #11
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm guessing its the consecutive wins.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:48 AM   #12
oykib
College Starter

18 - Majors -golf - good
56 - hitting streak - baseball - good
18355 - Can't name it off hand (rushing) - football - bad. It's not a magic number if noone knows it.
760 (and counting) - HR - baseball - good. Everyone will know the number of homeruns Bonds retires on.
100 - Points - basketball - good. Easy to remember. Easy to identify with its greatness.
215 - Points - Hockey- so-so. Hockey fans probably know this number. But why is this a better number than the highest number of points in a NASCAR season (whatever the hell that number is.
.406 - Last .400 seasons batting average - good. It's not likely to be done again in MLB any time soon.
47 - no idea - bad. It's obviously not a big four sports record of consequence if no one can identify it.
4256 - hits - baseball - good.
7 - bad. There are way too many sevens to identify it with any one record. When I hear seven I think of Mickey Mantle. Next, I think of John Elway. Nolan's no-hitters wouldn't come to me for a while. I'd probably think of Marc Spitz and his medals first.

Last edited by oykib : 08-20-2007 at 02:11 AM.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #13
saldana
Pro Starter

i doubt the 7 would be mark spitz's medals, since there seems to be someone that challenges it every olympics...michael phelps will go after it again in beiing...i think it is more likely to be ryan's no hitters
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I think the "greatest sports number" is gonna have to be 56, mainly because it's about a record that I don't think will be seriously challenged for a long time, if ever. I mean, compare it with some of the others on the list.

Golf majors: Tiger Woods could kill that number. I mean, even if he "only" gets to 20, that's a significant increase, considering how hard it is to win even one or two majors.

Points in an NHL season: I don't think anyone will come close to Gretzky's 215, but hockey has changed a lot in the past 20 years, and I doubt we'll ever see the game as free-wheeling as it was in the '80s. The game essentially will not allow this record to be approached, so it kinda takes away from the "magic" of the number.

Hits in an MLB career: I think this number would stand a chance, but in general, I don't think people want to associate the "greatest sports number" with a guy like Pete Rose. The gambling and his attitude over the past 15 years or so have pretty much buried his chances of being a universally loved baseball figure.

Batting average: The .406 is special, obviously, and Ted Williams is widely considered the greatest hitter in MLB history, so those are good signs. As a number, though, it's not something that goes up by 1 with every game or every hit or ever goal or whatever. Know what I mean? It's the result of a calculation, and I think that hurts the number as far as being the most memorable. If it were a nice round number like .400, I think it wins this discussion hands down. That's just not the case with .406.

Wilt Chamberlain's 100 points: It might never be broken, it's a really nice round number, people generally like Wilt Chamberlain, so it looks really good for this discussion. For me, the only knock against it is that it really seems reasonably approachable. Honestly, I wasn't sure that I'd live to see a guy score 80 points in an NBA game, but Kobe Bryant did it. When Kobe did it, he went half the second quarter without even attempting a shot. If he had taken more shots in the first half, he would've hit 90 points for sure, and he may have even gotten to 100. Of course, he probably wasn't thinking about scoring that many points so early in the game, but it could have happened. Plus, when it's a record that's done in a single game, all it takes is for one guy to be "on" and a single-game record can be broken. It's hard for me to call that the "greatest sports number."

The other numbers in that list don't do anything for me at all, except maybe #7 because that was John Elway's number. Personally, I'd like to add 600 to the list. That's the highest-scoring match in PBA history. Tom Baker and Pete Weber bowled to a 300-300 tie in the fifth round of the 1981 Denver Open. Now THAT'S magic!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:32 AM   #15
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Maybe 117 for Chris Greisen's record-setting 117 touchdown passes in an AFL season this past year? Or Michael Bishop's record 459 rushing yards in a season back in 2005?

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 08-20-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

So the article says the 755 number isn't magical anymore (since it's broken), and won't be replaced by Bonds' number... but then lists his current HR total as one of the most magical...??
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #17
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that if Wilt's number is ever broken, it will be part of a deliberate attempt to do so. Some player/team in a somewhat meaningless game will decide before the game starts "Let's get [fill in the blank--Kobe, Lebron, Iverson, etc.] the record."

I just can't see 100 points in the contemporary NBA happening as part of the flow of the game.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So the article says the 755 number isn't magical anymore (since it's broken), and won't be replaced by Bonds' number... but then lists his current HR total as one of the most magical...??

I thought the same thing...but realized he must be saying that the new number won't be the #1 magical number in sports, as 755 used to be.

Apparently being #4 sucks.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #19
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that if Wilt's number is ever broken, it will be part of a deliberate attempt to do so. Some player/team in a somewhat meaningless game will decide before the game starts "Let's get [fill in the blank--Kobe, Lebron, Iverson, etc.] the record."

I just can't see 100 points in the contemporary NBA happening as part of the flow of the game.
I agree with this completely. To me, that makes the number less "magical" (for lack of a better word). Much of its charm comes from the fact that it's exactly 100, not 101 or 102, for instance. It's a great achievement, but any star player in the NBA could do it if his team and coach wanted him to. It might take a couple of tries, but there's a handful of current NBA players who could do it. No matter how hard a team or even a player tries, you can't just "decide" to give a baseball player a long hitting streak, and you can't just "decide" to give a running back a certain number of rushing yards (at least not at the professional or even big college levels). As you said, though, a team can certainly decide to get a basketball star 100 points in a game.

It doesn't mean that the 100 point mark isn't special, but it takes it out of the running for "greatest sports number" in my mind.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #20
Butter
Coordinator

I don't think breaking Wilt's record would ever occur like this... More likely, it would be something like "hey, look... Kobe (or whoever) has 51 at halftime... let's get him 100!" And I seriously doubt a 2nd team would accede to being shown up. They are not going to decide before a game to get a player 100... and if they do, you might as well throw whatever shred of credibility the NBA has as a team sport out the window.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #21
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I don't think breaking Wilt's record would ever occur like this... More likely, it would be something like "hey, look... Kobe (or whoever) has 51 at halftime... let's get him 100!" And I seriously doubt a 2nd team would accede to being shown up. They are not going to decide before a game to get a player 100... and if they do, you might as well throw whatever shred of credibility the NBA has as a team sport out the window.

Isn't this basically how Wilt's 100 happened? He started out scoring well in the game and then his teammates started to feed him in a specific effort to hit 100.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #22
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Plus, when it's a record that's done in a single game, all it takes is for one guy to be "on" and a single-game record can be broken. It's hard for me to call that the "greatest sports number."
Personally, I'd like to add 600 to the list. That's the highest-scoring match in PBA history. Tom Baker and Pete Weber bowled to a 300-300 tie in the fifth round of the 1981 Denver Open. Now THAT'S magic!

Hoist by your own petard, Pumpy. Betcha forgot you even had a petard!
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #23
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Oh, and how about "2"? Number of consecutive no-hitters thrown? Quirky, but I like it. Or maybe: Quirky, so I like it.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #24
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Pumpy's petard is showing...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #25
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

If you are going to put 18 (major wins) in there, I would say 200 (Richard Petty career wins) should go in there also. I'd say the same # of people care about both.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #26
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

0-9 are the best to me... they seem to come up a lot in various combinations.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #27
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Nice try, but I was talking about one person setting a single-game record. When two bowlers each bowl 300 in a match against each other, that's epic. That was two guys who were "on," not just one like Wilt Chamberlain or, to use another example, Mark Whiten (4 home runs in a single game). No matter how well one person bowls, there won't be a 600-point match if his opponent doesn't match him strike-for-strike.

The petard's in your corner!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #28
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
If you are going to put 18 (major wins) in there, I would say 200 (Richard Petty career wins) should go in there also. I'd say the same # of people care about both.

I think that 18 is getting more play because the best player in the world has specifically set it as his career goal and, at his current pace, is likely to achieve it.

From what I know of NASCAR, the sport has changed enough that 200 career wins is simply impossible--which makes it less in the public mind.

Now, every time Tiger wins a major (which happens once or twice a year on average), people are reminded of 18.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #29
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Now, every time Tiger wins a major (which happens once or twice a year on average), people are reminded of 18.

I don't think magical means reachable. I'm sure there are plenty of NASCAR fans that hold 200 near and dear and could give a crap about 18 and vice versa.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 08-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #30
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't think magical means reachable. I'm sure there are plenty of NASCAR fans that hold 200 near and dear and could give a crap about 18 and vice versa.

I agree with you that both of these numbers don't mean much outside of a passionate fan base. And, that NASCAR has a larger and more passionate fan base.

However, as Tiger gets closer and closer to 18, more and more casual sports fans are going to become aware of 18. And, assuming that he passes it, casual fans will know where he stopped.

So, more people will know the record for golf majors in the near future simply because that number will be more newsworthy.

I think that we are just saying two different things here. In general, NASCAR career wins and golf career majors are about equal in terms of "magic records." We just have the specific example of Tiger Woods now to make the general case not apply. And I think that Tiger's legacy in that regard will endure for a few decades.

If Jeff Gordon were approaching 200 and no one was near 18 in golf, then the situation would be the exact opposite.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-20-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #31
st.cronin
General Manager

I tried many times in TCY to get to 47, never could do it.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #32
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I would argue that magical needs reachable. Once the game changes such that a record is unreachable, it becomes a historical/statistical curiosity.

Anybody think Favre's consecutive start record will be worth including in this thread?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #33
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Anybody think Favre's consecutive start record will be worth including in this thread?
Dude keeps saying he might retire, and then he doesn't retire. This has been going on for about 24 years now. I don't think his number is worth mentioning in this thread, as infinity is already a pretty special number in itself.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #34
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

See: David Robinson vs. the Clippers, 1994
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #35
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm a Packer fan and if someone put a gun to my head I wouldn't be able to come up with the number. There are probably 3 people that know this number - Favre, Madden and Bradshaw...

Personally, I don't think there are any magical numbers in football except for one that no team has done yet and that is 3 (Super Bowls in a Row)
Old 08-20-2007, 02:36 PM   #36
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm a Packer fan and if someone put a gun to my head I wouldn't be able to come up with the number. There are probably 3 people that know this number - Favre, Madden and Bradshaw...

Does anybody really pay attention to the number while it is increasing...unless it is for someone chasing the record? I know Bonds passed 755 but I'm sure I won't care where he is at until he retires.

As far as longevity numbers go, they might only get some notice when someone gets close. Ripken's number won't be mentioned much either unless anyone gets in range.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #37
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I thought the same thing...but realized he must be saying that the new number won't be the #1 magical number in sports, as 755 used to be.

You are correct, sir.

The 47 is the number of consecutive games with a TD pass by Johnny Unitas (Favre has the next most at "only" 36).

18355 and 7 may have a bit to do with the fact this is a Dallas paper, though as a baseball fan 7 no hitters is rather incredible.

4256 by Rose is also a bit out there- new hall of famers Gwynn and Ripken...more than 1000 behind.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #38
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Dude keeps saying he might retire, and then he doesn't retire. This has been going on for about 24 years now. I don't think his number is worth mentioning in this thread, as infinity is already a pretty special number in itself.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #39
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Isn't this basically how Wilt's 100 happened? He started out scoring well in the game and then his teammates started to feed him in a specific effort to hit 100.

The accounts of the game suggest that it was a pretty normal game until he broke his own scroing record of 78 points with about 7 minutes left to play. Here is a blurb from the wikipedia page about it:

"However, according to all eye-witnesses, the game became a farce. Fearing ultimate humiliation if Chamberlain scored 100 points on them, the Knicks blindly fouled any Warrior not named Chamberlain, to force them to hit free throws and keep the ball out of the center's hands.[2] Effectively, they played the opposite of what a normal club would do if they faced a deficit, willingly giving up many easy points instead of making attempts to rally back. In retaliation, the Warriors liberally fouled the Knicks, in order to get the ball back after free throws and give Chamberlain the ball. Thus each team spent the last minutes fouling each other. The majority of the participants put the blame on the Knicks. Warriors forward Tom Meschery said: "The Knicks were running around like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to foul anyone but Wilt. We started inbounding the ball straight to Wilt in the forecourt."[3] However, Knicks player Richie Guerin, who scored 39 points, put the blame on the Warriors and complained: "The Warriors used any means [i.e., fouling tactics] to get the ball to Chamberlain. This had nothing to do with basketball anymore." In any case, the Warriors ended with 25 personal fouls, and the Knicks with 32, and lost Imhoff and Willie Naulls with six fouls.[2]"
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #40
MrBug708
Head Coach

I would imagine 88 would be up there, I doubt any program will ever win 88 games in a row in college basketball
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #41
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Personally, I don't think there are any magical numbers in football except for one that no team has done yet and that is 3 (Super Bowls in a Row)

Football is strange in the numbers thing. The record I most think about in football is probably 14-0. (with 15, 16 and 17 coming in the playoffs and Super Bowl) I don't have any other football numbers in my head that just jump out at me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #42
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord View Post
The accounts of the game suggest that it was a pretty normal game until he broke his own scroing record of 78 points with about 7 minutes left to play. Here is a blurb from the wikipedia page about it:

"However, according to all eye-witnesses, the game became a farce. Fearing ultimate humiliation if Chamberlain scored 100 points on them, the Knicks blindly fouled any Warrior not named Chamberlain, to force them to hit free throws and keep the ball out of the center's hands.[2] Effectively, they played the opposite of what a normal club would do if they faced a deficit, willingly giving up many easy points instead of making attempts to rally back. In retaliation, the Warriors liberally fouled the Knicks, in order to get the ball back after free throws and give Chamberlain the ball. Thus each team spent the last minutes fouling each other. The majority of the participants put the blame on the Knicks. Warriors forward Tom Meschery said: "The Knicks were running around like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to foul anyone but Wilt. We started inbounding the ball straight to Wilt in the forecourt."[3] However, Knicks player Richie Guerin, who scored 39 points, put the blame on the Warriors and complained: "The Warriors used any means [i.e., fouling tactics] to get the ball to Chamberlain. This had nothing to do with basketball anymore." In any case, the Warriors ended with 25 personal fouls, and the Knicks with 32, and lost Imhoff and Willie Naulls with six fouls.[2]"

The NBA. It's FANNNNNTASTIC!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #43
saldana
Pro Starter

i would nominate 0 as belonging on the list...as in the number of losses for the 1972 dolphins...i couldnt tell you the career touchdown or rushing yard marks off the top of my head, but i would be hard pressed to find a football fan that doesnt know the 72 dolphins went 14 and 0

EDIT: or i could have just quoted Troy....guess i should read the whole thread before i post

Last edited by saldana : 08-20-2007 at 06:32 PM.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #44
digamma
Torchbearer

Been said before in the thread, but when I think of the greatest sports numbers I think of jersey numbers.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #45
Tyrith
College Starter

56 was the first one that came to mind when I saw the thread title. If you're going to go with a big number, it would be however many games Cal Ripken's streak was. Baseball just leans itself towards iconic numbers.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #46
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Yes, but the number has to be instantly recalled. Anytime you have to think about it or look it up, it's not magical.

I have a problem with 18. I followed Jack for 20 years and never knew this number. It was just something they didn't harp on during the broadcasts. Besides, no one can recall how many majors (or sub-majors or whatever) any other golfer not named Nicklaus or Woods have won.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #47
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Yes, but the number has to be instantly recalled. Anytime you have to think about it or look it up, it's not magical.

I have a problem with 18. I followed Jack for 20 years and never knew this number. It was just something they didn't harp on during the broadcasts. Besides, no one can recall how many majors (or sub-majors or whatever) any other golfer not named Nicklaus or Woods have won.

While that's true, Tiger is probably the biggest star in sports right now, and during the biggest golf tournaments of the year they're ALWAYS talking about the major record now. The number isn't about Jack, it's about Tiger pursuing history. Without Tiger around I agree it's not worth all that much.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #48
McSweeny
College Starter

how about Ted Williams reaching base in 84 straight games?
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #49
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny View Post
how about Ted Williams reaching base in 84 straight games?

Cool, but I don't think I ever heard of that before (at least the actual number).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #50
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Cool, but I don't think I ever heard of that before (at least the actual number).

most people haven't, but i make a point of bringing it up whenever Joe DiMaggio's streak is brought up.

PS

over those 56 games, Ted Williams had a higher batting average.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote